Mixed Feelings - HW, Lv 60, and Stuff

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me of how all the Wrath of the Lich King boxes advertise the dance studio and flying combat Blizzard never put in the game. 

It doesn't legally qualify as false advertising though; or at least, the accusation likely wouldn't get far in court. Proving a product's advertising exists in conflict with the parameters of the Lanham Act is already difficult enough without adding in the extremely nebulous nature of MMOs as commercial products.

If you feel that SE has committed consumer fraud, then this is a legitimate, actionable offense and you should contact the appropriate authorities.

Unless, of course, it's just hyperbole with no leg to stand on.

Then what do you call it, Verad? Because I call it lying. And you don't lie to people who give you money.

Also, might I point out the guy roleplaying a dubious salesman of all people is commenting on my stance against this behavior? I just thought that was hilarious.

LMAO. You have a fucking attitude.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/heavensward/#story__npc-02

Look at this website. This is what you paid for, and you got all of it. Stop whining and bullshitting SE, because they did a good job. This is an MMO, not Sims 3. They're not going to pack all the content in one patch and unleash it on the community.

No reason to put on your grumpy pants.

Edgar's wrong, no need to lynch him over it.

I just think the release pace is more obvious now, because people can gear/level up faster. When 2.0 dropped it was much harder to get gear/tomes/weapons etc. I wasn't i70 for at least a month, and I played a crapload.

I paid 50 bucks for this expansion, just for them to tell me Alexander and the new AF gear were not in the expansion, despite being part of the advertisements and even being selling points.

This is not a fucking kickstarter, Square. I paid for a finished game. I did not invest in a demo for a future release.

If you're going to be technical about it, they were in the expansion. SE just didn't turn them on. And they explicitly said they would not be immediately available, oh I don't know, a hundred times. Is two weeks really that much of a problem? It would have taken you nearly those two weeks just to get the i170 required to enter Alexander anyway. Would it have made much of a difference if they made it available to enter immediately even though it takes nearly 2 weeks to grind up to 60 and then gear out for it? You're acting like a petulant child.

Then what do you call it, Verad? Because I call it lying. And you don't lie to people who give you money.

They've mentioned multiple times that a) Law will be granted at 3.0 uncapped. b) Alexander will be dropped approximately 2 weeks after the launch IN ORDER FOR PEOPLE TO ENJOY THE MAIN STORY QUEST AND TO AVOID PEOPLE MAKING PEOPLE FEEL FORCED INTO SKIPPING CUTSCENES and c) Alexander Savage will be dropped approximately 2 more weeks after story mode along with esoterics which will be on a weekly limit and lock.

From what I gather this is much better than the darklight/myth grind? I wasn't around for 2.0. Law drops into peoples' laps like crazy.

You have far more chance on calling it misleading by addressing the new jobs being locked behind the main story quest. They've never said that Alexander would be available at launch. They have definitely said that it will be released after launch.

They learned from their mistakes. There's a wealth of content to keep us busy, multiple interesting ways to farm tomestones, and new hunts are relatively low stress. This is a great launch for the expac in a huge way. Back when I started, it was literally just "farm Amdapor Keep," then "farm Wanderer's Palace," and virtually nothing else.

Adding endgame content in a trickle is a smart business move for an MMO, since we don't want a huge chunk of the playerbase slicing through raids and dropping their sub when the first doldrums between patches rear their ugly head.

I think that it's a bit unfair the way people go on about Square being incompetent at writing or planning accessible content so often. This team pays an obsessive amount of attention to the game, updating it and adding content more frequently than almost any MMO developer in the market. They adjust more problems and patch more frequently with an almost psychotic degree of care, and Yoshi-P is one of the best directors out there. It is no surprise they are this obsessive, as that more or less saved the series and possibly Square itself. (To make up for the first version of the game nearly destroying it.) The 2.0 release had some issues but was fundamentally a solid game, and HW seems to build on that really nicely.

I agree with the above. I think SE did what they said they'd do, and im perfectly ok with this. I, for one paid for Heavensward knowing I was paying for 3.x - onward because from my knowledge

1.0 - legacy

2.0 - ARR

3.0 - Heavensward

It shoulda been obvious imo. Online MMORPGs don't dump everything in one go as not only would that overload but they'd be losing money via sub time and other things.

Id understand if SE started retracting stuff they promised due to excuses or something but they aren't. This mmo is perhaps the best one out right now. Praise Yoshi-P!

List of tiny gripes I have for the game at 60.

1) Research Facility doesn't drop gear.

I understand a bit why that is, but it's still a 60 dungeon that would have broken up the monotony between Neverreap and Fractal Continuum. 2 dungeons for grinding for gear/law is a surefire way to ensure people get bored of them.

2) Hunts are disproportionately better than expert roulette for gearing up.

3) Armory bonus 50+ is not scaled properly to the amount of XP you actually get / Northern Thanalan FATEs are giving entirely too much XP from 50-53.

Things that are not on this list -

Stuff tied to a release schedule that we knew from months before.

Brief reminder for people to stay on topic. If you'd like to argue about whether or not Heavensward is a complete game, please start a new thread.

I know what Melodia means; I too hate that feeling of "falling behind". It's why I had everything levelled, and the only reason I did raids was to experience the content so I didn't feel as if I were "missing out".

Heavensward has a lot of content. This is good. My personal hangup is that there's so much to keep up with. Again, that's not a problem with the game, but with my mentality of an MMO player of "must experience everything and stay on 'top' of the game", so when I end up developing a backlog of things to level or when I feel like I'm falling behind--not capping out a single week of Esoterics out of however many weeks long Esoterics will be relevant, for example--it feels terrible to me.

Overall I've pretty much just gotten more casual. I'm still a little stressed about the pace at which I do things--for example, I want to have more classes levelled for when Alexander comes out so I'll have an easier time switching roles and jobs to form a static--but it's not all that bad.

So, I finished the MSQ and I loved it. Lots of great stuff.

But I find myself with mixed emotions of the game now, and I am wondering if I am alone or if other veteran MMO players can relate. I am happy I finished, but I took my time and in a way feel a bit left behind others. Not in a negative way, but in a "Damn....I feel slow" way. I hit 60 and in a way it was a bit underwhelming. Maybe it was the lack of reward. When we hit 50 we got a cool set of armor, could start that relic quest, etc. Here, we just got a new skill and literally told "Your item level isn't high enough so go buy some gear or farm this dungeon."  So I felt a bit like "Oh....that's all?" at the end. Am I wrong for that? Just feel a bit conflicted there.

And with Alexander and the law tomes....I sort of feel like this game has become a world where the hunting groups thrive and folks who tend to be casual like myself, really, in a Darwinian sense, struggle to keep up with the game itself. And it's made me less excited to log in. And I hate that feeling. Lol. So someone talk to me.....am I wrong? Is this normal? I just feel like I was happy and disappointed all at the same time as this doesn't feel like the game I've loved for the past year plus. HALLLP!

I just hit 51 last night.... seriously.

I wouldn't sweat it.  In all honesty, it's not really that elitist of a game.  The only part of the game that's really out of reach for casual players is housing.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out what in the Hell SE was thinking with their housing.  It's the only part of the game that is that exclusionary, and it's a fairly important part of the game.  I'm thinking of writing a suggestion thread on the main forums for it.  It's pretty ridiculous.

Other than that, the whole game you can just take at your own pace.  Don't feel bad.  Just don't compare your gaming experience to someone else in terms of speed.  Good game content is like fine cuisine.  It's not something you're just supposed to wolf down so you can finish as quickly as possible.

I'm feeling a lot more stressed than I did before about Alexander Savage than I did with Coil.

At this point in time I only have an i170 SCH. It does not have a Hive Weapon. I've barely gotten 1 upgraded item and it's an accessory. The next highest level job I have is a lvl 57 WAR. Everything else is at 50 or 30 (yay new jobs)

Before, I was a BLM; however, I could also SCH and I could also PLD. I feel less of an asset than ever before. I feel a load more pressure than ever before.

Honestly when I first started I had AK, WP along with Haukke HM, Copperbell HM, and Pharos.T The last three I did not even touch until they were forced into a high roulette xD

They rain law tomes on me that I don't feel that bad but there was the hunts that I didn't do and hence did not get upgrades and I'm already feeling utter shit from that.

I paid 50 bucks for this expansion, just for them to tell me Alexander and the new AF gear were not in the expansion, despite being part of the advertisements and even being selling points.

This is not a fucking kickstarter, Square. I paid for a finished game. I did not invest in a demo for a future release.

This was intentional. They didnt want to give the already ahead characters more of a jump start to create an overly elitist beginning to an expansion.

We still got everything they promised. So, I dont see an issue.

It would have taken you nearly those two weeks just to get the i170 required to enter Alexander anyway. Would it have made much of a difference if they made it available to enter immediately even though it takes nearly 2 weeks to grind up to 60 and then gear out for it?

Some lucky poop-socking players with no connection issues had i170 shortly after the end of early access. They deliberately delayed the release of Alexander to specifically deter this kind of behavior and stop poop-socking players from pressuring more relaxed players to skip all cut-scenes and race to cap.

Also, might I point out the guy roleplaying a dubious salesman of all people is commenting on my stance against this behavior? I just thought that was hilarious.

Are you really using the character he RPs against him in an OOC discussion?

Also, you arn't even 60 yet... you can't do Alexander or wear AF anyway.

fliaqP6.jpg

Let's avoid the personal attacks and whatnot, please. :(

As I mentioned, I joined in well after the start of 2.0, so I had plenty to do when I hit 50. I - in some crazy addled mindset wrought from former raiding, likely - got all three of my characters to level 60 in about two weeks. Two of them hitting i170 just before Alexander dropped. And there's still stuff I "need" to do.

1.) Get all the weekly drops from Alexander on Gogon - I'm 3/4 and the fourth is what's currently driving me crazy. If I'm lucky, I get a Crank and I'll have a hat that I'll ultimately glamour over.

2.) Finish gearing up Chachan with the i170s - preferably get him the i180s so I can dye them and make it his new "IC" armor. Which means getting a lot of seals - either through A/S hunting (hahahahaha no, not in this environment of early pullers and ignored request for invites) or doing the daily hunts.

3.) Get Judge the freaking Baldur greatsword from the level 60 dungeons. There's a lot of aesthetically nice-looking gear in the dungeons and the game is being frustratingly difficult in letting me have them. It took, like, eight Library runs before I got the jacket I'm using for glamour purposes on Gogon (and I want to get ALL the jackets for color-coordinated uniformity once all my jobs are at 60).

4.) Level BSM/ARM on Chachan. You get a few +150% experience items you can use, and I burned through six of them (the three you get from continuing BSM and ARM respectively) plus a couple +50% ones to get him halfway to 54 BSM. Haven't even started on ARM yet.

Along with all of this, I still mainly got onto Balmung for RP after all... so I've been trying to keep an eye out for potential RP. So I actually feel more like I still have loads to do, rather than an "Is that all?" situation. Part of that may just be my situation - I'm "gearing" three different characters, and trying to max everything on one of them. But even then, I think there's still plenty of options of things to do once you've finished the MSQ.

- Gear up for (and try your hand at) Alexander.

- Start leveling up another class/job.

- Run through the dungeons for glamour loots and/or minions.

- Achievement hunting.

- Look over the lore and see if/how you can adapt it to your RP character.

- RP!

It may not be as fantastical as following the story of the MSQ, but it's all stuff you can do. And hopefully, by the time you've struck off most of the stuff on whatever list you make, enough time has passed for the new stuff to drop in. As I mentioned, I had only barely reached the iLevel requirement for Alex when it dropped.

And if you manage to knock it all out and you have some downtime? Sounds like more time for RP, to me. :lol:

I just started HW and find myself skipping all cutscenes. Pressure is the name of the game in mmos. Enjoyment is a mirage to be found further down the road.

You're missing out on a lot. The expansion's story is incredible and a vast improvement over ARR. Whilst you can certainly watch them later there's a lot of lore you'll potentially miss out on and major events won't serve to have the same impact as they would when experiencing them as originally intended.

Plus, as a role-player, I'd assume you'd be all the more eager to soak up everything and understand what is going on and what has changed throughout Eorzea.

I admit I'm a little baffled by your comment - why would you willingly throw enjoyment aside in favour of rushing when there's no real need to do so? It's a fast way to burn out and nurture contempt for the game. Not to mention the content isn't going anywhere anytime soon!

Each to their own I guess...

I just started HW and find myself skipping all cutscenes. Pressure is the name of the game in mmos. Enjoyment is a mirage to be found further down the road.

You're being silly.

Enjoy your cutscenes and take your time.

Absolutely no part of Alexander sounds like any fun, just misery and frustration exactly like coil. I've always hated how hunts work and refuse to stress myself out with running around and shouting and not getting invited to parties. I suppose I'm going to be in the same boat as the OP after I finish the main story and reach level 60. Since I almost always have to play the game alone, once single player content runs out and I get sick of random DF runs, I tend to stop playing and just RP. Maybe I start leveling all my 50 jobs to 60, but then when I remember I don't have the friends or playtimes required to endgame, I ask myself why I'm even bothering with it.

I'm only doing it because it's there, really. My main goal is to just do a High Level and Trial roulette a day for whatever class I'm leveling. Maybe a set of hunts if it's within its level range. That's about it.

Since I'm doing it for my own sense of accomplishment, and I have no real deadline on that, I don't feel any need to rush it. Heck, most of my crafting leveling on Gogon was "buy base materials, make the refined material (ingots, leather, etc), sell refined material, repeat." Which meant chatting and planning potential RP while making 99 Cobalt Ingots, for example.

It's only been, what, two weeks? Please don't burn yourselves out already, friends. Play the game at your own pace. Breakneck or otherwise, it's your sub and your time to enjoy as you please. Key word: ENJOY.

Well enough of the shitposting, thats my job.

Anyways, I'm sort of with the OP, however, like at 2.0s launch I'm going full steam ahead into crafting and gathering. In fact I have a 60 dragoon and I havent even unlocked the 60 dungeons. I dont give a shit about this games story either, I dont RP the WoL so it has no bearing on me. I even skipped every cutscene so I could level my dragoon as fast as possible to unlock zones for my miner so I could vacuum up the early adopters of crafting gil. It was a worthy trade off.

I run my RP FC, I make 10s of millions of gil, I craft, and I RP. The PVE grind for me, if it comes again, wont even start until after Alex Savage is long old and useless content.

Embrace your RP, but if thats not enough, I guess you should find other outlets as well OP. For me I have more than just RP to look forward to, crafts to work and money to make. If you only had RP and PVE grinding and the PVE seems a little shitty, just go play another game m8.

If I had this outlook, I think I'd find a different hobby. This sounds absolutely depressing.

If I had this outlook, I think I'd find a different hobby. This sounds absolutely depressing.

Haha. I feel I should clarify that my post was meant to drip sarcasm. (Internet and it's inability to give proper context).

That said, I loathe the MSQ.  Can't wait to be done with it so I can get back to all the stuff I do enjoy (pve content, rp, endgame, etc etc.)

So yes, it does feel like a chore, and like I'm delaying my enjoyment, but it'll all be worth it in the end. 

(But dang, that msq is such a drag!)