"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki"

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I only have metagamer-friendly info on my wikis. Like, my characters exist in the world. There's information on them that other characters would be able to research freely. That's what goes on there - information for making connections with that doesn't need my OK-ing to mention. Anything else is FOIP.

...probably still need updating though. I thoroughly appreciate the fact it took Berrod an entire year to do his, like... {Same}. xD

I haven't updated Sol's wiki in months... and months, and months. When I find the time, I plan to scrap most of it and start over with just basic information that won't require a lot of updates (and will discourage metagaming). Writing out her backstory for all to read was helpful at first. Without a pre-established network of RP contacts, her wiki bio acted as a useful RP hook. But now so much has happened to her, and she has changed so much, that her pre-RP past is less relevant to the storylines she's currently involved in. And the idea of updating her bio with every event that happens in RP? Ha. No. There's no way I could keep up with that.

Came back to find out that Corelyn and Dail'a's wikis had broken in my absence! Given I'm finally back and no longer locked out of the game (lovely lovely Squeenix support /rolleyes) I figured maybe that should be fixed. So they're fixed, and all nice and pretty. <3 Took a week or so's worth of work, but I'm happy with 'em!

Now to unleash them upon Eorzea once more! >=-D

Having only recently joined the RPC, the fact that I'm terrible at creating wikipages was one of the first things I learned. I've been putting off working on Khaji's wikipage for weeks. Every time I try to be adventurous and make it pretty, I mess it up beyond belief.

I admit I haven't really been bothered with custom wiki sheets? I can convey the information I want to (which is very sparse) with basic wiki markup, and...

...I already have tumblr sidepages for my alts with extensive custom CSS. They look how I want them to, and I didn't have to wrestle with getting the CSS to cooperate with another system (since tumblr sidepages don't actually pull anything from tumblr itself unless you want them to for a specific reason). Still, it took me several weeks to get them all in order, and I'm dreading going through them for review since there's so many of them.

I can't imagine having to do it for wiki pages as well, as neat as it might be to have cute formatting. :< Is that bad? My tumblr sidepages are the the ones I link in my search info anyway (since the URL is short), so IDK how much attention my wiki pages even get.

They're basically like little previews of my sidepages, lol...

I admit I haven't really been bothered with custom wiki sheets? I can convey the information I want to (which is very sparse) with basic wiki markup, and...

Exactly!

Wiki's don't have to be that sophisticated to get the job done ^^

Then again I wouldn't even know where to begin with a tumblr side bar.  That sounds a whole lot more involved than a character wiki!

I did it.

I finally finished custom wikis for my active characters.

Now I can rest

...for now.

bury me

I finished all mine, too, this week.

please kill me

I'm slowly working on updating the wiki for Kanako, new template and all. EVERYTHING IS FINE!

Everything is going wrong please send help oh my god what have I done

Update: I did it. The most painful part of it is done. I just need to add finishing touches. That only took me a month. :^)

Exactly!

Wiki's don't have to be that sophisticated to get the job done ^^

Then again I wouldn't even know where to begin with a tumblr side bar.  That sounds a whole lot more involved than a character wiki!

I usually start here:

http://theme-hunter.tumblr.com/tagged/codes

Then use my pre-existing knowledge of HTML and CSS to adapt the page code I chose for my use. w3schools is useful to bridge knowledge gaps in that department.

Arguably it's more involved, because you have to define everything from top to bottom, then execute it... but personally I find it easier to deal with one consistent system than trying to blend two together. If I encounter a problem when customising my tumblr sidepage, I can usually find the solution by easily googling for anyone else using CSS in any context...

Whereas even when I was writing my pages with basic wiki markup, I kept on trying to use a piece of markup I'd used in my wikia days, finding it didn't work, then... maybe I'm dumb, but... having to spend ages troubleshooting because I couldn't find any relevant usage documentation for the RPC wiki.

It took me half an hour to figure out the contents template was automatic (I started with under the required number of subtitles, putting {{Contents}} below the header, and getting frustrated when it wasn't doing anything). I ended up just utilising a workaround for my profile pic sizes, of manually resizing them in Ps and reuploading them instead of trying to get them to behave themselves with code. >_>

...I already have tumblr sidepages for my alts with extensive custom CSS. They look how I want them to, and I didn't have to wrestle with getting the CSS to cooperate with another system (since tumblr sidepages don't actually pull anything from tumblr itself unless you want them to for a specific reason). Still, it took me several weeks to get them all in order, and I'm dreading going through them for review since there's so many of them.

I can't imagine having to do it for wiki pages as well, as neat as it might be to have cute formatting. :< Is that bad? My tumblr sidepages are the the ones I link in my search info anyway (since the URL is short), so IDK how much attention my wiki pages even get.

They're basically like little previews of my sidepages, lol...

That was my view on it for a while, but my tumblr is like 80% shitposting lol. I just took one of the shiny templates and used it.