RPC goes Invision Power - Q&A

19 hours ago, Max said:

Also if possible is there a way to make it so that recent posts sidebar tab on the index page displays the name of the most recent person who posts instead of the OP?

The recent posts box has been updated to use last poster's info! ...it just involved recoding the box. It's slightly more compact too.

Hey there. I was wondering if the officially designated unofficial RP servers could be made a little more clearer? For example, Balmung (NA), Mateus (NA), Omega (EU), etc? To help new folks find the right server for them. It's a little difficult when you need to browse clubs or threads to see if anyone mentions "Oh yes this is the big server on NA" or "Yes we're EU on Balmung NA", if you get me.

Of course people should just open up their server list in game and match, but looking at the website without the game open, I wouldn't know what to pick and there's probably a lot of people who have already asked with others suggesting "yes go to balmung/mateus" without discussing timezone and ping preferences.

42 minutes ago, Flynn Rosenberg said:

Hey there. I was wondering if the officially designated unofficial RP servers could be made a little more clearer? For example, Balmung (NA), Mateus (NA), Omega (EU), etc? To help new folks find the right server for them. It's a little difficult when you need to browse clubs or threads to see if anyone mentions "Oh yes this is the big server on NA" or "Yes we're EU on Balmung NA", if you get me.

Of course people should just open up their server list in game and match, but looking at the website without the game open, I wouldn't know what to pick and there's probably a lot of people who have already asked with others suggesting "yes go to balmung/mateus" without discussing timezone and ping preferences.

Can I get some additional clarification on where you want to see this? The top-level header bar itself is already a bit jam-packed, but I can add that into the Calendar and LS/FC drop downs for each. RPC's goals though were never to designate servers but to leave that to players. However, for filtering purposes, it naturally was sections out and reorganized throughout the years.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

Can I get some additional clarification on where you want to see this? The top-level header bar itself is already a bit jam-packed, but I can add that into the Calendar and LS/FC drop downs for each. RPC's goals though were never to designate servers but to leave that to players. However, for filtering purposes, it naturally was sections out and reorganized throughout the years.

Yeah I was actually thinking in the drop down parts would be a good start :) I wouldn't know where else at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Flynn Rosenberg said:

Yeah I was actually thinking in the drop down parts would be a good start :) I wouldn't know where else at the moment.

Done. New menu has been pushed with some basic (NA) and (EU) markers. The Omega calendar's color has also been adjusted from server-picked yellow ot server-picked red, which should be a little easier on the eyes.

Might I request a "Back to index" button at the bottom of the page much like the old site had? Some of these threads are getting quite lengthy and having to scroll back up to click the RPC icon to get back to the home page is a bit of a pain (namely in those threads that are multiple pages). Yes, hitting the back button on the browser itself works, but doesn't actively refresh the page.

#firstworldproblems and all that.

Edited by Saravahn
1 hour ago, Saravahn said:

Might I request a "Back to index" button at the bottom of the page much like the old site had? Some of these threads are getting quite lengthy and having to scroll back up to click the RPC icon to get back to the home page is a bit of a pain (namely in those threads that are multiple pages). Yes, hitting the back button on the browser itself works, but doesn't actively refresh the page.

#firstworldproblems and all that.

There's a Home link at the very bottom of the page.

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

The editor no longer treats the enter key like a new paragraph. The default behavior has been adjusted to make the enter key a line break as normally expected!

(Let us rejoice).

Table header    
tables      
  are    
    now  
      implemented

Really loving the added features in the editor! No more manual coding of text Justify \o/ I just came here to ask if it would be possible (as it hadn't been enabled at first), and there it is - already implemented. xD And the tables too!

7 minutes ago, Xihsa'li Tayuun said:

Really loving the added features in the editor! No more manual coding of text Justify \o/ I just came here to ask if it would be possible (as it hadn't been enabled at first), and there it is - already implemented. xD And the tables too!

It was technically already doable when the site launched, but the button should make the bulk of the work a lot easier for most people! Especially those who aren't as versed in HTML. (The editor will accept a LOT of HTML. Not like, scripts and stuff, but your standard stuff. Chances are if the wiki would accept it, it'll prolly work here too!)

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

It was technically already doable when the site launched, but the button should make the bulk of the work a lot easier for most people! Especially those who aren't as versed in HTML. (The editor will accept a LOT of HTML. Not like, scripts and stuff, but your standard stuff. Chances are if the wiki would accept it, it'll prolly work here too!)

Yeah, was doing it for our club site already, since I noticed technically much of HTML was possible, even if there wasn't a button to do it. But it's good that there's more buttons now for easier access to those features. Noticed also while HTML coding, that sometimes the editor does funky things when you switch from source to preview, and then back. The editor cleans up the code the way it wants it, even sometimes messing it up and tossing random <p></p> s in there with spaces in them just to "fix it".

Not that that's nothing that can't be worked with. Just a little interesting when it happens to not like you putting some elements inside other elements.

I also noticed that it has the ability to make larger titles (<h1>,<h2>... up until <h4>), but those have to be manually coded in. The editor itself only puts in paragraph elements with different style options. Have you thought about implementing set title formatting options for the editor?
Of course it's more of a 'quick option', versus going through font size and bolding each and every time, not necessary but it'd make formatting titles and subtitles faster on the go.

Edited by Xihsa'li Tayuun
9 minutes ago, Xihsa'li Tayuun said:

Yeah, was doing it for our club site already, since I noticed technically much of HTML was possible, even if there wasn't a button to do it. But it's good that there's more buttons now for easier access to those features. Noticed also while HTML coding, that sometimes the editor does funky things when you switch from source to preview, and then back. The editor cleans up the code the way it wants it, even sometimes messing it up and tossing random <p></p> s in there with spaces in them just to "fix it".

Not that that's nothing that can't be worked with. Just a little interesting when it happens to not like you putting some elements inside other elements.

I also noticed that it has the ability to make larger titles (<h1>,<h2>... up until <h4>), but those have to be manually coded in. The editor itself only puts in paragraph elements with different style options. Have you thought about implementing set title formatting options for the editor?
Of course it's more of a 'quick option', versus going through font size and bolding each and every time, not necessary but it'd make formatting titles and subtitles faster on the go.

Header 1

Header 2

Header 3

Header 4

Directly using HTML is something we had to enable on the admin section of the site, which may explain some of this. Users aren't generally supposed to have access into the source view, which'll show all the internal IPS templates as well. The editor itself is a slightly modified CKEditor plugin, which will do some linting. (Code cleanup). The parser for it isn't totally perfect though, especially once quotes and spoilers get involved, which is where it usually freaks out a bit. 

Header tags are a little interesting though, since those depend on the underlying CSS to usually get defined. I can add a toolbar in, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll match up perfectly. For the most part, these extra buttons will only show on the desktop version of the site to keep bloat down. Mobile/tablet views will keep the basic defaults + spoiler.

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

Header 1

Header 2

Header 3

Header 4

Directly using HTML is something we had to enable on the admin section of the site, which may explain some of this. Users aren't generally supposed to have access into the source view, which'll show all the internal IPS templates as well. The editor itself is a slightly modified CKEditor plugin, which will do some linting. (Code cleanup). The parser for it isn't totally perfect though, especially once quotes and spoilers get involved, which is where it usually freaks out a bit. 

Header tags are a little interesting though, since those depend on the underlying CSS to usually get defined. I can add a toolbar in, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll match up perfectly. For the most part, these extra buttons will only show on the desktop version of the site to keep bloat down. Mobile/tablet views will keep the basic defaults + spoiler.

Ahh alright, yeah. Yeah the quotes, if they're even a slight bit wrong when switching from source to editor, mess up everything. But it's all cool anyway. I'm happy with what we have! :D 

If the toolbar doesn't match up well, then that's fine. It would only save a little time, really.

What exactly is the "imported" Balmung calendar from? Since Spellguard is biweekly I had to manually schedule each one and I had it up for the entire year of 2018 and now it's nowhere to be found on any of them. I see I can add events to the RPC Community Events Calendar, but how would I go about getting Spellguard onto the Balmung specific calendar? If it's imported from Erah'sae's calendar, Spellguard is still on there but doesn't show up on the RPC. I've not visited the site in a few days so I'm just all kinds of confused lol

41 minutes ago, Shoshopu said:

What exactly is the "imported" Balmung calendar from? Since Spellguard is biweekly I had to manually schedule each one and I had it up for the entire year of 2018 and now it's nowhere to be found on any of them. I see I can add events to the RPC Community Events Calendar, but how would I go about getting Spellguard onto the Balmung specific calendar? If it's imported from Erah'sae's calendar, Spellguard is still on there but doesn't show up on the RPC. I've not visited the site in a few days so I'm just all kinds of confused lol

The imported calendar sections are the Balmung Google Calendar and the Mateus Google Calendar (and a placeholder for Omega because I don't know if they have one or not). Events are fed in from iCal feeds. @Erah'sae manages the Balmung one and @Neneso Neso manages the Mateus one, as far as I know. I do see that Spellguard is showing on Erah'sae's upcoming events, but not on the calendar here, which it should be. The task to check/import from the iCals runs every 4 hours.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

The imported calendar sections are the Balmung Google Calendar and the Mateus Google Calendar (and a placeholder for Omega because I don't know if they have one or not). Events are fed in from iCal feeds. @Erah'sae manages the Balmung one and @Neneso Neso manages the Mateus one, as far as I know. I do see that Spellguard is showing on Erah'sae's upcoming events, but not on the calendar here, which it should be. The task to check/import from the iCals runs every 4 hours.

I'll keep an eye on it then and see if it shows up. It's a strange error, though. I wonder if it's affecting any other events, then maybe we could narrow down what's going on there.

Edited by Shoshopu
9 minutes ago, Shoshopu said:

I'll keep an eye on it then and see if it shows up. It's a strange error, though. I wonder if it's affecting any other events, then maybe we could narrow down what's going on there.

Comparing with the one on google, there look to be a few older events not showing up. I have to wonder if it's due to part of the import, as IPS doesn't read/handle all fields correctly.

Is it possible to completely and totally nuke, greatly lessen, or deactivate on my side these super annoying labels under every thread? They are big, black, bold and literally ruin reading and clarity (with a Ruin IV proc), and take priority over their very own thread titles.

Edit: another question now that I'm at it, is it possible to remove or deactivate at least on my end the prompt we get when we want to mark all the forum as read?

Edited by Valence
28 minutes ago, Valence said:

Is it possible to completely and totally nuke, greatly lessen, or deactivate on my side these super annoying labels under every thread? They are big, black, bold and literally ruin reading and clarity (with a Ruin IV proc), and take priority over their very own thread titles.

Edit: another question now that I'm at it, is it possible to remove or deactivate at least on my end the prompt we get when we want to mark all the forum as read?

I don't find them that big :o Are using the site on your phone / tablet out of curiosity?
(If it's your own thread, you can remove them by removing the tags assigned to the thread, btw, but I think that wasn't what you were asking for.)

No, I'm on desktop. This is the same deal as having something written in bold next to something written in standard text grease, except here to me it's even more magnified. They directly attract the eye and it's the first thing that act as a magnet when you open the page.

If the background wasn't filled in deep indigo/black as it is right now, but just with an outline, it would probably not be a problem to me.

Edited by Valence
5 hours ago, Valence said:

No, I'm on desktop. This is the same deal as having something written in bold next to something written in standard text grease, except here to me it's even more magnified. They directly attract the eye and it's the first thing that act as a magnet when you open the page.

If the background wasn't filled in deep indigo/black as it is right now, but just with an outline, it would probably not be a problem to me.

Ohhh, true. Makes sense ^^

9 hours ago, Valence said:

I've done this as an experiment, but I'm not completely pleased with the results. There's a lot of finicky CSS to build the tag displays. I've kept the default hover, but made the regular display a bit more transparent. Prefixes should draw attention and will not be modified unless a future theme does so.

Edit: And I still have to fix the delete tag displays, but they're OK-ish for now.

Ahh it's already much better... Would it be possible to make the colour lighter and/or the outline thinner? Right now it's darker than the titles still. 

Of course if the experiment actually displeases everyone already feel free to revert back to the previous state. I'm just a finicky ass when it comes to styles and web layout.

Edited by Valence