Mako Energy & The Lifestream.

Aaron

This has been bugging me, you've got several similarities between FF VII and FF XIV such as materia, Costa del Sol, I even heard Midgar mentioned somewhere from a friend so I have a question. 

Does Mako Energy and the Lifestream exists in XIV? Or is it just "Aether"? Are they one in the same or is aether totally different? I understand they changed how materia is made (in XIV it doesn't require Mako reactors) but im still curious. Im only concerned about this part. I don't need or care about Jenova and all that lol just wondering about how aether and the Lifestream are separated or not.

This has been bugging me, you've got several similarities between FF VII and FF XIV such as materia, Costa del Sol, I even heard Midgar mentioned somewhere from a friend so I have a question. 

Does Mako Energy and the Lifestream exists in XIV? Or is it just "Aether"? Are they one in the same or is aether totally different? I understand they changed how materia is made (in XIV it doesn't require Mako reactors) but im still curious. Im only concerned about this part. I don't need or care about Jenova and all that lol just wondering about how aether and the Lifestream are separated or not.

I think their use of aether is used similar to the lifestream. From the game, we know materia is a type of crystalized aetherical something from one's spiritbound gear. We know that living things are composed of aether, and return to it upon death. 

Since XIV takes bits and pieces from the other numbered games, it would be reasonable to say aether is used in similar ways to the lifestream.

XIV uses names from other Final Fantasy's, yes, but they're rarely if ever the same thing as what they are in the original game.

Gold Saucer is coming to the game shortly as well.

As for Lifestream = Aether? Yeah, I believe that's a good way of putting it. I know the way they describe death is very similar; you die, your aether returns to the 'Stream' or 'Hydaelyn' and then that energy is recycled into a new life.

Bluegartr said that there has been multiple hints that FFXIV devs and Yoshi-P were interested in bringing more cameo from pre-FF14 series to give references and extra items like Lightning Returns. 

But as of right now, I'd say that Hydaelyn's blessing would be more similar to Lifestream (Aerith's blessing/Great Gospel) and it can only be attained by Warrior of Lights. As for further details towards Lifestream and Mako Energy, there is none right now - but I am sure Cereleum is looked similar to Mako Energy. Garleans showed great interest in using cereleums and also they seem to use magiteks running with cereleum (I could be wrong but I am pretty sure airships are used by cereleum reactors)

Bluegartr said that there has been multiple hints that FFXIV devs and Yoshi-P were interested in bringing more cameo from pre-FF14 series to give references and extra items like Lightning Returns. 

I was wondering why there was no reference to Square's favorite milk-sop, Sephiroth. I guess they're saving him for when he descends from on high to single-handedly wipe out all the bad guys and lead us all to a glorious second-life of leather jackets and well-maintained hair.

The reason im asking is so I don't fuck up in RP lol.

When I first got the game Aaron was supposed to be suffering from aether poisoning to the extreme sometime between leaving his home and the 5 years before XIV starts. This would have given him visions of the dead and increased aether levels to the point he could use the aether in his sword fighting. But I soon dropped the idea because it sounded op and I was new to rp.

Now that I think I can control how I use it in rp im wondering if it'd conflict with lore or something. 

All the replies are appreciated!

I was wondering why there was no reference to Square's favorite milk-sop, Sephiroth. I guess they're saving him for when he descends from on high to single-handedly wipe out all the bad guys and lead us all to a glorious second-life of leather jackets and well-maintained hair.

Or he took over the Garlean Empire and won the battle of succession. :V

[Edit: Damnit forums, stop changing my links into youtube videos. >:C If I wanted to embed the video, I would use the youtube command.]

Or he took over the Garlean Empire and won the battle of succession.

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if they're crossover into VII (which is inevitable) didn't involve Dalamud being reconjured somehow.or the OTHER moon being dragged down out of the sky by Sephiroth.

Does Mako Energy and the Lifestream exists in XIV? Or is it just "Aether"? Are they one in the same or is aether totally different?

The Lifestream is canon to both FFVII and FFXIV. The Lifestream in XIV, like VII, is the lifeblood of the planet. It flows in specific currents beneath the surface of the world and feeds all life. I talked a little more recently about aether in this thread on Teleporting.

But you are right, XIV draws very heavily from VII throughout. To the point where a fair argument could be made that Mako and Aether are one in the same. It's been a long time since I've played VII though, so I won't try to make any specific distinctions between the two right now. Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't Mako refined lifestream juice? Like the big Mako refineries in Midgar? If that's the case, Mako would be equivalent to XIV's ceruleum, which is refined aether.

Suffice it to say that Aether is the lifeblood of the planet Hydaelyn and all living things. When we die, our Aether returns to the Lifestream and is carried back to Silvertear Lake in Mor Dhona (think Iifa Tree in IX) where it passes to the Aetherial Plane, before returning to the Physical Plane as new Life.

In 1.0, the natural cycle of the Lifestream was interrupted by the falling of Dalamud, where, the very lifestream ebbed away from it's natural course and fed Dalamud instead. Which is why the planet was dying and couldn't support the summoning of the Twelve at the Battle of Carteneau. To expend what little aether remained in the planet would have killed Hydaelyn.

As far as Midgar in XIV, maybe you're thinking of Midgardsormr? Though, related to what we're talking about, Midgardsormr was the Keeper of Silvertear Lake and guardian of the fount of all aether in Hydaelyn.

EDIT: Also, Nael van Darnus = Sephiroth. Final Fantasy's favorite villain has already been Fourteen-afied. Meteor project, bringing down the moon, walking through some really hot fire and laughing about it... yep, all Nael van Sephiroth's doing.

Does Mako Energy and the Lifestream exists in XIV? Or is it just "Aether"? Are they one in the same or is aether totally different?

The Lifestream is canon to both FFVII and FFXIV. The Lifestream in XIV, like VII, is the lifeblood of the planet. It flows in specific currents beneath the surface of the world and feeds all life. I talked a little more recently about aether in this thread on Teleporting.

But you are right, XIV draws very heavily from VII throughout. To the point where a fair argument could be made that Mako and Aether are one in the same. It's been a long time since I've played VII though, so I won't try to make any specific distinctions between the two right now. Actually, now that I think about it, wasn't Mako refined lifestream juice? Like the big Mako refineries in Midgar? If that's the case, Mako would be equivalent to XIV's ceruleum, which is refined aether.

Suffice it to say that Aether is the lifeblood of the planet Hydaelyn and all living things. When we die, our Aether returns to the Lifestream and is carried back to Silvertear Lake in Mor Dhona (think Iifa Tree in IX) where it passes to the Aetherial Plane, before returning to the Physical Plane as new Life.

In 1.0, the natural cycle of the Lifestream was interrupted by the falling of Dalamud, where, the very lifestream ebbed away from it's natural course and fed Dalamud instead. Which is why the planet was dying and couldn't support the summoning of the Twelve at the Battle of Carteneau. To expend what little aether remained in the planet would have killed Hydaelyn.

As far as Midgar in XIV, maybe you're thinking of Midgardsormr? Though, related to what we're talking about, Midgardsormr was the Keeper of Silvertear Lake and guardian of the fount of all aether in Hydaelyn.

EDIT: Also, Nael van Darnus = Sephiroth. Final Fantasy's favorite villain has already been Fourteen-afied. Meteor project, bringing down the moon, walking through some really hot fire and laughing about it... yep, all Nael van Sephiroth's doing.

Wow thanks a lot! Looks like Aaron can have aether/cereleum poisoning just as I first planned!

Time to develop >:3

One thing I would like to point out is that so far the two biggest pulls have been from Final Fantasy III and VII, an odd combination since III is one of the more obscure (didn't get an American release until within the past ten years or so) whereas Final Fantasy VII--well, what's left to be said about how 'popular' it is? It's why I am still prepared for Square to announce that Eorzea is 'Earth Prime' for the Final Fantasy universe.