Make Your Character A Magic Card

Dogberry

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I doing it right?

Just some constructive criticism: The take control of target permanent ability needs a nonland clause, or it will be able to snatch lands for 0 mana, as their converted mana cost is 0.  

Second, her first ability would be phrased more along the lines of "Add this mana to your mana pool," and not need the phrase "instead of the lands owners." Furthermore, if she doesnt untap during every untap step, and all her abilities are tap abilities, then the "Anyone can use these abilities" clause is also pointless, barring the rare effects of enchantments that supply such an ability.

Am I doing it right?

Just some constructive criticism: The take control of target permanent ability needs a nonland clause, or it will be able to snatch lands for 0 mana, as their converted mana cost is 0.  

Second, her first ability would be phrased more along the lines of "Add this mana to your mana pool," and not need the phrase "instead of the lands owners." Furthermore, if she doesn't untap during every untap step, and all her abilities are tap abilities, then the "Anyone can use these abilities" clause is also pointless, barring the rare effects of enchantments that supply such an ability.

TURBONERD ALERT (<3)

I've made a couple more since my last post that I totally forgot that I didn't post here. I also updated the Kodaro art and I think it looks really rad

ChIGTOy.png

jB75sUT.png

hrSd24C.png

tbh I think the Lynn'wo card is kinda weak but I'm not sure what else to do with the character :[ The Geisshund card on the other hand I think is really flavorful and great (and also his outfit is red and black and white but I didn't even realize it until I put the card together, I was just looking for a shirt that didn't clip around the neck in that pose) aaaand

I actually have more cards designed but I need to pester their players for good screenshots so I can finish them up T_T This is too much fun

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

1448419545693066.png

Woah, now, we're approaching Skull Clamp design here

Skullclamp.jpg

This card was literally banned before it was shipped. It's legal in Commander and Legacy and that's about it I think. Bronco Grease isn't really broken because you need to keep producing new creatures to die to tap their things. Also that X in the mana cost isn't really doing anything... I like the idea though. It has the potential to make silly combos.

I haven't designed any new cards in a while but I did recently redo the art for the Leviathan-Egi token.

PzBTzbt.png

wtb Leviathan-egi square enix, come on, please. at least a minion.

Skullclamp.jpg

This card was literally banned before it was shipped. It's legal in Commander and Legacy and that's about it I think.

And it's darn near required in any token deck in Commander. So much delicious card advantage.

The story behind skullclamp is actually pretty funny. It was originally designed to be +1/+1 but at the last minute development thought it'd be cheeky and cute to make it +1/-1 instead, without realizing how hilariously broken it was in the current format. In every format. By the time they figured it out everything was already printed and they made an emergency ban on it before people could abuse it.

edit: source

1448419545693066.png

Skullclamp.jpg

This card was literally banned before it was shipped. It's legal in Commander and Legacy and that's about it I think. Bronco Grease isn't really broken because you need to keep producing new creatures to die to tap their things. Also that X in the mana cost isn't really doing anything... I like the idea though. It has the potential to make silly combos.

I haven't designed any new cards in a while but I did recently redo the art for the Leviathan-Egi token.

PzBTzbt.png

wtb Leviathan-egi square enix, come on, please. at least a minion.

It was originally going to be "Where X is the number of creatures in play" but I forgot to add it in.

• 4 weeks later...

I decided I want to go back and revisit some of the cards I've designed to make them more viable. Yes, some mythic rares aren't playable, and not all legendary creatures are worthy of making a commander, but that doesn't mean the cards I make have to be the weakest thing.

I started with Shoshopu and Fyrilsunn. Shopu's been redesigned as a Planeswalker so she can really generate that value, and Fyrilsunn's been beefed up into something I think could be a viable and fun Commander.

350x488http://i.imgur.com/3bEd9pB.png[/img] 350x488http://i.imgur.com/3Z3w38X.png[/img]

350x488http://i.imgur.com/wXEOnb7.png[/img] 350x488http://i.imgur.com/zJ8D8No.png[/img]

As it turns out, "Unblockable" isn't even a keyword. Maybe it wasn't ever, when I went back and reread Invisible Stalker (one of my old favorites) I noticed it read "Invisible Stalker is unblockable", not just "Unblockable" under "Hexproof". And the Oracle text is apparently been errata'd to "Invisible Stalker can't be blocked" so I've updated the formatting to Shopu's summoning ability and the text on the -egi.

Also I'm very very excited about that screenshot of Fyrilsunn. Holy shit. It fits just right. Best screenshot I've ever taken imo

I don't remember if I've posted the link in this thread yet but I've been throwing all of my cards into this imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/vhOPQ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, THESE are forever overdue because it took us forever to get a decent shot of Zigovali...

350x488http://i.imgur.com/EFARoXf.png[/img] 350x488http://i.imgur.com/SaFFUqw.png[/img]

I made Meis way back after like... the second-to-last Runestone Shoshopu ever went to. I mean, he made it really easy. If you've ever seen this character you'd know.

Zigovali's design was finished not long after that, but getting a screenshot that was just right was like waiting for the planets to align or something before we finally got one I was really happy with. He might be the most expensive six-mana counterspell ever, but only the first time you use him to counter something. The key is keeping him alive after that to really get some value. He could be a really annoying Commander...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Figuring out how to make a control-switching card (the FLAVOR) almost always work in the owner's favor was tough. Fine-tuning the wording and getting rid of unnecessary abilities and make it function the same was a nightmare. Dx

rCk8Hhl.jpg