Rping on Gilgamesh? Please give this a read

Alright so Gilgamesh won the title of unofficial non legacy server for the RPC. *Does a little dance and mini celebration*

Now the real work begins, its time for us who will be making Gilgamesh our home to set a strong roleplay foundation. I truly suggest all of those who are making their home there to start mentioning any projects you have, linkshells, Free Companies and the like. Its up to us to build up the server and provide a great place to go for roleplayers.

As mentioned previously I will be doing a rp event for launch, I would definitely be into taking any suggestions for this event as well as accepting any help that anyone may be willing to provide whether it be participation in helping to run the event or resources, etc. Any help at all is a great thing and the more involved in various ways the better.

I'd also like to bring up other things. For one I know many here are brand new to roleplaying. Well welcome to the site I know everyone here is glad to have you *claps*. If you are roleplaying for the first time and are planning to rp on Gilgamesh especially please feel free to ask any questions. Myself along with the community that is starting on the server will be more than happy to help with anything. I have no problem with doing any courses whether ICly or OOCly in the actual game or on the forums on rp practices, rp terms and the like. Whether its putting down a question or questions in this thread or sending me a pm either way my doors are always open so just ask away. Roleplaying can be a daunting experience for the first time. I know many wish to ask why but don't necessarily know how.

Just remember there are no stupid questions. New roleplayers are the most important part of any community. You guys are the glue that keeps the community together and are a telling indicator of how friendly a community is. As what is considered the now secondary/alternate rp server (I won't be calling it this) to Balmung, Gilgamesh needs you guys and we all will do everything we can to make sure that you all have a wonderful experience and make sure to provide an environment that new roleplayers and novice roleplayers can thrive in. One of the benefits of a -new- server is that everyone is new. Now is the time to start building relationships, and during the next phase will be an excellent time to practice your roleplaying.

Any questions, and I do mean any questions anyone who is considering playing on Gilgamesh has please, put them in this thread

Here are some terms and definitions for those new to roleplay.

RP- a shorter way to say Roleplay. In mmos roleplay is the act of immersing yourself into the game world by playing a person or acting out the part of a character who lives in the world.

IC- In character, basically means when you are in roleplay mode

OOC - Out of character- this means that the person is not roleplaying at the moment, an indicator of being able to tell when a roleplayer is in OOC mode is when they are having conversations where they are typing out their sentences with these symbols around their words (( )). For example: ((Oh hey Mike how you doing man, did you ever manage to get that sword?)). If you see a person typing with double parenthesis, I can guarantee you that's an rper.

Heavy/Hardcore- These terms denote a type of roleplay. Heavy/hardcore roleplayers are the ones who are basically always in character, whether they are participating in tavern roleplay or adventuring and leveling the majority of the time they are roleplaying if not all the time. I myself am a heavy roleplayer. Heavy roleplay usually also means that this type of roleplayer constantly roleplays and is not as likely to have "OOC" days. A surefire indicator of a heavy roleplayer is slow leveling due to mainly wanting to roleplay above anything else. Many heavy/hardcore roleplayers are extremely slow levelers because the point of them playing a mmo is for roleplaying before anything else.

Medium- This person switches between IC and OOC modes a little more often. Many medium roleplayers are usually in character most of the time, but they are privy to have OOC moments like for example many medium roleplayers don't engage in "leveling in character" all the time unless it was something that was planned and set up beforehand. They are more prone to separate in character and out of character moments and for example may not roleplay during a raid. They also may have OOC days for things like leveling and crafting. Many medium roleplayers may plan their rp before hand. A surefire indicator of a medium and light roleplayer is hearing things like ((Man I just finished that raid, I'm going to take a break and roleplay for a bit)).

*Many roleplayers slide back and forth between heavy and medium status

3. Light - These roleplayers the majority of the time tend to be OOC. They do roleplay but often times need reasons to do it. for example events or preplanned meetings. They are open to it and do it pretty casually. Lots of times you will find a good number of light roleplay guilds in mmos due to the leadership not minding of if roleplayers join which many times is a non roleplaying group. They may also have members who are curious about roleplay but its not the main reason of playing the game for them. For these guys roleplay may be a fun thing to do on the side in between leveling, crafting, etc.

Next I'm going to run down some different types of rp concepts that are commonly seen on roleplaying servers. I'm also going to mention some things that make Final Fantasy XIV: ARR a unique place for roleplaying due to new opportunities and areas of roleplay that we have not seen in some time or never have seen in a mmo. The game truly is a roleplayers goldmine and in my opinion provides just as many if not more opportunities for unique rp than the upcoming rp friendly Wildstar.

1. Non combat classes- Disciples of the Land and Disciples of the hand. In my opinion the crafting and gathering classes will be the biggest drivers of roleplay in game. For those who have seen the anime series Sword Art Online you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Adventures and quests set around gathering an important crafting piece are some of the most fantastic rp opportunities one can have, and who will be driving much of this? The crafters, not since Star Wars Galaxies have we seen a game where the crafter truly can be what they are, the merchant, the builder, etc.

Add on top of this the ability to turn your houses into shops by labeling them public and leaving retainers in them and you probably have the best environment ever for crafting I've personally known of in a game. I seriously suggest taking these opportunities to spark roleplaying if you decide to play or multiclass with a crafting/gathering class.  My character will be multiclassing with Alchemy, Fishing and Culinarian along with his combat classes/jobs and I can tell you this, I will be doing events based on his crafting and gathering abilities.  

2. Hub roleplay- Yes I know many do not like what is commonly called -tavern-rp. Well let me tell you this. Personally I love tavern roleplay. I believe its a great place to meet new people and increase opportunities for roleplay. I also believe its a great way to practice  and observe roleplayers in action if you are new to roleplay. Its also a great way to make a place more lively as well as provide a way to spark new adventures. Yes you heard me right. Tavern roleplay sparks new adventures.  My pen and paper roleplayers know exactly what I'm talking about.

Think about how many epic quests were started from finding someone in a tavern or finding a writing posted up in a tavern by someone looking for help. Add on top of this crafters and gatherers looking for adventurers to help with them finding a material or ingredient they need but can only be found in a extremely dangerous place like a dungeon and tavern rp can lead to all different types of great adventures. Its also a place to rest after a great adventure as well. A watering hole for adventurers to come to in between adventures. The more player run taverns the better in my opinion as they all come to have different feels and clientele. Ever seen the old television series Cheers? Those situations do absolutely happen in tavern roleplay. Never doubt the power of hub rp. I personally would love to see IC Bazaars where different merchants are there peddling their wares at a set location every week or two weeks or so.

3. If you want something, do it. Many times in rp I find that roleplayers are not aggressive enough with going after what they wish. If you want to see more adventure roleplay, initiate it. Don't wait for someone else to do it. If you need help getting its started ask for help. Communities need proactive members, one person, or only a few people cannot do everything. Don't be afraid, and don't be shy and remember that everyone had to start off somewhere. We all had to do something for the first time to get good at it. Remember this. If there is something that you want to see, please go ahead and get it started. Or at least ask if it exists. A community needs those who are constantly trying things, and if you mess up, don't worry about it. Pick yourself up, brush yourself off and try again. Trust me, not trying at all just makes the community smaller, and we should all be trying to make it bigger.

3. One of the non written rules of roleplaying is: Enjoy the world. this game truly has a lot of little things for rpers to enjoy. New details are being added to the world even now to make the game feel more alive. Things like constellations in the night sky, the weather, the fact that it rains in cities for example provide fantastic roleplay opportunities. How many times have we seen romantic comedies that consist of the couples meeting somewhere in the rain for the first time? This game now provides those opportunities due to the fact that weather for example is such a constant thing. Taverns getting full from people getting in from the rain for example? Roleplay gold and an opportunity for great rp not seen in many of todays greatest mmos.

Last phase my character met up with another for the first time and as they were talking outside they saw a geyser, which led into more roleplay. He met a fantastic couple (Rhynka and Razamir - love you guys) and they all went to Vesper bay together to sit in the small tavern there. (I honestly love the coziness of Vesper Bay and think it will be a great place for IC dating personally, its in the Ul'dah area). Use these little moments the game provides, they spark roleplaying conversation and help make the world feel more alive as a whole. They are there to enjoy, so enjoy them.

I will be putting up threads like this from now on so again if you have any questions please just ask. I encourage others who can provide advice (especially if you are planning on playing on Gilgamesh) to do the same.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Non combat classes- Disciples of the Land and Disciples of the hand. In my opinion the crafting and gathering classes will be the biggest drivers of roleplay in game. For those who have seen the anime series Sword Art Online you will know exactly what I'm talking about. Adventures and quests set around gathering an important crafting piece are some of the most fantastic rp opportunities one can have, and who will be driving much of this? The crafters, not since Star Wars Galaxies have we seen a game where the crafter truly can be what they are, the merchant, the builder, etc.

Add on top of this the ability to turn your houses into shops by labeling them public and leaving retainers in them and you probably have the best environment ever for crafting I've personally known of in a game. I seriously suggest taking these opportunities to spark roleplaying if you decide to play or multiclass with a crafting/gathering class.  My character will be multiclassing with Alchemy, Fishing and Culinarian along with his combat classes/jobs and I can tell you this, I will be doing events based on his crafting and gathering abilities. 

*waves little flags for this particular section and tries to hide the shameless self promitional purposes behind this*

A good read, and a great start for new people. A little sidenote from my side..

Try and get familiar with the lore, people! If you're a seasoned roleplayer or a newbie trying to find it's way around, knowing the lore makes it easier for everyone around you, so we don't have to deal with people not knowing what every character born into this world SHOULD know.

Know your basic history.

Know the gods and why you shouldn't be dancing on a church roof wearing a copper helmet while singing blasphemic songs.

Such things...

"tries to hide the shameless self promitional purposes behind this"

Self promote away love especially if you are setting up on Gilgamesh.

The purpose of this thread is to identify what will be happening on the newly crowned unofficial non legacy rp server of the RPC community.

The thread is about building up the foundations of the new Gilgamesh rp community. I would love for those who are planning to make Gilgamesh their home to help with building the foundations and know what certain players like myself will be doing to help with building the foundations there.

I implore any who will be making Gilgamesh their rp home to do the same.

I spent some time in Silver Anvil way back in 1.0 and I still love the concept, so I might roll on Gilgamesh and join in, even if Balmung will be my main server. ^^

Or hey I could reroll Azy over there... she's only got a dozen levels in half a dozen classes. It's not like she was maxed out or anything. o_O

Still on the fence about the whole thing...

I'll be heading a Free Company on Gilgamesh with about a dozen or so friends all with roleplaying backgrounds. Should be a good time, looking forward to Phase 4, headstart, and release.

Can you do.a summary of the FC here?

I was planning on doing just that, just wasn't sure where the appropriate place for it was on the forums.

Wasn't sure if the forums would be separated into separate subcategories for both Balmung and Gilgamesh.

on top of this the ability to turn your houses into shops by labeling them public and leaving retainers in them and you probably have the best environment ever for crafting I've personally known of in a game.

Do you have anymore information on this? I'm a new player who calls Gilgamesh home and I would definitely like to know more about this.

It's very kind of you to make this positive post in light of everything with the poll. I will be rolling a fresh toon on Gilgamesh, and Rhynka will remain on Balmung until the day comes when 1.0 characters can move servers. Then I'll decide which community Rhynka will fit in better, and where my role play style is more welcomed.

If nothing else I'll have a stand in temporary toon made for Rhynka (Since she is my main)on Gilgamesh for any interested in RPing with her, and also to help further on the choice of which will be Razamir and my home server. I'll be leaving the final choice to Razamir and his logical views since I get too emotional about those things! I hope to make many friends on both servers before that day comes!

Thanks for the positive thread Rock!

Pure awesomeness.   Keep up the good work Rock.  I know we will be rolling an alt on Gilgamesh, seeing as we have not decided where we will be going yet.  If you need any help, I would be willing to give what help I could.  And I agree new rpers are the life blood of the community. Which I give you all the more props for being willing to take in and help as many as you can.

I spent some time in Silver Anvil way back in 1.0 and I still love the concept, so I might roll on Gilgamesh and join in, even if Balmung will be my main server. ^^

Or hey I could reroll Azy over there... she's only got a dozen levels in half a dozen classes. It's not like she was maxed out or anything. o_O

Whoa, really? Dang thats a long time ago. But sweet, that would mean a potential member more! *laughs*

Gilgamesh needs more RP crafters and merchants. Someone has to fill the auction house and RP markets with quality gear, after all!

Whoa, really? Dang thats a long time ago. But sweet, that would mean a potential member more! *laughs*

Gilgamesh needs more RP crafters and merchants. Someone has to fill the auction house and RP markets with quality gear, after all!

Hate to burst that bubble but I'm the same person who's on your guild forum. ^^;

on top of this the ability to turn your houses into shops by labeling them public and leaving retainers in them and you probably have the best environment ever for crafting I've personally known of in a game.

Do you have anymore information on this? I'm a new player who calls Gilgamesh home and I would definitely like to know more about this.

If I am not mistaken its  mentioned by Yoshi P himself in the sixth or seventh letter from the producer video on youtube. I really suggest looking at those they are extremely detailed and all subbed in english now. They also show the interiors of all three house sizes.

i have idea for a event! once every month all the rp guilds meet up at a bar or some thing some where. Where we all talk, may go fight some bosses, and  relax and share storys. just a idea!

I like it. Perhaps open it to all rpers guilded or not?

No doubt a good idea. It could be an open thing to meet, greet and recruit roleplayers in a more face-to-face manner too. Could be a fun time.

I'll be rolling on this server. I may be shunned though. Just got done reading the hand book and it would seem Mr. Heats back ground is a no no.

Oh, the handbook is meant to be more of a guideline than any sort of rigid rule. You could make a post with your ideas/plans in the RP Discussion area to solicit feedback. With so many different RPers with so many different backgrounds, it is likely that there will be some folks or a group that will have similar ideals. Then again, it also looks like Gilgamesh will have a smaller pool of RPers overall, so I may be mistaken. But I would certainly take your ideas to the discussion board if you have any concerns about how they may be received.

I'll be rolling on this server. I may be shunned though. Just got done reading the hand book and it would seem Mr. Heats back ground is a no no.

Oh, the handbook is meant to be more of a guideline than any sort of rigid rule.  You could make a post with your ideas/plans in the RP Discussion area to solicit feedback.  With so many different RPers with so many different backgrounds, it is likely that there will be some folks or a group that will have similar ideals.  Then again, it also looks like Gilgamesh will have a smaller pool of RPers overall, so I may be mistaken.  But I would certainly take your ideas to the discussion board if you have any concerns about how they may be received.

Thank you for clearing that up. I'll need to sit down and write out how Mr heat will be in game so people will know what he's about in final fantasy and the only thing that's being brought over is just his background.

Hmmm.....you know I really like Vaschies idea.

What do you all think of the launch event being a meet and greet, but also a feast or festival? I was thinking of doing something like this. Perhaps a feast or festival basically celebrating those who survived the Calamity, being thankful that we have and celebrating lost ones that were lost because of the incident. I think it would also set down a sense of family for the server and perhaps even could be turned into a server holiday or something? Maybe even some sort of giveaway of low level items for newbies as contributing to the welfare of refugees who lost their homes during the Calamity as well. It gives a good reason to practice your crafting during Phase 4 and really helps the crafters be a part of driving the roleplay on the server.

Perhaps since we are the -secondary- server we can use this to our advantage and really give the server a small town "everybody knows everbody family kind of feel". Very intimate.

Let me know what you guys who are playing on Gilgamesh think about this.

If you want something, do it. Many times in rp I find that roleplayers are not aggressive enough with going after what they wish.

+1 for this statement.

A key factor for successful RP is writer motivation. Find a concept you are motivated in pursuing and pursue it!

The festival meet-and-greet idea is great! It also gives Linkshells and Free Companies a chance to ICly promote themselves during the large, public event!