Plausibility of Vampire RP

ultima_weapon

not in game yet. keyword yet. u have everything else literally in mythology but vamps is overstepping boundaries? lol hell zodiark might have his warriors of darkness drink blood and aether for all we know

Not overstepping boundaries, just being presumptuous imo.

its presumptuous to set tight limits on a game with........ everything that violates the laws of nature and physics and an ever expanding story lol before 3.0 it was thought the war of the magi wiped out all the mages but here comes Void Ark. and from a gamer persepective au ra didnt exist till 3.0. from a gamer perspective not lore and the lore was added after 3.0 so its not entirely impossible in the long run im just brainstorming ways it could be implemented before SE officially denies it or confirms it in a later expansion

There's this weird mentality some people (who are arguing in favor of something probably not fitting for the setting) have that just because there's magic in a world, or sometimes even simply if a setting is fictional, that anything goes and that "the laws of nature and physics" don't apply. That's not the case. Fiction is grounded in reality. We should assume that most things operate in XIV just as they do in the real world until/unless given evidence otherwise. SE may not tell us that Midlanders need oxygen to live, but if someone suffocates my character, she's probably gonna pass out/die, because until we're presented with evidence otherwise, it makes the most sense to assume things work as they do in real life.

And yes, vampires could be implemented in the future, or they could not, or SE could add flying pigs into the game that are called "vampires." We don't know if vampires will ever be added, and we certainly don't know what they'll be like if they are. We don't know if they'll be something sensible to play (for example, we know well enough what Primals are--that doesn't mean it's a good idea to make your character a Primal). At this point, you are simply presuming, hence being presumptuous.

presuming that something cant exist is also presumptuous and it goes back to my original post which is speculating how it could be implemented in the game. clearly nobody is going to rp a primal but its not far fetched to rp a vamp since u have everything else thats humanoid. instead of saying its impossible maybe try and be open minded? and lets take a look at one of these fictions grounded in reality:

DRK quest summary: my dark impulses take on a life of their own and become a literal physical embodiment of my anger and frustration. soooo emotions literally came to life and i had to slash it with a sword and absorb it back into me and now i have magical split personality disorder.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they're all hiding in their coffins. 

Or turned into bats.

what if they turned into bats and can't figure out how to turn back.

The bats in Qarn suck your blood. QED vampires are in the game.

that sounds like a comedic origin story i like it lol

My character was bitten by a void tainted vampire bat in Qarn, and became Eorzea's first Vampire.

simple yet effective i like it ^-^

presuming that something cant exist is also presumptuous and it goes back to my original post which is speculating how it could be implemented in the game. clearly nobody is going to rp a primal but its not far fetched to rp a vamp since u have everything else thats humanoid. instead of saying its impossible maybe try and be open minded? and lets take a look at one of these fictions grounded in reality:

DRK quest summary: my dark impulses take on a life of their own and become a literal physical embodiment of my anger and frustration. soooo emotions literally came to life and i had to slash it with a sword and absorb it back into me and now i have magical split personality disorder.

I never once said vampires could not exist. I never once said it was impossible.

I never once said vampires could not exist. I never once said it was impossible.

sounded like u were maybe i got u mixed up with the other nay sayers sry lol

Vampire Lampern seafood itemJust as the name implies Vampire Lampern is indeed a sucker of blood, using its multiple rows of teeth to latch onto its prey, whether it be on land or sea, and bore a hole from which to drink. 

Obviously the term vampire is in fact a term that refers to the drinking of blood.

If you made a deal with a voidsent for further power it is not entirely implausible for them to add a catch to drink blood as a way to destroy a person's humamity.

Vampire Lampern seafood itemJust as the name implies Vampire Lampern is indeed a sucker of blood, using its multiple rows of teeth to latch onto its prey, whether it be on land or sea, and bore a hole from which to drink. 

Obviously the term vampire is in fact a term that refers to the drinking of blood.

If you made a deal with a voidsent for further power it is not entirely implausible for them to add a catch to drink blood as a way to destroy a person's humamity.

Theoretically they'd have to have a vampire legend, otherwise they would just call it a 'bloodsucking' lampern. Or something similar.

Theoretically they'd have to have a vampire legend, otherwise they would just call it a 'bloodsucking' lampern. Or something similar.

That's what I meant ;;>.> 

Basically even though we don't see a real vampire in game the term does mean there's legend behind it. Which means most likely if someone is sucking blood from a living being, that they are most likely going to be seen as a vampire by the average person. 

Though they may not be a vampire based on Eorzea folk lore, there are lots of dark powers that come with some kind of catch which could be the traditional strengths and weaknesses of a vampire. 

We have the tools to make a literal vampire, but due to the fact we don't see a real one in game calling yourself a vampire is a major rp sin? Despite the fact there are possibilities to making one by all definition of the term. 

Eva's words to S'imba may have inspired me to play devil's advocate. /does Eva fist pump of social justice.

Vampires. Hm. Well..I'll give my two gil on this matter. The first major question would be 'is it possible to create something akin to a vampire in game?'. My reply to that would be very likely yes. Aether exists in the body and spirit, and it's likely blood can be used as a method to transfer Aether form one source to another as a catalyst. So as has been stated, someone becoming Voidsent-possessed or somehow enhanced could create an individual who gains increased physical or magical ability, and in turn has to consume blood (drawing Aether from it) in a method much like a vampire would. However, traditional vampire weaknesses such as sunlight and running water likely wouldn't do anything to the person so afflicted at all as it's more like a demonic boon than an actual vampiric curse. So it would more be an Aether-eater who uses blood as the transfer method than what we consider a traditional vampire by our own real world legends.

The major difference is there's one other thing that most vampires are able to do that such a creature wouldn't be able to. And that's create other vampires by the usual method. Voidsent curses, from what we've seen, are tailored to the individual (Amandine for example). While she attracted other voidsent with her presence, there's no indication she turned anyone into one in the mansion in Haukke. This means that a vampire as exampled above, in order to make new vampires would likely have to convince an individual to make a similar contract to the one they made, thus making vampires in this game more or less a type of voidsent cult rather than undead. And actually, if you think about it, with what we've seen with the Lambs, a vampire-inspired voidsent cult might actually make a fun story arc or something. But as far as our more traditional Nosferatu, it's unlikely it'd be the same.

Such a fantastic troll thread, I applaud the man that started this. This was the best thing to read after a shitty night's sleep.

Just to sound like I'm actually being productive in this thread (because not contributing to the thread is an offense apparently), as everyone has stated there's no such vampires in the context of real life myth. There is however a play on the concept, which is shown in Haukke manor and even the information on the Succubus. They're known to take over dead bodies and become that person once again, sounding like them and acting like them perfectly and they all do this just to steal aether and cause torment (cus that's what the Void does, make babies cry). Do Incubus do this as well? Unknown..

I'll also state the "do what you want, don't listen to everyone" statement is by far the worst thing to say when someone is asking for feedback. I'd honestly avoid it unless you're going down the route of venturing into voidsent shenanigans.

What is ruined by the inclusion of vampires?

Nothing is ruined, not exactly. People are just resistant to someone taking an idea and shoving it into a setting where it isn't explicitly supported. This is exacerbated when you have something like the OP, which makes a bunch of concessions to the lore to justify a thing that doesn't already exist, and could really be done in any number of other games or settings.

People will want to roleplay things they like, but two great tastes don't always taste great together.

Closer to the topic: As others mentioned, Voidsent are the closest thing we'll get to vampires unless SE comes right out and does more with them. We know they're drawn to corpses and it isn't unreasonable at all to have a voidtouched person crave blood. Just don't give them a list of superpowers with the offset "weakness" of things that already kill everyone else. Don't confuse vulnerability with a weakness: Conventional vampires were only able to be killed by stake, decapitation or fire. They literally didn't die to anything else. They were unkillable unless you did these things to them.

I didn't think this needed to be explicitly stated, but don't play unkillable things in RP.

Wow.....so I guess this vampire thread didnt cast flame shield (que cheesy drum).

OT though I would say there are plenty of ways to go about making an unofficial vampire in the game without HURRDURR breaking lore per se. Like mentioned already how your character functions could be explained with various void touched/aether proficient or reliant/any sort of function you want or need to make yourself happy.

Then as other people pointed out the word and description for a vampire already exists within the lore. Does that make you a vampire SE made? Nope. Could your character take inspiration from the word or in game descriptions and take to calling themselves that because they want to? Yup.

Ultimately it IS your money and you CAN do whatever you want in a game YOU paid for, and to Hell with everyone else saying nay. The issue with that approach however is that you typically dont join a MMO RP community to play by yourself. You can Rp your own head canon all day and no one can bother you about it, but what it comes down to is that you want other people to accept and play with your character.

I PERSONALLY tend to approach Rps with a set of questions in my mind.

1) Is this something I would find fun to play as or with?

2) Is this something that will be more than just a "soda fizz" phase, where something is new and exciting and then the entire novelty just dies off later and no one really has a satisfying conclusion or takes anything worthwhile from it?

3) Will I have to retcon this later or will this end up destroying my or someone else's character in the long run because it will not be able to function after devoting themselves so deeply into it?

Usually, if the answer to any of those questions is no, them I dont want to bother with the idea, and if the idea is mine, I axe it.

Not saying at all that you should do the same, but it is my opinion that if you are seriously trying to bring a concept to life then you need to think about what it is you are really proposing to someone, and how the things you would like to happen would affect someone else that would even give it the time of day.

Your Rp experience is yours, but the second you involve someone else in your ideas it affects more than just you, and I believe that should be considered more than whether or not it fits into the lore yet.

People take their characters seriously, so the second you present something even slightly potentially destructive you open a can of fire breathing worms.

Such a fantastic troll thread, I applaud the man that started this. This was the best thing to read after a shitty night's sleep.

Just to sound like I'm actually being productive in this thread (because not contributing to the thread is an offense apparently), as everyone has stated there's no such vampires in the context of real life myth. There is however a play on the concept, which is shown in Haukke manor and even the information on the Succubus. They're known to take over dead bodies and become that person once again, sounding like them and acting like them perfectly and they all do this just to steal aether and cause torment (cus that's what the Void does, make babies cry). Do Incubus do this as well? Unknown..

I'll also state the "do what you want, don't listen to everyone" statement is by far the worst thing to say when someone is asking for feedback. I'd honestly avoid it unless you're going down the route of venturing into voidsent shenanigans.

ur so quick to cry troll for no reason other than that its a subject that hasnt been brought up yet. may i interest in some popcorn to go with that salt?

Time to retire to my coffin guys lol thanks for all the responses even the disbelievers were central to the secrecy of vamps lol keep denying its what we want. And to the person who made fun of my last name which is my actual IRL name i hope all your data gets erased

:evil:

Ah, so I was correct with my earlier hypothesis then: you're not actually interested in taking feedback into account at all - you simply intend to latch onto those who say 'do what you want' and ignore everything else.

So either you're a troll (which I'm reluctant to imply since I prefer to give everybody the benefit of the doubt) or you're simply being deliberately dense and argumentative. This entire thread seems rather pointless at this point.

If you don't want to take feedback into account...why are you actually here? Many people have pointed out how you could play a 'vampire' in a way that would fit FFXIV without being too jarring. If you want to just go off and do your own thing - which seems likely given that you admitted that you mostly intend to do this idea with your friends alone - then just go and do it.

You don't need permission. You do, however, have no right to demand that everybody else accepts your idea or finds it amazing.

Time to retire to my coffin guys lol thanks for all the responses even the disbelievers were central to the secrecy of vamps lol keep denying its what we want. And to the person who made fun of my last name which is my actual IRL name i hope all your data gets erased

Ah, so I was correct with my earlier hypothesis then: you're not actually interested in taking feedback into account at all - you simply intend to latch onto those who say 'do what you want' and ignore everything else.

So either you're a troll (which I'm reluctant to imply since I prefer to give everybody the benefit of the doubt) or you're simply being deliberately dense and argumentative. This entire thread seems rather pointless at this point.

If you don't want to take feedback into account...why are you actually here? Many people have pointed out how you could play a 'vampire' in a way that would fit FFXIV without being too jarring. If you want to just go off and do your own thing - which seems likely given that you admitted that you mostly intend to do this idea with your friends alone - then just go and do it.

You don't need permission. You do, however, have no right to demand that everybody else accepts your idea or finds it amazing.

ummmm gurl chill lol i wasnt demanding anything and yes i was looking for feedback and not ppl saying how impossible it is. if u looked a few comments above someone mentioned being bit by a void tainted bat as an origin which i said was one of the few good ideas amidst the ppl limiting themselves to lore they believe is concrete. the point was to try and get creative and explore possibilities.

You completely misunderstood their intent in posting.

would like to come up with ways to rp in a lore friendly way and incorporate that into my character

This is not asking for your permission. This is not asking whether the idea is lore-compliant. This is not asking "is this a concept that Open RP world of FFXIV will accept?"

The OP is asking what ideas can make it more lore-plausible. What parts of lore can be used to make a character with traits similar to vampirism?

There is a difference. You failed to see that from your very first post.

I respectfully disagree, Kage. I've said this before but all too often someone will make a thread such as this to claim that they're interested in feedback or ideas but in reality they're only really fishing for specific responses that align with exactly what it is that they want to get out of the conversation.

That is why I pointed out the rather dubious nature of the the discussion as a whole - and as expected it has simply devolved into something that isn't particularly constructive. Perhaps the creator of the thread has simply struggled to express themselves correctly but when people are giving thoughtful feedback it tends to rub them the wrong way when their responses are brushed off with dismissive one liners.

If you go back and read through the thread you'll also see that I pointed out multiple ways in which a 'vampire' could be portrayed within FFXIV without specifically being portrayed as or referred to as the stereotypical vampire. Many other posters did the same thing - so I doubt very much that this is a case of people misunderstanding the OP's intentions, especially given their recent hostile/dismissive replies.