How much is Gil worth ICly?

Titor

Hello! I play a wealthy character, however I am not sure how much Gil would be worth IC. Is 10,000 Gil a lot? A little? Is 1 Gil around 1 USD? Or is it it inflated like yen? So 50k might buy you a full dinner.

Any thoughts or ideas or supporting lore for a good grasp of how much it is worth IC?

I've tried to work it out myself but I just ended up using vague amounts since so many different people had so many different ideas about it. "A small pouch of gil" or "A significant amount of gil."

A hefty satchel, a paltry sum, pocket change, etc. That might actually be a pretty decent question for the lore panel!

I've personally always moved the decimal over once or twice when trying to find the "real" price of something.

A 4,000,000 gil home becomes 40,000 which, in my area, is about right.

A 343 gil robe becomes under 40.

And a breakfast sammy ( say a boiled egg and a piece of flatbread 50 and 60gil) comes in at just above a buck. Sounds like a Mickey D's dollar menu item to me!

That's just me personally when I was trying to find prices for my character's business model.

I think it's closer to dollars, but still a bit inflated as well. So you could spend 100 on drink and it wouldn't be conisdered too expensive.

But then at teh same time, Gwen's been paid like 150k for a few weeks of work, and then been charged 10k to repair a common dagger, so who knows I tend to just go along with most costs really.

There was a lot of talk about it here: http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/showthread.php?tid=7427 

Specifically, I took to C'kayah Tia's response and since then in my FC, we have accepted the conversion rate of 5 gil per 1 USD, we use it as a rough guideline for anything from weekly pay and the menu in our bar.

I did some sort of maths and figured that in order to live for a week in just-above-poverty, one would need to make 1000 gil per week (= ~200USD) which seems reasonable to me. It would give people around 47 gil per day for food (if we assume that there are 21 -3*7- meals in a week) which could be accomplished just fine if one was to eat a lot of boiled eggs (5gil at the vendor) along with some bread etc, though if one went to the Bismarck every day they'd probably get to wash dishes forever. 

I think it's very interesting to factor IC economy into your character and roleplay, and I think if more people accept the same standard then it would really become a powerful element in the RP. With Sastra, I've established that she has about 2000-5000 gil per week in reliable income, depending on if she goes hunting or not, and depending on if she makes sales or not. She doesn't pay herself all too highly for her job as the leader of the Kindred (mostly because she can't wrap her head around having a lot of gil after 10 years as a homeless person)

In my mind, I usually guesstimate 10 gil = 1 USD. Most often when you check out vendor prices on goods, I find that by moving the decimal place once to the left makes said item seem reasonably priced by USD standards.

But I also really like Sastra's comment above so...

Chika, in character, is fairly wealthy. She has her own business, and while role players might not often frequent her shop I do claim that NPC's request things (leves, those too *nods*) The gil I have generated through means of selling things on the market, and such, I do not consider in character. There is only so much gil one person can make at a time really, and it depends on what is in demand. I don't want to cripple myself with my laziness xD

I wish I knew. Since Ive played even back in the 2.0 days when I rushed to be server first GSM/Miner on my old server....I have had 10s of million of actual gil. I dont have scale of any kind.

People will RP to Aya in the quicksand handing over 5 gil for a drink and I give her 7,777 gil. Am I doing it wrong?

It feels embarrassingly cheap to give someone 5 gil for anything. I dont know what to do really.

I wish I knew.  Since Ive played even back in the 2.0 days when I rushed to be server first GSM/Miner on my old server....I have had 10s of million of actual gil.  I dont have scale of any kind.

People will RP to Aya in the quicksand handing over 5 gil for a drink and I give her 7,777 gil.  Am I doing it wrong?

It feels embarrassingly cheap to give someone 5 gil for anything.  I dont know what to do really.

But Otto's also super rich ICly. I could see that similar to those people that leave $100 tips for apetizers just because.

There really is no information on gil that I'm aware of.

Is Eorzea on some sort of metal standard? Do they use gold? What IS gil? What is it made of? Where did it come from? Why is it valuable and what is it valued at?

All of this is pretty much a question mark. If I absolutely -have- to specify an amount in game I make an OOC note that I am using an American exchange rate. There is just nothing else on the books that I've seen that I'd be comfortable using. Most RP can be accomplished without getting into that nitty gritty anyway since a lot of people don't actually exchange gil in RP aside from perhaps tips etc.

Vender prices vs. Market Board prices are heavily skewed as well. The amount of gil someone will have in their purse is likely highly more than any normal merchant will ask for so is everyone just super rich? :P

Is Eorzea on some sort of metal standard? Do they use gold? What IS gil? What is it made of? Where did it come from? Why is it valuable and what is it valued at?

All of this is pretty much a question mark. If I absolutely -have- to specify an amount in game I make an OOC note that I am using an American exchange rate. There is just nothing else on the books that I've seen that I'd be comfortable using. Most RP can be accomplished without getting into that nitty gritty anyway since a lot of people don't actually exchange gil in RP aside from perhaps tips etc.

Vender prices vs. Market Board prices are heavily skewed as well. The amount of gil someone will have in their purse is likely highly more than any normal merchant will ask for so is everyone just super rich? :P

I've always imaged gil is some type of coin currency, but we've never really seen what it looks like.

WE do know there are all sorts of old Allagan coins of various metals though!

I've always imaged gil is some type of coin currency, but we've never really seen what it looks like.

WE do know there are all sorts of old Allagan coins of various metals though!

There's a picture of a gil next to your gil count! Also, there's a few quests that involve dropped gil and they look like coins as well.

Well, one thing could be as well that the prices that you see in the merchants and the like are kept at a considerably low rate since many people aren't adventurers or in positions to make as much money as adventurers can. I use 'adventurer' in a very broad sense since many people I see in the game are in professions you normally don't see the general NPC population being: Black market dealers, shop/business owners, established craftsmen, etc.

Most of us OOCly make our gil from DR, selling loot and crafts, FATEs, etc. Though I see a lot of people using the neutral medium more often then not since they don't like diving into it too deep. I'm always purposefully vague with Lili because of it xD Though if I were to think on it she's likely much more wealthy now then she was before due to the Society growing more lucrative.

/flies in wearing a cape made out of gil-pieces, with gil earrings, and large gil-coin sunglasses.

I COME BEARING LORE! =D

The currency now commonly referred to as “gil” was officially adopted by the city-states of Eorzea roughly one-hundred years ago, as a means to strengthen trade relations in the wake of the Autumn War.

Prior to this, each city-state minted and regulated its own currency, which led to unpredictable exchange rates and prompted many traders to use ancient Allagan pieces in lieu of other coinage. Recognizing the wisdom of the practice (and desiring greater control over the money supply), the leaders of Eorzea announced the creation of new gil, and further decreed that its value would be standardized across all nations. Moreover, to help encourage adoption, it was designed in the image of its precursors.

Initially, as an expression of solidarity, these coins were to be engraved with images of the Twelve, rather than those of individuals beloved of a single nation. As time passed and the gil rose to prominence, however, the policy was relaxed, and the coin came to bear an ever increasing variety of motifs. Those minted to commemorate the reformation of the Eorzean Alliance are a notable example from recent years.

But to finally answer the question which prompted this discussion: the face on the gil coin icon in the UI is that of Nymeia, the Spinner. For simplicity’s sake, we’ve elected to represent all gil with this graphic.

-Source

So gil coins are engraved with the faces of the Twelve as well as the leaders of the Eorzean city-states for the past 100 years. 5 years ago, new gil was put into circulation bearing the profiles of the three Grand Company leaders for promotional purposes.

As for what metal gil is made out of, I defer to this:

Copperfish

The copperfish's dull orange scales - a hue rare in freshwater wavekin - make this species popular amongst Ul'dahn nobles, who apparently prefer even their fish the color of their coin. Not native to Eorzea, it is believed the first copperfish were brought to the realm by Far East traders.

So... copper?

Also, in regards to the fact that we can still turn in Allagan pieces found in dungeons for gil exchange, I imagine there are still places in the world (possibly black market) which would accept Allagan minted pieces as acceptable exchange.

Also, each Beast Tribe has their own form of currency. So if your character does trade with the Beast Tribes, you might also have a stash of their currencies.

Allagan Piece

Currency minted in the Third Astral Era by the Allagan Empire.

Ixali Knot

A carved piece of wood used as currency by the Ixal.

Sylphic Leaf

A decaying leaf used as currency by the Sylphs.

Titan Piece

A crude piece of flattened metal used as currency by the kobolds of O'Ghomoro.

Psashp

A colored shell used as currency by the Sahagin.

Amalj'ok

A small, curved blade used as currency by the Amalj'aa.

Ququroon Doom-die

A tiny die used as currency by the Qiqirn.

Gagaroon Luck-die

Peperoon Fate-die

Gobcog

A tiny, multi-toothed cog widely used by goblins as currency.

EDIT: Oh! Also I found this:

Ignus Snail

The fiery red shells of this freshwater snail, also known as "Ifrit's claws," are prized by the Amalj'aa, and are useful when bartering with the beast tribe.

/flies in wearing a cape made out of gil-pieces, with gil earrings, and large gil-coin sunglasses.

I COME BEARING LORE! =D

The currency now commonly referred to as “gil” was officially adopted by the city-states of Eorzea roughly one-hundred years ago, as a means to strengthen trade relations in the wake of the Autumn War.

Prior to this, each city-state minted and regulated its own currency, which led to unpredictable exchange rates and prompted many traders to use ancient Allagan pieces in lieu of other coinage. Recognizing the wisdom of the practice (and desiring greater control over the money supply), the leaders of Eorzea announced the creation of new gil, and further decreed that its value would be standardized across all nations. Moreover, to help encourage adoption, it was designed in the image of its precursors.

Initially, as an expression of solidarity, these coins were to be engraved with images of the Twelve, rather than those of individuals beloved of a single nation. As time passed and the gil rose to prominence, however, the policy was relaxed, and the coin came to bear an ever increasing variety of motifs. Those minted to commemorate the reformation of the Eorzean Alliance are a notable example from recent years.

But to finally answer the question which prompted this discussion: the face on the gil coin icon in the UI is that of Nymeia, the Spinner. For simplicity’s sake, we’ve elected to represent all gil with this graphic.

-Source

So gil coins are engraved with the faces of the Twelve as well as the leaders of the Eorzean city-states for the past 100 years. 5 years ago, new gil was put into circulation bearing the profiles of the three Grand Company leaders for promotional purposes.

As for what metal gil is made out of, I defer to this:

Copperfish

The copperfish's dull orange scales - a hue rare in freshwater wavekin - make this species popular amongst Ul'dahn nobles, who apparently prefer even their fish the color of their coin. Not native to Eorzea, it is believed the first copperfish were brought to the realm by Far East traders.

So... copper?

Also, in regards to the fact that we can still turn in Allagan pieces found in dungeons for gil exchange, I imagine there are still places in the world (possibly black market) which would accept Allagan minted pieces as acceptable exchange.

Also, each Beast Tribe has their own form of currency. So if your character does trade with the Beast Tribes, you might also have a stash of their currencies.

Allagan Piece

Currency minted in the Third Astral Era by the Allagan Empire.

Ixali Knot

A carved piece of wood used as currency by the Ixal.

Sylphic Leaf

A decaying leaf used as currency by the Sylphs.

Titan Piece

A crude piece of flattened metal used as currency by the kobolds of O'Ghomoro.

Psashp

A colored shell used as currency by the Sahagin.

Amalj'ok

A small, curved blade used as currency by the Amalj'aa.

Ququroon Doom-die

Gagaroon Luck-die

Peperoon Fate-die

Gobcog

A tiny, multi-toothed cog widely used by goblins as currency.

picard_clapping.gif