Age/Race for Displaced Ishgardian Youth?

So her name is Madeleine "Maddie" Chastain.  She's originally from the village beyond the ice wall (Falcon's Nest?) but was separated from her family during all the confusion.  Said family wasn't common-born, but they weren't nobility either, just high enough that mingling with commoners was a no-no for her and her siblings.  Her father was a knight in the war effort; her mother was a chirurgeon. Given how mischievous and innocent she seems to be (she's certain, probably incorrectly, that other members of her family survived), I'd bet cookies to donuts that she's got to be either relatively young or somehow sheltered post-separation.

So here's the problem...what would be her age and race?  If I remember MSQ right, Falcon's Nest was cut off during or around the time of the Calamity.  In order to be well-off as an Ishgardian, she most likely has to be Elezen with a possibility of Hyur (could explain the father's drive and strict denouncement of outsiders/heretics/etc...not wanting to accidentally lose their "status").  Because of her family history, she's positioned to be well-educated with a wide variety of learned skills (albeit nothing specialized due to the young age she was separated), so she could also theoretically swing as an Elezen child of 12-14 years (a la Lalafell character model similar to the "12 summers" girl in Gridania) masquerading as an adult Lalafell to get by.

Now, if there was a convincing way to have a Miqo'te or Au Ra in that situation...from a model standpoint, I'd find that preferable, but I don't think the lore really fits outside of "adopted." Buuuut I also have doubts that Ishgard would be open to adopting outsider children...even a "curiosity" like an Au Ra.  :frustrated: The Elezen are just too tall, and the Midlander run cycle is just kinda derpy. I'm figuring I'll roll her as a Midlander for now, but I'm pretty sure I'll get annoyed at that dratted run cycle before too much time goes by...though maybe it will fit a sheltered Ishgardian?

Edit: Oh gods, I just realized that the character I renamed and Fantasia'd for this has a grand total of 0 gil, practically no clothing other than the veteran's rewards (finagled a cute outfit out of it though) and some low-grade leather-working equipment and no weapons or items other than a leather-working tool. I suppose she could join the marauder's guild for an axe, but where's the fun in that! ;)

Don't know enough Au Ra to comment on them in particular, but every prominent Eorzean race (Highlanders, Miqo'te, Lalas, and Roe) were present as Ishgardian citizens (usually guards/knights) in the original depictions of the Coerthas zones in 1.0.

Really?  From reading lore posts, I got the impression that the nobility were Elezen and that the guards and knights were predominantly Elezen with a scattering of Hyur.  Does this still hold in 2.0?  I can't recall seeing anything other than those two races in the areas of Coerthas pre-Heavensward.  Although I've had access to Ishgard for awhile on my main on Ultros, I never bothered to enter the city proper (was catching up on gear at the time), so I'm not sure what differences there are inside (other than that there are a pair of adorable Miqo'te kittens, of course!).

Mind you, in the past Au ra were confused for Dravanians, and slaughtered in masses. Take that as you will. (DRK questline if you want to read where!)

I thought I remembered hearing something along those lines.  Pretty sure even considering adopting an Au Ra would have been grounds for a visit from the Inquisitors.  Those blokes don't mess around. :dodgy:

Really?  From reading lore posts, I got the impression that the nobility were Elezen and that the guards and knights were predominantly Elezen with a scattering of Hyur.

Ishgard is definitely a majority Elezen and Midlander Hyur, no question. Especially in the ranks of nobility.

The knights I mentioned were all stationed in parts of Coerthas that were either destroyed by the Calamity or not made accessible in 2.0. Among them was K'leytai, an Ishgardian Gatewarden (a class of 1.0 NPCs who guarded aetherytes with a military rank equatable to captain) who survived the destruction of the Coerthas Western Highlands and joined the Adventurer's Guild in Mor Dhona.

There's a lot of varying opinions about what holds up as canon but I RP an Ishgardian and the way I normally view it is that pretty much anyone from the Foundation up is either Elezen or Hyur with Hyur being a minority.

I wouldn't say it's out of the question to find a Miqo'te in Ishgard but they'd likely be a Brume rat, poor and a victim of a vast amount of racism.

Given that you're planning for this character to have a middle/upper class upbringing with family in the Knights I'd say you're pretty much locked into Elezen or Hyur.

Miqo'te were featured as gate guards in 1.0 but since the 2.0 game and lore updates we've never really seen any ever featured as any Ishgardian citizenry. As such, it's makes me doubtful that they really hold much, if any of a place in the population.

This is, however, my opinion.

As a player of a female Midlander, they really are not that bad. They grow on you and IMO are one of the more attractive races.

My rule is usually the same in all of these situations.

If you are having fun Rping, and YOU like your character...then you are probably doing it right.

People can sit around all day and give you reasons why you shouldn't do A B or C, but if you can play it well, put a good spin on a concept and make it work...then you are doing exactly what should be done in the process of making an interesting character.

Does that mean I should make a Roe who is actually Zeus? Probably not...but an Au Ra who by some twist of fate wound up there...? Why not? Is it totally unreasonable to think that good could have shown through a couples heart and gotten them to risk taking a child, who might face harsh prejudice in? Sure..that sounds entirely like something I'd expect to see in a fantasy setting. That sounds like the shapings of crafting a background story.

So...whatever NPC's are were..and what we see in cut scenes...at the end of the day that view is made for the WoL, and the rest of the world is a big ass place with a hell of a lot more people than he/she will ever come across. So have fun with it.

YOU will sell your character far more than a backstory will anyway, and if done well you'll have lots of people to interact with no matter what.

I mean....look at all the voidsent Rpers? ^_^ ( I note I'm actully one of them to a well played degree :tonberry: )

So here's the problem...what would be her age and race?  If I remember MSQ right, Falcon's Nest was cut off during or around the time of the Calamity.  In order to be well-off as an Ishgardian, she most likely has to be Elezen with a possibility of Hyur (could explain the father's drive and strict denouncement of outsiders/heretics/etc...not wanting to accidentally lose their "status").  Because of her family history, she's positioned to be well-educated with a wide variety of learned skills (albeit nothing specialized due to the young age she was separated), so she could also theoretically swing as an Elezen child of 12-14 years (a la Lalafell character model similar to the "12 summers" girl in Gridania) masquerading as an adult Lalafell to get by.

After the Calamity 5 years ago, Ishgard experienced a perpetual winter. Soon after the snows began, the lakes in western Coerthas froze and the ice crept to the Gargoyle Pass, sealing it in ice. Today, this ice wall is called Snowcloak, but it did trap many of the residents of western Coerthas (Falcon's Nest, Hemlock, Gorgagne Mills, Dusk Vigil...) behind in the worst of the winter. A little bit more lore about these settlements can be found in the Eorzean Settlements Timeline.

As for having a background of well-off knights, you might first want to move your backstory away from Falcon's Nest. Prior to its destruction in the Calamity, it was a very humble and poor hamlet, notable only for its shepherds and falconers. A knight of some prestige would've been more likely to have been stationed or living in the Dusk Vigil at the time, and had some affiliation with House Durendaire. If your family were artisans of repute, I'd have suggested Hemlock.

As for the race thing, Elezen are the majority race in Ishgard, followed by Hyur, with very small populations of the other races as well. Elezen and Hyur have equal chances of becoming nobility, so you don't need to feel pressured into Elezen. There are plenty of Hyuran nobility running around Heavensward.

Now, if there was a convincing way to have a Miqo'te or Au Ra in that situation...from a model standpoint, I'd find that preferable, but I don't think the lore really fits outside of "adopted." Buuuut I also have doubts that Ishgard would be open to adopting outsider children...even a "curiosity" like an Au Ra.

Au Ra is tricky because of the very limited number of times Xaela have traveled to Eorzea in the past, most of them have been slaughtered within a matter of a few months. The first Xaela tribe to come to Ishgard was about 25-30 years ago and there was only one survivor.

The first Ishgardians to encounter Au Ra saw Dravanians. We had fled Garlemald’s armies only to come to a land where we were mistaken for another nation’s mortal enemy. They bared steel and came to kill us…but we did not die so easily. We spared them and sent them on their way…and how do you think they repaid our kindness? With fire and blood! With death for every man, woman, and child!

…I was about Rielle’s age when I came to Ishgard. My parents, they…they said we would find a better life here. When the Temple Knights we had shown mercy returned, they let us choose the order in which we would die. That would be their mercy to us, they declared.

Nowadays, there is less confusion about Au Ra being dragons and the race now faces less animosity in Eorzea. However, they're still quite rare and likely would not have been in Ishgard around the timeframe you're looking for. Much less in a position of wealth or nobility.

Miqo'te is also a tricky one. Also a topic that has sparked debate before. Miqo'te existed in Coerthas in the 1.0 version of the game, along with every other race. However, the ARR version does a pretty horrendous job at displaying proper racial demographics in pretty much every city-state, and races besides Elezen and Midlanders go unrepresented with game models despite their being there in quest/levequest lore (see: Highlanders, Roegadyn).

This has pretty much given rise to the belief that because they aren't there and RPers can't see them, they're not there and its impossible to RP as one. Which is why I post this:

kVK62B7.png

Areas marked in red are where Miqo'te appear in Eorzea if we ignore 1.0 distribution and look only at ARR model demographics. As you can see there are Miqo'te populations surrounding Coerthas on all sides, with several Miqo'te-heavy city-states actively engaging in trade with Ishgard for the last hundred-plus years. Gridania and Sharlayan being the two biggest and geographically closest, but also Ul'dah and Limsa Lominsa. Now, including 1.0 lore, there were a few Miqo'te Gatewardens, captains of the knights who protected the aetheryte camps and the surrounding regions. Also Lalafell.

So if you want to play a Miqo'te, play a Miqo'te. There's no reason they can't be in Ishgard. Now, could they be wealthy, respected nobility? That would likely require a more specific backstory involving the father slaying a dragon.

The only way to gain the power of nobility is through a truly noble display of courage. There's one simple way to do that - slay a monstrous' date=' ancient dragon. There are some feats that cannot be ignored.[/quote']

Granted' date=' such work will not earn you a lordship like slaying a dragon might, but it pays well and is far less prone to end in incineration...[/quote']

More lore on Ishgard, dragons, dragoons, etc can be found in the links below:

-Ishgardian Lore Compilation

-(Updated) Dragoon/Dragon Lore

-Eorzean Settlements Timeline

I wouldn't say it's out of the question to find a Miqo'te in Ishgard but they'd likely be a Brume rat, poor and a victim of a vast amount of racism.

Okay, have to step in here. With the exception of 1) the first Xaela who came to Ishgard and 2) those of mixed-race parentage (which is highly taboo across ALL Eorzea), Ishgard has demonstrated very little in the way of racism. Rampant xenophobia, yes! But not racism, there is a difference.

In a systemically racist state, such as Gridania, we see things like Duskwights and Keepers of the Moon being targeted for their race, being denied in many cases employment, food, fair treatment in trade. Duskwights are given the derogatory name, "Greys," and are outright stated to be untrustworthy and more than likely criminals to avoid should you encounter one.

In Ishgard we see none of that. We see a mistrusting of "outsiders" and "foreigners" but nothing in regards to their race. A foreign Elezen would face the same mistrust as a foreign Roegadyn. Hells, the Elezen from the Pillars look down on the Elezen from the Brume. There don't seem to be any racial barriers that make it more difficult or even impossible for those of other races to achieve the same stature as their Elezen counterparts.

A Hyur can kill a dragon and become a dragoon just as well as an Elezen.

I have to climb higher. I have to raise my status through merit. I have to─

There are Roegadyn temple knights even in ARR.

A hearty hail to you' date=' adventurer. I am Dyrstweitz, son of Dyrstweitz. I serve House Dzemael, as did my father and his father before him. Like them, I have sworn a solemn oath to protect the count’s lands and holdings from any and all that would do them harm. Originally designed to provide protection against air and land attacks from the Wyrmking’s horde, construction on the Darkhold began several generations ago when Count Dzemael, fifty-third of his line and lord of House Dzemael - greatest of the four high houses of Ishgard - discovered a hidden network of caves while foxing near the Nail.[/quote']

Alberic Bale, a Hyur, was selected as an Azure Dragoon, the champion of Ishgard. There is no single greater honor in all Ishgard.

The Azure Dragoon is the light of hope for all Ishgardians' date=' and the paragon of all dragoons.[/quote']

When Highlander and Roegadyn mercenaries come under the employ of House Fortemps, the knights say nothing about the merc's race, they mention only their distaste for their profession.

Indeed' date=' the count has but recently seen fit to hire foreign sellswords for their experience and knowledge of other lands. You are to work with Oschon's Raiders, one such company under our banner. Their captain, Haimirich, can be found between jobs at the Forgotten Knight. No doubt he is enjoying the excellent ale. Whatever his profession, I do think Haimirich a man of honor. I have even joined him for a cup at the Forgotten Knight.[/quote']

Also, here's a Dzemael knight talking about his fellow Roegadyn in arms, Dyrstweitz and Raenhyml. Note that Dzemael is one of the High Houses who is most vocal about their mistrust of outsiders and do not hire foreign sellswords at all. Meaning, the Roegadyn under their banner are native Ishgardians.

My brothers and I are knights of House Dzemael. The count has ordered us to stand guard over the Darkhold and prevent any unauthorized entry by persons of suspicious intent. This includes you' date=' adventurer. Begone, or I shall have you removed.[/quote']

There's a number of Hyuran nobility in game as well, like Gerhardt or Glenda. And Hyuran knight commanders of the various High House knights, like Redwald, who actually inherited Ser Yuhelmeric Brillelame's position. Redwald even says this:

Mayhap your deeds here will serve to demonstrate the folly in continuing to exclude foreigners from our lands. With more hardworking men and women like you' date=' Ishgard would be much the stronger.[/quote']

And there's Highlanders who've been in Coerthas since the fall of Ala Mhigo:

During the fall of Ala Mhigo' date=' hundreds of refugees were forced to flee their homes, taking only what they could carry and leaving the rest of their possessions behind. [b']Many of those who survived the exodus found refuge in the hamlets of Coerthas[/b] and Thanalan, however, were soon faced with poverty, often lacking the coin to buy clothes enough to protect them from the elements. Black Rabbit Traders has heard their cries for help, and has devised a plan to help the Ala Mhigans while ridding the Twelveswood of troublesome poachers in the process. The outfit is hiring adventurers to seek out Humblehearth poachers and slay the criminals, then bring their jerkins back to the Black Rabbit so they can fix them up and sell them to the refugees at a price they can afford.

So, TL;DR: Ishgard racist? Not really no. Ishgard xenophobic? Much more so, yes. Though they do seem to be getting better about that as the events of Heavensward progress.

/endrant

/deepbreath

Hope this all helps! ^^;

I disagree mainly because I find treating half breed children poorly and looking down on interracial couples as...well. Racist. And between the two most populous and explored races in the city state this exists. From there I pretty much draw that races that would be major minorities such as Lalafel or Miqote probably have a harder time than their Hyuran and Elezen cousins. That's my opinion and thought process from what's been displayed lorewise. Just makes sense to me, I guess.

The thing about halfbreeds though is that miscegenation and interracial breeding tends to be extremely stigmatized in pretty much all of Eorzea. I don't know if I'd say racism doesn't exist in Ishgard so much as it is not as prominent and central to the culture of the nation in the same vein as Gridania.

I would expect Ishgardians to be more surprised at the rarer sight of a rising mi'qote or lala or even roe in social ranks than outright against it, if merit has been shown. So yes I would reasonably expect those races to have a slightly harder time overall to rise in Ishgard, not because people will do what they can to prevent them to do so, but more because of the "not expected" factor. Not something you see everyday.

I disagree mainly because I find treating half breed children poorly and looking down on interracial couples as...well. Racist. And between the two most populous and explored races in the city state this exists. From there I pretty much draw that races that would be major minorities such as Lalafel or Miqote probably have a harder time than their Hyuran and Elezen cousins. That's my opinion and thought process from what's been displayed lorewise. Just makes sense to me, I guess.

I think the larger issue there is, racist in OUR world and what would be the racism in this fantasy world really isn't the same thing. We can't define it using the same tools really, because the history we base our feelings on that topic on, doesn't really exist in this setting.

I'd imagine the fear and disdain of an interracial couple in this world is less about racism, and more about the worry of what can happen from it. We aren't talking about people with different skin tones, we are talking about near giants, tiny potatoes, cats, and dragon people. I'm sure on a subconscious level there would be some natural cringe factor and concern...even if it wasn't completely understood by the character experiencing it. And that's besides the concerns and curiosities of how mating even works....just look at the Ochre Boulder situation lol.

That said though... Wasn't Tataru being the fist Lalafell the Ishgardians saw? I remember some NPC remarking on her race in specific during the MSQ.

It wouldn't shock me if less lalafel were in Ishgard to begin with, based less on any racial commentary, and based more on what benefit they would get there. It might just be my view of the spuds, but I don't see a lot of growth or profit for them in that region, not to mention the climate...it wouldn't be worthwhile for them to set up much there..beyond maybe a trade route or something. Its also likely not worth the danger of the conflicts there.

Yes, the mistreatment of mix-race children is most definitely racist. However, this is a form of prejudice that is prevalent across the entirety of Eorzea and is not specific to Ishgard. Furthermore, there is no evidence supporting that the minority races are met with any of this prejudice that's shown towards Hilda (with the exception of the first Au Ra). Which is what I was trying to lay out above.

Here's some quotes I found talking about Hilda and her Hyuran mother.

'Twas naught more than infatuation' date=' what she felt, but she convinced herself it was love...and he couldn't help but take advantage. But when her belly started to grow, gods, the scandal! I mean, 'tis not an uncommon occurrence, but that it was with a Hyur made it so much, well...I needn't tell you. She was discharged from their service─cast out onto the streets, like so much refuse.[/quote']

*Hierytha is also a Hyuran noblewoman. The distinction of the affair being with a Hyur is, racist yes, but again falls in line with mixed relationships, and that this prejudice is commonplace across all Eorzea. The Hyuran girl is prejudiced against for her choice in dalliance, but Hyur as a whole are not prejudiced against or prevented from attaining wealth/station/employment/etc that would be found in a systemic racist state.

Further quotes even talk about how Hilda's Hyuran mother was actually very well liked on her own. It's just her child who suffered:

This scent...how reminiscent of a wine once made by a dear old friend' date=' may her soul rest in peace... Forsaken by her family, she toiled tirelessly to feed and clothe her child. Yet somehow she found time to help me tend to those in even worse circumstances, so compassionate she was, so full of love for her fellow man. 'Twas that love which gave her child strength to endure the scorn of the other younglings... That little girl, bless her heart, she couldn't help what she was. Eventually, she won them over, but those first few years were trying─even more so when she had to start fending for herself.[/quote']

Let me guess: you're wondering why I chose “The Mongrel' date='” right? Because it's what I am, and I'm not ashamed of it. Not anymore. Besides, even my pureblood pups have more in common with me than the lords and ladies up on high. The none of 'em are well-bred. [b']Hells, some of their mothers were cast out after a spot of fun, same as mine.[/b] Story old as time─and one we're sick of hearing, which is why we took up arms. Not that we mean to hold all the blue bloods to account. Some have done right by us, I'll allow, like them in House Haillenarte.

So while there's undue animosity directed at Hilda for being a "mongrel", she and several conversations with Gibrillont clarify that several bastard children face similar prejudice, even if they're not mixed race, like Aymeric. Take into account also nobles versus brumeborn and the prejudice held against their own races of differing social standing and the race issue becomes even more diluted.

Then there's the aforementioned Roegadyn knights loyal to House Dzemael, perhaps the single most xenophobic and self-absorbed House of the four. Yet there are multiple Roegadyn knights, some serving Dzemael for generations. With Yvelont, an Elezen knight calling them brothers.

I went back and looked through the entire documented Heavensward MSQ looking for text that Virella was referencing. Unfortunately, none of the texts seemed to include the little side conversations happening around Tataru in the open world between quests (such as when Tataru is dazzling the patrons as a dancer), but several quotes from Tataru seem to indicate that she's quite popular in the Tavern and that she enjoys chatting with the patrons.

At first' date=' the people here were a bit standoffish, but with a little effort─and a lot of parley─I've managed to make plenty of friends![/quote']

'Twas the least I could do. Now' date=' I must be getting back to the tavern, or I'll never catch up with all the gossip! Best of luck on your journey![/quote']

If you haven't yet' date=' you should learn the Manderville art of parley. It's surprisingly effective─so long as you stick to topics you know well. For example, the other day I was discussing the copper ore market with this one gentleman...[/quote']

There is this bit of text from The Measure of a Mammet if you are Lalafell:

One of them wossname...Lalafells' date=' right? Funny little buggers─er, present company excepted, like. He, er...seemed. Seemed keen to be anywhere but here. ...Good people, you Lalafells. Industrious folk, salt of the earth─like that waitress they've got down at the Forgotten Knight. Though I doubt you sing or dance half as well as she does, eh? Wh-Which is fine! I ain't judging.[/quote']

So yeah, sorry Virella, I couldn't find the quote you were referencing, but I found another quote that seems in a similar vein. That is, Lalafell being so rare in Ishgard-proper that most aren't very familiar with them.

Again, like I said in the above post, not disputing that non-Elezen/Hyur are an extreme rarity in Ishgard, they most certainly are and were even in 1.0, but they do not seem to face overt discrimination.

To my surprise, I even found a reference to the Garlond Ironworks being a regular sight in Ishgard in recent months. There are a number of Miqo'te, Lalafell, and pureblood Garleans among the Ironworkers.

In search of a “Cid Garlond' date='” you say? Then say no more! The taverns are full of talk, and the name of said silver-haired genius has cropped up more often than most. I hear he has been tasked with getting that monstrous airship the Holy See commissioned to actually fly. 'Twould seem the project has been plagued with mishaps from the first. In any case, Garlond Ironworks employees are known to frequent the airship landing, and I'll wager their master does too.[/quote']

The Ishgardians have granted us the use of a small corner of their workshop─all part of the agreement. I think you'll see we've made the most of the space...

There are also a few questlines where foreign Miqo'te come to Ishgard and similarly receive no stigma. In fact, Mujih from the BTN questline has/makes quite a few Ishgardian friends and contacts who don't at all mind her race.

While you go about your gathering' date=' I've a mind to do some gathering of my own─for information here in the Holy See![/quote']

Indeed' date=' it's my business to know people, and I happen to know just the person you're looking for! Martineau is his name, and he's no less than the foremost herbalist in all of Ishgard! I'll arrange a meeting right away![/quote']

So, racism aside, here's what quotes I found related to xenophobia while I was digging for Tataru conversations:

Given that our borders have remained closed for decades' date=' many of my countrymen are unaccustomed to treating with foreigners. Should anyone happen to question your presence here, it may prove necessary to remind them that you remain under the protection of House Fortemps.[/quote']

Accordingly' date=' we will have need of sundry goods, hence our desire to make your acquaintance. That is, of course, assuming you are content to accept the custom of foreigners. Should you be uncomfortable—[/quote']

Young sir' date=' we do not discriminate in matters of money. If you have coin to spend, who are we to refuse it? Weapons, armor, accoutrements, medicine, materials—whatever your desire, it can be found in the Crozier. Our merchants will be more than happy to accommodate you, as you shall soon see.[/quote']

Lest you forget' date=' foreign merchants were subject to a frankly unreasonable level of scrutiny until relatively recently. No so now, however. Now, goods from every corner of Eorzea flow into our markets. And that, my friend, is a change we can all appreciate.[/quote']

To plant foreign seeds upon Ishgardian soil... Such thoughtlessness cannot be borne.

So, let me revise my previous statement. Is there racism in Ishgard? No more than any other city-state and lore evidence seems to direct it almost exclusively at mix-race children. Again, something that is stigmatized throughout all of Eorzea. The minority races we see in Heavensward (Highlander, Roegadyn, Miqo'te, and Lalafell) are all well received, even the foreigners, so long as they show merits.

Ugh, excuse my tangent though. Race locks peeve me off.

It wouldn't shock me if less lalafel were in Ishgard to begin with, based less on any racial commentary, and based more on what benefit they would get there. It might just be my view of the spuds, but I don't see a lot of growth or profit for them in that region, not to mention the climate...it wouldn't be worthwhile for them to set up much there..beyond maybe a trade route or something. Its also likely not worth the danger of the conflicts there.

Ignoring their more dire conditions post Calamity, Ishgard was always a fairly wealthy nation. In fact it was Ishgard's offer to open trade that drew Ul'dah into the Autumn War in support of Gridania. Having sole control over the entire Eorzean chocobo population probably contributes to that.

So, let me revise my previous statement. Is there racism in Ishgard? No more than any other city-state and lore evidence seems to direct it almost exclusively at mix-race children. Again, something that is stigmatized throughout all of Eorzea. The minority races we see in Heavensward (Highlander, Roegadyn, Miqo'te, and Lalafell) are all well received, even the foreigners, so long as they show merits.

Ugh, excuse my tangent though. Race locks peeve me off.

I'm picking up what you're putting down but it feels very hair splitty to me. I get that race locks aren't something you're necessarily in favor for RP-wise but from what's available in the lore I've drawn the conclusion that those not of Hyuran or Elezen decent would be unheard of in the upper echelon of Ishgardian society. Xenophobia is pretty much synonymous with racism to me as well but that's arguing semantics.

This is one of those stupid world building details people squabble over that Square probably isn't going to go back and detail on, especially with Ishgard moving in the more progressive direction it's going.

Something I see becoming a thing is people being able to pledge to Ishgard as a city state perhaps at the end of the expansion when they release the Ishgardian housing wards. Hopefully, that would open a door to the Temple Knights and the Order of the Dragoon by extension. That's just my speculation, though.

Wow, this has all been great information to read. Even outside of a character perspective, learning more about the lore is always fun (I like to lurk the official forums with the naming info sometimes just to read all the neat information people dig up from time-to-time). I notice no one really touched on the Elezen-using-a-Lalafell model; any chance of feedback specific to that? The Au Ra info is about what I suspected, not really surprised there. It was pretty nice to see that there are precedents for other races in Ishgard, though I'm hesitant with the lack of any identified higher class of races other than Hyur and Elezen, especially because I don't think the Roe examples are quite what I'm looking for. I didn't get the impression that those guards were very well off the last time I went through MSQ.

I notice no one really touched on the Elezen-using-a-Lalafell model; any chance of feedback specific to that?

It's not unheard of for people to use Lalafell as models for very young children of other races, usually toddlers. Though, you may actually be mistaken as an adult Lalafellin character also. But from your post you were saying your Elezen would be 12-14 right? The problem I foresee is that we actually are exposed to a fair few Elezen teenagers in this age range... and they look nothing like Lalafell.

Nicoliaux.png

*Nicoliaux age 12-14.

ss_03_02.png?1440056627

*Haurchefant age 12.

5_ss_2.png

*Alphinaud & Alisaie ages 16.

If you're going for an Elezen character, it may be less suspension of disbelief to just roll with an Elezen model at minimum height and the "youthful" face option, which is Face #1 for both Wildwood and Duskwight females. Then add her IC age in your Search Comment. Or minimum height Hyur, if you choose to go Hyur. Think Face #1 and #5 are the most youthful looking.

Anyways, hope that helps!