Plausibility of Vampire RP

ultima_weapon

i thought they did take from the environment no? or at least borrow aether which is how it can b abused harmfully

THM takes from the environment, WHM borrows from the elementals. If a WHM does not pay proper respects to the elements and get their permission, the WHM will end up using their own life aether and, eventually, kill themselves.

No.

THM takes from the caster's aether reserves. It's literally the entire plot of the THM questline.

CNJ borrows from the land.

BLM steals from the land.

WHM takes from the land, under permission of the Elementals (or at least the knowledge of how to be a WHM is guarded by the Elementals).

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a truth universally acknowledged that any roleplay community will resist, to the best of its ability, the inclusion of vampires if they are not explicitly and unambiguously described as existing in the setting.

I wish you luck, OP.

i hope in November the Void Ark opens and the mages inside try to drain us and we need culinarians to make dishes with garlic lol

This will be insufficient, you see, because those vampires are rare and unique and could never possibly be replicated by a player character, in spite of all the rare and unique things replicated by the average roleplay character. See the roleplayer response to San'layn in World of Warcraft for precedent.

I dont think Vampires were ever in any FF title tbh.

Closest thing we got was Vincent sleeping in a coffin.... And hes not even a Vampire.

Regardless ftr id like to say Werewolves are better.

there was a vampire lord in the original final fantasy as well as the job in bravely default which acts like blue mage

FF and Bravely Default are not FFXIV.

I don't think there's anything wrong with it so to speak, it's just you don't have much to work with so you'd have to do things from the ground up.

Just don't go trying to bite my lil' dumpling. The world isn't ready for a vampire popoto.

What if the players believed in the multiverse setting theory that came about as a result of the seasonals? Would that perhaps allow for vampires from another FF setting?

I don't think there's anything wrong with it so to speak, it's just you don't have much to work with so you'd have to do things from the ground up.

Just don't go trying to bite my lil' dumpling. The world isn't ready for a vampire popoto.

What if the players believed in the multiverse setting theory that came about as a result of the seasonals? Would that perhaps allow for vampires from another FF setting?

Think that revolves around if SE said things like Dissidia are canon to the timelines.

If it was canon XIV would be no exception to it. After all i take the Lightning event as canon.

Maybe instead of a direct weakness you could consider yourself nocturnal in nature? A voidsent in possession of A keeper? One who considers the draining of aether to be more intimate through blood?

I actually play a Void-touched Keeper of the Moon, and while that's a nice way to explain the character avoiding the sun, I think the bigger issue here is that the character laid out doesn't really have weaknesses.

I can't really see anybody forcing an elemental into submission. They're intangible, unknowable nature spirits that have complete control of the forest. How would an elemental turn somebody into a blood-sucking zombie weakened by sunlight? That doesn't really seem up their alley.

the allagans beat gods into submission already and the elementals made the padjal so they have some ability to create a race that doesnt age and could potentially be abused and corrupted by humans. and they are tangible they help u fight a tainted sprite in a quest and the enemy spirtes are corrupted lesser elementals

I can't really see anybody forcing an elemental into submission. They're intangible, unknowable nature spirits that have complete control of the forest. How would an elemental turn somebody into a blood-sucking zombie weakened by sunlight? That doesn't really seem up their alley.

the allagans beat gods into submission already and the elementals made the padjal so they have some ability to create a race that doesnt age and could potentially be abused and corrupted by humans. and they are tangible they help u fight a tainted sprite in a quest and the enemy spirtes are corrupted lesser elementals

The allagans were an extremely advanced precursor race that managed to imprison an ancient dragon-god in an artificial moon. Johnny Edgelord and his cutter buddies with a few scepters in the basement probably won't manage the same thing.

The elementals are beyond the power of mortals and would never create a race specifically to suck the blood/aether out of things. And there's no "beating an elemental into submission" afaik. The Allagans also don't exist anymore and haven't for a pretty long time. Until something comes out and says "Hey they made vampires because they felt like it," you probably shouldn't do it.

Maybe instead of a direct weakness you could consider yourself nocturnal in nature? A voidsent in possession of A keeper? One who considers the draining of aether to be more intimate through blood?

I actually play a Void-touched Keeper of the Moon, and while that's a nice way to explain the character avoiding the sun, I think the bigger issue here is that the character laid out doesn't really have weaknesses.

i put fire and their primary weakness. and i guess the usual decapitation and stake to the heart shouldve included that oops. didnt wanna put sunlight as a weakness since that had more to do with religious superstition since sun is holy and vamps are "unholy" along with crosses etc etc

i put fire and their primary weakness. and i guess the usual decapitation and stake to the heart shouldve included that oops. didnt wanna put sunlight as a weakness since that had more to do with religious superstition since sun is holy and vamps are "unholy" along with crosses etc etc

Fire's not exactly a primary weakness. Everybody's weak to fire. A vampire weak to fire and a human are the same. Fire kills both of them. Decapitation and stakes to the heart are methods of killing them, not weaknesses. Sunlight is an actual weakness, as it's something only vampires are weak to.

That's a single weakness to offset how many advantages? Melee characters and even several of the casting classes do not even use fire. Fire hurts everyone, so does it hurt your vampires more than it hurts normal people, or just as much? Decapitation and a stake to the heart would kill most characters, so that's not really a weakness.

Vampirism as a theme can be fabricated in many ways. One does not literally need to drink blood to be a 'vampire' as far as narrative elements and style goes. A vampire is ultimately a predator who preys on his or her own kind, so any idea you can formulate within the lore for needing to prey on others can feed into a vampire style of character. You could consume their energy, or aether, or souls, or minds, or whatever. 

Traditional vampires do not exist, but unless you're super-attached to that very specific element, there are work-arounds. 

In particular, I don't think the voidsent are too heavily understood. Lots of voidsent exist, but we don't know the full extent of what they are capable of. A 'vampire' in the context of FF14, could be as simple as a power-hungry individual who has made a Faustian deal with a powerful voidsent, and has gained some kind of power, but must now 'feed' on others to sustain it or sustain themselves.

Fire's not exactly a primary weakness. Everybody's weak to fire. A vampire weak to fire and a human are the same. Fire kills both of them. Decapitation and stakes to the heart are methods of killing them, not weaknesses. Sunlight is an actual weakness, as it's something only vampires are weak to.

dont take away my ability to sun tan in la noscea T_T nuuuuuuuu. and yes everyone's weak to fire but there's things with more aversion to it. like a grass pokemon lol maybe they could die quicker from fire attacks than a normal person would? like people could survive Flare but my character wouldnt

To put it so everyone is happy and not talking in circles which will eventuall get annoying to sift through I'll just say it.

Do what the hell you want, it's your 15 a month to spend. And find other people who like your idea.

Just dont go around biting people and expecting them to roll with it. They pay 15 a month to not be forced to deal with you and vampires.

Excuse me now while i go petition i get a fucking werewolf in this game like Skyrim.

It's much more trouble than it's worth. The closest you could get - unless there's ever some actual vampires explicitly added to the setting - is to just create a character that happens to feast upon blood; perhaps deluded into believing that they can gain power from it. If you look into the story surrounding Haukke Manor then it's strongly implied (or perhaps even outright stated) that Lady Amandine bathed in the blood of virgin maidens in a desperate attempt to recover her beauty after being scarred during the Calamity.

Something like that would work well. Yet actual vampires, in the typical sense? Most people will just avoid interacting with you as they're not something explicitly shown to exist within the setting and it'd take quite a bit of leaping to justify them existing in the classic form.

To put it so everyone is happy and not talking in circles which will eventuall get annoying to sift through I'll just say it.

Do what the hell you want, it's your 15 a month to spend. And find other people who like your idea.

Just dont go around biting people and expecting them to roll with it. They pay 15 a month to not be forced to deal with you and vampires.

Excuse me now while i go petition i get a fucking werewolf in this game like Skyrim.

lol i will petition with you i like werewolves as well and would make a monsters FC. hell in Dragon age someone made werewolves by subverting a nature spirit and putting it into a wolf which is where i got my inspiration for this from

There are a lot of reasons to disagree with or dislike an idea in roleplay, but I'm always disheartened when I see people whip out the ol' "it doesn't exist in lore so no" chestnut.

Between flavor text on Leves, stuff mentioned offhand by NPCs, and things pretty carelessly revealed or elaborated upon by Sightseeing Logs, Postmoogle Quests, etc., it's a safe bet that there's a lot we don't know about FFXIV's lore that could justify a whole host of stuff.

Really, when it comes to making a concession about what could exist in FFXIV, the question should never simply be whether it could. Because the answer is, of course it could.

jeff-goldblum.jpg

The right question to ask is why it should.

Is the story you're going to tell using this contrivance going to be compelling and inclusive? Is it going to incorporate what exists in the universe already in an interesting and thought-provoking way? Is it going to inspire and entertain people? Then it will probably gain a wide acceptance in the community.

On the other hand, are you trying to shoehorn something from another universe entirely into this one? Just something you like or are a fan of? Is it something without precedent, extrapolated from nothing in particular in the game world, just because this is a convenient venue for you (and your friends) to do so in?

Well then, more power to you! But don't be surprised if not a lot of people are interested in acknowledging you in-character. Most folks like their roleplay to be consistent with the world that most of the game is occupied with, so that there is no sense of cognitive dissonance or loss of immersion.

That's why you'll find a lot of people shooting down topics like this, even when they might otherwise be optimistic about playing around with what could be possible.

lol i will petition with you i like werewolves as well and would make a monsters FC. hell in Dragon age someone made werewolves by subverting a nature spirit and putting it into a wolf which is where i got my inspiration for this from

..... Call up a press meeting. We're doing this shit.

To the people saying "don't listen to them, you can do what you want!!" I appreciate the message and it's really nice you're being supportive, but I don't think anyone has told the OP he can't do anything? He came here for feedback, and he's receiving it.

Nobody is physically going to prevent anybody else from role-playing whatever they wish. I don't think we need to go through the same song and dance in every thread and lace every word with sugar and disclaimers to highlight that.

Now, one thing I'm very curious about is whether the creator of this thread is genuinely open to taking feedback into account or whether they've decided that they're going to go ahead with the idea no matter what advice is given. All too often we end up with a situation where a controversial idea is pitched, people highlight reasons as to why it wouldn't work/might need major improvements...and then it turns out that after multiple pages of back and forth debating the original poster simply latched onto those who agreed with their idea and ignored everything else.

All that jazz about holy water, sunlight, and the cross, that's just silly superstition!  We'll stick to stakes, decapitation, and fire, and maybe the whole sleeping in the soil of their homeland thing.

Nobody is physically going to prevent anybody else from role-playing whatever they wish. I don't think we need to go through the same song and dance in every thread and lace every word with sugar and disclaimers to highlight that.

Now, one thing I'm very curious about is whether the creator of this thread is genuinely open to taking feedback into account or whether they've decided that they're going to go ahead with the idea no matter what advice is given. All too often we end up with a situation where a controversial idea is pitched, people highlight reasons as to why it wouldn't work/might need major improvements...and then it turns out that after multiple pages of back and forth debating the original poster simply latched onto those who agreed with their idea and ignored everything else.

im just looking for feedback and alternatives to how to incorporate my character's story. i liked the idea of manipulating nature spirits since it diverts from the usual pacts with demonic spirits as the origin or vampirism and the rp is mostly for me and my friends. i just wanted to see whats possible with magical creations based on what we know so far

All that jazz about holy water, sunlight, and the cross, that's just silly superstition!  We'll stick to stakes, decapitation, and fire, and maybe the whole sleeping in the soil of their homeland thing.

i like the sleeping in the soil idea. gives a more naturey vibe to it ^_^