Your Characters' Names!

Hihimi

Still i need help does Fenrir have a Meaning aside being a Primal and a Final fantasy Summon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Fenrir is from Norse mythology

Coatleque is a derivative of Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec god.

I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.

Yeah there are some questions best left unanswered.

meme-faces-rage-wallpaper-1-300x174.jpg

4f72ced615524.png

Ok, I'm done.

neutral-poker-face-no-text-l.png

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh boy. I will preface this by saying I never really intended to be consumed by the RP like I have been.

I had been playing my non-RP main on FFXIV for about eight months before I got bored and decided to try out RP. My main's name is Gipsy Danger, and that is the name of one of the Jaegers (mecha) from the movie Pacific Rim. Yeah, I was fanboying over that movie pretty hard when I made my character. At some point I thought, "man, Jaeger names kind of sound like Hellsguard Roegadyn names, that's what I'll go with for my RP toon." One of the other Jaegers from Pacific Rim lore was Horizon Brave, but after some research I switched that to Brave Horizon since Roegadyn names seemed to follow a "Adjective Noun" format.

... once I realized that RPing wasn't going to simply be a passing interest for me, I had to find some way to explain it. I made my character's birth name Bhaldswys, which is Roegadyn for Brave Sister. While she was evacuating from Ala Mhigo at age four, she had this conversation with her guardians:

"How come the sky isn't closer?

"What, dear?"

"We keep walkin' at the line of the sky, but it don't get closer."

"It never gets closer, Brave. No one can walk to the sky."

"Hmph. Well, I can."

"*laughter* Maybe one day you will brave the horizon."

And so, she became known as Brave Horizon. Yup. That's what I came up with.

Franz's name actually has quite a bit of a story to it. Get him in a state to explain it, and he will, as it's best left IC than OOCly explained.

I will say that 'Franz' is not his real name. And he makes it a point to never -ever- give out the 'nil Renatus' part to most people.

(So yes, he'll never introduce himself as 'Franz Renatus'. It'd be 'Franz nil Renatus', if he did. But the likelihood of that is extremely rare, and there are no documents tying the name to him.)

With Solaire, I just really liked the sound of the name. I hit randomize for the last name, and "Solaire Stark" Just kind of rolled off the tongue. Also, I'ma bit of a Dark Souls fan so...er...yeah.

With my other main, Ali Magia, it's actually a name I use for that kind of character quite often! It started from my Elder Scrolls: Oblivion game. Ali has a lot of meanings, but I picked it because I liked the way it sounded with her last name; Magia. That one is a reference to an anime OP, as well as latin for "Magic". Which is amusing, considering she's a pugilist.

I thought the name Lyta fit L'yhta and sounded good, so I "miqo'teized" it. It's as simple as that. :)

Most of my characters have names that just sort of... pop into my head and happen to sound good and fit the character, at least in my mind. If what I'm thinking of doesn't fit the naming conventions in lore, I'll either ditch it or modify it accordingly.

I'll bite! c:

Xheja Rajhera:  

Xheja's name is a one I made up with Keeper naming conventions in mind. I really was aiming for something exotic and remote-sounding, hence why I didn't go with any of the more "standard" Keeper names, as I imagined her tribe being pretty far removed from everyone else. I also really wanted to play around with the miqo'te 'hissing' sound and whatnot, hence all the 'h's in her name.

Fun fact! Even though everyone pronounces her name something like "zay-jzuh", the actual pronunciation is more akin to "zshay-ah". With the funny little miqo'te hiss. When I first started out with her, she actually would introduce herself as 'Shae' on occasion as it was the closest equivalent to her name. But she's so ICly used to it now and I'm so OOCly used to it, I just let it fly.

N'hadiya Khei:  

Not much to say here. N'hadiya is a name recycled from this character's first iteration, which I chose because it sounded like the real name Nadya. Which I love.

Meiko Amano:  

Oh gosh, where to even start with Meiko. First, I guess I should mention that her name is actually Meiko Jameson. Her mother was Doman, but her father is very much Lominsan. However, given their less-than-lovely relationship with him, she and her sisters decided to drop his surname and adopt their mother's maiden name soon after she passed away. (Something which he really, really did not like.)

As for 'Meiko', in Japanese, it is written non-traditionally as 明子. Typically, those kanji would be read as 'Akiko'. But for OOC reasons, because I really like the sound of 'Meiko' and the aesthetic appeal of the kanji, I went the non-traditional reading route. ICly, I'm sort of hand-waving it as having an aunt named 'Mei' (For the phonetic component) and an uncle named 'Akihiko' (For the kanji component) that she was named after.

Edit! Forgot to mention Meiko's 'alias' amongst those in the Rogues' Guild and mostly the Lominsan underground. She's known by the moniker 'Lightfoot' amongst those circles, because - surprise - she's so skilled as creeping about.

... once I realized that RPing wasn't going to simply be a passing interest for me, I had to find some way to explain it. I made my character's birth name Bhaldswys, which is Roegadyn for Brave Sister. While she was evacuating from Ala Mhigo at age four, she had this conversation with her guardians:

"How come the sky isn't closer?

"What, dear?"

"We keep walkin' at the line of the sky, but it don't get closer."

"It never gets closer, Brave. No one can walk to the sky."

"Hmph. Well, I can."

"*laughter* Maybe one day you will brave the horizon."

And so, she became known as Brave Horizon. Yup. That's what I came up with.

I really love that little story. Roegadyn names have so much meaning wrapped into them there are almost endless possibilities for their origin.

My first character's name began in a similar fashion. Her appearance was similar to an old Wow character of mine. So I started by looking for a Sea Wolf name that resembled Kinza and wound up with Klynzahr Iyrnahctwyn.

Her father's name Iyrnahct and her own surname reflects her family's origins as shipwrights and armour smiths. Iyrnahctwyn translates to Daughter of Iron River, and it suits Klyn's heritage well. Her first name is less traditional and ultimately the result of her mother's untimely death.

"Klyn" was born six weeks early on the first day of the first umbral moon in 1550. Her mother died very shortly after, leaving her father beside himself with grief. When he initially refused to give his daughter a name, one of the midwives remarked "It is well that she is given none. Without a name, he will not grow too fond, and will shed only small tears when she follows her mother." 

Although no one had expected the tiny infant to live, she stubbornly lasted for moon after moon without a proper name. Rather than leave her nameless, the women who were caring for her adapted the midwife's first comment into a pet name for the child. Small Tears was translated into the Roegadyn Klyn Zahr, which eventually lead to the name Klynzhar.

Ironically Klyn grew to embody the exact opposite of her name. She has grown to the formidable height of 7'2'' and approaches life with unquenchable optimism. The only remaining souvenir from her early birth and uncertain start to life, is her extremely poor eyesight that can only partially be remedied by spectacles.

Over the years she has embraced her odd name and will cheerfully tell any non-roe that it means No Tears or Lack of Tears. She does get defensive when a more knowledgeable character points out that her name is actually masculine, but tries to shrug this off as well.

Ooooo. These are fun threads. Thanks for making it!

Yssen Van

Halfway intersting, maybe. Yssen's name is a shortened and slightly shifted take on the name Ysengrim one of the folkloric names for The Wolf. Most well known in the stories of Gunnerkrigg Court and Reynard the Fox. It also came to be used as a fill in for other wolves in folk lore and stories, including but not limited to Red Riding Hood, Peter and the Wolf, and Aesop's Fables. Other permutations include Ysengrin, Isengrin, and the latinized Ysengrimus. 

The origins of the name seem to come from Germanic and Slavic roots, but it also has some roots in the Occitan language, as well. Which is sorta similar to the naming conventions used for the Elezen. Wheee!

The fun did not just stop with the name, either. Yssen's eye, skin, and hair color were all picked to bring the origin of the name to mind. Bright golden eyes, Blue skin, Indigo hair. All inspired by the same concept. Among other things.

Oh, and Van? Used as a bit of a joke. Van usually means from, and would be followed by a place. This is intentionally left blank as a nod to Yssen's usual extreme secretiveness and as a nod to his patron, Oschon. Heh.

"Nathan Edward Telluride", AKA Ned, was the name of my main from my time in Fallen Earth. I had used other, more fantastical names in previous games to play bards, but I needed a change, and wanted to honor one of my best RP experiences from a game that I enjoyed quite a bit.

So, it might be a little lore-stretching, but the original name was chosen to suggest someone with a cool head and a snowy disposition, back in FE. It may not be what Nate is in FFXIV, but the name's taken on a power all its own, here, so I am happy with it.

I do have alts better named per lore, but I will save discussion of those for when they get out more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fenrir

Fenrir is from Norse mythology

Coatleque is a derivative of Quetzalcoatl, an Aztec god.

I saw someone use a similar name on a MUD back in 2001, and have used it as my go-to female character name ever since.

Thanks after reading that i find the name ironic Due to the fact that Cyneler is a Paladin.

I don't want to derail the topic, and I'm sorry to everyone for posting this..... I mean answer me in tells or something but........ How is an Arabic knight and the bringer of the end of the Allfather (im asatru guys irl) ironic. I got lost on that one. Don't answer here, we don't want to drag this thread off topic, but tell me man because that one made a spring pop loose in my clockwork brain.

Yeah there are some questions best left unanswered.

meme-faces-rage-wallpaper-1-300x174.jpg

4f72ced615524.png

Ok, I'm done.

neutral-poker-face-no-text-l.png

Look ill PM you my reason why the name is ironic okay.

...has this thread been made before? Meh. Who cares! I love talking about my characters because I'm a completely shameless self-promotional jackanape!

Personally, I love wolves--at least the values and traits attributed to them...so the fact that I was able to secure my character's name has been pretty awesome for me. c:

Steel's name came about as I was doing the research around the Roegadyn. I was a Galka back in Ye Olde FF XI Dayes, so my racial choice was pretty much instantaneous. I was further delighted to learn that the Roegadyn had a fascinating language and reasoning around it. When I tied this research to the fact that I was arriving at ver. 2.0 without prior knowledge of what happened beyond what the starting cinematic showed, I began to look for Roegadyn words that bundled it all--my desire for a strong character associated with wolves and who illustrated their general newness to everything...which in my estimation meant he had to have some familial ties to Limsa Lominsa that didn't involve the events of 1.x.

Sthalwilf Haemerstymmwyn was born. ...and he was originally a male, but the idea of losing a loved one at Carteneau (and the fact that the males all looked frumpy as hell) made me use my Fantasia to turn Steel into the woman she is today.

Also, that reminds me of some fun facts--she was originally a he, and began life as a Conjurer in Gridania because I thought that being a healer would be interesting.

...has this thread been made before?  Meh.  Who cares!  I love talking about my characters because I'm a completely shameless self-promotional jackanape!

I vaguely remember having explained this before too, but hey! When in the Eorzean equivalent of Rome, right? Anyway, Chachan's name actually begins with his brother, so I'll have to start there.

His older brother was originally named Tmesis Oan because I had just intended to try the Trial and hadn't actually learned there were naming conventions. "Tmesis" is one of my favorite words and is something I think more people should look up because it's fan-freaking-tastic, and "Oan" was a name I picked up from a story somewhere.

However, that all changed when I found out there were actual proper naming conventions for the various races. This was prior to the advent of the "proper" name-change and most folks did it by making a character with the same name elsewhere, transferring the original character there (thus forcing a rename) and back again. Fortunately, I was in no real rush to pay that sorta money for a cosmetic thing, so I had plenty of time to figure out what I wanted.

Then-Tmesis' new name went through a lot of iterations - I vaguely remember names like Shoshojaxu and Popoloco being on the list. I "settled" on one that escapes me at the moment (might've been Shosho...) and started using a name generator I had stumbled across for ideas for the last name. By happenstance, one of the last names provided was Gogonji.

Gogo the Mimic, from FF5 and FF6, who could copy anyone. It seemed perfect for a character I was trying to max 50 on everything with. The fact that Go-Go was a music style (to fit with the Lalafellan musical naming convention) was even better. I was making ideas for my soon-to-be Balmung character at the time, so I just started thinking of other double-worded songs and dances for the little brother. Cha-Cha. Chachanji was born to match Gogonji.

But what of the last name? It had to end in -nji, so what could I use? Since I was already thinking in Final Fantasy terms for the most part, it came easily enough. Genji, the usually high-tier armor you get in the various games, became Gegenji and a whole backstory started coming together to fit it. Just figuring that out is what made little Chachan a smith, and got me into the idea of the little guy being from Doma.

So, in a sense, figuring out Gogon's "proper" name is what made Chachan the character he is today. Weird, huh?

(Fun fact, his father's name is Zozonji - named after the City of Liars from FF6 - and the middle sister is Nininya Ninya, which was a spin off of Nina from Breath of Fire)

With Berrod, I wanted to take a name from a character played in a previous game. In this case, my World of Warcraft human warrior. In WoW, Berrod Armstrong was an antagonist NPC meant to be cannon fodder in a long running story arc. Not only did I end up rolling, leveling and gearing him, but at the end of the story arc he was the only one of the antagonists left, having had a change of heart somewhere in the middle of the story. 

I grew quite fond of him, and when I looked through the races and clans for Final Fantasy, Hyur Highlanders appealed the most to me. The little lore blurb on Highlanders made me think immediately, "Hah, that's so Berrod." 

I decided to go with that name: Berrod Armstrong. The Highlander naming conventions included several nordic sounding names, but I saw that descriptive names such as 'Armstrong' and 'Steeljaw' were also fine. It was a very neat transition, especially with him being a Pugilist.

for my duskwight, I frankensteined several of the built in randomizer names into something that looked nice. I literally have a page full of the generated first/last names and a ton of potential combinations This was for two reasons: I didn't trust myself to stay within naming norms while making entirely new names, and two, I didn't want to come across a lot of people with the same first or last name which can happen as it doesn't take that long to start seeing repeats in the randomizer.

The first name Lysiette (and I'm actually pretty proud of this one) came from the randomizer names 'Lycelle', 'Reinette', and 'Melisie'. I did try and make sure the parts where the different bits connect seem allowed in the naming conventions. For example, combining Ly and sie I figured was okay because ly follows through with an 's' sound (even if its a c) and sie comes after an 'i' sound, similiar to the 'y' in lycelle. Her last name Noirteaux came from the randomized 'Noirterel' and 'Soilanteaux'. Both halves meet up with a hard 'te' sound, so I knew it wouldn't be too weird. Some combination names I was considering: (first) Nimisie, Aurisie, Nimette, Lychette (last) Soilantoix, Tristelaine, Terreloix, Vilaudefoins. Obviously, since I don't know anything about name meanings, this is all purely what sounds nice phonetically.

For my sea wolf, the naming works differently so it was a matter of a)sounds nice on its own b)sounds nice translated and c)has some degree of meaning without being ridiculously on the nose. Synglona means song gatherer, and I named her that because her Dad was the unofficial musician of his pirate crew, and it was his music and singing that attracted her Mom to him in the first place (plus another reason related to the Mom that would be spoilers) thus, Synglona was named with respect to that. her father I named Eyrinebb (wandering fog) because I wanted something not too garbled-looking, and also that reflected that he is a pirate born from a line of pirates without being too obviously pirate-y. For Synglona, I was also seriously considering keltwyb, klynwyda, Eyrilona, Blaetswys, or Hirskrael.

Also, even though he doesn't actually exist ingame, one of her brothers is named Swygnthosin (silent gray) though technically that's too many letters (he's in pirate jail anyways so w/e) he's named that because their dad got to name him and he thought he was being clever by a)referencing his own name and b) knowing who the kid is going to be exposed to growing up, he'll probably end up the opposite of silent and therefore it would be a great thing to laugh about later (like naming a black cat snowball).

I'm just glad a lot of you seem to be wasting as much or more time as me making names. I always try to come up with great names even when I have no intention of ever RPing, and my siblings get annoyed with me when it takes forever (if I had a dime for every time I was told to "just pick something already" am I right?)

With Berrod, I wanted to take a name from a character played in a previous game. In this case, my World of Warcraft human warrior. In WoW, Berrod Armstrong was an antagonist NPC meant to be cannon fodder in a long running story arc. Not only did I end up rolling, leveling and gearing him, but at the end of the story arc he was the only one of the antagonists left, having had a change of heart somewhere in the middle of the story. 

I grew quite fond of him, and when I looked through the races and clans for Final Fantasy, Hyur Highlanders appealed the most to me. The little lore blurb on Highlanders made me think immediately, "Hah, that's so Berrod." 

I decided to go with that name: Berrod Armstrong. The Highlander naming conventions included several nordic sounding names, but I saw that descriptive names such as 'Armstrong' and 'Steeljaw' were also fine. It was a very neat transition, especially with him being a Pugilist.

......soooo....the name was passed down...

giphy.gif

i am not sorry....not with you toting around that last name and that icon...

......soooo....the name was passed down...

giphy.gif

i am not sorry....not with you toting around that last name and that icon...

Fun fact! When I made WoW Berrod Armstrong people kept making that joke and I didn't get it because I didn't know what FMA was. Someone told me and I ended up reading all the chapters because of it lol.

I usually pick character names that just pop into my head and sound cool. Reilan Orycia isn't a strictly lore-abiding Elezen name but then again Reilan isn't really a typical Elezen (save for the part where he thinks Elezen is da best and everyone else is just the rest). 

K'hane's name was actually chosen before I knew the whole letter prefix thing was just for Seekers (she's a Keeper) so I wrote into her background that her father is a Seeker and her mother a Keeper and they compromised on naming their children so that they would keep the tribe prefix while having the mother's last name (her brother's name is K'pazh).

Fun fact! When I made WoW Berrod Armstrong people kept making that joke and I didn't get it because I didn't know what FMA was. Someone told me and I ended up reading all the chapters because of it lol.

lol sounds like it did some good on broadening your anime/manga knowledge xD srsly; that's all i see whenever i see you post on the forums and i have to restrain myself from just quoting all your posts with armstrong gifs :lol:

it's always pretty funny when that kind of thing happens. Back when I first started WoW (vanilla days), my brother, his name being Benjamin and his nickname being BJ, rolled a Paladin. Inspired by one of our uncle's alts, a priest named 'PopeEddie' or something similar, he named his first character 'PaladinBJ' It was many a year before I realized the obvious albeit immature joke in that. It's especially amusing since he did take this character all the way to lvl cap. Apparently the naming oversight wasn't pointed out to him until sometime in the 20 lvl range, which is honestly actually surprising. So yeah, one time my brother mained 'paladin blowjob' all the way to endgame content.

I definitely feel like this has been a thread already, but here it goes!

Sophia is a minor alteration of my actual name. When I was a dumb little child, I felt like Sophie was an old granny name like Mildred or Olga and that Sophia was much prettier name. I like my name now, but considering the character, I feel like Sophia fits better as she is supposed to seem perfect and Sue-ish on a surface level (of course, she isn't a Sue omgplsdontkillme). Her last name 'Grave' is a mutation of her true Garlean name and manages to give her a sort of menacing feel while rolling off the tongue. Sophia Grave essentially does everything I want it to for the character.

For Lorelei, I've always just liked the name. It fits because the name is German and she is a Highlander. While she certainly doesn't lure fishermen to their death via song like the original character, she does love to sing, so I guess that fits well enough. Armstrong, her surname, is just very Highlander-y to me and rolls well with her first name. Funny story: right after I made the character and leveled her decently, I was in the Quicksand for whatever reason and saw Berrod RPing. I facepalmed when I realized that there was already an Armstrong and almost deleted the character right there so I could rename her, but nothing came to mind, so I never did.

Dogberry is the name of one of my favorite Shakespearean characters. He was the inept constable in Much Ado About Nothing who constantly used the wrong words for what he was trying to say. He's a great comedic character, and I wanted to put that kind of lightheartedness into the character. It's a silly name, unbecoming of a hulking Roegadyn, but with his personality, he totally owns it.

His last name Himalspyr(syn)--the syn is silent-- is Roegadyn for "Heaven Spear", which is a name passed around among Dogberry's bloodline. The story of the name is that one of Dogberry's ancestors threw a spear so high it flew into the heavens and got stuck. Also, it kind of implies that Dogberry has a Dragoon ancestor somewhere in there maybe.

Iskierka's (Pronounced Iss-Key-Air-Ka) name came from one of my favorite books, "Black Powder War" by Naomi Novik, which is part of her "Temeraire" series about dragons fighting in the Napoleonic Wars. In the books, Iskierka is a Polish dragon that is given over to England in order to help them breed firebreathing dragons. She had other plans. Iskierka is my favorite dragon in the series because she's so headstrong. She acts exactly the way you'd imagine a fire breathing dragon would act. Her name even means "Little Spark". I wanted this character to have a name the belied just how much of a fighter she is. Plus, I think it's just a gorgeous name.

Stormspeaker just seemed like a perfect name for a mage. She speaks, and creates a storm. Or she speaks to storms and they do her bidding. Or her words themselves are the storm. It works several ways.

K'washi Amada is my lil Seeker derp. xD

K'washi is just an alternate version of his original name, Kouwashi. He's normally a human of Eastern (read: Japanese) descent. It was my attempt at making a name meaning "Blue Eagle," with the help of a friend of mine who was studying Japanese at the time. Further research indicates I've probably missed the mark a bit. xD

Amada, I'm sure, is familiar. It's the last name of the main character in the 08th Gundam series' main character. Back in GW2, the player of Kou's best friend would always introduce him as "Master Kouwashi Amada," since he was acting guild leader at the time. He hated it, but the name stuck. He doesn't officially have a last name, since he's always been an orphan.