Bleed-through

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imho Bleed-Through as it stands is something that always happens, in a smaller or bigger scale. 

I've always likened Roleplaying to a mixture of acting, aswell as dynamic playwriting. On one hand, you try to convey as realistically as possible what your 'character' (Which in a way is simply a fictive being who's personality you've outlined in your mind) does in a fictive world. What I personally do is that I try to get 'In character', into the mindset of what he would do, and how he would react. Ofcourse that will, in some way, move you or impact you, as we develop a certain attachment to our Creations. Plus, we're invested, with time, and effort.

Now, straight out bleed-through for me is rather when I carry personal issues into the roleplay. and that breaks character.

I think a little bleed-through is never bad, because it often can even help to give your character a more realistic, feasable edge, and it helps to translate real emotion into your play. Likewise however, if it starts breaking character, rather then enforcing it, it becomes problematic. I mean, I am sure we all know the old catch 22 situation of strict OOC/IC seperation, but sometimes, a very small bit will always go through. The question is if it's beneficial or contraproductive.

For some it ended in bullet holes.

For someone else it ended in a barely-eaten lobster dinner and almost entire bottle of wine.  At least she didn't have to pay.

You didn't finish your lobster...?

...how rude of you.

Speaking of bleed through! Crofte! There was a random moment in game when I had Berrod loitering outside of the Quicksand. He spotted Coatleque and harassed her a bit. It was short, but ruuuude. Her reaction was well played -- but for a moment I considered that it may have been offensive to the player (the way you ran with it confirmed otherwise and was quite a relief). 

Have you ever been annoyed out of character by the advances of other characters onto yours?

It's addicting! I keep running through it in my head: The high of having pulled off the raid and having what need, which is then smash-cut to people bleeding out in a building in Drybone. Cinematic and gripping. Everything went so far south so rapidly, it's kind of amazing.

/shouldbeinthekudosthread

/doesntcare

Have you ever been annoyed out of character by the advances of other characters onto yours?

If the advances are in-character, I find it hilarious usually. Especially with Crofte who tends to be oblivious to them.

In general I'm a very hard person to upset, but if I found anything truly truly offensive, I'd send the person a tell.

I'm offended that Berrods off harrassing Crofte rather than harrassing Hornet. *huffs, turns every thread into the shipping thread*

Dammit Horney, there's a whole sectioned-off area for that sort of thing!

Honestly, it reminded me of one night, weeks ago, when I was standing in the Quicksand. Hildanis Alexandar came over and they had a conversation about how that used to be her post, and how Crofte shouldn't have any trouble save the occasional drunken marriage proposal.

Still haven't had one of those yet, but I'm waiting :D

I'm offended that Berrods off harrassing Crofte rather than harrassing Hornet.  *huffs, turns every thread into the shipping thread*

Hah! He has harassed Hornet, though, at the Grindstone! 

But seriously, there are times I place Berrod outside the Quicksand to -- well, harrass the ladyfolk and make the place seem a little seedy. I usually do it just outside the door to Pearl Lane -- but sometimes on the Ruby road. 

More often than not I find myself sending tells to the players assuring them that I'm just playing a jackass -- just in case bleed through results in them being offended.

But seriously, there are times I place Berrod outside the Quicksand to -- well, harrass the ladyfolk and make the place seem a little seedy. I usually do it just outside the door to Pearl Lane -- but sometimes on the Ruby road. 

More often than not I find myself sending tells to the players assuring them that I'm just playing a jackass -- just in case bleed through results in them being offended.

The time Berrod did it in, well his own bar, was pretty funny where Jancis' "other half" got pissed off at Berrod's girly comment.

Most of the time such comments are pretty funny and having a light touch really helps keep the line out of the creepy zone. Catcalls = entertaining.

The time Berrod did it in, well his own bar, was pretty funny where Jancis' "other half" got pissed off at Berrod's girly comment.

Most of the time such comments are pretty funny and having a light touch really helps keep the line out of the creepy zone. Catcalls = entertaining.

Berrod was just feeding off of his irritation and being a complete douchecanoe, too. He does so enjoy pissing off the midder boys.