The New Classes

E'irawen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point trying to draw a parallel between Eorzean technology and real-world technology. Their guns are not breach-loaded nor do they ever seem to actually physically reload them in any way (could just be an animation issue, but still). In this cutscene:

Merlwyb fires several shots in quick succession with no visible magazine. That alone puts them on a different level from real-world firearms.

They're guns because guns are cool. That's basically all there is to it.

I wouldn't even be surprised if they were aetherbullets, too.

Regardless of how guns do or don't function, be it in regards to fantasy world logic or not... communication is essential for combat RP. Especially if you are unfamiliar with who you're doing the scene with. Assuming it is not a pre-planned scene, if no one's being an OP jerk, you should be able to work out some sort of balance in the end. I would not worry too much about the whole "ahh! it's a gun and guns pwn everyone!" thing.

There's no point trying to draw a parallel between Eorzean technology and real-world technology. Their guns are not breach-loaded nor do they ever seem to actually physically reload them in any way (could just be an animation issue, but still). In this cutscene:

Merlwyb fires several shots in quick succession with no visible magazine. That alone puts them on a different level from real-world firearms.

How do regular folks even take those on, then? I mean, with no aether, just pure physical attacks...?

Also, the argument about "It's a fantasy game" isn't entirely waterproof. There are some realistic elements, such as how the races are evolved with common ancestors (scholarly consensus IC is that Miqo'te and Couerls have common ancestors somewhere). So...

How do regular folks even take those on, then? I mean, with no aether, just pure physical attacks...?

Also, the argument about "It's a fantasy game" isn't entirely waterproof. There are some realistic elements, such as how the races are evolved with common ancestors (scholarly consensus IC is that Miqo'te and Couerls have common ancestors somewhere). So...

The thing is, instead of frying brain cells trying to figure out the unestablished, we can use them to communicate with our fellow players and work out a balanced, creative combat scene with their gun-toting toons.

Machinists will single-handedly ruin combat RP.

Yeah I'm trying to think how anyone can face off against guns and drones if you're a melee combatant. Can't always be "aether" esp for characters such as mine who are all physical. Mages could counter machinists probably.

Be a bullet timer?

In almost every ff game other than basic fodder everything if aware can pretty much dodge a bullet. 

They did it at Carteneau

I wonder how you folks concerned about machinists in combat RP dealt with the fact that guns in FF7 did fuck-all for damage. No, really, go back to that introduction scene and see how much damage those Shinra grunts do against Cloud.

Last Order has an animated example of why guns aren't really that powerful in a Final Fantasy game (skip to 4:46 for guns ablazing):

Not that it really matters. As was said, coming to an agreement is far more important than the mechanics of gunfire.

On a related note, I wonder how folks would feel if I played a Machinist who didn't actually understand the mechanics behind the gadgets she used and just made use of them the way a common (trained) soldier would? I mean, if the things are already assembled it's not like you need to know how to do anything more than basic maintenance (and usage, obviously).

Then again, I need to know more about how turrets work first... if they're non-disposable then that would be an issue.

In almost every ff game other than basic fodder everything if aware can pretty much dodge a bullet.

Quoted for emphasis.  This is Final Fantasy.  Realism grossly undersells what heroic characters are capable of in this setting—  choosing to roleplay mundane combat is a choice to depict a weak character for the setting.

The argument here is whether or not our characters are as powerful as those characters depicted or not. In every RP community I've ever been in, it's assumed that characters that are in the main story/quests/whatever are far beyond what our RP characters are capable of.

Quoted for emphasis.  This is Final Fantasy.  Realism grossly undersells what heroic characters are capable of in this setting—  choosing to roleplay mundane combat is a choice to depict a weak character for the setting.

The argument here is whether or not our characters are as powerful as those characters depicted or not. In every RP community I've ever been in, it's assumed that characters that are in the main story/quests/whatever are far beyond what our RP characters are capable of.

To be fair, I wouldn't call deflecting a bullet or even dodging one OP or up there with the main heroes.

If lalafell can be legit master soldier despite having limbs shorter than a toothbrush and go toe to toe with a Amaalji I see no issue with someone IC deflecting a bullet.

Something like fighting Titan one on one a killing him with a limit break I'd assume a bit too much. Dodging a machinists John Marston style pistol I'd think would be ok.