The Sultansworn RP Guide

Erik Mynhier

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure I agree with 'You can be Sultansworn and have another job', but I am of the school that if you want to RP x with the appropriate amount of weight, you should deal with all the facets of being x. That means taking on the limitations of being a royal guard. When Kale was a Flame Sergeant, I cut myself off from any RP that an Immortal Flame soldier would not likely participate in. Thanalan or nothing. To me, I'd see potential issues with someone being a merchant all day, then donning the Gallant armour when RP isn't going their way to be all like 'Actually I'm Sultansworn, you should listen to me'.

• Above all else, respect each other. The role is not an easy one to play. The rest of the player-base has been kind enough to look up to us with in-game respect for choosing to role-play a position of power without overstepping our bounds. Please, remember what the name "Paladin" means, and strive to act like one when in-character.

This is cool, though. Sultansworn RPers have a great reputation and I approve of that. I'm not sure 'Paladin' in the context of Ul'dah means Goodie-Two-Shoes, though. If you have a ruthless and tyrannical Sultan in power, the Sultansworn are going to be as such.

Not sure I agree with 'You can be Sultansworn and have another job', but I am of the school that if you want to RP x with the appropriate amount of weight, you should deal with all the facets of being x. That means taking on the limitations of being a royal guard. When Kale was a Flame Sergeant, I cut myself off from any RP that an Immortal Flame soldier would not likely participate in. Thanalan or nothing. To me, I'd see potential issues with someone being a merchant all day, then donning the Gallant armour when RP isn't going their way to be all like 'Actually I'm Sultansworn, you should listen to me'.

I don't think anyone really acts like that way from most Sultansworns. We try our best to limit ourselves to be regular citizens just with shiny armor because we try to give Brass Blade players to get the opportunity as a law enforcement. However, there are -times- that we end up using our title to let everyone know that somethings are for the benefits of Sultana and Ul'dah.

I feel that having two occupation isn't a bad thing. Technically, before Immortal Flames was formed - Sultansworns existed and they had their own brigades to monitor the city and Thanalans with Brass Blades. Their jobs got easier when Flames was formed, but during Carteneau the Sultansworns fulfilled their duties as a soldier too during war. As a matter of fact, Sultansworns rank should be as equal as Sergeant to higher rank for Immortal Flame should they work for both because of amount of trials and training they had to go through.

I think there could be a better word than "job" because of the connotations that word has in FF games. Saying "You can be Sworn AND have another job as well" makes it sound like you could also be a black mage, or dragoon, or etc etc etc.

I also don't think anyone's going to try and pretend they've got a regular 9-to-5 on top of it, either, but there's nothing to say that you can't pour drinks at a bar on your off time. As others have said, as long as it makes sense it makes sense.

As of how it stands, Sultansworns could literally have Immortal Flame insignia to take Flame missions to assist the soldiers if they wanted to. But in the end, the priority is always Sultana before missions.

If she tells you to be at the Royal promenade at once, you disregard everything and haul your butt to get there.

• 5 weeks later...

I am going to bump this thread for any who are interested, or WERE interested in the past with some additional information.

In regards to "joining" the Sultansworn:

I know a few people had asked me in the past (in-character) about joining the Sworn. I had played this off as not being Crofte's responsibility, but the Captain's. My reasoning was two-fold. First, the whole Trials of the Sworn idea was not mine. As such I did not want to step on someone else's toes or 'take over' their concept without permission. Secondly, from an in-character perspective it really isn't within Coatleque's power to grant or deny membership to the Order. The idea (which may have been lost in translation) was that you should not be coming to her saying "where do I join", but come to her saying "I'm a new initiate, they assigned me to you".

Due to on-going player story arcs, the balance of 'command' around those of us who have portrayed Sworn has shifted. As such, Coatleque will be taking a more active role as my time allows between other RP elements, to try and perform actual training of new initiates.

Crofte is now in charge of the two 'major' trials of courage and loyalty, and may be taking over the 3rd as well in the future depending on how things play out. I will also think up some 'minor' trials to fill in the gaps as time allows.

The Sultansworn Trials:

These trials are only meant to be small RP events to add to an initiate's experience. They are in no way supposed to be a pass/fail type of test to 'exclude' someone from the Order. If a person decides to take them as such, that is of course their decision and makes perfect sense to treat them as such depending on how in-depth an RPer you are.

There are two ways I will treat new initiates, and this is entirely up to each person. The first option is, of course, that they are a brand new initiate to the order. The second option is that they are already a full member and are undergoing additional trials to become a 'Gallant' of the sworn (elite of the elite as it were). The general consensus is that a normal Sultansworn wears the tabbard as seen by those in the Palace, while the Gallant's wear the AF armor as seen by Jenlyns (and Papashan who wore the AF crown when in uniform).

There are also some people who have recently come into the game as either full-fledged Sworn, or as Free Paladins who want to return to the order. This is perfectly acceptable! Again, none of this is supposed to be a 'clique' or special group. These persons can affirm as well that I have read their backgrounds and treated them as such. The whole 'Initiate' status is only for those who chose to go that route in their RP.

What about the MSQ?:

Until the story progresses further than what was recently revealed, we have to assume everything is business as usual. I do not anticipate too big of a shift, this being an MMO after all, but be prepared for anything. The community as a whole will have to simply address that if/when it happens.

• 2 months later...

Below is some dialogue taken out of the latest content. I have hidden anything that could be considered "spoilers" and left only relevant lore to draw from. Points to be made below.

uVrx87i.png

What can we draw from this then to enhance our own understanding of the Sultansworn? It looks like most of our assumptions have been correct to date with the following additions:

A) Sultansworn actively recruit. They do not begin training from a young age. Anyone could join so long as they show martial prowess, and bear no hate against the Sultana

B & H) There are ranks. Or at least, there are multiple Captains. We now have another confirmed "Captain" other than Jenlyns, and she referred to herself as a "high-ranking officer" which means we can deduce there is an overall ranking system like the Flames or Blades might have.

D, E, I) The Sultansworn are tasked with the defense of the Sultanate. They have the power to do whatever is necessary to see to that very task. They take on their own investigations without prior approval from the Sultana herself. And just like the FBI or Secret Service, they do not need to share the reasons of doing so with the general public.

C) The Sultansworn are well-funded. It can be assumed, I believe, that they draw directly from the treasury if necessary and may even have private backers from wealthy royalists.

F) The Sultansworn palace guard that you see as NPCs standing around are all wearing the Squire's armor. They can mostly be viewed as new recruits, but are still fully Sultansworn.

G) The Sultansworn have the power to enforce the law. Per the Captain's command she declares someone an enemy of the state AND deploys other Sworn to track this person down.

Finally, Captain Phillice is wearing the full Gallant armor (even moreso than Jenlyns). I think it is safe to say the Paladin AF armor is the official uniform of Sworn who have moved beyond being Squires. And the fact that they are called Squires also lends credence that the Gallants are in fact Knights.

Below is some dialogue taken out of the latest content. I have hidden anything that could be considered "spoilers" and left only relevant lore to draw from. Points to be made below.

uVrx87i.png

What can we draw from this then to enhance our own understanding of the Sultansworn? It looks like most of our assumptions have been correct to date with the following additions:

A) Sultansworn actively recruit. They do not begin training from a young age. Anyone could join so long as they show martial prowess, and bear no hate against the Sultana

B & H) There are ranks. Or at least, there are multiple Captains. We now have another confirmed "Captain" other than Jenlyns, and she referred to herself as a "high-ranking officer" which means we can deduce there is an overall ranking system like the Flames or Blades might have.

D, E, I) The Sultansworn are tasked with the defense of the Sultanate. They have the power to do whatever is necessary to see to that very task. They take on their own investigations without prior approval from the Sultana herself. And just like the FBI or Secret Service, they do not need to share the reasons of doing so with the general public.

C) The Sultansworn are well-funded. It can be assumed, I believe, that they draw directly from the treasury if necessary and may even have private backers from wealthy royalists.

F) The Sultansworn palace guard that you see as NPCs standing around are all wearing the Squire's armor. They can mostly be viewed as new recruits, but are still fully Sultansworn.

G) The Sultansworn have the power to enforce the law. Per the Captain's command she declares someone an enemy of the state AND deploys other Sworn to track this person down.

Finally, Captain Phillice is wearing the full Gallant armor (even moreso than Jenlyns). I think it is safe to say the Paladin AF armor is the official uniform of Sworn who have moved beyond being Squires. And the fact that they are called Squires also lends credence that the Gallants are in fact Knights.

I was expecting none of these treasures today when I played these missions. I was expecting the.... usual? But all you cataloged is correct with the scenes. Guess like you said, many of us were right in how we have been playing. Score 1 for common scene and following patterns, score 0 for "lore dogs" who told us to stay in the palace.

Sweet, sweet justification. Worth noting that the call to arms is specifically on account of threats to the Sultanate, though. I'm still leaning that 'Sworn are free to escalate things on behalf of defense of the sultanate and not just general adventurer shenanigans.

"HALT. THAT THIEF STOLETH THE LAST CINNAMON ROLL. I DECLARE HIM ENEMY OF THE STATE, BRING ME HIS HEAD."

I think there definitely needs to be a sultanate threat.

Note that there were the artifacts as well as the deaths involved. And then well... later it was also the WHOLE OF UL'DAH TERRORIST PLOT.

They were threatening the very fabric of Ul'dah's history and way of life. The sultanate's very credibility to rule.

To discuss what the word itself means? I'm confused here.

The latest quests leave me with this 'Illuminati' vibe though. Have to be careful not to fall into that line of thinking. Captain Phillis may be one of the , but that is a separate position from being Sultansworn. She merely used her powers as an officer to further her own goals.

This at least shows us that they are still just people. We can all relax a little more in our own RP plots where the Sworn are involved. Just don't expect Crofte to be any less Paladin-y than before!

To discuss what the word itself means? I'm confused here.

The latest quests leave me with this 'Illuminati' vibe though. Have to be careful not to fall into that line of thinking. Captain Phillis may be one of the , but that is a separate position from being Sultansworn. She merely used her powers as an officer to further her own goals.

This at least shows us that they are still just people. We can all relax a little more in our own RP plots where the Sworn are involved. Just don't expect Crofte to be any less Paladin-y than before!

I think what Kage/myself were getting at is that the immense bill of power involved in those decrees and investigations -- namely, declaring someone enemy of the state, ordering of searches and detainment, etc -- come as a result of the Sultanate being in danger. If this was a 'Sworn watching a cutpurse rob someone in an alleyway, I'm not sure the same sort of action would be involved.

I think of it similarly to the movie scene where the cops have a crime scene locked down, and then the Suits show up and take it over. Sultanate involved, i.e. direct threat to Ul'dah or the Sultana herself? Yeah, 'Sworn lead the way. Not that scope? Call a Blade or a Flame.

Not that scope? Call a Blade or a Flame.

Always a line I've tried to impress on others. But just seeing that the Sworn do have the power means someone could legitimately play 'bad cop' if they wanted. Not that any Paladin *cough* would want to.

Mm. It can be difficult to resist shouting I AM THE LAW when people act dumb in public, though.

When I was doing these cutscenes, I totally thought of you guys and was very happy for your lore confirmations. ^^ Also, that Belah'dian lore was super nice (I hope SE gives more lore heavy quests like that) even though most of it we knew from 1.0.

I'm not going to lie. I was totally ready to /sh in Ul'dah to certain griefers about how no Sultansworn are not out of jobs and that those RPing as Sultansworn have mostly been right about how they RP'd as Sultansworn.

Don't feed the griefers, Kage. Then they'll just come back for more.

I think of it similarly to the movie scene where the cops have a crime scene locked down, and then the Suits show up and take it over. Sultanate involved, i.e. direct threat to Ul'dah or the Sultana herself? Yeah, 'Sworn lead the way. Not that scope? Call a Blade or a Flame.

Disclaimer: I've not finished 2.5 MSQ.

That said, I'd be very, very careful about equating "sultanate" with "Ul'dah". Nearly every reference I've seen makes a point of distinguishing between the two. Futhermore, there have been plenty of situations where there is a clear, direct threat to Ul'dah and the 'sworn aren't leading the way (Operation Archon, Ifrit, etc.). Again, it comes back to the law/military/federal breakdown.

uVrx87i.png

Here be spoilers, sorta. Well, yes, spoilers, but I haven't finished the quest yet either.

Our Sworn friend issues that statement in return for a theft, not an overt attack or anything similar. Granted, we find out later what that theft could in turn allow to happen, but as of the time of that declaration, all of that is a secret and wouldn't likely stand on a record.