RP Confession Thread

I haven't rp'd before, ever, and I swear to god and doge almighty I still have no idea what the hell i'm doing most of the time. I just...roll with it. I like to roll with things and it makes some really shitty things for Kat meanwhile vaguely interesting scenarios for me. 

Also I have a habit of biting more off more than I can chew in terms of rp.

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8. This one might offend more people than necessary, but I usually avoid characters that don't match the OOC player's sexuality because of how unrealistically they are portrayed. I found that gay people roleplaying heterosexual or bisexual characters roleplay them rather poorly, often making these characters come off as ridiculously cartoony (And more often than not, their characters eventually end up going exclusively for the same sex anyway.) This also applies to straight roleplayers roleplaying gay or "bisexual" characters. Most players can't roleplay a character that doesn't match their sexuality. I also despise how 9/10 times straight men roleplaying lesbians (and straight women roelplaying gay men) do these characters to fulfill their homoerotic fantasies. It's sexualizing and degrading to the LGBT community. So if you're one of these people, chances are that I have judged you. Have I met rpers who managed to rp a different sexuality realistically? Yes, but it's extremely rare.

9. I may or may not have shed a tear once or twice during really emotionally intensive moments for characters. I'm kind of a sucker for tragedy. I'm the kind of person who watches Titanic ten times and enjoys every single tear that rolls down my cheek.

10. Most people irl think I'm very cold and emotionally detached from everyone. I cringe at the thought of any of them seeing my more sensitive side. Sobbing and getting all warm and fuzzy over RP.

Confessions, confessions, hm.

Well, I suppose I can start with the same thing everyone else has - I started back on AOL chats for online RP, but my very first full RP experience was a 2nd Edition DnD game where I basically played myself as a wizard. It... wasn't as cringe-worthy as you might expect, but the group fell apart when my parents wanted to keep me away from the game for a while - so I've always held this slightly egotistical view that I was keeping the group together. :blush:

As for current RP, there's a few things I could probably fess up about.

1. I have this horrible need to have to explain why my character would be somewhere. I actively shoot myself in the foot here and there because I want to RP with someone, but they're over "there" and my character is over "here" and I somehow get it into my head that I can't have it happen because there's no IC reason for my character to be over there. Which conflicts with another sort of hypocritical issue I have:

2. I really want to try and roll with all the punches that get thrown my way. Improve my improv and general RP skills - but I'm generally not very good at it, resulting in situations where something is happening and I'm just sort of... standing there doing nothing or providing meager input as I try to figure out how I want to have my characters handle it. And if it's suitably off-kilter or wacky enough - the "one-way-to-win Berserker" or the NPC that was haphazardly discarded by having them take a tumble to their death - I'll resort to complaining about it more than working with it. Which gets worse as this flows into:

3. I really don't like blocking people, and rather try to deal with them ICly as part of Part 2. However, this also means I'm purposefully putting myself in annoying situations from time to time and then will openly complain about it later. Even worse, the general solution of "blacklist them" oftentimes just irks me and I get all defensive about it. :(

4. Like several others, I'm rather nervous and timid about initiating RP. I don't want to interrupt anything, I worry that I might not have anything to actually bring to the RP, and I even worry that the other person or people involved might not even like my character. Add this to Confession #1, and you have someone who often fails to get that RP they yearn for. So, I instead just quietly ask over LS or FC chat "Hey, anyone wanna RP?" and then fade into silence and go back to FATE grinding or leveling Chachan's crafting classes.

And, um... well... there's one more that I feel the most awkward about mentioning...

5. I've... err... I've ERPed before. In AOL chat, on IRC. And, well... enjoyed it. And sometimes get into the mood for it even now and end up in this odd mental situation that ultimately results in me just quietly stewing in this weird quagmire of emotions. It's a combination of yearning and horrible ashamed embarrassment to go seeking what ultimately seems like little more than carnal wish-fulfillment. Not to mention that 2/3s of my characters are Lalafell and, thus, not the sort most would want to get that into that sort of situation with - along with my own still-inherent story-flow preference of wanting it to be romantically and organically driven if it ever happens rather than just ERP for the sake of ERP.

And yet I still feel super-awkward for thinking about wanting to have my characters get their rocks off from time to time. To the point that I've thought about just deleting this entire confession no less than four (five now) times while writing it. I just feel like... it makes me a horrible RPer due to the negative connotations put on ERP in general. And mean that even fewer people will actually want to RP with me because they'll think I'm just trying to get into their pants or something. :cry:

1. I have this horrible need to have to explain why my character would be somewhere. I actively shoot myself in the foot here and there because I want to RP with someone, but they're over "there" and my character is over "here" and I somehow get it into my head that I can't have it happen because there's no IC reason for my character to be over there.

There is absolutely nothing "horrible" about this, or you are calling me horrible for doing this as well. I frankly wouldn't even consider it a confession... It's just common sense that should be in every good roleplayer. Roleplaying is acting, it's writing a script, it's directing your own movie. If a movie character you were watching suddenly moved to point A to point B without reason whatsoever, wouldn't you yell "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING THERE NOW?!" at the screen? I know I would.

So yeah, don't be ashamed of that, it's a good trait.

---------------- Also, new confession:

I once saw an IC partner of an RP friend of mine ICly cheat on them... And didn't say anything. Because I was in that location OOC at the time. Oh, but I wish I had been there IC <.<

1. I have this horrible need to have to explain why my character would be somewhere. I actively shoot myself in the foot here and there because I want to RP with someone, but they're over "there" and my character is over "here" and I somehow get it into my head that I can't have it happen because there's no IC reason for my character to be over there.

There is absolutely nothing "horrible" about this, or you are calling me horrible for doing this as well. I frankly wouldn't even consider it a confession... It's just common sense that should be in every good roleplayer. Roleplaying is acting, it's writing a script, it's directing your own movie. If a movie character you were watching suddenly moved to point A to point B without reason whatsoever, wouldn't you yell "WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING THERE NOW?!" at the screen? I know I would.

Well, the usual response I get is to just BS a reason why the character would be way over there. Or not even worry about a reason and just toss them there regardless. Not to mention there's others who will do stuff like that and have their characters suddenly in the middle of Coerthas to get that sweet-sweet RP I desire so much. So it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong, at least, by being so stringent on where my characters are and where they could be. :(

5. I prefer to remain IC while logged in and react to players and the world in a more organic way rather than acting out "scenarios". To me, that's more akin to stage acting than RP, though I suppose its really just a question of preference.

6. People who ERP don't really bother me so long as they don't harass me with it and aren't just openly banging out in the open, like right in the Aetheryte plaza or something.

7. I might get some flak for this, but...I cringe a bit whenever I read a wiki or meet a character who has a "dark/super tragic" backstory. Minus double points if it makes the character all "angsty." It just seems like these types are everywhere and its getting a little old.

8. I'm silently judging you for your misspellings and improper use of grammar in your wiki.;) Not so much in-game though as you don't often have the time to proofread as thoroughly as a wiki.

9. I think players who can have their characters carry on a conversation while walking have crazy mad RP skills. I can't do that and I respect others' ability to do so.

10. I allow for a certain level of meta when RPing solo so I can suddenly go from an open field or city to a dungeon (duty finder) without it bothering me or disrupting my RP experience. Put simply: my immersion is only disrupted when I allow it to be. It would take the game crashing to pull me out of immersion against my will.

Also a confession that should get rid of any uncertainty.

If your girl character is hot, Aaron's probably looking at her. He was staring at Ritsu in a swim suit the other day and it was just funny how he did it in front of everyone. 

Anyone who says you can't be loner and still check out girls is a goddamn lie.

Well, the usual response I get is to just BS a reason why the character would be way over there. Or not even worry about a reason and just toss them there regardless. Not to mention there's others who will do stuff like that and have their characters suddenly in the middle of Coerthas to get that sweet-sweet RP I desire so much. So it makes me feel like I'm doing something wrong, at least, by being so stringent on where my characters are and where they could be. :(

I relate to this a lot. Sounsyy can neither teleport (weak aetherially) nor fly (terrified of flying), so this really limits her movements realistically. So I mostly just RP her as being in transit between Limsa and Ul'dah most of the time. I like to keep my options open to be in those places, but can be hard when I've got something I wanna do in Ul'dah and my character is doing something in Limsa.

Currently Sounsyy is out in the middle of the Indigo Deep and has been for a little over a month now doing a plot, which explains my RP absence. Eventually, she's going to wash up in the Hinterlands. And I'll have to RP her trying to make her way back to "civilized" Eorzea. In the meantime, really missing Grindstone. ; ;

As for my own confessions?

1 - I'm a terribad para-RPer. And it's not that I'm a slow typer, but it takes me forever to think of what to type. /trying to get better about short posts.

2 - XIV is first MMO I've had the guts (kinda) to jump into open world RP. I've done it passingly in other MMOs, but meh. Strangers are terrifying.

3 - I post lore stuff on the forums. In RP, I'm really not a stickler for strict lore-compliance. Some of my favorite RPers take something that's vaguely justifiable in lore and make something super creative out of the grey area. I love that kind of thing!

4 - I like reading people's wikis. And usually have a huge bout of "I WANNA ARRRPEEE WITH THEM SO HARD" shortly after.

Yeah, I wanted to do the "can't teleport" thing but instead just settled for it making her sick, being unable to do it alone, and sometimes teleporting into the wrong place, or into the air. I just couldn't give up the convenience because so many events had too much time constraint to realistically use the airship. I still kind of want to do it though.

There is absolutely nothing "horrible" about this, or you are calling me horrible for doing this as well. I frankly wouldn't even consider it a confession...

I believe you are misunderstanding where the horrible comes from. It is not the act or person doing the act that is horrible.

"Horrible need" is a figure of speech used to describe a desire that one has that we perceive others might see as unnecessary or irrational.

I have had others give me a similar sentiment (Aetheryte travel etc). This is true for Kage who is actually able to do so (he has the gil for the fees but most especially he has the aether to do so) but in the current moment he's going to be in the Ishgardian areas. Someone had casually mentioned that there was nothing to stop me from having Kage travel to and from Ishgard to the Grindstone every week, but per the character he doesn't feel it's safe to do so. In other times that was easy but currently his mindset is 'can't go out too far away'.

It's just simply a matter of figuring out even the tiniest of hooks. Sure a character might hate x-city-state. But perhaps they had to track someone down there or perhaps a story arc forces them to, the story repercussions and character development is delightful.

In fact, someone I know plays a character that absolutely abhors Ishgard. Kage tried to get him there through any means (some much more beneficial to Kage than the other and some were to perhaps help dive into the character). Instead of what I imagined, the character is there and it's sorta the usual time-to-be-mean-to-Kage way. >.>

4 - I like reading people's wikis. And usually have a huge bout of "I WANNA ARRRPEEE WITH THEM SO HARD" shortly after.

PLEASE ARRRPEEE WITH ME... JUST NOT AT 3AM *hug* WASH UP AND KAGE CAN BE THERE?!

Also a confession that should get rid of any uncertainty.

If your girl character is hot, Aaron's probably looking at her. He was staring at Ritsu in a swim suit the other day and it was just funny how he did it in front of everyone. 

Anyone who says you can't be loner and still check out girls is a goddamn lie.

This was actually pretty awesome. I think you brought up a real good point about it, and was honestly very entertaining xD.

1.) I tend to get involved in more subplots that I can handle, but still do my best.

2.) I still try to through down a /duel flag on someone being a tough guy, being of mind that if you want to be a bad ass, you gotta prove it... can't do that here so stuck with dice rolls.

3.)I love talking to others about story angles, even if I never get to be involved.

4.) I love to watch, sometimes I like to sit back and just watch others interact quietly. sometimes just adding background ambiance.

More confessions:

There are two reasons I tend to take a small bit in replies in RP.

1. I'm trying to keep up with the pace but I type slow and I tend to think about how it flows, etc. I'll end up using backspace almost every entry.

2. I'm sorta just basking in the scene. I get caught up in the RP, getting caught up in being a reader and not an active participant.

11. It seems that I either RP really well, or extremely horribly. I am extremely insecure and paranoid about the latter, as I can tell when my RP is sub-par. I know people out there probably think I'm a terrible rper because they caught me on these bad days, and the thought of that makes me cringe wand want to smash my face against a brick wall.

12. I am too paranoid about being slow, so I sometimes type as fast as possible without proof-reading. This can lead to awkward posts/typos. I am slowly working on this.

Confession number two....

I try to avoid people who can't type a proper sentence. Not saying someone whose first lanuage isn't obviously English but those who are and end up making my eyes burn. Lowercase I((s)), periods in the middle of sentences, completely mispelled words, and more cause me to steer away from people. It is mean, I know but if it hurts to rp with someone I am going to avoid it.

((I am sure I make other people's eyes bleed and they avoid which I am okay with))

I try to avoid people who can't type a proper sentence. Not saying someone whose first lanuage isn't obviously English but those who are and end up making my eyes burn. Lowercase I((s)), periods in the middle of sentences, completely mispelled words, and more cause me to steer away from people. It is mean, I know but if it hurts to rp with someone I am going to avoid it.

((I am sure I make other people's eyes bleed and they avoid which I am okay with))

You mean shit like:

Sasha Rochester looks into , your eyes as her gaze looksintoyour eyes as she smiles as she says: the choice is you'res!..

You're welcome.

#2. I got my start roleplaying online via those old Angelfire sites, specifically Dragonball Z. Let the judging begin. Future Trunks, mostly, before anyone asks. After that it was D&D and Whitewolf games (Aberrant, Hunter, Werewolf) with college friends. City of Heroes was released not long after that and I've been hooked ever since.

#3. I'm very self conscious when it comes to my writing or RP'ing, especially with someone new for the first dozen or two times we RP. I apologize if I've been 'that friend' who annoyingly asks if something was good/fun/enjoyable too much.

#4. If you have a wiki in your signature and have said something I thought was funny/interesting/agreed with/saw randomly...I've probably read said page. I really would like to add rumors and things on pages to let people know they were being read but more often than not it's people I've never rp'd with or seen ingame.

People who have talked to me on Skype might know this, but here we go.

My confession:

I love being wrong about the lore ICly and having people correct/scold my character. It doesn't happen very often any more, partly because he's quite a bit older and cautious about what he talks about, but its still nice to see it happen.

On the other hand it can be frustrating trying to explain to people that yes, I know the history behind Limsa Lominsa, that doesn't change that the character thinks its a city of pillaging whore mongers lead by a overly crass and wizened crone who would rather sink her island to the bottom of the ocean than give over its control.

1. I assume the worst of everyone when it comes to public RP. I never go to RP hubs anymore unless I'm playing an 'unf***able' character. This doesn't mean a character who people can't bang if they try, it's someone they don't WANT to bang, so I can see their true colours.

2. Unless you're Archeage, your noble and military scene means JACK to me. I will immediately dismiss any form of social or military power as I highly doubt several hundreds of people would serve under your asinine lord or commander. If you're a NICE person, I'll treat you the same, and for that, I apologise.

3. In my earlier years in RP, I used to work with others as we messed with the lore to play vampires in WoW..yeah.

4. Hormonal teenage years, oh boy. Those were the days I ERP'd. If ya ask me, I'm not sure whether it's healthy or creepy that one admits to bashing the bishop for another straight man's pixelated visualised literature whilst being underage.

5. I juggle RP guilds in several games, and good lord, does that tick some of them off.

6. I will reference a Team Fortress 2 character at least once every two weeks in RP.

1) When arranging for RP with a player I am not familiar with, I comb through the forums and wiki to see not only what their character is like but also to get an idea of what the player might be like.

2) I generally can't say "no" when people I don't know ask me to RP with them. But that often leave me in the quandry of trying to think up an interesting scene/hook/twist/something/anything for that random encounter. It often delays the actual meeting, some don't even end up happening for whatever reason and I feel bad about it. I should sometimes just tell myself "oh just let it happen, it doesn't have to lead to anything." But as others have mentioned in another RP thread, context is so SO important to me.

3) I have a list of people I want to RP with that I haven't gotten the chance to yet. The list comes from browsing through the RPC where there are players/characters I really want to encounter somehow, and yet I can't think of a proper context in my character's current timeline/story to do so! So... I don't. But I read their IC/OOC posts on the RPC and go "-sigh- someday!"

4) I am horrible about spontaneous open world RP. I used to just walk around Ul'dah in my early days, or read a book in the Quicksand and open myself up to random encounters. Now... everything is scheduled ahead of time. I kind of miss those days, but I also recognize that my character's story is at a point where she doesn't just hang out at a bar. And my online playtime has to be balanced between RP and PvE so, prearranging RP seems to work the best for me.

3) I have a list of people I want to RP with that I haven't gotten the chance to yet. The list comes from browsing through the RPC where there are players/characters I really want to encounter somehow, and yet I can't think of a proper context in my character's current timeline/story to do so! So... I don't. But I read their IC/OOC posts on the RPC and go "-sigh- someday!"

Gazes longingly at a huge list of contacts and potential scenarios drafted up in onenote over the last year an more

m-m-maybe tomorrow...

You mean shit like:

Sasha Rochester looks into , your eyes as her gaze looksintoyour eyes as she smiles as she says: the choice is you'res!..

You're welcome.

More like...

"i aren't sure wut ur talkin aboot." He smiles his hand moven for her hand. "Your cutie."

More like...

"i aren't sure wut ur talkin aboot." He smiles his hand moven for her hand. "Your cutie."

"oooo my hehehe" she blushes smilin "your so nice" OwO 

Confession #13: I sometimes get on alts and do really cancerous emotes like this to make people around me cringe OOCily. I have gotten angry tells. "Wtf, how can you rp, you can't even spell."

I... I take sick pleasure in this.

Gazes longingly at a huge list of contacts and potential scenarios drafted up in onenote over the last year an more

m-m-maybe tomorrow...

-is silently jealous of the drafts of potential scenarios-

Oh and one more confession:

5) Sometimes I am waaaaay too self-conscious about leaving rumors on people's wikis. I love DOING it, but I want them to be insightful! Significant! ....Then too many times what I end up leaving does not measure up anywhere near what I had hoped to think up for them.