No </3 Roegadyn female?

So I tried to look up traditional names and it seems the seawolves have very pretty names! But I take it the Hellsguard have very different naming traditions? For instance "Still water" etc. I'm looking for help naming my new Rogedlyn that I was able to get on gilgamesh. Here is a picture. 

ffxiv_08172013_081656.png

I really love her look..and want to name her something traditional if you can give me more examples! Or maybe I'll end up just making a seawolf. *ponders* Anyways what do you guys think? I need a good one before release ^_^

Female Roe are beautiful.  You're running into several issues.

First, Roe are not Barbies.  Plain and simple.  Many people look for small, thin, petite women as their mark of beauty (RL as well).  The Roe are anything but.  This, I think, is the biggest deterrent for many.  On the flipside, a lot of people (in a RP setting) will find Roe intimidating, and by extension unattractive.  Finally, also from a roleplay standpoint, you can't just "peg" them into a stereotype.  Let's be honest, the other races fall into stereotypes from a million other sources.  You got your elves and humans, your nekos and your adorable lil child-like people.  But the Roe don't fit nicely into anything.  For me, that is a strong positive, but many RPers will see it differently.

As you can likely tell by now, I don't fall into that camp.  I find Roe amazing, and their females beautiful.  (Xerek is Hyur simply because I have had this character waiting on the back-burner for years and I love him).  I see *many* great RPing opportunities, especially given Xerek's shy nature, and love seeing what the community here ultimately brings to the table.

Loving the screenshots all.  You're doing a great job showing off how attractive the Roe can be. :moogle:

Also this is why we're friends, I heart you <3

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, as of Phase 4, my Balmung character is a Roe Female. Though it's true I've not seen any others besides myself.

The name I chose did actually get people to send me messages, usually entaling 'omg a true Roe name, what's it mean.' xD

Wydablyss Loefaenwyn

Willow Blossom, Daughter of Leaf Duck - According to the generator and what resources I could find online.

oho!  I'm on Balmung too (for the foreseeable future).

Nice meetin' ye.  Fystrael Abylstyrwyn (Doe's Fist, Daughter of Rage Star) at ye service.

300x300http://s16.postimg.org/g3galldol/ffxiv_3.jpg[/img]

Oooh, so many pretty (and tough-as-duct-tapes) Roes' here! I-I'm blushing... :blush:

wonder if my old roe bachelor can finally find a partner in life for good now :D

Ya, The females of Roegadyn race are not your usual 3D damsels; they gave off aura of mature-ness, strength, and independence, not going all out cute, lean, and innocent; Ah, the vanity-- I agree this reason is probably a huge turnoff for a lot of players eh? :P

And maybe the same reason why we don't see a lot of female undeads, orcs, and taurens in WoW, while there's a surge of the smexy blood elven dames running around.

Anyway, glad to know there are still plenty of loves for the Roegadames! Love you all! :love:

Help.... before I pull all my hair out and have to glue one of my cats to my head...

I'm going to be playing a lady-Roe Hellsguard as soon as the game opens up, but in the meantime, I've been looking for lore about the race. I find it very lacking, to say the least. In particular, I'm interested in their lifespan and about what age would be considered typical for a young Roegadyn to set out on their own, what their social structure may be like, and also what a typical family structure might consist of.

If any of you have done similar searches, no doubt you've come up with exactly the same cut and paste stuff I did. So far, I have:

*Hellsguard are a small clan originating from the mountains of Ul'Dah, north of Abalathia's Spine.

*They believe the volcanoes of the area are gateways to the hells, and for generations have guarded the gates against the escape of spirits.

*Hellsguard tend to be magic-users, rather than the Sea Wolves.

*They have faith in the Twelve.

*They see alchemical practices as an affront to the Twelve; some even consider it sacrilegious.

*Hellsguard typically send out any third-born children to cities, as resources in the volcanic regions are limited.

*They are competitive, but may also be known for their loyalty and compassion.

In the attempt to pin point a possible lifespan, I've looked at the other races, and though no exact numbers are available, this is what I've compiled:

Hyur: 80-100 human-years, since they are most human-like

Miqo'te: 60-70 h. years: there was mention of them living 5-10 years less than Hyur

Elezen: 110-130? h. years: they are only said to live 'longer than hyur', no specifics

Lalafell: 120-140 h. years: mentioned in game of one @ 130 years; seemed to be

fairly old

Roegadyn: ...I have no idea. I'm open for suggestions, though favoring a lifespan similar to the Hyur; possibly between Hyur and Elezen?

Please, by all means, make suggestions or recommendations. Perhaps you know of a site where those wiser than myself have already addressed these issues? I welcome any help at this point. /exhausted

I adore the Roegadyn females! My main is one of them. Maximum height, maximum bust, and muscles at zero! If only I could make her a little chubbier.

2u6j.jpg

Once named Thoughtful Peony, her village bestowed a new name upon her soon after she give birth to her first child, and years of being great with children. She is a pacifist, and never before had she displayed her strength until it came to protecting her children. "Mother Bear" was the name she was given, as everyone would agree that being a parent brought out the life in her. It was her calling, and the name reflected that well. Though she had been tragically widowed from her husband and her two children several years ago, she still carries the name.

She placed her hand over her chest as she knelt down to greet the Lalafell at eye-level. "I am Mother Bear, but you may call me 'Mama'." She smiled sweetly; her free hand brushing aside loose strands of hair and rubbing off a little dirt on his cheek.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow in slight confusion when reading some of the responses to this thread. There's a handful of posters who seem to be implying that their character is not conforming to the conventional beauty standards that are often forced upon us by most forms of mainstream media and entertainment.

Yet many of those same individuals seem to have took steps to ensure that their character is stunningly beautiful. I'm reminded of how blood elves were bashed back in WoW for looking 'too pretty' and yet the majority of orc and troll females used the one face that could be considered quite attractive by comparison to the others available.

Granted, 'beauty' itself is a pretty complex thing and tastes can differ vastly between a handful of different people. I find it quite interesting, even if I have no intention of playing a roegadyn of either gender - I'm quite content to stick with my hyur highlander since he'll be more in proportion and better fits the character archetype I typically invest in.

I can't help but raise an eyebrow in slight confusion when reading some of the responses to this thread. There's a handful of posters who seem to be implying that their character is not conforming to the conventional beauty standards that are often forced upon us by most forms of mainstream media and entertainment.

Yet many of those same individuals seem to have took steps to ensure that their character is stunningly beautiful. I'm reminded of how blood elves were bashed back in WoW for looking 'too pretty' and yet the majority of orc and troll females used the one face that could be considered quite attractive by comparison to the others.

Heh, I've been thinking the same thing. Personally I'm not playing Roe because their noses bother me, but I certainly still think they qualify as "attractive", for the most part (not the guys though - not to big on the steroid-pumping man-meat thing).

I can't help but raise an eyebrow in slight confusion when reading some of the responses to this thread. There's a handful of posters who seem to be implying that their character is not conforming to the conventional beauty standards that are often forced upon us by most forms of mainstream media and entertainment. Yet many of those same individuals seem to have took steps to ensure that their character is stunningly beautiful.

Well, there's conventionally beautiful and there's beautiful despite convention. I don't know who in particular you were referring to but mine is certainly not conventionally beautiful, nor do I try to claim she is stunningly beautiful. I find her attractive myself but I'm quite aware many people will not and that is perfectly fine by me. There is far more to her than her appearance after all.

Well, there's conventionally beautiful and there's beautiful despite convention.

Roe may be more muscled, but they still have that idealized hourglass figure - and with the number of Roe I've seen around in-game and on forums who have maxed out the chest slider, I think "conventional" beauty is definitely still an appeal for this race. Their faces are more chiseled, but they're otherwise massive humans.

Roe may be more muscled, but they still have that idealized hourglass figure - and with the number of Roe I've seen around in-game and on forums who have maxed out the chest slider, I think "conventional" beauty is definitely still an appeal for this race. Their faces are more chiseled, but they're otherwise massive humans.

Hah, it's funny you say that because I purposefully set the bust on mine to 20.

For the sake of clarity I'd just like to point out that my earlier post wasn't meant to target anyone in particular, it was more of a general statement since it's a debate and scenario I've seen emerge in pretty much every MMO that I've played.

Well, there's conventionally beautiful and there's beautiful despite convention.

Hah! I maxed out the bust slider because I wanted to make her look my heavy-set. She actually does in the mage armor (yay).

I have always prefer characters that are either human or orcs(If they have it) in almost every mmo. That is just me, I feel more comfortable RPing with those races but I will for sure be making a male Roegadyn alt for roleplay.

I tend to stick to playing either a human or an elf in most MMO's, though there's a few exceptions here and there. The elves in this game aren't terrible, but I prefer my elves to be a lot grittier and distinct in both their culture and appearance (to a lesser extent) without simply feeling as though they're just humans with long ears. Try as I might, I just can't see myself playing a roegadyn. Even if it isn't intentional they simply come across as being larger than average humans which tends to be my issue with many of the 'big' and 'small' races across numerous MMO's. I found the norn of GW2 to be appealing in terms of their culture, but their representation in the game itself just came across as a tad too goofy and out of proportion for my tastes.

Yet many of those same individuals seem to have took steps to ensure that their character is stunningly beautiful. I'm reminded of how blood elves were bashed back in WoW for looking 'too pretty' and yet the majority of orc and troll females used the one face that could be considered quite attractive by comparison to the others available.

Granted, 'beauty' itself is a pretty complex thing and tastes can differ vastly between a handful of different people. I find it quite interesting, even if I have no intention of playing a roegadyn of either gender - I'm quite content to stick with my hyur highlander since he'll be more in proportion and better fits the character archetype I typically invest in.

I don't think anyone intends to make ugly characters. Unless they have that specific purpose in mind. I think the appeal of the female Roe is that of rp'ing a mature woman versus a young girl, which most of the other races seem to depict. I for one set out to make a fierce and intimidating look. One that speaks confidence and aggression both physically and sexually. Some people don't like this in their females and instead choose the more normal cute and chaste look/demeanor.

Bold and sexy is the look for me. Especially with a name like Size Queen :lol:

ud6e.png

aevy.png

I'm hoping I'm going to be able to get my hellsguard on Balmung as it was full and was only able to get her on gilgamesh server. I already have a "traditional name" picked out (I really love Burning Ash btw! Wish I came up with that one!) for mine already. I'm honestly thinking about maining my Rogedyln instead of my elezen as, they just look more -unique-. 

Who cares if we want to play a pretty race? To me, the Rogedlyn ARE the pretty race. I love the curves they have, because I have curves. And yes I wanted a more busty race (guilty!) Miquote have ridiculously the same size breasts and well let's face it, not all ladies have the same.

I love mine with blue/black hair. Especially the long hair styles are much more appealing then I think the Miquote's or Elezen which is seriously lacking to me. I wish they had more selection but at last they don't. While I think the naming for Hellsguard is a  bit odd, it's growing on me. There isn't much lore known about them or the races, which I wish I could read up on more but I suppose we have to learn as we go.

:/ I wish I knew more about them. For some reason I think Hellsguard will be more popular then the Seawolves. Not sure I could be wrong.