Have: Roleplayers - Want: A Home

I just recently joined the site and I can say that when I made it official, I got no impression that the RPC wanted me to pick one server or the other. I think that fact fit right in to the basically open nature of the site. Rp'ers supporting Rp'ers.

It's apparent there are individuals who feel strongly over what server "makes sense" but I offer that the reasons for choosing one server or another doesn't have to be logical. What's your favorite color? What's your favorite food?

No need for logic and anyone's reason for server choice are their own prerogative to make. In my case, I'm a sandbox kind of guy, I prefer to wander and dally than adhere to a linear course of action. In my own mind, Gilgamesh offers less structure and is more appealing. It doesn't have to make sense to anyone but me. I don't mean that as a diss to anyone. It's my own illogical conclusion. 

Some people stayed in Boston and Philly while others hopped in a wagon headed for Oregon. There are no wrong choices. Hell I met some Rp'ers on Cactuar who I will reunite with as my alt.  Different strokes for different folks.

To the OP, take a sec to reflect on what you want. In the end, the fun in RP comes from within anyway so where you do it isn't all that important.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeldir... this just isn't going to happen. I'm sorry man, you seem like you have some great intentions, but you're not going to come in and show tolerance and what not and somehow manage to reform the trolls and make them like you. You kind of remind me of one of those overly optimistic types who go into a really bad neighborhood thinking they can change it, reform it, and make it safe for people. Then they find your body in a ditch somewhere a few weeks later. I totally agree that you'll need to ensure that the people going to Gilgamesh are incredibly tolerant and can persevere in the face of trolling, but you're fooling yourself if you think it'll ever stop just because you throw out a few "LOLz" when someone comes in and starts /dancing and casting Blizzard 2 over and over and over again for the next hour right on top of you.

When did I say I expected it (trollins) to stop?  This isn't some out-of-touch-with-reality after school special on how (not) to deal with bullying. 

I said I expected to find good recruits for Gilgamesh RP out of its messy community, by being robust, fun, and impossible to "get at".  This is going to happen parallel to dealing with knuckleheads who's only interest in us, is trying to get a rise out of us.

And when I say that, I mean, there's going to be people who can and will cast Blizzard 2 forever.  I'm not the type of guy to be bothered by that kind of thing.  The proximity and actions of their character no more break my immersion than the proximity of my gurgling apartment toilet.  (My computer desk is right next to my bathroom.)  Whatever Gilgamesh want to do for fun is all right with me, and that includes impromptu snowstorms.  It's just a game.

Balmung's flaws from a roleplaying point of view is the 'Veteran Syndrome', as I'm going to coin it. There's the realistic, but not guaranteed, chance of 'heroes of light' using this status as a way to lord over those who were not present for a giant dragon kicking people around. Not only is this an annoying thing to consider, it's toxic.

-An easy dismissal to any such boasting would be that no one even remembers who the Warriors of Light actually were and, "I've heard better bard's tales!" Therefore this is a non-issue in my book

In the end, Balmung offers stability, but less opportunity?

-It doesn't sound like opportunity is the right word here unless you mean "name recognition opportunity" within the server RP community. Opportunity to me means RP opportunities. RP opportunities I think are a direct relation to RP/Non-RP player ratio which Balmung comes out on top. But if you want to carve out your own name in a smaller RP community then, yes, Gilgamesh makes that an easier prospect due to less competition. 

-So in the end it came down to where is most of the RP going to be happening? Balmung is what I came up with and I now feel comfortable in my choice.

I am a new player and had to weigh the situation too. These are my thoughts in response.

Balmung's flaws from a roleplaying point of view is the 'Veteran Syndrome', as I'm going to coin it. There's the realistic, but not guaranteed, chance of 'heroes of light' using this status as a way to lord over those who were not present for a giant dragon kicking people around. Not only is this an annoying thing to consider, it's toxic.

-An easy dismissal to any such boasting would be that no one even remembers who the Warriors of Light actually were and, "I've heard better bard's tales!" Therefore this is a non-issue in my book

Just as an aside... people can and probably will attempt to lord over people by claiming more status anywhere, regardless of server. On Guild Wars 2 there were so many Arch-Dukes and Arch-Duchesses from PCs that there could not have possibly been a concern about inheritance with Queen Jennah as succession seemed pretty stated; people looked down on "barons and baronesses" for being common and so everyone had title creep where half of the nobility were landed counts or higher.

While it's easy to think that legacy or not will mitigate this... I would say that it's realistically not going to affect anything. If people feel they can get more power/attention by claiming more power they'll do it. If anything the legacy side has established that's not how they roll and there's a greater chance of more power creep in new places (where there isn't an old guard so everyone's trying to grab for territory).

Personally, whether that's a negative or not depends on playstyle and how aggressive one feels about establishing things. If everyone on Gilgamesh decides that the Lalafell are the master race then that's going to be a part of their canon that works for them. If they have the theme that you go in service for 3 years from your magic master before you're released as a theme in their RP -- they can build that too. You might say what happens with one RP doesn't effect the other... but cool RP things in setting like that become memes which become group canon (I've had a character use a derogatory word for another race in a game and months later seen groups of people use that word too. Whether we did it independently of each other, who can say, but over time that became the generic insult humans used and that was cool to watch).

Likewise you have the potential situation of power-canon. Again, using Guild Wars 2 as an example:

No one flat out said that barons weren't really nobility but were treated like commoners. But so many of the noble players were going to inherit the title of count or countess and were of very high rank that lower nobility was of clear lesser position. No one flat out said that as a rule but at the gatherings of nobles as more and more players came in and were of the upper ranks... that became what average was.

And, honestly, that's kinda cool that we form group canon like that. Gilgamesh people, because there's a lot of people going to be trying to make their mark on thing have that opportunity but there's also going to be the need to establish a status quo. And that typically makes players very "loud" in their RP which is why I ended up eventually deciding Balmung. I tend to be shy and after a horrible experience with an ex-boyfriend who berated me for wasting time with getting attention in games because I was stupid and never had any good ideas... it's hard for me to want to take the "camera" without feeling self-conscious. Thus, I kinda thrive in more structured environments. People who are bolder, have big ideas or their own personal canon they want to work with, want to be a part of that creative push to make something will get more out of Gilgamesh than I would from trying to be one of the big many voices to make my way.

I ended up eventually deciding Balmung.  I tend to be shy and after a horrible experience with an ex-boyfriend who berated me for wasting time with getting attention in games because I was stupid and never had any good ideas...

Just going to toss this out there, you should never ever EVER let someone else dictate how you play. The only stupid idea is the one you don't share.

People who are bolder, have big ideas or their own personal canon they want to work with, want to be a part of that creative push to make something will get more out of Gilgamesh than I would from trying to be one of the big many voices to make my way.

Oh, don't let the tough talk and bold plans you hear tossed around regarding Gilgamesh put you off.  Ideally we want to make ourselves the most accessible environment to RP in, and that includes to you.  That aspiration in itself is what ticks some people off, I've come to realize.

Maybe a little competition between servers can be a good thing, if how it manifests is in the efforts of our little two-headed, one-bodied community, towards making more events to bring people in and together, and finding ways to make people more comfortable coming into (and exiting gracefully) eachother's stories.

But I think you've made the right choice regarding your server.  Balmung is going to be a lot more stable and less chaotic, particularly early on.

I honestly think this dead horse topic just needs to die.

Some people just DON'T want to play on Legacy realms, we have our own reasons regardless of how stupid they sound to you. No amount of convincing or logic is going to change that.

Fact of the matter is? Everyone needs to accept both servers as RP entities or this argument will never die. Ever.

I wasn't aware asking for opinions for which server I should join, based on my offered criteria or knowledge, was a 'dead horse topic'.

At the end of the day, my opinion is this; It's extremely tragic 'Legacy' is why the RP community split, after people worked so hard to unite it.

But, in the end, I don't care about that and just want to have fun!

In truth, though? Maybe I do already have all the info I need now. But it never hurts to hear how other people came to their decisions, which is why I made this thread.

And maybe a tiny bit of me wanted to see both the Balmung folk and the Gilgamesh folk -not- get into a fight.

Hi everyone i'm new here! By new I mean to the forum, game and Role Playing in general. I've read this whole thread and every concern I've had has been alleviated.

Firstly i'd like to thank everyone who posted for keeping it civil and informative. I felt very intimidated in regards to approaching a Role Playing community (I'm still a little tentative if i'm honest) and choosing the right server for me.

I made my decision based on the one thing that matters to me the most. The percentage of Role Players Vs. non Role Players within the community. From what I've read, Balmung will have more Role Players pound for pound than Gilgamesh will as it was the official RP server for FF14 1.0.

I'm in no way taking a swipe at the Gilgamesh community, i couldn't even begin to as i'm completely new to all of this. I truly wish them the best of luck but i feel my home is with Balmung.

I hope you can put up with me long enough to really getting into the spirit of Role Playing as i'm certain to make some errors along the way. I just hope I can break the "Must level to 50 immediately and finish all raids and kill all bosses and get all the loot and get an item score of OVER9000!" mentality that has built up over the years. A swift slap to the back of the head from any of you should do the trick lol

I'll see you all server side (or here) as long as i'm not hiding in a cave in order to avoid making any rookie mistakes.

Once again, i'm truly looking forward to this and thank you for making this decision easier for me. :)

I made my decision based on the one thing that matters to me the most. The percentage of Role Players Vs. non Role Players within the community. From what I've read, Balmung will have more Role Players pound for pound than Gilgamesh will as it was the official RP server for FF14 1.0

Well, the official unofficial RP server of 1.0 maybe :P

Glad to have you aboard with us! If you need advice or gear, hit me or Nel up, we have a little RP shop going and plenty of crafting jobs between us to make sure you and your friends are properly geared (Until you get dungeon drops that completely outstrip anything we could craft... *Sigh*)

Drama aside, rpers are pretty good at taking care of our own. If you need anything, we will be happy to help.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and game as well! I had some worries about the Legacy Balmung but after reading this read and what people had to say my worries have been lifted.

As Raelas said, thank you for keeping it civil and informative.

I made my decision similar to Raelas, plus the community seems more more strong as well.

I'm not siding with any side but that is my priority when playing a MMO.

I look forward to taking my first few steps into the game and community, meeting you all and having some fun! Hope to be welcome with warmth and shown around the ropes! All the luck to Gilgamesh!! Do us RPers proud!

I'm glad other people have found use from this thread! Yay!

But did you? I notice your Server tag is still missing! :P I hope that it did help, honestly.

Oh, well. We've all decided on Balmung, with an eye on Gilgamesh as things unfold. I suppose I'll add that~

But did you? I notice your Server tag is still missing! :P I hope that it did help, honestly.

Oh, well. We've all decided on Balmung, with an eye on Gilgamesh as things unfold. I suppose I'll add that~

Hopefully Balmung doesn't get squish filled. :P

'Squish Filled'? Never heard this term before!

Well, the official unofficial RP server of 1.0 maybe :P

Glad to have you aboard with us! If you need advice or gear, hit me or Nel up, we have a little RP shop going and plenty of crafting jobs between us to make sure you and your friends are properly geared (Until you get dungeon drops that completely outstrip anything we could craft... *Sigh*)

Drama aside, rpers are pretty good at taking care of our own. If you need anything, we will be happy to help.

That's good to know! Thanks for the welcome and the offer for gear, everyone loves shiny gear! I haven't joined any LS/FC's yet but any and all offers are welcome. I'm just not sure what i'm looking for lol

'Squish Filled'? Never heard this term before!

I made it up haha. ^^; Population might just be packed to the point players get squished with people and RP which is a good thing!

Sorry if I'm adding this to the wrong thread but could someone point me in the direction of a thread or something that helps you look for free companies? (I thought this thread was that at first by the title, haha.)

I can understand how many new or returning RPers can be torn on where to go.

Originally I was like "Oh let's go to this new server (Gilgamesh) where we can start new and make our place in the game!"

And now reading this topic I am having second thoughts.  And it is difficult.

Mine are these 2 .... 

1.  Balmung has the dedicated, rooted in RP community.  Once can tell that by many posts here and other places.  This is great for new people to find a spot but it can also be VERY intimidating.

I've been on the outside of cliques.  I've been forgotten in a few minutes of RP when a person's friend came on.  I've been lost in tavern RP where the chat window goes mock 5 scrolling upwards.

2.  Gilgamesh would let me start in a place where I can slowly get my groove on, find my place, and make a name for myself.

But it is hard with all the rumors and talk about such a possible low RP population.  And, sadly, I've been there as well when I wanted to Rp but there is none to find .. ever.  On an RP server.

So I'm not sure what to do.  Servers still all locked for me and the spouse, so thinking to just kinda forget it and sit on this all until head start or live comes and goes.

We both already have our RP concepts put together pretty well.  I even have a few more concepts in my head but I want to make sure I have the right place to put them all (splitting between servers would be bad for me).

How did you all make up your minds?

The distinct lack of Blizzard/Fire spam, sold me.

Also? Because making something established, better, has it's own appeal equal to making something, established.

*chuckles*

Yes, I do know what you mean.

In EverQuest, I returned after many many years as the game was free.  They had a new server there, Vox, which was only a year old.  What a great place to go to, enjoy the game and make a guild?

I did good for about 3 months then it all went south.  Since my new guild was very different from others on the server, along with real life kicking in .... which is a very big factor for me.  I've been married 13 years, I'm 35 and wife is 40 .... so RL will always take priority, my guild of 35 main accounts went down to 5 after a long month of family deaths, vacations, and illnesses.

To say I was sad is an understatement.  I was crushed.  And trust me I put a ton of work into it, I made my own website, worked my butt off ... and it didn't work.

So I guess I have a fear of trying to "start over again" on a "new" server.  That is a reservation I have about going to Gilgamesh which I don't think will easily be allayed.

Yet that could also move into Balmung.  If RL takes priority, would any guilds have myself and the wife if we are gone for almost a month?  Some can be sudden disappearances though I always do my best to tell people when it will be a planned absence.

Eh, more to think about.