-- Community RP Idea -- The Turks

Val

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, like I said the other night. Count me in. I've been kind of considering starting something like this myself, but lack the 'guts' of the operation. I can have a dedicated character for this, if you like. Incidentally, my main was going to have something in this vein anyway!

http://www.goodmagic.com/carny/car_j-p.htm

This link I posted is a list of real circus/carnival/con-man related terms. There's a few more sources I can list but we'll get to that as the time comes. It's pretty fuckin' awesome. As someone who's huge fan of the subject, it's history, I'd be more than happy to contribute! By which I mean the theme is more closely related than many people realize. If it wasn't abundantly clear already.

The title under my username, is related in-fact.

Also, Juicy is close to:

Mark — A townsperson you see as a conspicuously easy victim. When a carny, often the ticket-seller, spotted a towny with a big bankroll, he would give him a friendly slap on the back leaving a chalk mark so other carnies would know that this customer had lots of money. The ticket booth would have a high counter, above the average person's eyesight, and the ticket seller would short-change the customer, leaving the change on the counter. If the customer didn't notice or didn't count his change, the ticket seller would lean over to give him some "friendly" advice about the best attractions, putting his hand on the customer's shoulder to point him toward a show he simply must see, simultaneously dusting his back with chalk from a hidden supply. If the customer instead complained about the wrong change, the ticket seller could always push the remaining change to him and say "I told you to take it." And what does an agent do when he spots a mark? He "plays" him - that's right, just like you play a hooked fish. But a carny truism is, "Always leave the mark a dollar for gas." With gas money he can go home (you don't want him stuck there growing angrier with you every minute).

You gotta squeeze the bastards for just enough gil for them to want to come back and try again.

I could list hundreds, but that would just be too much to fit all here. The general vibe I get from NPCs in the Saucer is they straight up hate everyone anyway, and the whole thing is more of a punishment than it is a blessing. I'm sure we'd be doing them a favor by sorting out the trash.

The best thing about this is, it's a little better than just a conman operation. It's a business.

"Time to get the fuckin' money."

I really like this idea and I hope to see it come to fruition.

Also, human trafficking via kidnapping and such has happened in the game. With all the refugees and such, people 'going missing' and ending up far from whatever family they have left, if they have any, and being put to work as workers and such isn't unlikely. Likewise, indentured servitude in the sense of borderline slavery is also very highly likely in Ul'dah where if you ever accrued a debt (through mercantile work, opening businesses then having them fail, extortion, etc) with the intention of paying it off with labor, you'd probably never be able to. Debts might even be passed down to children and children's children. The Syndicate couldn't exist without forcing people to obey by using the lure of coin and the threat of death against them.

So, if slavery is too strong (and it's doubtlessly illegal in Aldenard, but shipping off kidnapped victims to other City-States likely wouldn't be abnormal, especially with the high demand for exotic dancers in Ul'dah and laborers and sailors in La Noscea) then extortion and indentured servitude of a kind might happen with these Turks. Forcing people to pay off their gambling debts and what not by working or running messages they can't read or otherwise being pawns of the organization so that the actual Turks don't have to risk their identities so often. Just invite your debtee to a shadowy room and give them a task and if they don't fulfill it, pick them off later. At least that's an idea, anyhow, and one that might've been mentioned. If so, apologies.

It's kind of like the idea before! The original idea was to be something lighthearted and give some RP for the Saucer itself, as well as allow people/FCs to branch out however they see fit! We do encourage anyone interested to contact us so we can join the OOC Linkshell and discuss it further. If the traction picks up (as it seems to be doing), we'll consider an IC linkshell so that Turks can communicate among themselves!

Well, like I said the other night. Count me in. I've been kind of considering starting something like this myself, but lack the 'guts' of the operation. I can have a dedicated character for this, if you like. Incidentally, my main was going to have something in this vein anyway!

http://www.goodmagic.com/carny/car_j-p.htm

This link I posted is a list of real circus/carnival/con-man related terms. There's a few more sources I can list but we'll get to that as the time comes. It's pretty fuckin' awesome. As someone who's huge fan of the subject, it's history, I'd be more than happy to contribute! By which I mean the theme is more closely related than many people realize. If it wasn't abundantly clear already.

The title under my username, is related in-fact. 

Also, Juicy is close to:

Mark — A townsperson you see as a conspicuously easy victim. When a carny, often the ticket-seller, spotted a towny with a big bankroll, he would give him a friendly slap on the back leaving a chalk mark so other carnies would know that this customer had lots of money. The ticket booth would have a high counter, above the average person's eyesight, and the ticket seller would short-change the customer, leaving the change on the counter. If the customer didn't notice or didn't count his change, the ticket seller would lean over to give him some "friendly" advice about the best attractions, putting his hand on the customer's shoulder to point him toward a show he simply must see, simultaneously dusting his back with chalk from a hidden supply. If the customer instead complained about the wrong change, the ticket seller could always push the remaining change to him and say "I told you to take it." And what does an agent do when he spots a mark? He "plays" him - that's right, just like you play a hooked fish. But a carny truism is, "Always leave the mark a dollar for gas." With gas money he can go home (you don't want him stuck there growing angrier with you every minute).

You gotta squeeze the bastards for just enough gil for them to want to come back and try again.

I could list hundreds, but that would just be too much to fit all here. The general vibe I get from NPCs in the Saucer is they straight up hate everyone anyway, and the whole thing is more of a punishment than it is a blessing. I'm sure we'd be doing them a favor by sorting out the trash.

The best thing about this is, it's a little better than just a conman operation. It's a business. 

"Time to get the fuckin' money."

That's definitely kind of what we're going for! Something business-related! Thank you for the link, too! I'll pass it forward to the others involved and maybe it can help to inspire some names from others! I'll also look for you next time I'm in game and try to get you in the linkshell :)

This sounds like a super neat idea! It just so happens I've been thinking of redoing an alt of mine, so I might have an available candidate. There's not enough cool shady rp~ 

Get it... shades? 8-)

...c-can I still join? I wont make any more jokes.

another cool bit of slang could be Shiny: Would make it clear to the other members that a person or deal has been double and triple checked for counter-cons and rival influence and it's go time to engage without any fear of blowback.

AND

I'm sitting here and thought of another possible slang. Its a little silly, but I figured hey- it could  be cool.

7's & 9's : Used to describe a situation in which the Turks have members in place to clean up a deal or silence an individual if the deal goes south or an asset decides to squeal. 

Turk A: "I dunno Ace, this looks a little risky. What if they contact their lead in the Syndicate?"

Turk B: "Tch, 7's and 9's, Jack. They keep quiet, everyone gets rich. They don't, suits are gonna send 'em off the Long Dive, see?"

Thank you for the input of slang! We'd certainly love to have you with us, puns and all :P Just let us know when/if you get that alt available, or we can throw you in on the main until then :)

To everyone else:

Thank you all so much for the support! I'm really glad to see that people enjoy the idea! As I've said, we're still getting it off the ground and some of us have made some full-fledged alts to be Turks once we at least get them to the point that they can meander about through saucer. We're all looking forward to some fun interaction via the Saucer and other cities, and hope that it can help RP spread out a bit as well! We're all pretty excited about the RP and can't wait to get it going =)

I thought something like this might be created someday! :D 

It is an amazing idea and I actually have a (hypothetical) alt, a fledgling schemer, that would actively get herself involved in such Business. But there is (still) the issue of me being unable to exist in-game regularly even on my main... 

... I am so, so tempted though. But I will contact you if it ever happens. :3

For those of you who are tempted to join or are looking for a reason or otherwise are simply wanting to get involved, I would recommend joining the OOC Linkshell if you have the space. We intend to use the Linkshell to put together ideas for the organization and spontaneous RP. Obviously, we are still getting off the ground, but we openly welcome any sort of feedback/comments/concerns/brain storming people would want to offer, and if a discussion was to start in the Linkshell, people could readily participate.

Currently, people that can invite to the Linkshell are Val Nuhn, Faye Covington, Alyeis Daimerius, and myself, Jikam Constans. 

We look forward to hearing from people!

Question: So how do people join the turk's? Considering its a kind of secretive organization, would they need to be scouted out? Or would they need like someone from inside the organization to be recommended to them?

Like, say The Courier, who is my alt, has ran alot of packages and info for the Turks (without knowing it) and one of the already existing members take notice. They do a background check on him to see who he is involved with and if The Courier is not involved with people he should not be involved with or he doesnt have an agenda or personal interest that interferes with the Turk's interest, which is mostly making money, then he would likely be sent a letter, a suit and a pair of shades and told so and so is his Lieutenant/handler.

Question: So how do people join the turk's? Considering its a kind of secretive organization, would they need to be scouted out? Or would they need like someone from inside the organization to be recommended to them?

Like, say The Courier, who is my alt, has ran alot of packages and info for the Turks (without knowing it) and one of the already existing members take notice. They do a background check on him to see who he is involved with and if The Courier is not involved with people he should not be involved with or he doesnt have an agenda or personal interest that interferes with the Turk's interest, which is mostly making money, then he would likely be sent a letter, a suit and a pair of shades and told so and so is his Lieutenant/handler.

We haven't really fleshed out how people join. Most of our characters we're starting out have simply been members for a while. It's humorous that you mention this, as Flynt recently joked about having some 1940s-era initiation of sorts, and threw around the idea of throwing a chocobo head in someone's bed :v

I like the idea with The Courier. If they seem like they'd be good after a background check, I can imagine them being kidnapped/grabbed/taken or some such and inducting them somewhere quietly. That's something we'll have to discuss more, as well!

This looks so fun! My alt, Kaj, would make a good victim for the Turks if you'd like to use her for a roleplay anytime. She's both somewhat naive and well off — a perfect target for a monetary heist! It is also likely that she could easily be tricked into running tasks simple yet risky when it comes to searches.

Love the concept. If only I had a dastardly gentleman concept under my sleeve!

This looks so fun! My alt, Kaj, would make a good victim for the Turks if you'd like to use her for a roleplay anytime. She's both somewhat naive and well off — a perfect target for a monetary heist! It is also likely that she could easily be tricked into running tasks simple yet risky when it comes to searches.

Love the concept. If only I had a dastardly gentleman concept under my sleeve!

We'd love to use RP with your alt! If you're at all interested, even with help making an alt or getting involved through your alt, we recommend joining the linkshell with us (assuming you have a free slot) so we can discuss things further!

Thanks again!

I think I can throw Nah into this as...

A. Someone interested in joining or even just interested in the organozation and their methodology. (Assuming she actually even knows about the organization.)

B. A victim. (Can anyone say 'I saw it coming')

C. Unwittingly become a gopher to one of the Turks. (Which makes her an unaffiliated and conveniently disposable asset to the Turks. If she gets caught no one's gonna know it was the Turks. They'd just chalk it up to this crazy keeper lady.)

D. Almost a victim. (Because Liliro is that awesome as a boss to her intern/gopher/student/doormat)

Did I mention she's naive and has a good heart...even gullible. Also that she's been at the GS a few times ICly but I couldnt find people to RP her with...

• 2 weeks later...

Uuuunfortunately, a round of intense work in my classes and then an annoying sickness hit me, so I haven't been able to do much in game!

But they're certainly out there! We just haven't been able to get too much done x_x.

There was a brief RP in the Saucer a while ago between the Turks and Val, which was incredibly fun and entertaining! I think most of the time they're going to be hanging near the lounge, as it's more fitting of an area.

Once this stuff gets settled out, I hope to be putting more time into it =)

Val you came across some genius idea I must say.

Lol I enjoyed just reading the OP let alone commenting!

I can't picture Aaron being a Turk because reasons but if I make a new Alt I've been pondering over for ages you think she could join in?