Jump to content
4.3 Spoilers Policy Read more... ×
Unnamed Mercenary

staff RPC goes Invision Power - Q&A

Recommended Posts

I can't login anymore! What happened?

There are a couple things that might've happened here. 

  1. You had multiple accounts on RPC that used the same email.
    Anyone who had multiple accounts on RPC with the same email will find that the new email-based accounts here have merged all their secondary accounts. Which every account was oldest was the one that was made primary. You may need to reset your password!
     
  2. You registered after our final save.
    We were able to snapshot data from February 11, around 11AM-12PM. If you registered after this date, your account was not carried over. Please re-register.

Is it just me or does the site crash or go offline a lot?

It's not you. It's me. I've been working on tweaking the server config for performance and features and have to restart servers now and then. Occasionally I break something to x_x

 

The old site is gone! What happened to my posts?

All content should have been migrated, however there may be some formatting issues that the converter couldn't catch. You can find RPC's old site at https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb/ and any old links you may have bookmarked should continue to work.

 

Where did my avatar image go?

During the conversion from our MyBB site, avatars were not carried over due to a limitation in the converter tools. RPC staff can help you retrieve an image if you'd like to reupload it for use again.

 

I was a patron on RPC but it doesn't show any more. What gives?

Let Unnamed Mercenary know in a PM, chat message, or some other mean. I'll cross-reference from the old site and get your name updated! Chances are, you had an older account that your patron name was merged into and that removed your group access.

 

Why are my Linkshells and Free Company listings are missing?

The new Linkshell Hall and Free Company Hall pages are built off InvisionPower's new "Clubs" feature. They allow users to make full sub-communities on the RPC! While we can't migrate a listing from the old halls directly, we can migrate your old list's thread into a club forum. 

 

What happened to my Gallery images?

They aren't gone! We promise. RPC previously used a gallery software called Coppermine, with some delicate code that bridged the gallery to upload using your credentials. We've converted and transferred all images over to the new gallery, but we'll need to manually re-assign your uploads to you. We understand that this is not ideal and ask for your patience and understanding in the matter. If you'd like to help us out, you can send us a list of which photos were yours with links from the new gallery and we'll  get the linked to you so they show up in your profile.

 

The editor is quirky.

Yes. Yes it is. If you're trying to make a line break, you can use HTML or shift-enter if you don't want paragraph block spacing.(The enter key is now a line break and not a paragraph.) For advanced users, you can technically edit fully in HTML. We use CKEditor now. If you want a certain plugin, we can try getting it integrated. 

 

I noticed a post that looks weird. There are BBCode or formatting issues.

RPC's previous forum made use of a lot of custom and nonstandard BBCode. Users are encouraged to update their posts to make them pretty again. The new editor will access BBCode, but you cannot convert formatted text back into BBCode. Users are able to post with some basic HTML tags now, however! If you need any assistance, please contact the staff! Internal links will need to be manually updated. If you spot something that seems out of place, please report it.

 

The theme is very...bright.

We're working on making the theme easier on the eyes. If you have experience with Invision Power board themes, please contact Unnamed Mercenary.  Users should be able to select an IPS4 Dark theme now as well. The css hasn't been check yet, but it should give a very simple black and blue appearance better for evening viewing.

 

The site feels kinda slow. Are you sure it's better?

The sluggish performance is partly to do with the migration procedures and shouldn't be permanent. (But may last until the server bill's paid again.) We used a lot of processing getting everything moved over and should build up speed as things are cached and stored away again.

 

I keep getting asked if I want to allow notifications. Why is the site nagging me?

It loves you. IPS keeps more active connections to the server to help update you on content faster. The new RPC site is excited to notify you about all sorts of things! Notification popups are handled by your browser. Most should give you an option to blacklist the RPC if you no longer want them. 

Be sure to check out all of the notification settings here, as the defaults may not be the best for you!
https://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/ips/index.php?/notifications/options/

 

I was doing something on the website that took a while and suddenly the page became filled with garbage text. Did something go horribly wrong?!

This is tricky. And to give a basic explanation, some of the webserver code might not have had a good time trying to process your request. We're working to tune the server config so that this doesn't happen. If you can provide details like what browser you were using, the page you were and, and what you were trying to to do, we can check to see if something happened at that time.

So far, this most often appears when uploading larger images to the gallery. You can sometimes resume by reloading the page. 

 

Edit 2018/04/18: We've upgraded to IPS 4.3 - Technical Details

  • Users can now make read-only club listings for the FC and LS halls. These are viewable to any, but require invite/membership to post.
  • The Gallery now supports anyone-can-use albums. The general categories will now allow uploads if you don't want to make a personal album. Users who already have albums can adjust the settings.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Additional fun. What else needs to be done?

  • Integrate logins with the wiki (the code is ready, but not deployed as it needs some more testing)
  • Move this site to ffxiv-roleplayers.com and the old site to ffxiv-roleplayers.com/mybb
  • Notify any users who haven't moved over here yet (A PM from the old RPC has been sent to each user)
  • Manually adjust posts that didn't convert well. (Please report these if you see them. I'll be working on Sounsyy's Lore Index first)
  • Work on the theme or find another one. (Suggestions for IPS 4.2 compatible themes are open) (There's an optional "dark" theme now)
  • see why locking a thread locks edits (perhaps that's normal?)
  • adjust the password lockout feature if possible.
  • add some gallery display options that are available to users!
    • [default] Random assortment of guarenteed SFW content (Art, Screenshots, Other)
    • Recently uploaded assortment of guarenteed SFW content (Art, Screenshots, Other)
    • Random assortment of all uploaded works (Art, PG-13+, Screenshots, Other)
    • Recently uploaded assortment of all uploaded works (Art, PG-13+, Screenshots, Other)

Share this post


Link to post

Cool nonstandard things we've used to enhance the forum (plugins):

  • Club plugin pack was grabbed. This should help make FC and LS listings look and feel more normal. They have an optional (not enabled by default) home page where basic info can go.
  • There's a secret "dark mode" theme. It's extremely basic and could break.
  • We buffed up the spoiler tag to make it work like the one on MyBB. It also won't disappear if you switch to code view and back.

Things we're mulling over that could be done:

  • Third-party logins could be enabled. (Facebook, google, discord, etc). We're still thinking this over.

Share this post


Link to post

Wasn't sure where to post for this, so if this is the wrong place feel free to remove my post.

Few things of note I've found:

  • Profile pictures posted in .png don't post transparent for profile icons, except when clicked on <- (It looks fine when you've got it cropped right, but should I change it slightly, it'll show black spots)
  • The Mateus and Discord tags look extremely similar while skimming. Is it possible to color code them?

Oh, and posts put here are saved in case you accidentally click off of them.

Edited by Neneso Neso

Share this post


Link to post

what happened to the void?

also, if you're looking to make edits to the theme/layout my feedback is to make things slimmer like the old board!! everything's too big/wide atm imo

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Max said:

what happened to the void?

 

I too would like to know.  I dug through settings thinking maybe the opt-in got reset, but didn't see an option for an opt-in so figured maybe there's no sort of functionality to make that happen?

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Neneso Neso said:

Wasn't sure where to post for this, so if this is the wrong place feel free to remove my post.

Few things of note I've found:

  • Profile pictures posted in .png don't post transparent for profile icons, except when clicked on <- (It looks fine when you've got it cropped right, but should I change it slightly, it'll show black spots)
  • The Mateus and Discord tags look extremely similar while skimming. Is it possible to color code them?

Oh, and posts put here are saved in case you accidentally click off of them.

I'm trying to figure out the new profile picture system too. I think this partly because the forum software then converts pictures to copy into a couple additional places. (The gallery's the worst offender. 4 extra copies of an image for thumbnail purposes).

Tags come in two basic color options. One is for a prefix (only one of these can be in use), and the other is for all other tags. Some of them were picked up when threads were converted, but it probably didn't do it perfectly. I don't think we have the option of differently colored tags after that, unfortunately. 

 

1 hour ago, Max said:

what happened to the void?

also, if you're looking to make edits to the theme/layout my feedback is to make things slimmer like the old board!! everything's too big/wide atm imo

 

1 hour ago, Zhavi said:

I too would like to know.  I dug through settings thinking maybe the opt-in got reset, but didn't see an option for an opt-in so figured maybe there's no sort of functionality to make that happen?

In MyBB, users had the options of enabling/disabling group membership, which could alter their secondary user group permissions. The Void, as it was later known, relied on these permissions as a form of opting in. In IPS, secondary groups are all handled by users with administrator access. (Even a moderator can't modify them). As such, The Void has been discontinued for the moment.

Share this post


Link to post

I've deleted about 20 messages from my inbox, and it still says it's full. AAAAAAH PANIC. Anyway, is this normal or is mine wonky?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Arrelaine said:

I've deleted about 20 messages from my inbox, and it still says it's full. AAAAAAH PANIC. Anyway, is this normal or is mine wonky?

That wasn't normal! I believe I've fixed this! (Details: the converter believe all members should have a limit of 0 maximum messages. That limit is gone now!)

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

That wasn't normal! I believe I've fixed this! (Details: the converter believe all members should have a limit of 0 maximum messages. That limit is gone now!)

Yes! Thank you so much. <3

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

I'm trying to figure out the new profile picture system too. I think this partly because the forum software then converts pictures to copy into a couple additional places. (The gallery's the worst offender. 4 extra copies of an image for thumbnail purposes).

Tags come in two basic color options. One is for a prefix (only one of these can be in use), and the other is for all other tags. Some of them were picked up when threads were converted, but it probably didn't do it perfectly. I don't think we have the option of differently colored tags after that, unfortunately. 

 

 

In MyBB, users had the options of enabling/disabling group membership, which could alter their secondary user group permissions. The Void, as it was later known, relied on these permissions as a form of opting in. In IPS, secondary groups are all handled by users with administrator access. (Even a moderator can't modify them). As such, The Void has been discontinued for the moment.

Ah, that's unfortunate. Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Neneso Neso said:

Ah, that's unfortunate. Thank you!

There's a plugin that would allow us to customize predefined prefixes with different colors, but it's not on the cheap side of things. I am still determining if it'd be worth grabbing. (I wish it was sucked into core features!)

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Max said:

also, if you're looking to make edits to the theme/layout my feedback is to make things slimmer like the old board!! everything's too big/wide atm imo

I definitely agree with this, if it's something that's even possible to adjust. It's hard to explain, but it's kind of a strain on the eyes while on the desktop site (IMO). Not a pressing issue or anything, though!

Edited by Kismet

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Kismet said:
21 hours ago, Max said:

what happened to the void?

also, if you're looking to make edits to the theme/layout my feedback is to make things slimmer like the old board!! everything's too big/wide atm imo

I definitely agree with this, if it's something that's even possible to adjust. It's hard to explain, but it's kind of a strain on the eyes while on the desktop site (IMO). Not a pressing issue or anything, though!

This is something I'm actively looking into while working on some server-side changes. The theme is very "hospital room" bright. As a stop-gap, I have enabled another theme labeled as IPS4 Black which any user can select on the bottom of site. It's based on the stock IPS theme, but should offer some relief! If anyone has experience with Invision Power Board 4 series themes, or knows of another forum using the same software with an easier on the eyes them, please let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

This is something I'm actively looking into while working on some server-side changes. The theme is very "hospital room" bright. As a stop-gap, I have enabled another theme labeled as IPS4 Black which any user can select on the bottom of site. It's based on the stock IPS theme, but should offer some relief! If anyone has experience with Invision Power Board 4 series themes, or knows of another forum using the same software with an easier on the eyes them, please let me know!

It should be noted I had to hide the chat bar to access that Theme dropdown option, and then the option to bring the chat bar back up wasn't available for me when I switched to the IPS4 Black option.

... In fact, the normal IPS4 option also does the same thing.

Edited by Gegenji

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Gegenji said:

It should be noted I had to hide the chat bar to access that Theme dropdown option, and then the option to bring the chat bar back up wasn't available for me when I switched to the IPS4 Black option.

I'll look into this! The theme probably isn't grabbed the chat code includes, so I'll make sure they've been added in.

Share this post


Link to post

No signatures or am I missing something obvious? My profile options seem pretty threadbare.

 

I also don't seem to be able to make my clubs display as followed. Cancel that, events are not clubs.

Edited by Warren Castille
cannot into reading

Share this post


Link to post

also bring back square avatars pls!!

ETA:

Also if possible is there a way to make it so that recent posts sidebar tab on the index page displays the name of the most recent person who posts instead of the OP?

Edited by Max

Share this post


Link to post

I wish I could hide my Clubs.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Warren Castille said:

No signatures or am I missing something obvious? My profile options seem pretty threadbare.

 

I also don't seem to be able to make my clubs display as followed. Cancel that, events are not clubs.

Signatures were disabled for some reason. I've turned them back on. You'll want to go into the editor to clear out any old BBCode in them.

Share this post


Link to post
51 minutes ago, LiadansWhisper said:

I wish I could hide my Clubs.

I've turned those off from the postbit. You can still find them by hovering your mouse cursor over someone's display name.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Max said:

also bring back square avatars pls!!

ETA:

Also if possible is there a way to make it so that recent posts sidebar tab on the index page displays the name of the most recent person who posts instead of the OP?

IPS loves their circle avatars. If I can find a way to make them squares again, the site will magically start doing that. This might be part of the theme, but I'm still learning how those work because MyBB was like Handholding [Extreme] and IPS expects real programmers.

The widgets are bothering me and now that we've moved to the root of the domain, I have access to make REST API calls. Which means custom widgets! I'll be working on coding up custom ones to thin out the annoucements box and to get Recent Posts working better. I can't give an ETA on this just yet because I need to read up on how all the forum system internals work, and then write the code and test it. 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Unnamed Mercenary said:

I've turned those off from the postbit. You can still find them by hovering your mouse cursor over someone's display name.

Is it possible to have them display unless hidden? There's literally an option in your Management thing for "Show people I follow this" or is that more of a meta-profile thing and not a display thing?

I want people to be able to see there's a subforum for the Grindstone /vanity

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Warren Castille said:

Is it possible to have them display unless hidden? There's literally an option in your Management thing for "Show people I follow this" or is that more of a meta-profile thing and not a display thing?

I want people to be able to see there's a subforum for the Grindstone /vanity

Followed content's something else. That's basically all the stuff that'll generate a notification for you. Like a followed thread, etc. It's a profile-y thing like if you want people to know if you're getting notifications on certain threads, etc. 

The little club display's all or nothing because it's handled in the admin section. I should note that people can join/leave the "clubs" as they want. I'm gonna wait for some more feedback on whether we want clubs displaying on every user's post or just in their profile. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×