Your Characters' Names!

Hihimi

This is Hihimi Himi, for the record. I've always liked to think up names, so I figured I'd make a thread to see the significance of your characters' names!

Hihimi and H'eemi (My Seeker)'s names comes from my longstanding online nickname, Heemi. Heemi is in turn based off of the Japanese word "Hime", meaning either princess, or a young noblewoman, and was the name I chose for my Beloved Asura Necromancer in Guild Wars 2.

Next on the list is my New RP character who has a Name I am very proud of: Momotaro Cocotaro! Anyways, here's his overly long entomology:

Momotaro = Japanese folk hero.

Momo = Peach | Taro = Eldest son

Cocotaro = A Lalafellin translation of Kotaro, which is a Male Japanese name

Kotaro = "Small Eldest Son" from the particular Kanji I used as basis

Coco = Bears superficial resemblance to the Coco brothers (Thaumaturges' Guild-Heads) and also Coconuts

Making his full name mean something along the lines of "Small Peach Son" when romantically translated.

Finally, we have the oddballs: Kai'to Valen and Hare Stark. Kai'to's name is just the name Kaito keeper-ified, with Valen being derived from Valenwood of the Elder Scrolls series. Hare's name is just one I thought fitting of a Highlander Hyur, so there's no real story there...

I'm looking forward to seeing your explainations!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love seeing threads like these~

When I'd first created Reima, I really just enjoyed her name and the way it sounded; something that randomly came to me, and that was that.  At the tail end of last year, though, I got curious as to what the etymology involved with her name might be.

It turns out that "Awen", in old Welsh traditions, is the term for the "inspiration" and personified Muse of bards and other creative artists.  It was adopted into real world druidic circles and often shown as a symbol comprised of three lines spreading out like rays of light.  Those lines are often said to represent earth, sea, and air.  Pretty awesome for someone who's a Conjurer and has control over those things, eh?

The character name I chose is an old D&D character name adjusted to suit the FFXIV naming convention. However, since I already have a Virara Vira, I added Virara's epithet to her name to distinguish the two characters. I'm airheaded, and might forget what server I'm on if I can't see the name is clearly different, since the two characters look basically the same.

The original character's name was Vira, derived from Virago, which was technically a slur, so I didn't want to use the full word. (Like Wakuwa, "Pig" in Okinawan, the name was originally given in insult with the original character, who likewise grew up in captivity.)The surname Caspar went into my forum name, because it's similar to my usual SN. In both cases, the character was raised in a harsh, unnatural way, with ambiguous degrees of surrogate parental love.

Inarah is, as I'm sure any Browncoats will have guessed, named after Inara Serra in Firefly. Both characters share some personality traits and I personally think the name is beautiful. Her surname (and consequently father's name), Marad, was totally ripped from inspired by Vindicator Maraad in WoW. Again, some similar personality traits between Maraad and J'marad. Plus I like the sound of it, so there. :D

Flynt's OOC nationality is southern Canadian, so I named him based off of the common 5-7th generation Canadian farmers where I used to live. It's plain, rolls of the tongue, and easy to remember. 

Fun fact: Other names considered were Odessa, Judecca, Augus, Ralph, and surnames Reichman, Ferguson, Mactavish, and Walker were on my potential list of names.

i love clio's name so much. the info on her full name i'll post here:

"Possibly means "shapely" in Irish Gaelic. In Irish legend this was the name of a beautiful goddess. She fell in love with a mortal named Ciabhan and left the Land of Promise with him, but when she arrived on the other shore she was swept to sea by a great wave."

and eoghan her last name:

Possibly means "born from the yew tree" in Irish, though it is possibly derived from EUGENE. It was borne by several legendary or semi-legendary Irish figures, including a son of Niall of the Nine Hostages.

it took me a long time to find a name for her that i loved and i'm really please with her first name as well. it's beautiful sounding and fits her so well. >u<

The names I've had have been a bit fluid over iterations. 

The name I've had for my main has been Thaarus Vithala. The reason I kept the name the same though the games he's been used in is because Thaarus was always meant to be a strange pseudonym that would intentionally be out of place. His true name has varied depending on the lore he has been tailored to fit. 

Essentially, Thaarus Vithala means Heaven and Hell, as they are particular levels of Svarga and Naraka (the Hindu equivalents of Heaven and Hell that beings experience before reincarnation.)

He's a character rather torn through extreme rifts in his life, but fights for a balance and stability through extremes, which would also be fitting, as the goal of karma is to reach neutrality through moderation.

The name he has now, Devereau Beauregard, more refers to his lofty nature, flowing and transient (Devereau refers to a river bank, the water relation) and Beauregard to his fixation upon beauty.

A lot of times I'll bring outside influences into a characters name, but in this particular case its her given name (Lyra) paired with a name she gave herself (Blueflower), as she does not remember her own name. She really likes blue flowers, and has blue hair, so she took to calling herself that.

I love these kinds of threads!

I am a mythology whore so a lot of my names come from mythology or ancient civ.

Ereshkigal is the Sumerian Goddess of the Underworld and Destruction. Her last name is Atropos which was one of the three Greek Fates who, when her sister chose a person's thread to cut, she would choose the manner of death and cut the person's life thread. My character is the complete opposite of that as she's a healer (*cough* I have never used it as a torture devise*cough*Aaron you remember nothing*cough*) but I couldn't resist. It's one of my favorite names.

Adelina comes from my nonna's name Adeline. I just love that variation and since the character is a lalafell... she fit the short, stocky build of the Bianchini genetics so I had to.

Jajara is kind of inadvertently named after a dragon of the same name from Legend of Mana. It happened to fit the Dunesfolk naming convention so it stuck!

Delial is named after a character from House of Leaves, a figure which ends up being the source of a great deal of pain and grief for some of the main characters. Blackstone, her true name, was meant as an allusion to the power of the thaumaturges she's descended from: that during their raids and conquests, the fire they could summon would char the very stone and earth black. Grimsong was chosen to sort of allude to herself as something of an omen, and to allude to the fact that most of the things she does tends to be somewhat grim or troubling in nature.

OOC:

Edgar is a love letter to the character of the same name, from FFVI, Edgar Figaro. Both have issues with their lineage, and both have a sort of royal-sounding, absurd name.

The last name Gandervalt is an ad lib on my part. It just sounded fancy.

IC:

Edgar Von Gandervalt is an alias created by Edgar to fit in with his adoptive parents.

Edgar's biological name is a construct of Keeper/Seeker naming conventions: Z'sira'a Tordone. He was given the name by his mother, Sira, who sought to spite his father, an abusive monster named Z'tal who dreaded the thought of his annual violations of Sira producing children who would one day surpass him or destroy him in vengeance for their mother's suffering. In naming him partly after his father, Sira was essentially reminding Z'tal he would never escape his mistakes. Edgar has since looked upon the name with some disgust; with the knowledge he has gathered, as far as he is concerned, he'd rather not be named after either, let alone both.

For my character, I decided upon a surname first. I make no secret of the fact that 'Navarre' was directly inspired by the character Etienne Navarre in the film Ladyhawke. The first name, 'Yvelont,' was taken from the elezen name generator because I was rather fond of it as soon as I saw it. :)

My Lalafell Hibito Yarato's first name was inspired by the Japanese name Hibito. I honestly just made the last name up to fit Plainsfolk naming conventions.

Oh I like reading these things! But I will toss in my two own gil as well.

Virella is a twist on my WoW's mage name. Everyone always joked about Douront sounding French (heck, so many Dalaran NPCs have French names, so I rolled with it), so why not use it on my elezen?

The characters are very unlike one another. The elezen is a chaste, religious, inexperienced young woman, the other a very experienced, outgoing, forty year old human mage. The only thing they share in traits is their hatred for dragons.

Vetiver has two names, a chosen and a birth. I'll discuss the former first:

Vetiver - it's a grass, a very fragrant one frequently used in perfumes. All of my character's given names are based off of a flower, spice, herb, etc. I've also used this name for years now and her favorite color happens to be green.

Chastain - After Jessica Chastain, the actress. All of my family names are based off actors as I'm a huge film nerd.

On the subject of her birth name: it's Pahja Aliapoh. This one has nothing truly special behind it, I simply ran that handy name generator over and over until I got a pair I thought suited her. :3

Aaron is my first name and before people call me unoriginal I like to think Aaron is actually a nice believable name for a human Hyur. But his initial name was going to be Advent but that sounded weird.

I've had 3 surnames I pondered over Aaron, Glacier (initial) -> Iceblood -> finally settled wuth Frostheart.

Aaron is a reluctant and unknowingly cold character in attitude just because he doesn't like depending on others or failing to help others so he shuts everyone out. I wanted a name that reflected the sad cold personality he's unwillingly kept for so long and because of this has a lot of people disliking him (IC at least, pretty sure im cool OOC!).

So, Frostheart shows he's not exactly a cold spiteful character, but just scared deep down and hides it by acting like he doesn't care. Thus I used "frost" for Frostheart to show he's not 100% cold hearted. And the heart part is pretty self explanatory. 

I think I did good, if only my rp portrayed the theme in my head as good as I wanted it too lol

Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Fenrir is from Norse mythology

Coatleque is a derivative of Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec god.

I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

Alexander means Defender of Mankind... Including the bit where there are at least one or two Alexander's in general FF lore, I wanted to keep that in as a way to reflect that bit onto the character.... and because I am personally attach to that name.... Gomez, however, was more of a... personal choice out on a whim. It actually does not follow the normal naming convention for Midlander Hyurs... So whoops! ><;

Wa'gozah'a Nunh is probably a mouthful to some because I wanted to somehow incorporate the hint of Gozah being a Keeper, but raised with Seeker traditions...all while trying to follow the naming conventions typical for Miqo'tes. So it should be something like, (WAH-go-zah-AH NOON) ...Gozah is actually just the name twist around to be similar to Gomez.... There was once a character named Goza, who was an Elf race in another game called Mabinogi... They're not quite related, but their similarities is that they will start out and be more focused with magic-related stuff.

.....So yeah, ehehe.... Nothing special ^^;;

Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.

I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.

Yeah there are some questions best left unanswered.

Frejyalen's first name is a variation of the Norse goddess Freyja (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyja) though that might've been pretty obvious to most.

Her surname is that of her home kingdom, Ruyalen.  It isn't based on anything - just made up to sort-of fit the naming conventions.  I was originally going to name her kingdom Ru'yalen to mirror how Ul'dah sounds, but decided to nix the apostrophe for I don't remember why.

Basically her name should read as "Frejyalen of Ruyalen" but upon traveling the rest of the Realm it became her surname - easier than trying to explain the "of" to anyone.

My elezen alt Miounne Rondelet's name was taken straight from the name generator, because I did not know enough about Elezen lore to name her myself.  =]