Keepers and Astromancy

I was wondering...could a non-Sharlayan Keeper become an astromancer? In the lore Keepers think that wearing face paint grants them Menphina's power/blessing, and I was wondering if it's because of some using aether from the constellations (similar to Astrologians, and they think it's Menphina's blessing or something). Maybe this could lead to some Keepers, despite not having a formal education, being able to read star charts and be trained as Astrologians.

Well I think that you could already be dabbling in fate, one of the twelve even covers that. How you bridge that extra step to astralogian could come from many routes. These routes could then lead to some formal training.

You could IC be at any point on that journey, and even just mix it in with other talents.

My own keeper was a fortune teller  and reading the stars and their energy before astralogian was a thing. IC she has embraced some of the teachings and assimilated some of the basics into her character. She is a Witch and Fortune Teller not an astralogian.

If your asking if the magical practice of being an Astrologian can originate anywhere else but Sharlayan then no.

If you're asking if you can have a Keeper that had a fascination with stars and constellations, Ewer in particular, well then....Yes. Perhaps that will lead them to seeking someone out to teach them Sharlayan Astromancy.

Thank you for responding guys :D Hmm, I guess what I had in mind was more along the lines of Conjury, but drawing aether from constellations rather than the immediate surroundings.

The idea came from: 1.0's CC mentioned "Keeper occultism," "Keeper archery," and from seeing the poacher enemies using Conjury. From what I've read, the power of Conjury comes from nature and the Elementals, from using aether in your surroundings. I thought the Elementals controlled Conjury and who uses it, but seeing enemies utilise it made me consider alternatives. So with a class revolving around astronomy and the Keeper's culture, I wondered if they could utilise astromancy, being Conjurers that draw aether from constellations rather than the method most are familiar with?

No. Astromancy is a Sharlayan only thing. NPCs in Limsa don't even know of it, and you would think with them having Arcanists, and maps, and pirates, and going onto the sea, they would know. But they really don't.

You can, however learn it in Ishgard these days. But your char would be a scub astro at best.

Or you can have her have travelled in her past to Sharlayan I suppose.

Anyhow, have a astro lore summary here.

Elementals keep a certain control over Succor (White Magic), not conjury.

Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up for me! I got confused somewhere and thought that Conjury and Succour were the same (hence I was really confused when I saw poachers using Conjury). I read about Conjury lore a couple of months ago; but clearly I need to take another look :) 

No. Astromancy is a Sharlayan only thing. NPCs in Limsa don't even know of it, and you would think with them having Arcanists, and maps, and pirates, and going onto the sea, they would know. But they really don't.

You can, however learn it in Ishgard these days. But your char would be a scub astro at best.

Or you can have her have travelled in her past to Sharlayan I suppose.

Anyhow, have a astro lore summary here.

Hmm, the job is more nation-locked than I thought. Thank you for that link. Unfortunately, at this point she wouldn't have an opportunity to visit Sharlayan. So based on the information here it looks like she'll become a Conjurer. 

Thank you for all of your responses everyone!! Now I know what route I should with my character's class :)

Region locked, I suppose but you will hit Lore walls with whitemage also. This is a problem using the msq and classes to define a character.

While there are guilds for the main caster classes there are other ways you could get into things. Someone could have taught you, you could have found a book or similar to learn from.

Right now there are PC astralogians all over the place.

I suppose I'm saying don't feel you are constrained by the msq and classes.

Oh okay, thank you for clearing that up for me! I got confused somewhere and thought that Conjury and Succour were the same (hence I was really confused when I saw poachers using Conjury). I read about Conjury lore a couple of months ago; but clearly I need to take another look :) 

Think I can help on this front. I have a Conjury and Succor Lore compilation that goes into some of the background, specifics, and differences between the two magicks - succor being the magic of the elementals and the padjal and conjury being the magic of moogles that was taught to man. Conjury can be taught in a number of places throughout Eorzea, such as Stillglade Fane, Ishgard's Scholasticate, or Sharlayan's Studium. It can also be naturally inherited by those born as Hearers, but still requires some training to use properly.

There's a few Gridanian levequests that talk about how many people both in the city and out are being taught how to conjure.

A rumor that the popular "Cure" spell can help to calm children experiencing nightmares has prompted parents across the city-state to dabble in the arts of conjury. This' date=' in turn, has increased the demand for quality conjury arms. To ensure their supply will not run dry, Black Rabbit Traders seek the talents of skilled woodworkers.[/quote']

In the aftermath of the Calamity' date=' the Wood Wailers found themselves ill equipped to solve the problems that confronted them, spears being of little benefit to the sick and wounded. At the recommendation of Stillglade Fane, many of the guild's lancers accordingly took up staves and crooks that they might wield the magicks of the conjurers and thereby help set the city-state's people back on their feet. Five years on, this practice has become official policy, each new member of the Wood Wailers now being required to learn several basic restorative spells. To aid their training, the guild requires large quantities of conjurer's arms and seeks talented carpenters to craft them.[/quote']

While the Wood Wailers have men and women stationed at almost every major outpost in the Twelveswood' date=' they cannot be everywhere at once, so it is crucial that those people living outside the protective walls of Gridania are capable of defending themselves. Representatives from the Lancers' Guild travel the forest, offering free training programs to all interested, but require the help of carpenters to create the weapons used in the exercises.[/quote']

As for Astromancy and stargazing, like it's been said, the Astrologian class is a specifically Sharlayan magic. The Ishgardians of 300 years ago learned that they could use the teachings of this magic to predict dragon attacks, and unfortunately that's about as far as their interest in the stars went for the most part. That said, Ishgard and Gridania have been close allies for nearly 100 years and in that time its possible that Ishgardian astrologians could've had some influence on Gridanian astrology. Though, interestingly, it's not the Conjurers' Guild which tracks the skies and constellations in Gridania...

“The future is but a reflection of the past”—so wrote Saint Coinach, who dedicated his life to excavating the ruins of the ancient Allagan Empire that the wisdom of ages past might be recovered. Inspired by his words, this reporter paid visit to the Quiver's Hold and requested permission to peruse the records of old.

For over 150 years, the men and women of the Gods' Quiver have held vigil over the Twelveswood's skies for Ixali dirigibles. The logs which they keep are so meticulously detailed as to include mention of the weather. Browsing through the nigh endless piles of parchment bearing such information, I finally came upon that which I sought: a reference to a blood-red Dalamud from ten summers past. On the night in question, an archer on duty at a guard station in the East Shroud noted that the lesser moon was giving off a reddish glow and promptly reported the development to Stillglade Fane. This anomaly, however, proved to be fleeting; by the time dawn broke, Dalamud had reverted to its normal hue, with scarce more than a handful of souls having borne witness to the baffling occurrence.

This can be another avenue for your Twelveswood-bound Keeper to learn, practice, or appreciate the stars. Though there's no magic or astromancy involved in the latter two Eorzean incarnations of the Sharlayan magic (Ishgardian and Gridanian), it shows that the knowledge base could be there and made available to those in the Shroud. Keepers of the Moon may have their own knowledge, theories, and mythologies about the celestial bodies based on racial lore, but of course that's up to your own headcanon for the family.

TL;DR - The magic would be different, but the knowledge base could easily be there. Actually learning to draw energies from the constellations in the specific way Sharlayans do would require a trip to Ishgard (which isn't far from Gridania) or for an Astrologian to take up residence in the Wood somewhere.