The New Classes

E'irawen

So I was slowly edging myself back into the game and community now that my life has settled down, plus all the new announcements today...

So my thing is, I was wondering: We don't know much lore on the new classes, but I do know that eventually I'd like to have my character know those traits (Machinist, Astrologian).

What do you think would be a proper way to start my character in a logical, story way towards these things, without actually doing them yet because we don't know anything?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I recall people mentioning the Observatorium in Coerthas would be a good place to start with regards to Astrologian origins. I haven't personally snuffled around there myself, but perhaps there's some NPCs who could provide some insight in to their field of study and perhaps provide some context clues about how that leads into the Astrologian job.

Machinist...well that one just came outta left field. Doesn't appear to have any direct affiliation with what's going on now, bar some sort of re-purposed Garlean tech, perhaps. Or maybe a sect of inventors trying to outdo Garlemald?

Dark Knight is even shadier (hurr hurr), since there's pretty much no lore precedent to the job whatsoever. Near as I can figure, it's a sect of knights who have forsaken the usual chivalric code and adhere to might making right. How this ties to Ishgard or anywhere else? I can only guess.

Matter of fact, all of these are wild guesses. But perhaps food for thought. Or the ramblings of an idiot, more likely.

Well, I suppose I'm curious mostly for the fact that I want to create a new character now that I'm rejoining the community. I don't think many people enjoyed my last character, so I don't really want to play him right now.

But I'm very, very strongly interested in making this character some form of the Astrologian. But without the info, I'm unsure of where I should start on his background.

to start the machinist class your character could suffer from severe insomnia, leading them to become very thin. they are later involved in an accident which causes their coworker to lose their left arm which they themselves are blamed for. as time progresses, a series of strange events leave your character paranoid.

When we know more lore, if it isn't something really restricted/hidden/secret, there's always the option of finding someone who is willing to teach your character. I'm slowly having my main learn how to use daggers (Not so much rogue, just how-to-stab) and I have given her an off-screen mentor that I mention in journals/hint to in RP. And then I let her use the blades more and more as per her learning curve, I'm 3 months in since dropping the first hint and she's approaching an intermediate state where she knows the basics but lacks the confidence and experience to back it up and make her better. 

Perhaps when a full year has elapsed, she'll be closer to the end goal - When I have absences from the game, like vacations, I usually assign the awaytime to specific intensive training. Planning a year ahead with stuff like that might seem slow and uncertain because well, who knows what you're playing at that point, but I like to do it even so. It's also something you can tailor character progression events/storyarchs around as well down the line. 

I'd imagine the lore has to explain why we haven't seen all of these things yet.

If doing some speculation, I'd say a decent start for an eventual machinist would be with the Ul'dahn goldsmiths. Particularly the part that we don't interact with as goldsmiths ourselves, the ones that construct the mammets and wind-up toys. Not saying you can just come out of there and instantly be a machinist or anything, but its definitely a good place to start a tinkering career untill we know more.

I took a small trip to the observatory to talk to the NPCs, but alas, I remember none of the questing here anymore so I cannot fill in anything that may be revealed through that. The little they did mention was:

The observatory is under control of House Durendaire.

Its main (and as far as I can tell only) purpose is to predict when the Dravanian will attack again.

As might be obvious from the last point, they are able to do some sort of divination through astrology, and supposedly from the reports they give they can do this accurately. The furthest ahead of time concrete attack notice they've given, as far as I can tell, was for a fortnight, but Forlemont says "If we are to read our enemy's movements, we must be able to see ahead tens of years." Indicating longer is very much possible, though possibly less accurate.

As I am terrible with anything magic related I try not to speculate too much on how to turn this into wizardry, but I'd say its at least safe to say it will tie into Ishgard.

I can't imagine Kale not being able to wield a greatsword in-character...but given that there is no class, I sure hope he isn't mistaken for a dark knight.

Astrologian is clearly going to be Ishgard in origin. Machinist...maybe Ul'dah/Limsa Lominsa in origin, or just generic Eorzean. Dark knight is anyone's guess.

I can't imagine Kale not being able to wield a greatsword in-character...but given that there is no class, I sure hope he isn't mistaken for a dark knight.

Astrologian is clearly going to be Ishgard in origin. Machinist...maybe Ul'dah/Limsa Lominsa in origin, or just generic Eorzean. Dark knight is anyone's guess.

It's also possible that all three are from Ishgard, since the other city states also have three. But who knows for sure? Looking forward to finding out.

Am I the only one who looks at the goggles and wrenches and everything on the Machinist and just assumes you'll be based out of the Garlond Ironworks?

This is the most plausible answer we have thus far. The Garlond Ironworks is the leading force in Magitek research & development for Eorzea at this point in time, and always has been. Everything considered, you'll likely be working with some one in the Ironworks and learning the finer points of Eorzean Magitek.

Either way! So psyched. Time to get some plotlines rolling for Merri! Likely won't main Machinist, as I'm gunning (shh) for Dark Knight right now, but damn it if the job isn't literally what Merri always has been way back since the start of 1.0. You know, without the guns.

I'msohappy.

/cough - If you're character is looking to learn a thing or two about Magitek, Merri's a pro~ ...Just sayin' - /cough

Personally, I'm gonna have to think up some plotlines for Steel as well. I need to either find someone in-game who can perhaps lead her to the path of power...or she finds it herself and chronicles the whole thing in her journal (which is more likely the case).

Considering how empty the lore on all three classes is, I think there's perhaps a bit more wiggle room than in, say, Dragoon.

I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper psyched for Machinist. (Altho not ICly merp)

But I'll also throw in this possibility simply because it hasn't been said yet. Again, possibility.

Machinist could be goblin-tech related. The floating machine the Machinist pulled out didn't have a very Ironworks feel to it (from what we've seen) nor did it have a Garlean Magitek look, but it's colors and clunky design felt very Goblin to me? IDK, maybe just me. But we also have the Alexander Raid coming up in Heavensward which is a Goblin-made machine primal diety thing. So I'm putting my 2 gil on goblins.

Machinist could be goblin-tech related. The floating machine the Machinist pulled out didn't have a very Ironworks feel to it (from what we've seen) nor did it have a Garlean Magitek look, but it's colors and clunky design felt very Goblin to me? IDK, maybe just me. But we also have the Alexander Raid coming up in Heavensward which is a Goblin-made machine primal diety thing. So I'm putting my 2 gil on goblins.

I'm far more willing to use gobbie friends tech than tech by people who'd rather be fishing.

Combining a few character ideas with Fated to make her seem more fit for a Dark Knight. 

Basically, she would be older, and run an orphanage somewhere before it got burnt and she went to the dark side. 

Machinist is what Madda's been waiting for! Madda loves Madda some machinery.

Meh, im not all that big on machine classes and all that. Reminds me of the movie robots.

I like DRK too, but im not gonna main it if even use it. I'll probably stick to Rogue.

Im curious to how people will rp these classes, i might take interest in them afterwards.

If the gun class dual wielded smaller 9mm shaped guns and had darker themes id probably had been more psyched.

Meh only time will tell. Still interested in the lore tho!

I am toying with the idea of incorporating astrologian concepts into my existing character's roleplay. Just how I manage that will depend on the lore around the class and behind its abilities, but what little we do know if it has some really exciting parallels to the somewhat superstitious, symbol-heavy medicine I've got partially constructed for my character.

Looking at the gun class video and seeing how unrealistic this game has been with them so far, I'm wagering the medium-length gun will have some attacks using it like a rifle and some like a handgun. I'd imagine we're going to get attacks like "loads a shotgun shell" and "fires lots of bullets automatically" too. It's not dual-wielding Desert Eagles or anything like that, so I'm quite content.

I'm definitely going to incorporate machinist into my character, maybe using guns at least, I'm not sure if he'd be an actual like.. engineer for them or not. Just using them.

But I really want to have him based around Astrologian, and the most I can see is that it's healing, celestial, and tarot card related. I know I can't have him actually be one now adn that I have to wait until the expansion actually comes out (or at least some lore).

Do you think it's acceptable to start him off as just some sort of like. Streetly fortune teller that makes money by giving people readings with tarot cards? Just a thought.

I'm definitely going to incorporate machinist into my character, maybe using guns at least, I'm not sure if he'd be an actual like.. engineer for them or not. Just using them.

But I really want to have him based around Astrologian, and the most I can see is that it's healing, celestial, and tarot card related. I know I can't have him actually be one now adn that I have to wait until the expansion actually comes out (or at least some lore).

Do you think it's acceptable to start him off as just some sort of like. Streetly fortune teller that makes money by giving people readings with tarot cards? Just a thought.

Makes sense. Perhaps he's just tapped into divination without thinking about how it's access to a greater power that could perhaps help others far better than giving out nice messages to people on a street corner.

I like it! :D