"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki"

Is there anyone else guilty of this? Mine is due for a serious update since Berrod has been back from his trip for more than a month now. I have some of the stuff typed out, but it's just to DOOOO IIIITTTT.

What about you guys? How many of you are long overdue for a wiki update on your characters?

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me....but my page is terrible. I don't understand how to make it look decent like some folks or even close to awesome, like others. The template is nice but I don't understand formatting stuff to make it a workable page. :cry:

So I tend to neglect it as a result.

I went through this when I brought Hornet back. Her old wiki was hideous and I had to just buckle down and do it. What I did was do a little at a time while I was at work. I still have to write out her history sections but once I was done with the major update I've found it much easier to stay on top of it.

I have to say thanks again to Gharen for helping me out with it, he got me the template I used and answered all of my questions.

I update mine at least weekly. I like events to stay up-to-date.

Regarding templates, if anyone is confused just look for a basic primer on HTML and CSS. This site, W3Schools, has wealth of information for free. You can get around most formatting if you just copy someone else's template [[ 1.) edit their page, 2.) copy / paste everything to notepad, 3.) cancel changes so you dont' actually change anything ]]. Then you can spruce it up with HTML in between.

I update mine at least weekly.  I like events to stay up-to-date.

Regarding templates, if anyone is confused just look for a basic primer on HTML and CSS.  This site, W3Schools, has wealth of information for free.  You can get around most formatting if you just copy someone else's template [[ 1.) edit their page, 2.) copy / paste everything to notepad, 3.) cancel changes so you dont' actually change anything ]].  Then you can spruce it up with HTML in between.

*Offers bribe* Help meeeee on my page! LOL!

I've been dragging my feet on this for probably well over a year now. I keep going back to: "if someone wants to know more about my character they should try to seek me out for some RP and not peruse a page filled with spoilers" so in some ways I favor keeping it kind of minimalist. There's a lot of spoilers and other stuff besides. That said, I think I'm probably going to cave and overhaul my wiki page soon anyway. xD

I try to update after anything important or major really.. though I don't really actively go out seeking large scale events either so ic'ly thing stay a bit quite :P (im ok with this because i was rushing on maxing my crafting classes anyway). 

Not really in any rush to update the page if something does happen though. I think I'm the main one who looks at it anyway xD

I've been debating overhauling my page a bit; I'm not crazy about the layout and some of it feels redundant. A friend commented it looks like a Monster Manual entry for Warren and while that immediately made me happy, I realize that's maybe not the compliment I took it as.

My primary issue is that Warren hasn't been involved with much in the open world; All of my RP to this point has been fluffy light-conversation with all of the meat happening in private and away from the view of everyone else. I've been in emotionally abusive relationships with GMs in the past and tend to keep my backstory on lockdown to avoid things that aren't known from coming up to bite me. It's a trust issue I'm well aware of (so if you know jack about Warren that isn't on his page, consider that a high compliment!) but recently I've been a bit more involved.

I'll mull it over, which is Warren-speak for "I'll do it eventually when I'm not lazy." He's going through some big issues right now that'll maybe finally cause him to grow as a person. Pain is growth!

I think my main focus on Jancis' wiki page is that, ultimately, it's for me.

I keep it mostly as a list of facts and notes (written in semi story form) of things I have to remember for her.

Keeping it short helps out a lot and makes it easy to keep updated. As long as I don't think of it as a storyboard it's manageable.

I have been intending to work on turning mine into pretty tables for about a month now. At first I was going to cheat and use html + CSS (as I used to practice modifying skins for phpbb forums some years ago so I'm quasi-familiar with doing quick and dirty with that), but most of it doesn't work in wikis. ;_; Instead, tables. So many tables. Tables in tables in tables in tables and tables.

Warren - I don't think it's a problem to keep some of your character's backstory hidden, even if it's because you don't trust people. While learning about others' characters oocly is fun, there is also fun involved in slowly learning about a character during the rp itself. So, you know. Stuff. I mean, I'd intended to slap down all of Zhi's backstory, but eh -- there is some freedom in leaving blank spots, because then you can change stuff without anyone being the wiser. Muahaha. Besides, I thought your wiki page was pretty peachy.

I have been intending to work on turning mine into pretty tables for about a month now. At first I was going to cheat and use html + CSS (as I used to practice modifying skins for phpbb forums some years ago so I'm quasi-familiar with doing quick and dirty with that), but most of it doesn't work in wikis. ;_; Instead, tables. So many tables. Tables in tables in tables in tables and tables.

Warren - I don't think it's a problem to keep some of your character's backstory hidden, even if it's because you don't trust people. While learning about others' characters oocly is fun, there is also fun involved in slowly learning about a character during the rp itself. So, you know. Stuff. I mean, I'd intended to slap down all of Zhi's backstory, but eh -- there is some freedom in leaving blank spots, because then you can change stuff without anyone being the wiser. Muahaha. Besides, I thought your wiki page was pretty peachy.

Aww, thanks Moriarty. Admittedly part of my hesitation is so that when I have threads going on where I don't explain anything, it'll hopefully draw some intrigue. I mean have you seen some of the stuff going on over here? It's all super vague and who KNOWS what's going on? WHOA!

I try to keep L'yhta's page relatively up to date, mostly in the "Associates" section. I don't try to update her entry with everything that's happening to her, since I like some things being a bit mysterious. :)

The template is nice but I don't understand formatting stuff to make it a workable page. :cry:

This is actually something I hear periodically in game, in two forms: "Someone made this cool page for me, but I can't figure out how to change it," and "I don't want to learn HTML just to put a page together, so I won't." That's why I've been poking around at the wiki templates category (adding one for the "simple template," creating a template based off L'yhta's page, etc.). At her request, I actually rebuilt Racilian's page using wikitext because she couldn't figure out how to edit the HTML on her page without breaking it. (Which, BTW, is something I'll do for anyone who wants. Just drop me a PM. :) )

What I'm about to say is emphatically not any statement of policy or intentions with regards to policy, so please don't take it as such. It's just my personal opinion. I actually really dislike the proliferation of heavy HTML pages on the wiki, since I think I badly disrupts the general "look and feel" of the site, makes some feel they need a web designer to make a wiki page, causes problems for some who ask for a page to be made and then can't figure out how the HTML works, and sometimes screws up the site's layout (especially when floating divs are used). I appreciate the creativity people put into it, but I think a consistent look and feel is important -- think of how tricky Wikipedia would be to use if every page had its own layout, backgrounds, and CSS! Also, there's some cool things we could potentially do using the wiki's API if everyone used only wikitext and a relatively consistent format, such as an automatically generated graphical map of character relationships, but that's made vastly more difficult when people swap wikitext for HTML.

At any rate, that's just my personal opinion, and I'm not planning on enforcing any part of it (the RPC is a resource for RPers, not FreelanceWizard's personal dominion). I would, though, implore people to use wikitext instead of HTML.

Aww, thanks Moriarty. Admittedly part of my hesitation is so that when I have threads going on where I don't explain anything, it'll hopefully draw some intrigue. I mean have you seen some of the stuff going on over here? It's all super vague and who KNOWS what's going on? WHOA!

You're welcome, Moriarty (or are you Sherlock?). Ehhh, see, I also enjoy reading books that dump you in the middle of nowhere without explaining a damn thing so it takes you half the book to figure out specifics of what was going on in the beginning (Kameron Hurley's God's War comes to mind, what with the bugpunk and crazy setting. I would totally have her babies). So to me it's juuuust fine. That and you write well, which helps to keep it engaging. I am totally not trying to lull you into a sense of false security, either. I swear.

I actually really dislike the proliferation of heavy HTML pages on the wiki, since I think I badly disrupts the general "look and feel" of the site, makes some feel they need a web designer to make a wiki page, causes problems for some who ask for a page to be made and then can't figure out how the HTML works, and sometimes screws up the site's layout (especially when floating divs are used).

I think for me, the reason why I want to make mine all fancy has to do with one thing that really, really irks me on any page: I cannot stand it when words are left free to fill up most of the screen. I am used to reading books, where the formatting keeps it nice and neat so I'm not having to follow text some fifteen to twenty inches side to side. If there was a default that limited how far the text could go horizontally, I'd be less inclined to play with tables!

I think for me, the reason why I want to make mine all fancy has to do with one thing that really, really irks me on any page: I cannot stand it when words are left free to fill up most of the screen. I am used to reading books, where the formatting keeps it nice and neat so I'm not having to follow text some fifteen to twenty inches side to side. If there was a default that limited how far the text could go horizontally, I'd be less inclined to play with tables!

On my home PC (2560x1440), MediaWikis get a little... tricky to read. :) So, I'm certainly sympathetic to this, especially with the small font size (10pt sans-serif, as opposed to Wikipedia's more-or-less 10.75pt sans-serif). One MediaWiki I run for a client actually uses, per their request, 10pt Calibri, which is terrifyingly small. :P

One thing I've considered doing is remaking the skin for the wiki -- or, rather, changing it to the new MediaWiki standard (Vector) and using CSS overrides to set the background, reformat the sidebar, etc. I could also change the size of the body div to make it not expand forever on high resolution screens and set the font to something a bit easier to read (Segoe UI, or possibly something in the 11-12pt serif area). It's a thought, at least.

On my home PC (2560x1440), MediaWikis get a little... tricky to read. :) So, I'm certainly sympathetic to this, especially with the small font size (10pt sans-serif, as opposed to Wikipedia's more-or-less 10.75pt sans-serif). One MediaWiki I run for a client actually uses, per their request, 10pt Calibri, which is terrifyingly small. :P

One thing I've considered doing is remaking the skin for the wiki -- or, rather, changing it to the new MediaWiki standard (Vector) and using CSS overrides to set the background, reformat the sidebar, etc. I could also change the size of the body div to make it not expand forever on high resolution screens and set the font to something a bit easier to read (Segoe UI, or possibly something in the 11-12pt serif area). It's a thought, at least.

I would love you more than I already love you, and I wouldn't bother with tables except for relationships (because they take up so much space, otherwise). THIS I SWEAR.

I don't know how to wiki or write well q_q...

I mean... I want to update and write-up my wiki page like most people (especially when talking about character appearance and describing things) with eloquent writing and sentence-structuring.. but I can't do anything like that because I english bad.

SO instead I wrote massive paragraphs about the two people closest to her.

Other than that, I don't know what else to write/update with. I'm a wee bit on the same fence as Warren but not quite..(but omg. hugs) where I didn't want to include too much because I didn't want people to know what she's like before even meeting her, or to keep away from her 'warning signs,' because if they don't know, then oh well.