The bored at work thread

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The majority of my job is vehicle registration and titling. But today, I feel more like a telephone-based relationship counselor. Love awkward 30 minute calls where someone bitches about their husband without end.

Like in what weird reality is this acceptable c'mon people.

The majority of my job is vehicle registration and titling. But today, I feel more like a telephone-based relationship counselor. Love awkward 30 minute calls where someone bitches about their husband without end.

It's pretty common that we get older donors who call and want to share their life story with you, problems with their kids, relatives, locals, whatever.

Then, every time they call back (either to donate or for whatever), they tell you the same exact things, just with different wording.

I think for most of them they just don't really have people irl to talk to. They don't use the internet, they really just don't have an outlet. Same thing for spousal issues -- sometimes you don't want to talk to people you know about it, because you don't want anything to get out (you tell your friend, your friend tells his/her SO, the SO tells someone else . . .and it gets back to the person you weren't ready to talk to yet, oops). So while you have that stranger captive on the line, it just comes pouring out.

People sometimes are very easily disarmed by niceness. Sometimes I'll get someone who sounds perfectly fine calling to have their dead relative taken off the mailing list -- soon as I say that I'm very sorry about their loss, you can hear them start to lose it. I never intend to make someone cry, but sometimes all it takes is that little bit of sympathy to break down all the barriers.

Ahh my line of work involves artwork as well, but more for advertising.

My father and I run a sign shop here in Florida.

Striping fire trucks, full vehicle wraps (if you know what thst is), election signs etc.

Sweet! A fellow Floridian!

:D

I used to work at a place like that, but only as customer service, which was why I quit. xD

I too am a Floridian! I work for The Mouse and deal with "interesting" and entitled people all day.

It's pretty common that we get older donors who call and want to share their life story with you, problems with their kids, relatives, locals, whatever.

Then, every time they call back (either to donate or for whatever), they tell you the same exact things, just with different wording.

I think for most of them they just don't really have people irl to talk to.  They don't use the internet, they really just don't have an outlet.  Same thing for spousal issues -- sometimes you don't want to talk to people you know about it, because you don't want anything to get out (you tell your friend, your friend tells his/her SO, the SO tells someone else . . .and it gets back to the person you weren't ready to talk to yet, oops).  So while you have that stranger captive on the line, it just comes pouring out.

People sometimes are very easily disarmed by niceness.  Sometimes I'll get someone who sounds perfectly fine calling to have their dead relative taken off the mailing list -- soon as I say that I'm very sorry about their loss, you can hear them start to lose it.  I never intend to make someone cry, but sometimes all it takes is that little bit of sympathy to break down all the barriers.

Very true. I suppose I should clarify my frustration. I never mind the calls I get where someone sincerely just wants to talk or vent. I actually sat on the phone with one little old lady for the better part of an hour one day, just keeping her company, and enjoyed every second of it. 

I just get annoyed when we get the "Jerry Springer" calls where someone calls, gets angry at me because they're actually angry at their significant other, and wants to yell angrily on the phone for thirty minutes when I have other customers to help. There's a difference between lending an ear to someone who genuinely needs it, and someone who just wants to rant and rave for the sake of hearing their own voice, IMHO.

I too am a Floridian! I work for The Mouse and deal with "interesting" and entitled people all day.

Ah! One of my close friends works for The Mouse as well. She works the carousel and the princess picture area in Magic Kingdom <3 Hello neighbor!

Oh, I thought the Mouse was like a computer store or something haha

Ahha! Yes, The Mouse is Disney. I work for the Vacation Club division in their corporate office. Though I suppose The Mouse could very well be the name of a computer place!

I... teach. 

I suppose this gives a pretty good idea of what I go through most days: I live on the other side of the world (and therefore am 'bored at work' when most of you are resting), it's almost midnight right now, and I switch screens periodically between FFXIV and my Internet browser to source for 1200-word long articles to torture my students with for their mid-year examinations. 

I also have to contend with kids who write things like this:

For instance, you cannot expect a man with a height of 6"9 to mend a button on clothes with his huge hand, which a woman can perfectly achieve.

I'd be fired because I'd ask him what his excuse was for not being able to mend buttons according to his logic.

Ah! One of my close friends works for The Mouse as well. She works the carousel and the princess picture area in Magic Kingdom <3 Hello neighbor!

Ahha! Yes, The Mouse is Disney. I work for the Vacation Club division in their corporate office. Though I suppose The Mouse could very well be the name of a computer place!

Though I've never worked at Disney, it being my wife's favorite weekend getaway, only being there 3-4 times a year, I can see the problem you'd have with self entitled people.

Though I've never worked at Disney, it being my wife's favorite weekend getaway, only being there 3-4 times a year, I can see the problem you'd have with self entitled people.

It is the most entitled place on Earth! :P

I feel for all of you programmer and government people. I worked for Medicaid in GA on a system older than myself... I wanted to hug a state programmer every time they told us we were getting a new feature or our older than dirt system would not be able to link up with a brand new system some random company put out. I truly wanted to send them chocolates or something because as big of a pain as it was to work with on my end I can only imagine the chaos and frustration on theirs. So *hugs* to all of the programmers, help deskers and government employees who are still having to go through all of this on a daily basis.

It is the most entitled place on Earth! :P

I worked at Discovery Cove for a summer. People there were bad too (If I never see a speedo again I will die happy :dazed: ) but not anywhere near as bad as the tour groups that go though the different theme parks >.< 90% of tour groups are rude, loud, obnoxious, and think they can do whatever they please *sigh* "happiest place on earth!"

I work accommodations for a resort in New York. One lady who I always seem to get has the last name of "Dimento"

It's hard to not giggle inwardly when I'm speaking to someone who has a name like a comic book villain.

"I'll be happy to help you, Mrs. Dimento."

...I'm such a child. xD

I don't work, I study, does that count? 

It's not easy, it's frustrating, there is crying and hair pulling, head slamming and self slapping, there are expectations and competition,  it makes you want to sometimes jump off the roof, or unleash your parrots on the world and laugh diabolically! ...actually, scratch that parrot part. 

It counts, right?? Does it count? :|

It's not easy, it's frustrating, there is crying and hair pulling, head slamming and self slapping, there are expectations and competition,  it makes you want to sometimes jump off the roof, or unleash your parrots on the world and laugh diabolically! ...actually, scratch that parrot part. 

It absolutely counts, for sure. It's real-life tedium that makes you want to load yourself into a cannon in a chum outfit and fire yourself into a pool of sharks.

It counts.

It absolutely counts, for sure.  It's real-life tedium that makes you want to load yourself into a cannon in a chum outfit and fire yourself into a pool of sharks.

It counts.

*dresses up as a carrot and jumps into a cannon* 

FIRE! Fire, I say! I'm going to fly! 

*parrots severely disapprove*

Could be worse. I could be without Internet.

I work at a job where it'd be basically impossible to work without access to the Internet. Of course, they could also just go through and block everything they don't want us to have access to... but that's a lot of pages to blacklist.

Though, they DID block off YouTube for a bit. That got rescinded, probably because looking up "how to" videos and such is such a useful benefit against folks who use it to listen to music or watch clips of stuff during their lunch break.