Calling all Yellowjackets (Brainstorming and Discussion)

Okay, so in the Limsa Lominsa Contacts thread, the subject came up about establishing a group of folks who play as Yellowjackets inside the city, to serve as antagonists to the more shady, underworld types.

I have an alt, Melodia D'janz, who has been literally unused and is almost an impossible character to use as I had initially developed. So I am revamping her and want to work her as a Yellowjacket.

What I am looking for are others who might be interested in this. I am thinking this would be a good place to brainstorm ideas and get maybe some input from those that play in the Sultansworn or Brass Blades and get any advice on how to effectively run this type of thing so that it works. :) 

So please, let me know if you are interested and please leave any thoughts that might help.

We have a real opportunity to expand the rp scene in the server and I am excited to help make that happen. :thumbsup:

I'm super supportive of this. Though my hand lies more in the criminal side of things, I can definitely have an occasional alt to pop over and indulge in some barracks humor.

But to kinda pop in with the option from the Connections thread -- something to consider would be doing a unit that is sort of the dregs. Enough authority to scare the criminals interested in having a police force to work with (against?) while at the same time offering legit outs for those who oocly do not want to interact with law enforcement icly.

This I wouldn't mind. Melodia was initially supposed to be a villain so playing a less than scrupulous city guard might be a good way to play her and make her playable in general. Plus would keep it fun.

I know when I see them in the game I do not hold the image of super formality in my mind with them that I do the Sultansworn. So I think a rough-and-tumble type group would fit the character of the city.

Hell even the Admiral herself is pretty damn tough so yeah, I agree.

Yeah, if we can get some folks on board, I think it would be fantastic. We already have a core group of people in the the city that play on the other side of the law, so I really feel that it if we can set up folks to play on the opposite side, it will set up an solid rp dynamic within the city. :)  That in place, other rp'ers and new folks will have a place to interact more openly.

At least I think so. :)

Omg I have the perfect character for thiiiiiis.

Madeline Rhett: got into the jackets just to prove that any idiot can do it.  

... Wait...

Hehe

..... But I'm so invested in Daphine and Andy right now I'm not sureI'd have proper time for her.

Let me know how this pans out. I can always alt-play while on my main in an LS and hop over when applicable. 

Good luck, Ruru!

Omg I have the perfect character for thiiiiiis.

Madeline Rhett: got into the jackets just to prove that any idiot can do it.  

... Wait...

Hehe

..... But I'm so invested in Daphine and Andy right now I'm not sureI'd have proper time for her.

Let me know how this pans out. I can always alt-play while on my main in an LS and hop over when applicable. 

Good luck, Ruru!

Oh no worries. By shifting my alt Melodia to this it's a bit of a challenge story wise for her, but lol...I think she'd be more at home in Andy's business than in the Yellowjackets. :P

But, I need to work a bit with her in game to get her to a place I feel more comfortable using her. And she would by no means replace Ruru for time. I think I can invest a decent amount with her especially in terms of getting stuff established. And if your alt is part that would be awesome. But initially I am going to try and get the ball rolling with Melodia and show folks that this is a good option. :)

I'd be up for trying to help with this.. though doing this and keeping to the fc's story might prove entertaining :3

I can't really give much information on the Yellow Jackets or how to go about setting up a group like that.. but here to offer support or help xD ...

I'd be up for trying to help with this.. though doing this and keeping to the fc's story might prove entertaining :3

I can't really give much information on the Yellow Jackets or how to go about setting up a group like that.. but here to offer support or help xD ...

I think initially we just want to get a few people to actually rp in the roles.

I would throw the question out to those that play Sultansworn, or Brass Blades. When you are rp'ing in the official duty status in the city, how are you doing that? I mean, do you guys report to someone when you log in? Do you just wander? The questions sound silly, but I think we want to do it right and you guys seem to be doing it right. So, please pass along your advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly, I just sort of assumed the role and the rest of the community just fell in line. that's what makes it so much fun. I had also read other people's stories and backgrounds so I had some idea of who already held rank in their own arcs.

I only assumed a sergeant rank because Natalie held it and was on suspension, for example. I fully intended to step down if her suspension ended.

Otherwise, you just sort of RP as things happen and go from there. If the community wasn't so amazing the whole law enforcement idea wouldn't even work.

I would throw the question out to those that play Sultansworn, or Brass Blades. When you are rp'ing in the official duty status in the city, how are you doing that? I mean, do you guys report to someone when you log in? Do you just wander? The questions sound silly, but I think we want to do it right and you guys seem to be doing it right. So, please pass along your advice. It would be greatly appreciated.

I don't quite count so take my answer with a grain (or glass) of salt, but I got my "start" by just looming over the Quicksand in uniform. The folks roleplaying around me seemed to acknowledge Warren's presence and it just sort of clicked into place. My advice would be to get a convincing uniform and just wander RP circuits. Emote that you're observing people. Make smalltalk with NPCs. I've got a hunch that most of the folks into skullduggery would acknowledge you.

I don't quite count so take my answer with a grain (or glass) of salt, but I got my "start" by just looming over the Quicksand in uniform. The folks roleplaying around me seemed to acknowledge Warren's presence and it just sort of clicked into place. My advice would be to get a convincing uniform and just wander RP circuits. Emote that you're observing people. Make smalltalk with NPCs. I've got a hunch that most of the folks into skullduggery would acknowledge you.

Yeah I thought about this. It wouldn't be too hard since the Yellowjacket uniform is fairly easy. and there are a few shady souls that are in the Wench and Member (LOL a new tavern name). I like the idea. Hell thats how Coatleque caught Ruru's attention when she came to Limsa; although not in uniform, her conversation with the innkeep caught his attention real fast.

I think initially we just want to get a few people to actually rp in the roles.

Ok, here we go, this is via trial and error, feeling out the line as to where we can go without crossing. Also let me say I welcome this to the inth level as it could yield fantastic cross-city rp where maybe a fugitive crosses borders or where a citizen of a city dies in another and coordination is required by both agencies. The possibilities are endless. That said, here are some tips.

1. You will need a charismatic leader. A symbol played by a conscientious RPer. Someone who can play the ideal yellowjacket, a shining symbol of what a yellowjacket at their best should be according to common morality as well as game lore. Also the RPer must lead by example, never by order. We are all playing a game here and claiming leadership in rp circles is poison. The leader must understand that and work within that idea.

2. Be inclusive, go yellow, but remember and take note of other groups in your city. After you start this, other rpers playing other forms of authority will grow out naturally. Being inclusive can lead to fun rp, and also reduce the chance that the two groups will step on eachother's toes.

3. Make a LS and add every person in uniform. They don't all RP as yellows granted, but it crossed their minds if they are high level and still feel the need to run around in it. And overhearing chatter over the LS will draw attention to what your doing, and even if they aren't into it, they will point your way when they see someone wanting to join.

4. No matter how well you know your "villain", never, ever, ever, ever, attack, approach, arrest, or assert ANY authority over a player without going over it with them first. Even if it is a long standing rp and you know eachother and whatever, do not engage until you have given warning and gained approval. The other player must be respected, and you can make a thrilling RP that totally has a heroic spin, but you have to be very careful.

5. The most important piece of advice. You are RPing as authority, by the lore and setting of this game, you are gaining what many will fear is undue control over every character in your city. Many will turn on you as soon as you open your mouth. All you can do is build the trust. And hold it. By taking this route you are excepting a huge responsibility, as well as a huge target on your chest. You will be accused of metagaming, and everything else for unexpected reasons. You have to stick it out. In time if you are helpful and respectful ooc, and a good character ic, you will in time gain trust and people will not suspect every action.... just some of them. RPing as authority is no joke, be careful.

Thank you so far for the ideas and the posts. It's exciting to see some great ideas out there and even some interested.

The overall goal, as always, is to attract folks to come and rp in the city. Setting up a stable environment will really help a group like this thrive. Please keep the ideas coming. :)

I made my first comment after just waking up. I can also echo everything Erik and Warren said.

A typical night as a Sultansworn is just me walking around the city and standing on street corners listening to others. Maybe 25% of the time a fight breaks out in the Quicksand and I just flex RP muscle till both sides disperse. 25% is people murmuring about a Sultansworn seen outside of the palace. I've only had to draw a weapon twice in three months real time.

As long as you respect the position, the lore, and others, most people seem content to play along with the idea. Then once your presence is established it's fun to see the shady characters throw you glances and take their scheming outside the city.

All I have is pretty much an echo of what others have posted before me.

Not everyone will respect the RP you will endeavor for. However, I think most will embrace it because it does become fun. In my experience, most people liked seeing Sultansworn RPing but there were some who just hated it, especially with the thought that Sultansworn just should be confined to the Royal Chambers (making sure Nanamo's bath is well soaped and not cold I MEAN :roll: ) So some might think you are breaking lore, others... may still think you are breaking lore. True story I saw someone say to a Sultansworn RPer that they should follow the law of Eorzea and do X for the good of Eorzea etc. Because, SULTANSWORN!

I've never done daily reports except for possibly in forum RP a check-in or debrief. I go about my day. Perhaps off-duty. Perhaps Kage is on patrol (as Sultansworn just keeping an eye on things in concern and not a 'oh this guy is breaking the law ohhh I can throw him in gaol!' As Brass Blade he got to actually patrol. In fact, the first night I walked around in my (gimped, damn u sollerets y u no drop?!) uniform I stumbled across some RP that ended oddly but they actually saw my uniformed patrolling Blade and called for assistance.

Everyone and their carbuncle will have expectations on how you are supposed to RP X type of character. It's really up to you whether or not you reach a compromise with their expectations or if you have fun with it while staying true to what you believe works within lore.

Okay.....so tonight I plan to log in for a little while as Melodia and get things set up for her. Additionally I will set up a LS and invite whoever is interested in participating. That way we can keep in contact and would make sense anyway that the officers would be in touch. :)  Also thank you to Rosekitten who has offered to assit if anyone needs help with the uniforms (YAY!).

I'm so happy to see this taking root and getting set up. Like Erik had mentioned, it does provide for opportunities for cross city rp scenarios. :D

I think you already got some really great advice Ruru.

When I RPed Sultansworn and then subsequently Brass Blades, I made sure I looked the part, then walked around in that mindset doing my patrols or standing guard. I think writing posts on the forum helped...? I am not sure about that.  (but I do that because I enjoy it)

As Sultansworn, there were times where Roen was not wearing the Paladin Regalia but was still on duty. I saw random RP between four people where it looked like violence was about to break out. I emoted watching them, getting tense, then consciously having her make the decision to stop it, even though I had no idea who the RPers were! But when I did get involved she did announce that she was on duty and violence was not going to happen on the Market Strip.  And they played along!

RP doesn't change, you still have to be conscious of how you RP with others, being respectful and courteous. But emoting tons about what you are doing as a law officer definitely helps, and also provides a hook for others if they want to RP with you!

Having a law enforcement LS helps also, since you can respond to IC situations when other law enforcement calls for help.

I don't know how much or how well I can contribute, seeing as how I RP as Immortal Flames and that organization is more analogous to the Maelstrom than to the Yellowjackets (closest thing in Ul'dah to the jacks are the Brass Blades; Jacks and Blades are the coppers, Flames and Storms are the soldiers), but seeing as how I was asked in a PM to do so, I'll try my best.

First and foremost, I reiterate everything Erik said. You should have a leader-type character, if not a leader, who embodies the living ideal of the organization. You need to be inclusive. You need to have some semblance of structure, and an "official" LS helps a lot with this. Do not assert authority or make arrests or anything of that nature without OoCly checking with the other person first (I didn't check one time when I was assisting others with their arrest, and that got rolled back; I checked the only time I personally made an arrest, and it went smoothly). And yes, RPing as an authority figure will catch you a lot of flak, undeserved or otherwise.

Personal feedback that I haven't seen given yet:

1. One of my biggest concerns when RPing as an authority is... when I'm IC, when is my character on duty? When is my character off-duty? When my character is off-duty, how much authority do they have? Can they act on an incident, or not? More often than not, I find myself making these decisions and judgments on a case-by-case basis.

2. Be very, very careful OoC when eavesdropping IC. Not everyone keeps what they believe should remain private conversations to /party and /tell, and their style and preference may have them in /say and /emote instead. There's potential there for drama, rollbacks, etc.

Thank you all that replied and to those that I sent the PM to, I appreciate it. I needed some good feedback and got it. :)  I think there;s a very valuable wealth of knowledge here.

Now, just getting folks that want to be a part.

*looks around for volunteers.*

I think you have to be willing to start by yourself. I RPed a Sultansworn for months by myself before I got apprentices, and the organization started to feel like it had any sense of coherence. If you're going to do it I suggest two things, simply start doing it, and walk around as a yellow jacket, and also to make an alt to be the commander.

It might be lonely for the first week, or even months, but that's what it takes to build something from the ground up. You have to be the person people see walking around and go "Cool, I didn't know anyone RPed as that."