The bored at work thread

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when Cookie Clicker came out and everyone was playing that. It was fun to see how quickly it got blocked.

People will -always- try to find ways to waste time at work.  I never understood this futile war by management to block all distractions.

PRODUCTIVITY! You're here to work, not to play! Meanwhile people continue to troll the Facebook, news websites, forums, what-have-you. It's as if people don't like the idea of doing menial, mindless work for eight hours a day. Unless it's in an MMO. :lol:

I remember when Cookie Clicker came out and everyone was playing that. It was fun to see how quickly it got blocked.

People will -always- try to find ways to waste time at work. I never understood this futile war by management to block all distractions.

Honestly I can sort of see why they'd attempt it. Frankly though so long as the people are doing their work on time, even if they have to rush it, don't much see any harm in little distractions to keep them from going stir crazy. Unless they rushing causes the work to be done poorly, in which case they're SOL.

This may seem like a shock to all of you but most company have a website filter for productivity issues among the workers. Basically, it wont block the sites but it will make a record of sites that are visited often and filter them into different categories based on productive and unproductive websites. They do this so just in case their workers are late on something, they have a reason to fire them for not being productive on company time.

These list's also record what workstations and IP addresses of those workstations are that connect to these websites so technically, we are all being monitored when we post here on company PC's.  xD

I think I've worked ten times as much today on RP-related stuff than work stuff... SH!

You can always tell when I'm at work around here when my posting rates go up. :lol:

I also tend to write my RP posts here too, in a Notepad file. When I'm at home, I get too distracted by actually playing the game. :dodgy:

This may seem like a shock to all of you but most company have a website filter for productivity issues among the workers. Basically, it wont block the sites but it will make a record of sites that are visited often and filter them into different categories based on productive and unproductive websites. They do this so just in case their workers are late on something, they have a reason to fire them for not being productive on company time.

These list's also record what workstations and IP addresses of those workstations are that connect to these websites so technically, we are all being monitored when we post here on company PC's.  xD

Yep. In fact, I've been asked by VPs to pull web usage logs for this very reason, in addition to sometimes doing it ourselves to present to VPs when employee actions are personally offensive. For instance, when one of our sites triggered our AV repeatedly for trying to watch fake, malware-laden "movies" on their computers, we pulled the filter logs to make a case for Appropriate Discipline. Of course, this was after we told them repeatedly to stop doing that... and the one thing that will anger the InfoSec Gods more than anything else is ignoring them.

Realistically, though, there's so much garbage in those logs that unless you have a massive IT department or a very operationally mature one (with automated sensors watching those logs), no one is going to pull those if you make sure to Be Nice To IT -- including the devops folks with the glazed-over eyes and ever-present energy drinks in the server room and the R&D boffins who like to play handball with bouncy balls in the hall while "compiling." But hey, telling them you RP on Final Fantasy XIV might be a good way to get into their good graces!

Remember: IT sees all. IT knows all. We control the vertical. We control the horizontal. And most of all, membership has its privileges. :)

Oh, and for bonus points, get in really good with IT and they might even exempt you from the filter. No matter what they say to the contrary, they've made themselves exempt from it. It's all part of the Big Lie.

Remember: IT sees all. IT knows all. We control the vertical. We control the horizontal. And most of all, membership has its privileges. :)

Oh, and for bonus points, get in really good with IT and they might even exempt you from the filter. No matter what they say to the contrary, they've made themselves exempt from it. It's all part of the Big Lie.

And getting into their good graces will always be nice if something goes wrong with your machine and you need help. :blush:

And most of all, membership has its privileges. :)

This is so true. Now if only our head network engineer would stop spending all his time playing Diablo 3 and Eve Online. I'm still working on getting him to come over to FFXIV.

And most of all, membership has its privileges. :)

This is so true. Now if only our head network engineer would stop spending all his time playing Diablo 3 and Eve Online. I'm still working on getting him to come over to FFXIV.

Don't forget Kerbal Space Program.

My day at work will be complete if I can pull and push wire through the wall for a third day in a row.

God, when I get actuall work instead of sitting in front of a computer screen trying to learn and understand software all day, I will suddenly go from hating this to actually being enthusiastic about real work.

And then a three-day weekend! Which means a four day work week the following week! Two great tastes that go great together.

The... next weekend should be interesting, though. The application I was helping to test goes live that weekend and I need to come in for it. I think I'll be recouped the time (since, as a contractor, I don't get overtime pay as far I know), which could mean a short Friday to end the month.

I got that huge list of test cases I mentioned before done and presented it for any feedback. Sorta waiting on that for right now. Just left to wonder if he'll get back to me about any needed changes before the end of this week, the end of next week, or at all.

Blagh.

All depends on the contract I guess. A buddy of mine is under contract for some IT position and they hate allowing him overtime because he is paid double those hours. . .and there was a fire there a few months ago that got him A LOT of overtime.

No fair! I want a three day weekend! But apparently our office doesn't recognize President's Day as a day off. Boo, hiss. 

Still, woop! Almost Friday!

That's okay. Doctor offices that are under hospital management don't either.