Need help with characters?

SM Nick

As mentioned before through PM in game, there are many things that needed to be addressed - and be sure to look at the Timeline link I gave you - bookmark the link. 

Also too extreme abilities can be looked down upon, but dont hesitate to ask me through PM if you are lost and you want to improve your characters.

As a general rule, I'd be wary of using FF-famous names for weapons and things. It's entirely likely (at the very least) that we're going to end up with an Aegis in the game and that can cause problems down the road, especially if it winds up being Storyline important.

To compare, imagine if someone was claiming to be using Zantetsuken. That causes issues because no, no you are not. That's Odin's weapon and you are not Odin.

Named weapons and items are fine, but Legacy Names are generally frowned upon.

Seems much better, just that some plot basis need to be adjusted and also his "abilities" need to be sightly adjusted - but you are getting there.

As for Curtana replica, I'll just say you are okay with it because there are many IC players who use Curtana/Holy Shield as a design and walk around. 

Most likely is that there had been adventurers who actually requested smiths to make replica designs to look like Curtana/Thyrus/Gae Bolg/etc.

My personal reasoning for the Curtana overflow is simply that, since the weapon is basically an artifact of wide repute, smiths began forging weapons in a similar manner. It's the only sword in the game of that size and width, and there's plenty of reason for those to be desirable qualities in a sword. I try to think of them less as knock-offs and more of homage type weapons.

My personal reasoning for the Curtana overflow is simply that, since the weapon is basically an artifact of wide repute, smiths began forging weapons in a similar manner. It's the only sword in the game of that size and width, and there's plenty of reason for those to be desirable qualities in a sword. I try to think of them less as knock-offs and more of homage type weapons.

I really don't understand the hangup over this, in general.  There are so few weapon models in this game, and that just happens to be one of the most popular.  Although it is "Curtana" I don't really think that even has to be referenced in dealing with the player version.  Its just a neat looking sword and shield that smiths make.  Why bother calling it a replica?

Maybe I'm just not getting something.. but I guess I think we need a little more suspension of disbelief here, or we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.

I really don't understand the hangup over this, in general.  There are so few weapon models in this game, and that just happens to be one of the most popular.  Although it is "Curtana" I don't really think that even has to be referenced in dealing with the player version.  Its just a neat looking sword and shield that smiths make.  Why bother calling it a replica?

Maybe I'm just not getting something.. but I guess I think we need a little more suspension of disbelief here, or we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.

I'm actually of similar mind with you on this, but you know how Some Roleplayers like to flip their lids at any and every possible transgression against the lore. None of us are ACTUALLY going to be wielding Curtana or anything, but the Holy Shield's an after thought, and like you said it's a cool looking weapon of unique design. The only thing close to that model of broadsword is a Giantsgall weapon and that's got a love-it-or-hate-it burst-snowflake hilt thing.

Plus Curtana matches my armor!

...we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.

If Otto has his way, we'll all just be wearing striped pants before long.

one point regarding your statements that your training enables you to move as quickly as an unarmoured opponent. From a historical point of view, a well made, and fitted suit of plate did not actually restrict movement. people were able to touch their toes and sprint in it, therefore it is not something that /really/ needs to be mentioned.

It's a replica because there is lore behind /that/ particular model, as with Zanetsuken.

It's a replica because there is lore behind /that/ particular model, as with Zanetsuken.

My entire point is that if you take the model literally, and thus have to hand wave it away lore-wise, then we are unable to suspend disbelief on the nature of items in the game itself.  If we take that model literally, then there are only a handful of clothing designs in the entire world. 

Models are representative, not definitive. Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^

...we're going to have to start coming up with a good explanation why there are only a couple dozen different sets of clothes in the world.

If Otto has his way, we'll all just be wearing striped pants before long.

It will be an Ottocracy.

My entire point is that if you take the model literally, and thus have to hand wave it away lore-wise, then we are unable to suspend disbelief on the nature of items in the game itself.  If we take that model literally, then there are only a handful of clothing designs in the entire world. 

Models are representative, not definitive.  Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^

I've personally seen at least one person who claimed they had THE . Not something that looked similar, not a homage or a knock off, not a replica....THE ORIGINAL. That's when I personally handwave it as "lol someone was fooled by a really good reproduction!" Otherwise I don't really bring specifics of weapon names and the like into RP.

Models are representative, not definitive.  Well ~ I think they should be, anyway! ^_^

In Real Life there were very few different styles of armour, and most weapons shared the same look, so in fact it makes sense for there to be very few clothing designs, well weapon and armour. As for clothing, beyond the materials that it was made out of, most clothing also shared the same basic patterns, so again, it makes sense.

"His training has made him nimble and allows him to move more quickly no matter how heavily armored he may be, allowing him to fight on par with lightly or unarmored opponents."

I would say, at least where RP combat is concerned, that you simply have Niklas in light armor, himself. Having a heavily armored opponent that can move as quickly/unhindered as people with no armor is a bit OP and breaks the much-needed balance between speedy, lithe fighters and slow, bulky fighters. There needs to be some sort of balancing point as to the armor he wears VS his speed.

This is why Val wears little to no armor, most times. He's a speed fighter and not built to wear anything heavier than leathers or VERY light mail, and even then he prefers to only cover necessary spots such as his chest/forearms/whatever. It helps keep his ease of movement and gives him at least some basic protection against weapons should he manage to be caught by one.

In Real Life there were very few different styles of armour, and most weapons shared the same look, so in fact it makes sense for there to be very few clothing designs, well weapon and armour. As for clothing, beyond the materials that it was made out of, most clothing also shared the same basic patterns, so again, it makes sense.

*blinks*  What?

*blinks*  What?

In other words, cosplay.

Unless you are looking at a Worldwide scale, most armour at any given period was very similar, there is a reason that Milanese, and Gothic styles of armour are so well known, it is because for those periods of time, they were the most common in the european combat arenas.

Most swords again, were of a similar design, until you start looking at the materials it was made out of, or the method of construction, maybe a slight change on a crossguard, or design on a pommel. Though again, when you look on a more worldwide scale there will be more available.

However, given we are currently looking at a single continent, then it makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...