No </3 Roegadyn female?

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Color me oblivious. Why were the male Roegadyn under-represented? The only reason that I can fathom is the size curse in PvP.

There was no PvP in 1.0 so that has little to do with it. But it's the same reason in most games the large ugly-ish race is always underrepresented. Also the fact that they were only able to be males also limits them. Galka in FFXI were the least populous race, as were Roegadyn in 1.0.

They attract certain people, but they're not as universally aesthetically pleasing like the majority of the other races. It actually pretty much boggles my mind that anyone could not see how obvious it is as to why they're less popular.

They're not humans, they aren't pretty elves, they aren't catgirl/boy tropes. Even lalafell have higher populations because of their abundance of cute stereotypes. So the gritty hulking race is clearly going to be the least played out of the bunch.

Color me oblivious. Why were the male Roegadyn under-represented? The only reason that I can fathom is the size curse in PvP.

There was no PvP in 1.0 so that has little to do with it. But it's the same reason in most games the large ugly-ish race is always underrepresented. Also the fact that they were only able to be males also limits them. Galka in FFXI were the least populous race, as were Roegadyn in 1.0.

They attract certain people, but they're not as universally aesthetically pleasing like the majority of the other races. It actually pretty much boggles my mind that anyone could not see how obvious it is as to why they're less popular.

They're not humans, they aren't pretty elves, they aren't catgirl/boy tropes. Even lalafell have higher populations because of their abundance of cute stereotypes. So the gritty hulking race is clearly going to be the least played out of the bunch.

Even some races that are large and have some aesthetically pleasing features tend to be under represented. Aman from TERA have the appeal of being dragonkin but were under represented they were by no means the least popular race though.

TERA also has a pretty big pvp crowd so Aman do tend to stand out when the field is full of people half your size. >.<

That makes sense. I suppose that I have a different view of what's aesthetically pleasing in a character. The Roegadyns are my favorite race in the game precisely due to their hulking, gritty appearance. While it's not overly surprising to hear that they were the least populous, especially with the lack of playable females, I would not expect them to be so few and far between as to call them underrepresented. But with a history of creating characters that would not be considered pretty by human standards I suppose that I've missed the boat on this one. Thank you for clarifying for me.

Even some races that are large and have some aesthetically pleasing features tend to be under represented. Aman from TERA have the appeal of being dragonkin but were under represented they were by no means the least popular race though.

TERA also has a pretty big pvp crowd so Aman do tend to stand out when the field is full of people half your size. >.<

Aman weren't the least popular because TERA was an example of a game that had another race that took it even further in the Baraka. The Roegadyn are FFXIV's version of TERA's Baraka. It's just how it is.

EDIT:

That makes sense. I suppose that I have a different view of what's aesthetically pleasing in a character. The Roegadyns are my favorite race in the game precisely due to their hulking, gritty appearance. While it's not overly surprising to hear that they were the least populous, especially with the lack of playable females, I would not expect them to be so few and far between as to call them underrepresented. But with a history of creating characters that would not be considered pretty by human standards I suppose that I've missed the boat on this one. Thank you for clarifying for me.

And that's fine. You're part of the demographic that finds Roegadyn to be awesome. There's nothing wrong with that, but unfortunately you're part of the minority. I'll direct you towards the "Post your character" thread and simply take a look at what's all posted. You'll find a lack of a few things, male Roegadyn, Male Highlanders, and maybe one other. While not an accurate representation, it still gives the a somewhat decent picture of how things balance out (Mostly, cat people, cat people everywhere.)

Ah, the male Highlander. My second favorite choice...

I'll concede to being in the minority. Now that I think on it, the "pretty" races are the most populous in every game I've ever played. I guess I assumed that enough guys would like the Hulk that not everyone would want to be Legolas.

Ah, the male Highlander. My second favorite choice...

I'll concede to being in the minority. Now that I think on it, the "pretty" races are the most populous in every game I've ever played. I guess I assumed that enough guys would like the Hulk that not everyone would want to be Legolas.

If only. What a perfect world we'd live in if that were the case. But sadly it will forever remain a minority. While the cat people run around in masses.

I think sometimes there are other reasons as well as the obvious not as pretty races.  The lore and location is what drew me to the Keepers of the Moon rather than any cat person thing going on.  I normally mock my friend playfully for his insistence of playing the pretty races in games.  I also have played the big rugged races in many other games that I play and being 6'4" people have often thought that I'm heightist (their word) so for me at least I decided to not just play the big race this time round.  Also I like to think that I've at least tried to make my cat-boy a little bit more rugged and worn than the average pretty boy.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to enjoy hitting people with the axe with my lady further up on the page... :D

I have seen other polls st other sites and yeah, generally the Roegaydn race are the least popular.

They don't seem "ugly" to me; just "different". In my experience, people go for the "beautiful" or even "cute". I don't really think this goes for just races that are "large": I think there is an element of appeal and of self-identification of a sort.

Let's look at the WoW-races and other MMOs:

You got the "Humans" and they, IMO, tend to be the most chosen race around on many levels: It is easy to be immersed by them, even if one is not RPing.

After that you got the "near-human" races, especially the elves. Dwarves, Gnomes, and Halflings do apply, but they, again IMO, tend to be "the short humans" or "the tall humans" and so on. It's not too much a step to identify with them. In general, I tended to see more Alliance-based players than Horde ones, especially initially when people were getting used to the game at launch.

In contrast, when the Blood Elf race got released, many people swarmed to them because well...they are "beautiful".

I am kinda thinking, since so much of time is invested in playing an MMO or even a single-player game, most just choose an archetype that is "them", even if they do not RP as one. I'd probably contend "size" doesn't have as much impact as aesthetics because, I don't think too many people are playing goblins in WoW although, that is more a hunch of mine. Goblins are small, but ugly-ish.

In any event, while I do plan on an alt or two, I am glad I chose Roegaydn as my main. Makes me feel more unique-special. ;)

I blame the fixation with cat people on Japan. They do silly things. I could talk all day about societal constructs of attractiveness and their relativity to the desired practical traits of the era but really it just boils down to "Japan is silly" no matter what I do. Doesn't stop me from loving them pretty catboys though.

It's the tail and the ears. They look fun to play with.

Personally, I like all of the races from an aesthetic standpoint. I've never really let lore dictate which group I like more, so for me it's mostly about the look and feel of the character...and whether I think I can pull it off. As much as I like their visuals, I'm just not good at playing big burly men. Amazonian ladies, on the other hand...

ffxiv_20130630_004811_zps671fd2c1.png

That I can do.

In any event, while I do plan on an alt or two, I am glad I chose Roegaydn as my main. Makes me feel more unique-special. ;)

I am also using a Roegadyn as my main. I will also roll a Lalafell as a backup, though I will end up sticking with only one character. That is the way things always work out for me. I create multiple characters and use one to the exclusion of all others. Which one I use when I make my final cut will largely depend on the community's perception of my characters, sticking with the one that has the greatest impact in RP.

I think the Roegadyn (I keep wanting to type Rogue-adin u_U as in rogue-paladin) females are absolutely stunning! But I am a sucker for a physically imposing woman... and I think it's pretty crap they aren't closer to the top of "most popular to play." But I can understand why, I guess. :(

Still, I love my alt. She's tall, strong, and generally all around badass.

Meet Kirzwyda Fedargeimwin:

ZwqPzhc.jpg

I LOVE the roegedayn female models and was almost ready to change my concept for ARR to one. I started plotting out personality arcs that worked for it and figuring out quirks and basically designing a person around the lore I skimmed and the build and expressions. 

Then I listened to the voices again and those didn't quite ever sound right to me. I looked at what I was designing and it was really neat. It was a strong female character, rough around the edges and with a rough personality and a strong sense of humor... and realized I could only pull it off in real time in just the right mood with just the right setup... 

... and I went back to my lala because historically that type of character gets dumped the first time I hit a major RL stress point because I lose the energy to keep up that particular mask. ;)

For those who can do it though... they're beautiful and my lala will come stare up at you and ask you to move heavy items for him.

Question for you guys in game. Is there an option to make your headgear invisible? Also keep the pics coming! They inspire me :3

Yep, there is. You have to check it off in your "Options" menu. Currently, it's supposed to update in your Lodestone, but it can take awhile: For some, it does not update.

Question for you guys in game. Is there an option to make your headgear invisible? Also keep the pics coming! They inspire me :3

Yep, there is. You have to check it off in your "Options" menu. Currently, it's supposed to update in your Lodestone, but it can take awhile: For some, it does not update.

Awesome!

Er... what's a lodestone?

Awesome!

Er... what's a lodestone?

It's basically a Blog/Public Gear page for your character/s. You sign in using your log-in details. This is a new Lodestone for v2.0 so there are still a few bugs, but it works pretty well.

Here's the link: http://na.beta.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/4a1c7058f3ddd58a2881f2158037691569b92288http://

:bomb:

I don't usually post on forums (much more of the shady lurker type) but looking at this thread I just want to be a part of it!

I love Roegadyn females! I have two looks that I just cant decide between;

This one, (Wild Meadow)

640x360http://i.imgur.com/ngUcXsT.jpg[/img]

and this one! (Tranquil Dawn)

640x360http://i.imgur.com/vnjdaAM.jpg[/img]

what do you guys think?

Can't wait to get stuck into this game properly next phase, what realm is everyone else on for RP? I've heard a lot about the Balmung (Legacy) server, but I have strong concerns about the time-zone differences and the potential for a really screwy economy in the early-mid game

but I have strong concerns about the time-zone differences and the potential for a really screwy economy in the early-mid game

The economy will be no more screwy than one on a newer server either, and in fact will likely be more stable due the amount of seasoned crafters already present.

Of course, any new player will have little to worry about over the in game economy as it is. Cause low level characters have so much riding on what's available on the markets right? /sarcasm.

Also, those gold highlights contrast awfully with the base hair color chosen.

This will probably be one of my mains....her name temporarily is Rodaja Sarune on Gilgamesh currently but will be changing. To be honest, I'm loving them more then any other race that I've played mostly because I think they remind me of Norn from gw2. I seem to like playing taller or the lesser seen female types yet I don't get why the Hellsguard arn't that popular. I really love the description on their race as well as the seawolves. Her hair is a darker/med red with purple highlands and her eyes are a shade of blue with purple lipstick and eyeshadow =) Hmm..pink girly roegadyn instead of the miquote? We'll see. 

1373685976_ffxiv_20130712_202433.png