How to: Cats?

Kage

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Also. Yeah funnily enough he doesn't claw up anything I've seen (furniture, doors). He hasn't chewed up my chords.

Someone's glasses on the other hand *cough*

but yeah. Water spray bottle. getting one. I hope it works D:

That's my nemmie x3

I had also tried that no cat spray (you spray it on the areas you want them to stay away from) and the butt just developed a tolerance for it >.> buuut thankfully the chord chewing was more kitten issues and stopped now that he's an adult. 

Glasses? oh man.... >n<;;;;

I just got a cheapie 8oz spray bottle from the beauty/hair care section...you might want to set it more for distance than a mist though. The water isn't hard so it won't sting when it hits but it's got more distance on it so you can use it from across the room or something in case he's trying to get out when you have someone coming in or something.

CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

Also. Yeah funnily enough he doesn't claw up anything I've seen (furniture, doors). He hasn't chewed up my chords.

Someone's glasses on the other hand *cough*

but yeah. Water spray bottle. getting one. I hope it works D:

A kitty that chews glasses? I don't know what you're talking about.

bevJqJz.jpg

Arturius would never do such a thi...

aIvVVTX.jpg

I don't know if anyone else has suggested this, but one thing you can do is take him for walks. Yes. Walk your cat. They make specific cat harnesses. He'll fight you at first, like any dog would as well, but eventually he'll get used to it. It's a safe way to feed his need for roaming.

The other thing you can do is bring the outdoors do your cat! Get a little window box you can fill with cat-safe plants, including cat nip and cat grass. 

When it's warm, our cats also like to go outdoors, but they rarely go beyond the porch. We have a fenced in yard, but we let them out on supervised trips outside. Keep in mind that cats redirect anger or aggression, so if you overly spray him he may go take it out on something else. It's best to try and work with them on their needs, a bit of compromise. He may also want to go outside because he's not getting enough exercise and is restless. If you don't want to take him for walks or make him a little cat grass corner, trying tiring him out. Play with him until he starts panting. Wearing a cat out actually cures a lot of bad behaviors, simply because they're content to laze around and not get into any trouble!

The shelter neutered him before we completes the adoption so I dont know if it's other cats...

I mean he looks outside and he was accidentally let out for a few hours while we slept.

I think he's gotten a smalot taste of the outdoors and liked it.

Would a spray bottle mame him hate us?

Sorry for the double post!

It could be other cats, they're very territorial creatures, even if they're spayed or neutered. Other animals can be perceived as a threat. Usually though, they tend to pee/scratch EVERYWHERE in an attempt to secure their territory instead of running outside to fight. 

Also you can sometimes train cats. My fat cat is crate trained. We had to because he kept stealing the other cat's food when we put him on a diet. :x

Hmmm, maybe this short video will help with the harness training:

Cooked chicken works excellently as a training tool. Avoid giving your cat fish because, believe it or not, fish can be addictive to them. Cats are weird.

We found him extremely picy or something.  He won't easy any "cat treats" that I've bought.

It is so hard to even get the harness on...

Yeah, some cats won't eat treats, they can tell if it's meat or not, and most 'cat treats' have a whole bunch of non-meat junk. My female doesn't like hard treats. She'll only eat the soft ones. Try some lunch meat if you wanna do treats, or cooked chicken.

I'm lucky that my cat is skittish so if he darts out the apartment door I just say, "Fine, have it your way!" and close the door.

Within five minutes, he's crying and scratching to come back.  Cracks me up every time~!

But otherwise, we use the spray bottle method with our cats too when they are misbehaving.  If it is possible to take the cat on a leash, I would suggest that as well.  Can't say I blame pets for wanting to be outside, and not all of them care, but some of 'em do.

If your front door is in a bit of a hallway (inside the house/apartment), try putting up a baby gate at the end. Yes, kitty is going to jump over it, but it's an extra obstacle that'll slow kitty down a bit and give you a couple extra seconds to react/anticipate. <-- This one worked for Grr until she got bored with the 'game' and stopped trying to run out

If you're willing to deal with part of the apartment smelling like an old lady's closet, a moth ball wrapped in a bit of cloth (or a sock) and hung from the doorknob can also help. -Most- cats are repelled by the smell, and it'll also help override any "come hither"s left by a wandering female coming in from that direction.  <-- This one worked for Cela

Come summertime (or anytime of the year where it's nice enough that you can leave your windows open for extended periods of time), you can make a sort of window-box that kitty can go hang out in -- it's basically a crate that had one side removed and a small frame added to keep it in the window. Put in some of those cat-safe plants Arrelaine mentioned, and it's a 'safe' outdoors for kitty to play in. If you're on the first floor and have permission from the landlord, you can make something bigger fairly easily.

*looks at phone*

Did.... he make it outside again?

Also, need better spray bottle >.>;

With an actual stream.

not a spritz.

Most bottles have both if you twist the little nozzle on it.

*looks at phone*

With an actual stream.

not a spritz.

Haha it was a cheap bottle I bought at the Japanese super market that they only had one of. It doesn't have such an option. >.>;

*looks at phone*

With an actual stream.

not a spritz.

Haha it was a cheap bottle I bought at the Japanese super market that they only had one of. It doesn't have such an option. >.>;

Hah! Interesting, I've never actually seen that.

My personal experience with cats is that they go through "must get outside!" phases. We currently have one cat in a "must get outside!" phase, and one that just went out of said phase... thankfully it seems like it's mostly only one at a time with these guys. The only thing we really do is toss them away from the door, or nudge them away, or find a toy and toss it for them to chase... or just snatch them up really quick when they DO get out. Eventually they seem to lose interest in whatever it was they wanted outside and it becomes less of a problem for a couple of months.

The spray bottle idea is a good one, though like I think people already mentioned, keep in mind that not all cats actually care about being sprayed. You could also convince the cat he's starving by either making sure his food bowl is empty or taking up the food bowl about an hour or two before you need to leave. Then, right before you leave, become his savior and distract him with the food he so desperately needs because CAN'T YOU SEE HE'S WASTING AWAY?! I often leave my guys without food overnight, so they all swarm when I feed them in the morning and I can get out of the door unmolested.

Arturius was hungry this morning.

I gave him food.

When I left he was still trying to get out so I sorta spritzed him a few times but he kept inching T_T

Do you feed him anywhere near the door you're leaving by? I wonder if you might have better luck feeding him completely across the house/apartment from the door you're using, and feeding him literally RIGHT before you're going to walk across the house/apartment to leave?