Breaking the MSQ

A lot of folks have been dissatisfied with how the Warrior of Light/Derplander seems to be... basically a patsy. He goes where he's told, does what he is bid, and stands around as the plot basically unfurls around him with his hand in it being little more than beating up whatever baddy he is directed at.

From that, there has been talk of how one's actual character would have reacted - what they would have done in this or that situation during the whole of the Main Story Quest. From straight up ignoring Minfilia to doing more than just stand around and watch as the events of the last patch's multi-hour cutscenes unfurled... it has been a talking point whenever the WoL's hand in things is brought up.

So, I have a - hopefully fun - little thought experiment.

What one thing could your character feasibly do (a.k.a. something they both might and would be able to do - no outlandish stuff like throwing reins on Ifrit and sending him stampeding through Ul'dah, for example, unless you could somehow reasonably present how your character would manage such a thing) if they were in the Warrior of Light's place that would most derail the story as it has been presented? And, furthermore, what would you think would happen/change in the MSQ because of it?

Would your character's simple decision to not join the Scions result in the Primals never being taken down, leading to them having too much power gathered by the time Ultima Weapon shows up, resulting in the Eorzean Alliance having to band together to throw hundreds of very temper-able soldiers under the bus to stop them rather than what would have been Operation Archon? Feel free to go full Butterfly Effect on this, folks. It's all in good fun.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoilers, obviously. Up to 2.55.

Brynhilde sides with the Ala Mhigan refugees when they are given weapons and manipulated into rioting by the Monetarists. Together they overthrow the Blades, the Flames (although I imagine there'd be many defectors from the Flames), put the Monetarists all to the sword or public execution. The monarchy is overthrown, because the Ala Mhigans learned that lesson well. Nanamo is permitted to live on account of her age, and her well-known concern for the common people.

The Monetarist coup of 2.55 never happens; the bastards are all dead. Ul'dah becomes the closest thing to a democracy Eorzea has. The refugees of Little Ala Mhigo move into the city. What was previously the Sultanate becomes a true haven for refugees of all kinds.

Nanamo lives. Likely becomes a figurative champion of the poor.

Raubahn takes a place on the predominantly Mhigan Ul'dahn council, perhaps as the city's first president.

Brynhilde, unable to stand the praise and adulation from her fellow refugees, leaves Ul'dah and never returns. Also the last remnants of the Monetarist's supporters want to kill her so hard. She's not heard from again.

Ul'dah begins to mobilise in preparation for the war to take back Ala Mhigo.

"So, let me get this straight, love. You've got some idea that primals can't wave their hands, go 'boogaboogabooga', and enslave me, like they do everyone else, and that somehow makes me the most qualified person you can find to be your front man, when you are surrounded by apparently competent people who DO have some experience fighting the things. You expect me to lead these people, and the best use you can think for me is to, what, go run errands for this and that Grand Company and random military outpost, and run myself ragged? And all this came because Miounne has taken a shine to me? What do YOU do while all this is going on?"

"........"

"That's what it looked like. Sorry, love. Get back to me when you can tell the difference between bards, heroes and errand boys."

Nathan whistles his way back from Horizon, meaning to have a good word with Miounne about this nonsense she's trying to get him into, and shaking his head occasionally. However, whichever one of you DOES fall for Minfilia's little offer, he'll be glad to sing of your deeds.

(Joseph Campbell calls it "Refusing the Call". SE could stand to read his stuff)

"Pissin' buggers can come 'ere to Toll if they want t'celebrate. Shite, this is neutral ground, where better? Twelve Above. Tired o' haulin' arse t'Ul'dah every time they want a feast or a ceremony."

Alternatively,

"Oi, Alphinaud, somethin's rotten 'n' smells o' dead orobon with them Braves. Clean house, eh?"

Minfilia: "Hello? Ember?"

*The sound of Ember nomming noisily on something. Her lips occasionally smack as she chews*

Minfilia: "Ember, where are you? Everyone is here and and ready to rid Eorzea of another primal threat."

Ember: "Food!"

Minfilia: "Ember?"

Silence.

Minfilia: "Ember? Ember! .....Goddammit."

"Nanamo called me to meet her in the palace?"

/looks at poison vial Momodi told him to hold on to.

". . . . " /throws vial out the window. "Only an idiot brings something like that near a palace."

Sadly that was only a convenient aid to the plot. No one actually believes the Syndicate's frame job, and they probably could have gotten to work for its purposes without that single piece of info.

And personally? When Iceheart somehow survived turning into Shiva*, I'd have tried to stop or restrain her and tell her to cut the cryptic bullshit and tell me what was going on here if she didn't want me to finish her on the spot.

Iceheart surviving in the first place is something I found exceptionally dumb given that Archon Louisioux, the most powerful wizard of this era, could not survive a similar subduing after transforming into a primal.

Evangeline rolls over and embraces the other Elezen, nuzzling against the back of her neck. "Shhh... Ysayle, you can assault Ishgard another morning."

The white haired Elezen sighs, and relaxes in the embrace of another, "Why is it with you I feel this icy heart of mine is melting." She rolls over as well, and caresses Evangelines cheek, as she moves in for a kiss, "When did love become more important than vengeance..."

Evangeline yawns awake, blinking her eyes, "Oh, that dream again." She blushes slightly as she relives it, "Hmmmm... someday."

(/fangirl)

She probably would of taken over the Scions due to how useless Minfilia (She HATES useless people) is and probably made everyone else do the stupid errand boy work while she figured out how to get rid of the Ascians efficiently. You know, magey stuff.

Septha would of never went to the private meeting with the Sultana and definitely would not be in the conference room either. She hates private talks with people she doesn't know and she definitely hates crowds. If anything she would of already be some place else that's definitely more important.

WoL assassinated the Sultana? She wasn't even there in the first place. Go home, you dumb drunk lalafell.

Teledji bursts into the conference room with his small troop of mooks, the Sultana clutching at her throat. He cackles like a super villain taking part in a panto. 'At last, my incredibly complex and circuitous plan to frame you for killing the Sultana has...'

He gets no further, as a small light lands on the Sultana, and she stands back up again. He looks at the Warrior of Light, who is standing there holding a sodding magic book with her fairy out because of course. His mouth opens, aghast at this turn of events.

'... What? I learned Leeches at Level 40 you silly bastard.'

Also I suppose if that scene had played out the way it was supposed to, I think the presence of five mooks would not stop a very angry and heavily armed Newton from punting the Lalafell in question through a window after he walked up to her unarmed and laughed in her face about the whole affair.

I haven't really considered the sweeping consequences, but it basically goes majorly off the rails when Leviathan shows up.

Dogberry's white whale, lulz.

Pretty much all my characters share the same divergences. The first true deviance I can think of would be in the aftermath of Operation Archon. Northern Thanalan would come fully under the control of the Immortal Flames, and in memory of the man whose spirit was evoked in the title of the operation to defeat the Ultimate Weapon, the former Castrum Meridianum would be named Fort Leveilleur, and provide not only a staging point for further raids against Garlean holdings in Eorzea, but a wellspring of technological and military improvements for the Eorzean Alliance.

All would then proceed as normal until 2.4, wherein there would never be a battle against Shiva because ol' Icetits would take an axe/spear/sword/bullet(s)/blast of fire to the spine while she made the damned fool's mistake of turning her back on someone she just trash-talked and tried to have killed by her pet ice wolf. The Steps of Faith would never be threatened by Vishap, and ol shit-for-brains adeledji would need to find another opportunity to pull off his stupid scheme.

On the other hand, I feel as though Tahz is such the goody-goody sort that he'd be hesitant to strike Iceheart down with her back to him, which would let the rest of the story continue unmolested. Until the end of 2.55.

Then Tahz, being not the brightest, would likely still wind up falling into the Syndicate's trap, and would be so horrified that he would not initially resist. (He's a bit of a martyr) But the second Raubahn drew arms, Tahz would've been ready to fight. The guy wears wyrm mail, wouldn't have been very hard to catch those binds on one of the spikes and cut it through. Then ol' ill-bred, the brass blades mooks, and every Syndicate fuckstain in that room would've gotten introduced to the wrong end of Gae Bolg.

Where do I even start...

I'd probably say the biggest derail would have occurred in 2.4, where the seeds of all that ended up fucking up was planted. Upon FIRST hint of any discrepancy between assignments, weapon distribution, etc. He'd have dropped everything and performed audits, most likely at axe point because UNLIKE WHAT EVERYONE FUCKING ASSUMES he has absolutely no qualms about killing dudes (and like everyone knows he's simple so...)

Crystal Braves lose 2 regiments, and support from certain individuals, but they are expunged from their taint and the whole plan falls short. Alphinaud is exposed as a complete fucking dumbass (once more) but learns his lesson before it's too late.

Sophie would be the biggest derail - Upon a single look at Urianger she'd just go "Nope. Fuck all y'all."

Even assuming she could get over her prejudices for him, she'd probably refuse to go after Garuda because fuck Gridania, signed every Duskwight ever.

Oh jeez, Sasati would let everything happen, but jesus ass balls would she not take it, uh, sitting.

(Joseph Campbell calls it "Refusing the Call".  SE could stand to read his stuff)

Nobody needs to read Campbell. *Heresy*

Personally I think that Verad and Aya would have made a terrific WoL duo, lucking their way to victory.

(Joseph Campbell calls it "Refusing the Call".  SE could stand to read his stuff)

Nobody needs to read Campbell. *Heresy*

Personally I think that Verad and Aya would have made a terrific WoL duo, lucking their way to victory.

Verad would hock the elemental crystals acquired from primal fights and use the Echo to bolster his Dubious Divination service.

Fighting Titan would involve a lot of screaming and running away until he somehow managed to make Titan trip and fall off his own arena.

I take it back.

I'm pretty sure Liadan would have snapped somewhere in Coerthas and just started defenestrating anyone who got in her way.  She was so done with those people pretty early into the questline there.

Graeham wished to become a diplomat and so he'd quite readily use his position as the Warrior of Light to fulfill that goal. After defeating more than one Primal he'd realistically be in a position to demand terms from the city states in exchange for his aid.

He'd also consider working alongside Gaius if need be - since in his eyes Eorzea is just as bad as Garlemald in many ways. Interestingly enough that's a point that will be reinforced for him if and when the situation in Ul'dah becomes common knowledge.

In his eyes Eorzea needs to be united but he's not prepared to wipe Garlemald off the map. He secretly loathes the people of Ala Mhigo complaining about the Garlean occupation since history shows they were the invaders themselves not too long ago. He also thinks that if the Garlean Empire could be persuaded to be a bit more diplomatic then the situation in Eorzea could improve dramatically via access to magitek in civilian life.