What do you do to earn gill?

This seems to be an issue with me, I'm not a huge crafter and it seems to be a little tough to make a decent gill outside of crafting.

Is there anything else you do to earn some $$$?

Maybe it's just a level thing, I have one character who, upon hitting lvl 42 as Bard, got tired of the wait times and immediately switched to tank. Now it seems like it's impossible to have kind of decent income.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a huge crafter and it seems to be a little tough to make a decent gill outside of crafting.

You can try completing challenges with the challenge log, running roulettes as a tank, and sending your retainers out on ventures. These will make you okay money but I really recommend doing crafting for the big bucks.

You can also try spirit binding armor to make materia. This is a long and grindy process but it is a good alternative to crafting. I hear you can make some good money by spirit binding crafting armor.

While Chachan is scrambling to make ends meet, Gogon seems to be doing all right financially. I have him do his healer roulettes, I send my retainers out on ventures and put what I get up on the Market Board. Now that I have the Bombard Cores for the next step in the Relic quest, I can also go back to using the seals to buy Coke to put up there as well (in before drug references).

Ultimately, though, Ixali Sealants are a very solid source of income. One day of the top tier of the Ixali dailies gets you enough Oakknots for a sealant, which you can then throw up onto the MB for 200-300k gil apiece depending on how flooded the market is. The only issue is that you have to hit max rep with the Ixali to get access to it - though you'll still be getting Oakknots up until the point you can actually buy sealants with them.

I don't make absolute millions, but Gogon sits comfortably enough. I'm not going for pentamelds or anything, so most of his gil goes towards vanity stuff - minions and barding and the like.

Yeah I don't so much care to be rich as I do being "comfortable".

Getting a house, furnishings for house,  vanity items, etc.

Bolding the difficult one. It's still possible, but unless you're doing some market trickery or serious soulbinding and/or gathering... getting a house will definitely take time. You're talking millions in gil when stuff like sealants will only get you a million per four or five. So that's a slow accumulation of a million or so a week, plus any bonuses from retainers and the like.

You don't need to aim for a house right away, though. I don't even think I'll bother getting a house. My private room at my FC is enough for me. I don't even know what I'd do with all that space.

And I saw someone who suddenly came into a lot of gil buy themselves the largest house and it's... mostly empty last I saw it. A house and furnishing said house is the ultimate money sink, for when you have absolutely nothing else to buy, I think.

It might not earn the big ones, but just doing all your daily roulette picks up quite a lot of gil without you realising (on top of the tomes and other things you might get as drops). 

Also if you haven't done so already, go through the main story and Crystal Tower quests. The rewards for some of them (the level 4 materia in particular) is worth a pretty penny.

If you don't have the time to grind through mining or gathering, these things can be handy. I'm sure everyone else here has some better suggestions, but I thought I'd make a contribution.

Oh, someone had told me that housing was around 200-300k......

Oh no no no. A PRIVATE ROOM in a Free Company is 300k gil. You want a house? You have to find an open plot and be willing to dump millions of gil into it. Both of which are difficult goals - one being because "lots of money" and the other being that a lot of Balmung's housing lots have been snapped up.

The latter can be worse on the price tag since some people will "sell" the plots to other players, with a markup. A markup that can commonly mean paying 200% of just buying an empty plot.

If at all possible, I'd stick with a Free Company room and see if that fills your need enough. Should you really want your own place, then you can start the slow filling of your coffers.

Ehcatl Sealants from the Ixali Beasttribe quests is how I make most of my money. Unfortunately prices plummeted on Hyperion after 2.5. (Down to 100k each now ; ; ) The Ixali quests are actually a pretty great way to level your crafting classes as well without actually having to craft all that much. So can do those and make money while leveling your crafts to make big moneyz.

The only other reliable source I know outside of crafting and Sealants is Materia Spiritbonding. Very grindy, but very profitable if you get a lucky Tier IV savage might or savage aim, etc. Even some of the higher tier crafting/gathering materias are pretty lucrative.

For buying a house... you really are gonna need to be rich. Houses are hella expensive, as is the stuff to furnish them. Unless you've got some good crafting friends. So gotta try to make the big bucks or hope you win the lottery when Gold Saucer comes out.

Ehcatl Sealants from the Ixali Beasttribe quests is how I make most of my money. Unfortunately prices plummeted on Hyperion after 2.5. (Down to 100k each now ; ; ) The Ixali quests are actually a pretty great way to level your crafting classes as well without actually having to craft all that much. So can do those and make money while leveling your crafts to make big moneyz.

Ouch, they're down THAT low on Hyp? Zalera still gives 270-280kish each per block of it. Sometimes higher if all the cheaper ones have been snatched up.

And I totally should've mentioned the crafting leveling benefit of doing the Ixal dailies, too. I mean, I abuse the HELL out of them. I've leveled CUL to 50 using them (because screw gathering all those mats to make soups or whatever) once already and am doing it again on Chachan. Then I can use it to just aid in the grinding of whatever other crafting class I'm leveling at the time.

The main source?

I got good enough at the end game to find like minded people to sell runs to carried people or who just can't find other good people in PF to clear.

Crafting but it's end-game.

Gathering, but it requires smart watch of the markets and it's stymied by the clock. 1star/2star gathered items needed for crafts. You can find some stuff that sell for 1k easily on its own, which slowly but surely adds up. Some stuff could be sold in bulk that is like 800gil each.

Be stingy with your money. Your teleports. Make smart teleports. Use the aethernet much more. What is my most common tp? Make that my free teleport or my return.  Favorite others so they cost less. Use mounts more than teleports.

Retainer ventures have brought me about 3mil total and I mostly bought ventures from the fates to level characters or dungeon drops that I turned in.

Items bought using grand company seals used to be very lucrative, now not so much. (Aka before the drop, hardened sap was 7-9k. Could make about 2 mil in 2 weeks with smart marketing)

The biggest thing though is that in order to make large amounts of gil is that you have to make it the biggest reason you are playing for a portion of the time. The difference between making a few hundred thousand gil and millions of gil is the time and dedication you put into it.

In regards to housing, I've spent 3 mil abouts in just personal rooming. The purchase of the room. The furnishings. Housing, the lowest purchase goes to around 5mil for a small now cause you're not going to find plots that are able to depreciate to its lowest value. Unfortunately, all plots are bought in Balmung.

Another, admittedly small thing, that you should do is avoid buying gear on the market boards unless absolutely necessary. Do dungeon runs for most of your gear if possible, as much of the gear that you'll be wanting on the boards is ridiculously expensive at best and going to be useless in five levels at worst. I spent so much of my money on Cylin buy from the market place and on teleports that it's honestly a wonder she has anything at all. Now that I'm taking a break from leveling Cylin and putting smarter money saving practices into use on Enla the shavings are rather substantial even before I've hit Lv. 30. It really, really makes a difference.

I would say that that -mostly- works but not completely. Most of your gear from the class/job quests will work ok but if you're not gearing well "enough" you're going to be kicked from dungeons for doing poorly.

.... This poor whm I met in Northern Thanalan doing fates. She was ready to drop the game cause she was stuck on Stone Vigil. She asked about a B rank hunt and learned about gearing. She had some DoW gear on, low level left side, low level accessories, wrong accessories. Etc. Gave her tips on gearing and was going to force gil on her but she wouldn't take it. Crafted stuff insteads.

The biggest sad thing though is that I think she thinks that gil is end all be all now cause I next saw her with a nana bear and I don't think she could have afforded it. Hopefully someone just gifted it to her...

Another, admittedly small thing, that you should do is avoid buying gear on the market boards unless absolutely necessary.

I think the only things I buy off market boards are the crafting relic sets for pretties... and basic mats for crafting (and sometimes just the straight item I need for a turnin, if I'm feeling especially lazy). Still not the best way to make gil, but it's a "time and energy" situation, usually.

But yeah. If you have the bag space, I'd also recommend keeping most of the gear you pick up while leveling a class, especially crafters/gatherers. Since they share equipment, you can swap between them as you level those classes. That saves you money re-buying them, and also gets you a chance to soulbound with them while they're use, which means materia.

It's... kinda what I've been doing on both my characters. Keeping every piece of gear if I've used it any and only replacing it when it's been turned into materia to be sold.

I'm such a hoarder. :<

I make 70% of my in-game money through RP services because im an IC detective.

I know, I know, im horrible for charging RP, but hell, if you need me to do something and its a special request or different from what I usually do, better be expected to pay a little for quality IC services.

Otherwise, the rest of the money comes from Materia/crop farming. I would work on crafts but I need money to do crafts and I would do endgame but nobody wants to do endgame anymore. It's so hard to make money now in the game.  Dx

Gear from the market board is where a good chunk of my $$$ went.

Though I understand it's to expensive, I was way undergeared for tanking Halatali, I managed to do it without any in the party dying but lost aggro a lot. So I went to the market boards and brought my gear rating from 12 to 21.

I know, I know, im horrible for charging RP, but hell, if you need me to do something and its a special request or different from what I usually do, better be expected to pay a little for quality IC services.

Otherwise, the rest of the money comes from Materia/crop farming. I would work on crafts but I need money to do crafts and I would do endgame but nobody wants to do endgame anymore. It's so hard to make money now in the game.  Dx

That's actually really cool....

Really? I only started doing this because it was getting harder to make money. I may stop charging once I have a stable income again. Right now though, income is really shaky so I need something to keep me afloat.

Really? I only started doing this because it was getting harder to make money. I may stop charging once I have a stable income again. Right now though, income is really shaky so I need something to keep me afloat.

I had one or two cases where someone actually commissioned a piece of armor or the like from Chachan. One was an actual crafted suit of armor, the other was an RP-aesthetic thing, and in both cases he was given actual gil. I basically took the values from the MB and then gave them a bit of a discount for being a friend. :blush:

I was honestly rather surprised and flattered that they wanted the suit of armor just for the "Made by Chachanji Gegenji" bit on it. :blush::blush:

If you ICly play a crafter, that might also be a way to make some money. Not a lot, mind, but then you'd also get the benefit of seeing folks walking around in stuff you made. It's a pretty good feeling, gil or no.

I will be honest, most of this still sounds like gibberish to me. I don't even know what the "end game" or "end game crafting" is. I like to craft though I am very disappointed that things here cannot really be customized and the things (clothing/armor) that I can craft aren't very pretty.

I too would like to one day, probably 3 rl years from now, own a house. Is there some sort of FFXIV for Dummies that explains everything simply? I found a really nice guide ABOUT crafting but it still doesn't make much sense.

Side note: I am terrified of dungeons and raids, never having done it I just imagine people yelling at me and making me feel bad. My lovely FC members have offered to help teach me but yeah, for a game it is REALLY intimidating.

Gear from the market board is where a good chunk of my $$$ went.

Though I understand it's to expensive, I was way undergeared for tanking Halatali, I managed to do it without any in the party dying but lost aggro a lot. So I went to the market boards and brought my gear rating from 12 to 21.

Yeaaah unfortunately gearing the tank is almost always the better thing to do if you're taking it into dungeons.

If you aren't going to level the same class again (Aka not another tank or not another DoW or not another DoW), spiritbond what you have (the dungeons around that level will work and usually the material you get will still vendor for more than the gear, though you may be able to put the GC seals to use).

I will be honest, most of this still sounds like gibberish to me. I don't even know what the "end game" or "end game crafting" is. I like to craft though I am very disappointed that things here cannot really be customized and the things (clothing/armor) that I can craft aren't very pretty.

I too would like to one day, probably 3 rl years from now, own a house. Is there some sort of FFXIV for Dummies that explains everything simply? I found a really nice guide ABOUT crafting but it still doesn't make much sense.

Side note: I am terrified of dungeons and raids, never having done it I just imagine people yelling at me and making me feel bad. My lovely FC members have offered to help teach me but yeah, for a game it is REALLY intimidating.

Endgame, in regards to crafting, is the stuff you can start to make once you hit 50. Preferably in ALL the crafting classes. There's items of increased difficulty that you can start to make that require a minimum amount of the crafting stats, and the cross-class skills from several of the other crafting classes is more or less required.

Unfortunately, this often includes some of the more vanity-oriented items like swimsuits and the like, which is why they often tend to be so pricey on the market. All character customization from a visual sense comes solely from mixing and matching gear (which oftentimes requires levels in some class or another), dying the dye-able gear, and personal cosmetic stuff like haircuts and the like from the aesthetician. it's no All-Points Bulletin or Champions Online customization, but it's okay.

The crafting guides are... oddly set up. They're all about what Guildleves you should take due to the ease of crafting/buying the required items. The ones I use usually give you an option at the bottom of each level spread saying which item you can make for "grinding." Example, "make silk." Thus, I get the mats to make silk, set my character to make 99 of them, and then go off to do laundry or something.

Dungeons and such are another beast. I would definitely take up your FC-mates offer to run a few. Most of them aren't too bad, and having people willing to help and work with you will definitely help boost your confidence at running them. A far cry better than getting some random Pick-up-Group full of folks who expect you to know the dungeon and be able to speedrun it.

And the best thing I can offer? Just ask for help. In your FC or here on the RPC. You'll probably find at least one or two people willing to help you out, if not more.