"Ugh I need to update my character's Wiki"

• Replies 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know the feeling. :) I'm constantly checking it, tweaking, looking for people I know to put L'yhta's comments in their rumours section, checking to see if someone's linked to her...

I'll rumor you if you rumor me? I know we haven't met IC, but... I can fake it! :angel:

I know the feeling. :) I'm constantly checking it, tweaking, looking for people I know to put L'yhta's comments in their rumours section, checking to see if someone's linked to her...

I'll rumor you if you rumor me? I know we haven't met IC, but... I can fake it! :angel:

People do tend to gossip in passing (even if harmlessly) about people they don't know irl. ;)

I haven't really bothered with mine. I'd like to and I see the appeal but I am of the firm belief that many role-players spend a bit too much time polishing their character profiles and not enough time actually getting out into the game world to pursue role-play or step outside of their comfort zones.

This was very apparent in other MMO's with similar initiatives, I found - with WoW being a prominent example.

I love reading people's wiki. And updating my own when I can.

I allows me to put tidbits about other characters that I otherwise can't either though RP or written stories. And it allows others to catch up on what the heck is going on with my own if they want to know. 

I also have recent events and history under spoiler tags with a warning to the readers that those are for OOC information only. So far, I have been lucky in that regard that no one has abused what I put there. And because the recap of recent events tend to grow over time, I like it under the spoiler tag as well, nice and neat.

I also like wiki for the opportunities to put art related to your character AND screenshots! That awesome Tiergan portrait! So going there! I know so many others with some great formatting and artwork on their pages and I get envious!

I know some have put music on their wikis too.  I should, I just haven't gotten around to it.

Lastly, for those who are intimidated by wiki coding, I first put together my page just cutting and pasting someone's basic page format and inserting text and pictures into it. Then I got page envy and bugged Gharen to help me. Which he generously did. ^_^

I love reading people's wiki pages, and I enjoy keeping mine up to date. Somewhat. I tend to keep it a little behind the times, because it completely eliminates the possibility of someone metagaming with current events in my character's life.

Yeah.

That sounds much better than "I'm too lazy, sometimes, to update it."

Me....but my page is terrible. I don't understand how to make it look decent like some folks or even close to awesome, like others. The template is nice but I don't understand formatting stuff to make it a workable page. :cry:

So I tend to neglect it as a result.

This is me as well *laughs*.

I do update the wiki with the scenes my characters play, though. If I don't forget.

Hnnngh I decided to stop being lazy and start the update at last. Images first, then updates to the text! I think I'll procrastinate a bit more on the friends section, that always takes a lot of time...

Edit: YOSSSSSSS. Small update, but it'll do for now!

Huehuehue. My favorite parts of these wikis are going around and inputting Oscare's rumors.

Full disclosure: The prospect of reading/writing rumors was the largest appeal to me making a wiki page.

Yep -- and seeing new rumors on my own page makes me unreasonably happy.

Huehuehue. My favorite parts of these wikis are going around and inputting Oscare's rumors.

Full disclosure: The prospect of reading/writing rumors was the largest appeal to me making a wiki page.

They really are. Feels interactive! And it's just fun to know what other people's character say about yours. Cool concept in general.

Part of it's ego, I suspect. Probably most of it, really. But there's a warm, not-self-serving happy feeling that comes from having left a mark enough on someone for them to contribute.

That's still probably falling under ego. Damn.

Part of it's ego, I suspect. Probably most of it, really. But there's a warm, not-self-serving happy feeling that comes from having left a mark enough on someone for them to contribute.

I find it more like it's a "thumbs up" from people not only just RPing with you, but just happened to be in the general vicinity that liked your RP.

... which probably still qualifies as ego, doesn't it? @_@

It's a bit of ego and a bit of interest in how other people's characters perceive him. 

More the latter than the former, I enjoy seeing how the minds of other characters work.

A lot of the time I just end up going "HNGH MUST ROLEPLAY WITH THIS PERSON MORE. SO FANTASTIC."

For me, I'd say it's a testament to my ego.

Did my character make that much of an impact?

Did they enjoy RPing with me?

What does their character think of my character?

- Of course it sucks when I'm also really bad about updating that stuff.

Mine could use some updating. I should also make some for my alts. I should also learn how to make it pretty. I should also update the pictures on it. And probably read some more of the others. 

But then there's the issue of time. 

I need a secretary. 

._.

Perhaps not ego, but definitely self-esteem. Fine line between those, I've found.

That's sort of the catch of roleplaying in general. It's a desire to be welcomed and liked by other people by being an appealing person. It's human to want to be accepted, and RPing boils down to wanting to meet new people. It's healthy to want to make people happy! I just know that I feel validated when someone "gets" me and has things to say about it.

Alright, amateur psych hour is over.

I need to spiff up my page. Too lazy. Someone else do it.