The Sultansworn RP Guide

Erik Mynhier

You'll be looking for this stuff in the Hildibrand quest line.

1. It's almost like an attack on the crowns' jewels. The Beladhian artifacts were very special to the credibility of the ruling party etc.? They gave the impression that these artifacts were very special to the sultanate.

2. Zombie powder!! D:!!!!

3. Attacks on an influential society (They specifically recruited a Sultansworn Captain for the influence, their members were -rich-), specifically one of the Manderville line whose father currently sits in the Syndicate. Syndicate are still part of the sultanate iirc

I just want o be cheeky and remind people that the noun sultanate is a word referring to either the rank or power of the sultan, or the land/country/area ruled by sultan.

Ul'dah is essentially the sultanate if you take that cheeky answer.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My impression of the Sultan Sworn, honestly, is that they're like the Royal Guards around Europe.  They wear the fancy uniforms, strut around and drill, and are technically there to protect the monarch, but are really mostly there for show. 

I think the player base really likes them though and has kind of pressed upon them a more prominent role.  Besides, the majority of Ul'dah "officialdom" RPers are Sultansworn, I think, so its nice to take advantage of that even if it may not be strictly canon.

My impression of the Sultan Sworn, honestly, is that they're like the Royal Guards around Europe.  They wear the fancy uniforms, strut around and drill, and are technically there to protect the monarch, but are really mostly there for show.

That would be all well and good except we see them clearly in-game along certain quest lines doing much more than just standing around for show.

And also the Ul'dah starting MSQ line.  You help the Sworn go after a thief who stole the royal crown.  At one point Papashan shows up with an entire company of Sworn to help you fight the Ascian's thugs.

That makes sense!  I know that its clear that they're involved with anything directly effecting the Sultana.  The only quests I've done that mention them, the later MSQ, basically just call them glorified bodyguards (though I took that for being banter given the way it was delivered ^^).

Regardless, it doesn't really matter to me.  I love our Sultan Sworn!

One of the biggest things in the MSQ (way back for some of us or not at all since it's the Ul'dah stuff!) was when we first met Papashan and Nanamo. There was that lost item that gave the Sultana her credibility (crown? the symbol of her power of rule and the Ul line's legacy) which had the Sultansworn conducting their own investigations and raid. The crown was to be returned to the Sultansworn in exchange for something in the royal vaults (THE ZOMBIE POWER "again"). Rauhbahn was the one to task Papashan with a group of 'Sworn to help the poor Sultansworn who donefuckedup.

I just want o be cheeky and remind people that the noun sultanate is a word referring to either the rank or power of the sultan, or the land/country/area ruled by sultan.

Ul'dah is essentially the sultanate if you take that cheeky answer.

"Sultanate" essentially means the sovereignty of the sultan(a). Ul'dah as a city with its peoples can go on without the Line of Ul, should they be overthrown or abdicate.

It's like the distinction between a kingdom and its country. Take medieval England, for instance (more specifically, London). The cities and peoples didn't cease to be when the Normans took over. It was still the same place (albeit name changes b/c to the victor go the spoils yadda yadda yadda), but the sovereignty had changed.

In the vast majority of cases, the distinction won't matter. But sometimes, it will.

So, I was doing the Lv.30 Alchemy quest "Baleful Brews" and stumbled across this interesting tidbit. Further expanding upon the misconception that Sultansworn just stand around in the palace all day.

1CX7IGB.png

Have fun doing deep undercover work. ^^

Yep, you can definitely do whatever you can to halt crime against the sultanate (note theft in palace/ "bloodlest heist in the palace").

Also note that she is not primarily a sword user (not that we did not know this)

Edit: As I said, I was being cheeky. The word does have the meaning that it is the area ruled. That does not mean that the game is using it in that context. I wonder if once Nanamo steps down and they stop the use of the Ul line, if Ul'dah will become a differently named country.

I wonder if once Nanamo steps down and they stop the use of the Ul line, if Ul'dah will become a differently named country.

I'm okay with this...

Godbertia?

Mandervillage?

Julyannia?

City of the Golden LB Hammer?

I wonder if once Nanamo steps down and they stop the use of the Ul line, if Ul'dah will become a differently named country.

I'm okay with this...

Godbertia?

Mandervillage?

Julyannia?

God'Dah

"Oh are you God'Dahn?" "Excuse me?"

I'm okay with this...

Godbertia?

Mandervillage?

Julyannia?

God'Dah

"Oh are you God'Dahn?" "Excuse me?"

You're God'Dahn RIGHT I am. 8-)

I don't think squire needs to necessarily mean 'recruit'. It might just mean 'rank-and-file' in this context, considering the vast majority of Sultansworn seem to be in those tabards.

Also, you guise with these 'FBI' and 'US Secret Service' comparisons! So geocentric! They're knights in service to the sovereign and do things that pertain to royal interests/security. There is not going to be any fixed 'mission statement', as they are totally at the whims of the royal family, correct? So, if you had a tyrannical Sultan who says 'kill 500 villagers', they would go do that. Admittedly, this contravenes the paladin principles or whatever, but I think comparisons to stuff like the FBI and Secret Service are anachronistic and, well, just terrible tbh. They're just the knights of the king, I reckon.

ALSO ALSO, there was a 'Thorne dynasty' that ruled over Ul'dah once, and the name remained Ul'dah. It went First Ul, Thorne, and Second Ul. Thorne dynasty was probably Midlander, as there are numerous Midlander nobility in the city. Midlanders were also probably around in Thanalan since before Ul'dah was founded.

ALSO ALSO, there was a 'Thorne dynasty' that ruled over Ul'dah once, and the name remained Ul'dah. It went First Ul, Thorne, and Second Ul. Thorne dynasty was probably Midlander, as there are numerous Midlander nobility in the city. Midlanders were also probably around in Thanalan since before Ul'dah was founded.

Yes, there was a Thorne royal family which once ruled Ul'dah between 300 and 400 years ago, and they were Hyuran. However, the Thorne line ended with Sultan Baldric Thorne whose only daughter, Edvya, vanished one night and was never found. Having no other heirs, the second Ul Dynasty began upon Baldric's death.

Interestingly, the first Ul Dynasty ended during or shortly after the War of the Sisters. The city was relocated over the ruins of its fallen sister Sil'dih and the reign of Thorne began. We don't know much about the Thorne Dynasty other than they were Hyuran and they're famous for enslaving the Hecatonchires, likely using them to rebuild Ul'dah. During Baldric's rule, the Hecatonchires rebelled but were defeated, buried, and sealed deep beneath the earth.

And yes, Hyur first appeared in Thanalan in the time of Belah'dia 800 years ago, well before the founding of Ul'dah. The Hyur sought to conquer Belah'dia, but were soundly defeated in a short but bloody war.

Albin the Ashen

When the Hyuran tribe came to Thanalan some 800 years ago, Albin the Ashen was at the head of one of the columns. Then-native Belah'dians rose against the invaders and prevailed, as history records. Albin was but one of many slain in the abortive conquest, yet his mortal coil still roams the land in search of vengeance.

Also, you guise with these 'FBI' and 'US Secret Service' comparisons! So geocentric!

The majority of the players reside in the US. We are making a comparison to something we are familiar with. When the majority of players reside in YOUR country, then you will have the right to make a comparison to something YOU are familiar with.

Those of us who have RP'd Paladins in the past and understand the term and archetype know full well how to equate the class and job.

People who never have can benefit from a real world example to base themselves off of.

Whether or not it is a geologically 'encompassing' comparison is irrelevant.

I know it's a sliiiight derail but I have no idea where to put this.

1% crackpot theory: Telediji is part something Hyur from the Thorne line.

What other races were there when the Hyurans got beat bloody?

Sounsyy mentioned that the Sultansworn were formed 600-800 years ago? I -think- that means it was either Beladhian or first Ul reign?

Sounsyy mentioned that the Sultansworn were formed 600-800 years ago? I -think- that means it was either Beladhian or first Ul reign?

Can more accurately pin the founding of the Sultansworn to 600 years ago, in line with the birth of Ul'dah. So Jhal Tristram protected the first Ul Sultan.