RP Confession Thread

Actual confession incoming.

I confess that, if anything about your character's backstory is something I find ridiculous or implausible, then I am probably going to avoid any kind of in-depth RP with your character regarding their background.  The result is that I am likely never going to have a deep and profound personal connection with your character, even if it would have made sense for that to happen in the context of our relationship.

So I guess this comes down to me being very critical of people's character backstories, maybe a little more than I should be.  It's just because I actually do avoid situations or stories that don't have credibility in my eyes because they're harmful to my immersion.  But it's definitely closed off some opportunities for me and caused me to alienate a few people.

Being critical seems to be your hat. xD

But I guess if you're very sensitive to things taking you out of the rp, I can understand that.

Myself, I am never "fully immersed." Writing is just another experience to me; I can get pretty invested, sure, but I'm also constantly comparing any work I enjoy with about a dozen other similar works as I watch it. It's like this idea of "dry" and "wet" enjoyment of entertainment media I heard on some site. Certain types of fans are able to simultaneously enjoy their hobby as a consumer and embrace it without shame, but at the same time pick apart and ridicule its flaws. It's this weird dissonance that most people can't deal with and leads them to abandon a hobby rather than stick with it, but some have addictive personalities and can't let go easily.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't immerse, don't value immersion, and find the emphasis on it in roleplay in terms of how best to achieve it and the quite-often minor things that disrupt it to be baffling.

Also, my very first RP I did when I came to Balmung?

A monologue with a vanilla cake. Sweet, delicious cake.

I had to start somewhere.

I was talking to a bottle while dancing on a quicksand table.

You're not alone my friend.

Wasn't quite my first but one of the first few things... Kage spoke to the Lalafell NPC that sits at the bar in the quicksand.

6) I have grown increasingly weary toward the attitude that in order to be involved in RP, one must merely force your character into on-going scenes, events, and conversations. While I am aware that the onus is on me when it comes to forcing my way into a scene rather than waiting around to being invited, anyone who has been forgotten during one of these situations can tell you that it is not so easy. The ability to read the mood and atmosphere of a scene is an important one. More often than not, saying "just jump in!" is far easier said than done. Much like a game of group jump rope, no one will turn to the kid with notably poor athletic and coordination abilities and say "come on, jump in!" when it will cause your RP to (figuratively) look like this:

uCEvj9p.jpg

No one wants to interrupt a fun group conversation that has nothing to do with them and cause it to go awry for any number of reasons (too many people = chaos, disjointed reactions due to different typing speeds, sudden interruption can cause a shift in subject change resulting in dispersion of the RP). I cannot imagine most people would want to interrupt an intense, dramatic scene between two characters that would ultimately blue-ball them from any resolution and development.

Of course, these situations are not always (not even usually) the case, but I would urge those who wonder and scoff at RPers when they are hesitant to involve themselves to re-examine the scene and the context of them doing so. Sometimes, it is not always the best choice, and far and away from the easiest one.

Edit: I don't want to start an off topic convo! I'll just say that was well said Edda!

Confessions:

• I do screen patrons at the Quick Sand trying to pick out RPers, because I can't get to everyone and would rather prioritize those who will enjoy it.
  • I try not to spend too much time talking to friends while barmaiding, but sometimes I just cannot help it.
  • I often feel bad when people come by to see me at the Quicskand and end up waiting for a while because I am tending to customers.
  • I am sometimes mistaken for someone looking for ERP rather than "just a barmaid" as one such patron once put it - but probably much less often than you think!
  • I am pretty good at just smiling and nodding when encountering something unbelievable or immersion breaking.
  • I love meeting new people, this may not sound like a confession but it is really true!
  • I really enjoy it when people are convinced that Aya is just a smiling bubbly blonde!
  • I like to stand around in Ul'dah when I don't feel like barmaiding to see if anyone comes up to me to RP. It happens sometimes, but not often. For whatever reason, it is far more successful when she is sitting at her favorite bench!
  • I often prefer to RP in made up settings such as cafes and tea houses, because I feel like the areas provided to us in Ul'dah do not well capture the day-to-day life of a non-adventurer like Aya.
  • The only thing I like more than receiving a new rumor on my wiki, is writing one for someone else. Especially if it is amusing, pithy, or just is darn characteristic !

Oh boy, I have a long list of confessions:

1) Despite having RPed for almost 15 years, I can barely look back to RP I did last week without cringing. 

2) When I get into RP with people that I regret starting the RP with, I tend to keep playing with them, even if I hate it, if the character would stick around

3) Unlike Aaron above, I tend to get a little nervous when I get a compliment. Because it reminds me that other people are reading my RP, and then I go back to see what I wrote.

4) Simple typos don't annoy me, but complete word replacement over and over makes me want to correct the person. Which I never do.

5) On that end, I have completely rewritten a post because I made a typo in the middle of it somewhere, and had to take care of it

6) I have a bad habit of not approaching people that have "Walk up RP welcome" because they look busy, when in fact they are just sitting there

7) Sometimes I feel that in game mechanics should have nothing to do with the story

That is all that I can think of off the top of my head. Oh wait, one more.

8) When I am in a chat and I am the last one to respond, I feel responsible for the chat having died. I guess that is less RP related, and more OOC, but still.

1) I still recall my first RP experience in a game, and after years of Forum RP it was horribly, horribly bad. Playing City of Heroes, my character's story was (the more I think about it) a complete rip-off of Wolverine, minus the near-immortality. But that wasn't the worst of it. The worst was CoH gave players a 'Hero License' with a bio section that you could fill-out and view in-game. When the other people asked my character "what's your story?" I said, IC, "Just read my card." *facepalm* I cringe thinking back to it.

2) I'm not ashamed to admit I have participated in more *ahem* racy RP. :blush: However it is an extremely rare occurrence and only between characters established as a romantic couple, with both players and characters of legal age and consenting to the act.

3) I adore tiny characters. 9/10 times the lore and attitude for the small races are the best/closest to what I personally would love to be a part of. But I just cannot deal with the low camera angles, so I avoid playing them, so I feel like I'm missing out.

4) I'm very passive with RP until I've engaged with someone once before. In my early WoW days before I found my group there, I would sit in the RP hot spots and basically just emote various stretches/sighs to get attention. Lately it's become just standing/sitting in silence instead. Hopefully FFXIV will be a new leaf for me in this regard.

5) I will instantly full-stop all RP with you if a single "u", "r", "lol" or any other shorthand/1337 makes its way out of OOC brackets. I don't subscribe to any "/tell is OOC" philosophy. If the chat isn't global, it's IC unless I see "()" "(())" "[]" or any other indication of OOC!

6) First-Person RP is just weird to me. I'm all for immersion and putting yourself into your character, but if it's all "I" and "You" for actions, then it's gone too far.

3) I adore tiny characters. 9/10 times the lore and attitude for the small races are the best/closest to what I personally would love to be a part of. But I just cannot deal with the low camera angles, so I avoid playing them, so I feel like I'm missing out.

You're damn right you're missing out. C'mon, it'll be fun.

Now that I think about it, unless I've spoken to em before, I have a tendency to panic a metric fuckton whenever I see someone here in game. 

Example. /random

"Holy shit it's -insert poster name saaayy uhhh warren-, [fuck what do I do(x5)]"

*proceeds with the pants browning and eventual walking away or perma paralysis*

I swear to nald and thal I feel like I'm going to get judged the moment I open mouth. Much anxiety.

Of course, these situations are not always (not even usually) the case, but I would urge those who wonder and scoff at RPers when they are hesitant to involve themselves to re-examine the scene and the context of them doing so. Sometimes, it is not always the best choice, and far and away from the easiest one.

Just jump in! It'll be awkward as balls and you'll ruin the scene for everyone else involved!

that is not exactly a great selling point.

5) I will instantly full-stop all RP with you if a single "u", "r", "lol" or any other shorthand/1337 makes its way out of OOC brackets. I don't subscribe to any "/tell is OOC" philosophy. If the chat isn't global, it's IC unless I see "()" "(())" "[]" or any other indication of OOC!

Even if I'm RPing a defective Mammet?

Every time I get complimented or a /tell saying thanks for the rp I feel like this.

xgz9nkR.gif

Second unrelated confession is I absolutely love this gif

I dont know why but this had me laughing :D I understand what you mean though ! I always love these occasions ! Also cheers for being around for my first seal rock win ! I recoginsed you from here but did not say anything because I was too busy dying O:

Every time I get complimented or a /tell saying thanks for the rp I feel like this.

xgz9nkR.gif

I dont know why but this had me laughing :D I understand what you mean though ! I always love these occasions ! Also cheers for being around for my first seal rock win ! I recoginsed you from here but did not say anything because I was too busy dying O:

Did you hear me say the N word? If you did IM SO SORRY!

Im not ghetto i swear I-I just like screaming stuff when pvping ;_;

But anyway thanks! Im a Maelstrom win god so we always get Wins when im around >:D

xgz9nkR.gif

But anyway thanks! Im a Maelstrom win god so we always get Wins when im around >:D

Yes - that's right i was the one who said "Hyur, pls" :D

xgz9nkR.gif

I was in there as well, but I was too busy keeping your sorry asses alive with my heals :P

xgz9nkR.gif

I was in there as well, but I was too busy keeping your sorry asses alive with my heals :P

And neither of y'all said hey to me? Okay okay it's cool.

hqdefault.jpg

I see how it is

I. I hate going into new RP communities, it means getting to learn hidden traditions, unspoken rules, and (eventually) finding out the bad apples of the community.

II. On the flipside, I love exploring new RP communities as I get to meet tons of people I never would have had the chance of meeting! This brings along so many new opportunities to create new stories, characters, and even improve the quality of my own writing by collaborating with others!

III. The few times I've RPed so far, I've been very anxious whenever anything lore-related comes up mainly because I have next-to-no clue on most of it and don't wish to convey a character that wouldn't (though that may be a possibility).

IV. I seriously want to RP a Chocobo Knight, but I know that dream is probably never going to come true. I have been informed that my dream can come true and I will eventually hatch into a beautiful Chocobo Knight.