New lore dug up from the XIV .DATs.

Merri

Some interesting lore bombs were found recently. Turns out SE added some tooltips to XIV with 2.5, and while they haven't shown up in-game yet, there's some interesting lore tidbits in them. Some we already know, some are new, like the fact that it's believed the Miqo'te first migrated from Meracydia. We knew they came from another continent, and it was easily assumed to be Meracyida, but until now, we didn't know which with 100% accuracy.

Figure I'll just list every one here, even the facts we already knew. :>

• Each previous Astral Era has ended with a Calamity corresponding toone of the six elements─fire, ice, earth, lightning, water, and wind.
  • In Eorzea, length and distance are measured in ilms, fulms, yalms, and malms. There are 12 ilms in a fulm, 3 fulms in a yalm, and 1760 yalms in a malm.
  • It is believed the Miqo'te first came to Eorzea during the Fifth Umbral Era, fleeing their ravaged homeland on the southern continent of Meracydia.
  • The shortest Lalafells are roughly two feet ten inches (34 ilms) tall. By contrast, Roegadyn can grow to almost three times that height (90 ilms).
  • In Eorzea, weight is measured in onzes, ponzes, and tonzes.There are 16 onzes in a ponze and 2000 ponzes in a tonze.
  • Coerthas, once a verdant highland region, is now pounded byrelentless snowstorms─an unforeseen side-effect of the Calamity.
  • Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn came to power after emerging victorious in the Trident─a multi-pronged race used to determine Limsa Lominsa's Admiral.
  • Eorzea is located on Aldenard, one of the Three Great Continents. The other two─Ilsabard and Othard─lie to the north and northeast, respectively.
  • Plainsfolk males─notable Syndicate member Teledji Adeledji included─usually go by their entire full name, rather than first or last name alone.
  • Throughout history, the Lalafell passed their histories down through song,which is why even now many use heavy alliteration in their speech.
  • Peistes, gigantoads, antlings, and vultures are known to lunch on Lalafells,but any rumors involving ravenous Roegadyn are dubious at best.
  • In addition to weather such as rain, snow, and sandstorms, certain areas in Eorzea will experience an umbrally charged fog known as “gloom.”
  • The aitches in certain Miqo'te names represent a slight hissing sound. Since other races cannot make this sound, the aitches become silent.
  • The Great Goobbue Wall of Ul'dah, referenced in “He Who Waited Behind,” was real! It was created by adventurers on the eve of the Calamity.
  • Some Eorzeans believe that after death, souls must endure the trials of six hells before passing into the eternal damnation of the seventh.
  • Beastmen refer to the five races with a variety of colorful titles including 'smoothskin,' 'overdweller,' 'uplander,' and 'spoken ones.'
  • The Keepers of the Moon have a matriarchal society, with surnames passed down from mother to child—some since the First Astral Era.
  • Determining a goblin's gender is as easy as looking at the last two letters of their name: “~ix” for males and “~ox” for females.
  • Inspector extraordinaire Hildebrand's monocle is merely for vanity purposes, and does not actually contain a functional lens.
  • The Syndicate, Ul'dah's ruling body, has six members─six members who also happen to be the six richest citizens in all the sultanate.

Few interesting things in there we didn't previously know!

For some reason, I'm inclined to believe I knew some of it already though. I just couldn't place where exactly.

Most of this was relatively common knowledge (at least for lore junkies), though I didn't know that Miqo'te came from Meracydia so that's definitely new and interesting.

Can also confirm that the SPANISH language exists in-game. An Elezen is teaching/flirting with a girl in the Gold Saucer and translating a Spanish word for her.

"El Coloso" is the name of something in the Golden Saucer (the giant cactuar statue?). It doesn't necessarily mean Spanish is a spoken language in the game any more than Latin is, given the Latin roots in Garlean naming conventions. Plus, his translation is pretty shoddy--telling her that "El Coloso" means "the Coloso." :P

Well, the main tongue of the game is written in English (or Japanese if in Japan). Doesn't mean that their language is actually English or Japanese. It's just the "Common" tongue. That they use other real-life languages as flavour, e.g. Spanish, doesn't mean that in the world of FFXIV that it is actually Spanish.

For some reason, I'm inclined to believe I knew some of it already though. I just couldn't place where exactly.

Most of it is already common knowledge. A few things elaborate on stuff we did not previously know, like the tidbit about Miqo'te or that plainsfolk pass down their history through song. Minor things in the grand scheme of it all, but, they flesh out the world that much more and give people a chance to delve that much deeper into their characters.

look like loading screen tidbits...

You would be correct. The link in the OP has the rest. Most aren't lore related, but, some are. I'm getting a feeling they'll be adding them in Heavensward, as they were just recently implemented as of patch 2.5, but not inserted into the game.

Well, the main tongue of the game is written in English (or Japanese if in Japan). Doesn't mean that their language is actually English or Japanese. It's just the "Common" tongue. That they use other real-life languages as flavour, e.g. Spanish, doesn't mean that in the world of FFXIV that it is actually Spanish.

It's worth noting that the only Spanish in the game comes in reference to Cactuars/Sabotenders, like the names of the Sabotender boss and adds in Qarn HM. How Eorzeans know those Spanish words to name them (and El Coloso, the giant Sabotender statue) remains to be seen. I can't help but hope there's a village of little Spanish-speaking cactus people somewhere...

I wonder how many Miqo'te know about Meracydia.  If they've been in Eorzea for generations, some if not most may have forgotten?  Eh, probably not.  I'm still going to RP as if D'aito only knew the legend of her ancestors coming over the ice bridge from a "forgotten" land.  Forgotten to her tribe maybe, but apparently not completely forgotten.

Can also confirm that the SPANISH language exists in-game. An Elezen is teaching/flirting with a girl in the Gold Saucer and translating a Spanish word for her.

"El Coloso" is the name of something in the Golden Saucer (the giant cactuar statue?). It doesn't necessarily mean Spanish is a spoken language in the game any more than Latin is, given the Latin roots in Garlean naming conventions. Plus, his translation is pretty shoddy--telling her that "El Coloso" means "the Coloso." :P

Virtually all Elezen have French names but don't show any sign of having French accents or speaking anything akin to French do they? It's also a bit odd that Roegadyn who pronounce their full names flawlessly also don't have hints of accents either. (For example, people with French or Italian names in America often don't pronounce their names the same way they're pronounced in the language because the language their name comes from isn't one they speak; whereas people like Merlwyb -specifically- pronounces her name differently than she normally speaks). Less so than full on French names, though. I would've at least hoped that some noble Elezen somewhere would retain their whole language and be speaking it.

(Another example: Bastien often being pronounced 'Bast-ee-an' rather than 'Baes-teeoh' or 'Baes-teeohn')

So far the most frequent characters I've seen (one of my own, included) that had a 'native language' RP-wise are miqo'te. Something about them being tribal and potentially reclusive through generations, I suppose, makes that seem somehow more likely.

I still dream of a reclusive Duskwight family somewhere out there who still speaks some variation of a previous tongue and since they might abstain from trading often and prefer to communicate among themselves, have thick accents when speaking the widely accepted dialect.

Some might argue that the generic Eorzean speech has been going on so long that no surviving individuals would be speaking 'native' tongues still or perhaps they never even -had- native languages but that just doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Miqo'te clearly did/do. Roegadyn clearly did/do. Elezen clearly did/do. Garlean-Latin and Spanish or what appears to be Spanish might share roots in some older language. Maybe they're even shared with the original Elezen language. For the more scholarly or historically inclined individuals, being fluent or at least learning those old languages seems like it would be a rather fulfilling goal.

It's worth noting that the only Spanish in the game comes in reference to Cactuars/Sabotenders, like the names of the Sabotender boss and adds in Qarn HM. How Eorzeans know those Spanish words to name them (and El Coloso, the giant Sabotender statue) remains to be seen. I can't help but hope there's a village of little Spanish-speaking cactus people somewhere...

Well, but then there's Costa del Sol. Who knows?!

Miqo'te originally migrated from Meracyida...? That has the potential to foresee major implications for the future.

Considering that what you learn in Final Coil is that Allag went to war with Meracyida eons ago, and that Miqo'te had been around since the First Astral Era, my gut feeling tells me that between Meracyida dragons, Miqo'te, Hyur, Elezen, and that war, it would explain G'raha's lineage being traced back to the fall of Allag.

However, with the last Princess entrusting the gift of her royal blood to her most trusted associate whom is Miqo'te for all we know because it descends to G'raha... that either means her most trusted associate was Meracyidan, or it means the Miqo'te homeland was Meracyida but they might have been elsewhere as well during that time since they've been around since the First Astral Era.

Amazing confirmation there, and that's a lot for me to think about.

Well this was a pretty amazing load. I'll be sure to take a lot of those things in consideration. Thanks for the post!

EDIT: I haven't explained it very well. I can't say I'm extremely deep in the lore, since I'm quite new still. I've always loved the details SE gives to flesh the world, and these tidbits, a lot were new to me, and obviously the Miq'ote one is unprecedent, and very fun. I do wonder if we're going to see the new continents in the future. As of now, I'm just really interested in these informations, and what more lies on Heavensward.

They should have put Goobue and Morbols aren't animals but in fact carnivorous plants. 

#credits draco

Goobbue are not actually themselves plants, the game makes a note of saying it's unclear what they are but basically describes them as Bulbasaur. They are only classified as Seedkin because of the plantlife growing on them.

The nature of the Goobbue is surrounded in mystery, but two things are known for sure: they have a huge lung capacity and an even bigger temper! Goobbue live within the inner regions of La Noscea, coexisting with the plant life on their head, even making sure to feed it and give it water. In return, the plants serve as camouflage, or even a quick meal in a pinch. On average, Goobbue stand at about 20 fulms, or 6 meters tall.