Dragon Age: Inquisition

Kage

I don't often use the word hate and mean it, as the emotion and meaning is strong, but Sera really drives me up a wall. What this chick does and how she justifies her actions may as well be frontier justice. Fucking ideologue that takes no responsibility for her actions or for the consequences that come about from her actions; nope it's all "tits up, dems da dice, and fuck rich people." Seriously, this woman is a classic case of neutralizing and totting terms like "Social justice" as a motto for: justice is whatever hot button issue I want to twist into an extreme and make seem totally legit. God, she is so fucking cavalier about death and whose life she "helps."

Sera was certainly written well for sure if a virtual character can actually piss me off.

On a lighter note: Dorian's moment with his father brought me to man tears.

The team of DAI really out did themselves with at least the character plot turns, at least for some.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SEMI SPOILER

WARNING

CLOSE

YOUR

EYES

ABORT

NOW

========================================================================================================================================================================================================================================================

If you romance Solas as a female elf you are in for a heart wrenching moment. I will not say whether it is a good or bad heart wrenching moment, but if you have the "feels" you will undoubtedly have some strong "feels."

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be very surprised if there are any characters I'll like enough to romance when I get around to playing the game but judging by the little I have heard of Cassandra I don't think she will be one I will be interested in either, haha.

Quoting this because the irony of this post is SO HUGE at this point *endlessly amused*.

Anyway, I got Inquisition as a Christmas present (which in Spain means January 6th), so I've spent the last two weeks playing it non stop. I'm a fan of Dragon Age games, the world needs more like them ;_;

I was hoping that Cole could be romanced, but oh well. I still keep him in my party, he deserves all the love.

I've been having a huge amount of fun with DA:I so far. Orlais is exactly how I imagined it to be and I absolutely adore it. Intrigue is something I'm very fond of and the mission in the Winter Palace is the highlight of the game for me.

I like Vivienne, Cullen, Josephine and Cassandra the most when it comes to the main characters. Special mentions go out to Celene, Gaspard and Florianne.

Sunk 150 hours in to DA:I over the Christmas holidays in a completionist playthrough. Loved it so much. I thought Morrigan and Leliana were done so, so well.

I really didn't like the Dalish in DA:O and DA2 but loved how their lore was turned on its head in DA:I and really enjoyed playing a Dalish Inquisitor. So fitting. 

Sera and Vivienne are amazing, too. So divisive and so brilliant. The rooftop cookie scene... Oh man.

So disappointed that you can't idly talk to your partymates while in camp or just idly running around like you could in Dragon Age: Origins :c But I suppose I'll live. Just came across that big-ass yellow dragon, nearly cried when it set me on fire. Ran away like a sissy, came back, got set on fire again, followed by another tactical retreat, then came back to poke the dragon until it ate me in about two bitefuls. Owwie.

Cullen is a dreamboat *dead*.  Lol with that out of the way, I love Inquisition.  Oddly enough, Inquisition is the reason I started playing FFXIV. I'm a bit of a completion whore and after 110+ hours into the game, I'm still not done with the storyline lol.  I just needed a break before I tackled full completion of a new map (I just started the emerald graves before throwing my hands up).

Phew!

My SO and I started playing this game about a week and a half ago. Slow going, because we don't have a lot of free time that isn't spent roleplaying, and DA:I on the PC does NOT like it when you alt-tab...

I just wanted to venture, though... are we the only couple in the world absolutely infuriated that the campaign doesn't have a co-op mode? It would seem like the structure of it would fit PERFECTLY into co-op; it even already has a party system in place. We would have purchased this game long ago if it did, and it's a source of never ending sadness whenever we do start it up that we can't really play it together. We're just stuck with sitting next to each other and watching while the other controls everything. :/ If I could run around in Thedas with my husband's character, I would be the happiest person in the world.

My SO and I started playing this game about a week and a half ago. Slow going, because we don't have a lot of free time that isn't spent roleplaying, and DA:I on the PC does NOT like it when you alt-tab...

I just wanted to venture, though... are we the only couple in the world absolutely infuriated that the campaign doesn't have a co-op mode? It would seem like the structure of it would fit PERFECTLY into co-op; it even already has a party system in place. We would have purchased this game long ago if it did, and it's a source of never ending sadness whenever we do start it up that we can't really play it together. We're just stuck with sitting next to each other and watching while the other controls everything. :/ If I could run around in Thedas with my husband's character, I would be the happiest person in the world.

For a heavily story based game like Dragon Age, I doubt Bioware could incorporate co-op into their single-player campaigns without ruining what made them so great in the past: YOU are the savior of the world/galaxy and YOUR choices matter (sadly, this isn't really the case with modern Bioware). If you had someone playing as Joe Schmo random soldier guy, you'd either have to give him dialogue options that take away your agency as a player, or just make him an invisible character. In the latter case, what would the point of having him around be? I kind of have that old school "single player experiences should stay single player experiences" because I honestly can't see what co-op adds to these games other than further assimilation into Co-Op Killing Game #345987

Oh right, Dragon Age: Inquisition. I borrowed it from a friend because I wasn't sure if I'd like it or not. It wasn't my thing, honestly. I disliked the writing, (the sex scene dialogue for Cassandra is just... ugh, so cringeworthy, and the others aren't much better) didn't care for the companions, (ESPECIALLY when it came to Sera, her whole "lol fuck mages" attitude just made me think she was an idiot who only cared about one group of oppressed people at the expense of another. That and she might as well look like a goblin) and the combat system that decided, for some odd reason, to ape the Estus mechanic from Dark Souls to make exploration unnecessarily time consuming. ("It's a 50 hour long game though!")

And I just noticed how long this post is, so I really should stop. I shouldn't be ranting, since I didn't even buy the game. Guess I'm more annoyed that DA:I is another example of everything I hate about the AAA industry. It's not even a terrible game, it's just... there's no soul or sense of originality to it at all. Just an open world with fetch quests to appeal to the Skyrim audience, significantly worse sex scenes to appeal to the Witcher audience (?) and an uber grimdark setting to appeal to the Game of Thrones audience.

For a heavily story based game like Dragon Age, I doubt Bioware could incorporate co-op into their single-player campaigns without ruining what made them so great in the past: YOU are the savior of the world/galaxy and YOUR choices matter (sadly, this isn't really the case with modern Bioware). If you had someone playing as Joe Schmo random soldier guy, you'd either have to give him dialogue options that take away your agency as a player, or just make him an invisible character. In the latter case, what would the point of having him around be? I kind of have that old school "single player experiences should stay single player experiences" because I honestly can't see what co-op adds to these games other than further assimilation into Co-Op Killing Game #345987

You see no appeal in being able to play with your significant other/friend? I want to enjoy the story with my husband. We want to run around in the world together.

I personally think it would be really fun if co-op campaign let multiple characters contribute to conversations. It would lead to some really interesting results, with one player's character maybe trying to convince an NPC of one thing and another player's character either agreeing and encouraging, or perhaps trying to pull in another direction. They could compete for love interests. They could work together. It sounds to me like a really fantastic game experience.

It would be a complex task but well worth it.

As it is, I can't go five minutes playing this game - even with my husband sitting right next to me and watching - without thinking, "This would be so much better if we could just play it together. Look at this empty building, at these benches, at all these world touches that are nothing more than set pieces that serve so little purpose but with another person could be the source of such fun!"

So screw the idea that co-op somehow ruins your game. It's not like you'd be forced to play co-op and I don't think it would mess with the story at all. I'm not asking for the ridiculously idiotic style of competitive dungeon crawling that Bioware implemented. I want co-op campaign.

Just look at Diablo III. You can play the story solo, or you can play it co-op. It doesn't hurt the narrative at all.

Hm... I imagine it would work something like SWTOR party dialogue... Which... personally, my SO and I really disliked. It was irritating always feeling like you were randomly talking over your ally. It just ended up being less character development and dialogue for each of us.

-stuff-

--more stuff--

I am definitely with Kilborne on this.  The game is meant to be played by one person.  The storyling is meant to only support ONE "hero".  I think trying to force a co-op option would damage the integrity of what the original story was meant to be.

DA:I does, however, offer a multiplayer option that is separate from the single player campaign.  I also hear it's quite fun.

Also >.> you can't compare Diablo to Dragon Age.. At all.. They're not even the same genre of game xD.  Co op doesn't hurt Diablo's narrative because the story is extremely light in those games.  Dragon Age games, however, have a story entirely built around a singular hero person.  The ONE savior of "X" calamity.

I agree that your ideal game experience would be "awesome" but it simply isn't this game.  If you want that sort of experience, SWTOR is honestly your best bet since others can pick dialogue too.

OR, the closest thing to what you want to do could be achieved via Baldur's Gate: EE or the Neverwinter Nights series.  In these games you can host the campaign, locally or online, and you each can make characters and essentially experience the campaign in the same world at the same time, doing the same quests with the same NPCs yadda yadda dooda dada.

TL;DR if that is the experience you want, Dragon Age won't provide it.  Just move on to a different game that migh lol.:thumbsup:

I would love a co-op option same as how I would love to see it in games like Skyrim and Fallout but I'm afraid that I must agree that it doesn't seem realistically feasible without at least one character getting seriously shunted on the impact of whatever they can actually choose to say. It would become incredibly complicated if they tried to replicate the same freedoms(or close) for both characters.

Having said that, I would happily put up with this just so that I could play alongside my friend and explore the worlds/stories/characters together, but for a game like Dragon Age.... the first play through would only be spoiled significantly if I had so little influence and you only ever get one, first play through. It's trading one blessing for another, really ;

So disappointed that you can't idly talk to your partymates while in camp or just idly running around like you could in Dragon Age: Origins :c But I suppose I'll live. Just came across that big-ass yellow dragon, nearly cried when it set me on fire. Ran away like a sissy, came back, got set on fire again, followed by another tactical retreat, then came back to poke the dragon until it ate me in about two bitefuls. Owwie.

So much this. I loved talking to the party in camp and giving them gifts which sometimes lead to special cut scenes in DA:O. I like DA:I and have really enjoyed watching the evolution of Cullen but Alistair will always have my heart.

I have enjoyed the multiplayer aspect though I got bored after unlocking the classes I was interested in.

I agree that your ideal game experience would be "awesome" but it simply isn't this game.  If you want that sort of experience, SWTOR is honestly your best bet since others can pick dialogue too.

OR, the closest thing to what you want to do could be achieved via Baldur's Gate: EE or the Neverwinter Nights series.  In these games you can host the campaign, locally or online, and you each can make characters and essentially experience the campaign in the same world at the same time, doing the same quests with the same NPCs yadda yadda dooda dada.

TL;DR if that is the experience you want, Dragon Age won't provide it.  Just move on to a different game that migh lol.:thumbsup:

Ew, I won't touch SWTOR with a ten foot pole. A F2P MMO experience is not what I'm looking for at all. Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter are also not what I want.

The "multiplayer option" in DA:I that you mention is tacked on and horrid and offers nothing of the RPG experience of the actual game. You don't even get to use your own character. It is so far from the heart of the game, it's almost insulting you'd suggest that as a legitimate option for someone wanting the story in co-op mode.

I disagree completely that DA would crumble if its story involved more than one character. I mean look - you already run around with other characters. It is NOT that hard to make one of those another player. The whole argument against it stinks. Move on to a different game? Sorry, but having a co-op campaign isn't going to sully your precious single-player experience. You don't want to do it? Then you choose not to do it.

I would love a co-op option same as how I would love to see it in games like Skyrim and Fallout but I'm afraid that I must agree that it doesn't seem realistically feasible without at least one character getting seriously shunted on the impact of whatever they can actually choose to say. It would become incredibly complicated if they tried to replicate the same freedoms(or close) for both characters.

They don't have to replicate the same freedom. There is absolutely nothing wrong with having a particular character take the main helm.

So much this. I loved talking to the party in camp and giving them gifts which sometimes lead to special cut scenes in DA:O. I like DA:I and have really enjoyed watching the evolution of Cullen but Alistair will always have my heart.

I have enjoyed the multiplayer aspect though I got bored after unlocking the classes I was interested in.

Yesss! Alistair was always my favourite as well ahha no character since really compares, in my mind. I've yet to fiddle around with multi-player, but now that I'm reminded I can, I totally will! :D