The New Classes

E'irawen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I RP Weaver as an ex Astrologer, so I tried my best to glean lore from that region of the world. Basically, Ishgardian astrolgers are tasked with charting the heavens due to the Dravanian Horde's movements having some sort of synchronization with the heavens. Supposedly there is a heavenly body known as the Dragonstar that is extremely important to them.

Furthermore, the astrologians will likely derive power via the organization of stars and other celestial bodies. Almost like an extraterrestrial equivalent to geometries.

Lastly, they were able to freeze enemies in time back in Tactics through some sort of manipulation of one's starsign. Horoscopes and divinations and destinies are a very real thing in this setting!

P.S. Can't wait to tarot card.

I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper psyched for Machinist. (Altho not ICly merp)

But I'll also throw in this possibility simply because it hasn't been said yet. Again, possibility.

Machinist could be goblin-tech related. The floating machine the Machinist pulled out didn't have a very Ironworks feel to it (from what we've seen) nor did it have a Garlean Magitek look, but it's colors and clunky design felt very Goblin to me? IDK, maybe just me. But we also have the Alexander Raid coming up in Heavensward which is a Goblin-made machine primal diety thing. So I'm putting my 2 gil on goblins.

Regarding this, there is a slide of a much more Ironworks-esque turret as well:

lPi3RE4.jpg

So you can imagine the class is more just repurposing ANY technology for their own purposes.

Lastly, they were able to freeze enemies in time back in Tactics through some sort of manipulation of one's starsign.  Horoscopes and divinations and destinies are a very real thing in this setting!

P.S.  Can't wait to tarot card.

Yeah sure whaaaaatever. Let's see them do that faster than a trigger pull.

GO SCIENCE!

I'm REALLY hoping that Dark Knight will be similar to Ninja in that it will be more on its own side than Ishgard's. Lorewise both seem to be right on track for my second character (Keeper of the Moon or Duskwight, based on Amarant from FF9)

Historically the Job has always had a strong independent streak which has set it apart from it's counterpart the Paladin.

Astrologian seems to be just a glorified Scholar without a fairy, was really hoping for more. Gameplay wise, I will of course hold judgement until I see the abilities, but RPing wise it wouldn't fit my characters because they wouldn't be willing to cozy up to a city-state of fascists.

Lastly, they were able to freeze enemies in time back in Tactics through some sort of manipulation of one's starsign.  Horoscopes and divinations and destinies are a very real thing in this setting!

P.S.  Can't wait to tarot card.

Yeah sure whaaaaatever. Let's see them do that faster than a trigger pull.

GO SCIENCE!

Is it sad that the only thing I thought of reading this post was Persona?

Just as a historical background to the DRK, real Black Knights were a thing in the Dark Ages. Less then a noble knight, but better then a sellsword, Black Knights were trained knights who had no lord. To make a living they would take up residence in a village, protecting the place for food. Though there were bad Black Knights, most were looked on with favor, often considered to be local heroes. The name Black Knight comes from the fact that such a man had no squire to care for their armor. As to that they would use tar, painting their armor in it then baking it. The would then remove the baked tar, and the armor would then be rust resistant, but would be dyed black from the process.

Just as a historical background to the DRK, real Black Knights were a thing in the Dark Ages. Less then a noble knight, but better then a sellsword, Black Knights were trained knights who had no lord. To make a living they would take up residence in a village, protecting the place for food. Though there were bad Black Knights, most were looked on with favor, often considered to be local heroes. The name Black Knight comes from the fact that such a man had no squire to care for their armor. As to that they would use tar, painting their armor in it then baking it. The would then remove the baked tar, and the armor would then be rust resistant, but would be dyed black from the process.

TL;DR: Erik is very excited for DRK.

that to me sounds more like a Hedge Knight. I think there were only a couple of people that would be refered to as a Black Knight, historically, and those would be personal nicknames for various reasons, such as the Black Prince.

then of course there are the Black Knights of Arthurian Legend and the Knights of Glin, a hereditary Irish Knighthood.

I'm still gonna main monk through and through but.

I'm so greedy. Insatiable, even.

I'm gonna level and master them all. HNGH.

Berrod of course, will remain a delicious slab of monkmeat.

GLD represent. 

I really wonder why guns in Eorzea haven't rendered melee obsolete. It's gonna be fun explaining how a PGL IC doesn't die instantly to a Machinist.

My guess is that Dark Knight will be an Au Ra primary job, maybe their own knights to fight whoever their enemy is? Basically picturing the equation

Dragoon : Ishgardians = Dark Knight : Au Ras

I am already sketching the idea of making an Au Ra dark knight who hunts Dragoons to protect the fellow dragons.

Blue will definitely go Machinist. Wanted guns for her since 1.0; it's no musketeer, but oh well.

I'll probably ICly kill Dylise and Valeria and Fantasia/Name change them into a female Au Ra astrologian and a male Au Ra dark knight. Gotta RP them all jobs!

GLD represent. 

I really wonder why guns in Eorzea haven't rendered melee obsolete. It's gonna be fun explaining how a PGL IC doesn't die instantly to a Machinist.

^ The same way they fought in the war against Garland with magitek and gunblades. 

I don't know how they did it myself but if you think too hard you'll rage quit.

GLD represent. 

Every time I hear this question, I think back to the 1.0 fight scene with Gaius where Yda literally punches his bullets.

Hmm, dark knight being Au Ra...possibly. They do have Au Ra demonstrating Dark Knight in the publicity...but they also have Au Ra as astrologians (which I think the hypothetical consensus is that it's Ishgardian?)

I would have thought an Au Ra tank class would have been Samurai, actually, to be consistent with Ninja.

Hmm, dark knight being Au Ra...possibly. They do have Au Ra demonstrating Dark Knight in the publicity...but they also have Au Ra as astrologians (which I think the hypothetical consensus is that it's Ishgardian?)

I would have thought an Au Ra tank class would have been Samurai, actually, to be consistent with Ninja.

Keep in mind that the Ninja are from Doma specifically. Doma is the 'eastern' themed province. The Au Ra seem to be from greater Othard in addition -- meaning a larger mix of cultures and the like.

I have a Roe alt floating in my head that's just waiting for Machinist to drop so he can be a gun pirate. I just wish I had a little more freedom with the Roe customization. I see him as this ungodly scrawny Roe who uses guns and stuff to level the playing field. Doesn't have as much effect when he's basically just as burly as the rest.

And I can see Chachan's older brother on the non-RP server I play on taking up Astrologist. My headcannon has him being all about using knowledge and tactics as a weapon, so both Scholar's tactical viewpoints and Astrology's divining of enemy movements both seem to gel quite well with him. Though, I ultimately see him sticking to the former more than the latter. Still, I'm definitely gonna give it a shot.

Don't have anyone for DRK, but I'll probably level it on my main because it's there. Unless my other alt floating in my head decides he wants to be a Dark Knight rather than a simple Pugilist. I'd need to see more about the abilities and such to see if my hateful jailer would be more suited for that sort of thing.

So, all in all, I'm pretty excited about all of them, even if Chachan is basically staying Gladiator-slash-Paladin. Gotta have someone still clinging to the light with everyone going Dark Knight! :lol: