If beauty is subjective, who defines the beauty of your character?

LadyRochester

I design dresses as one of my side jobs so when asking for details from a custoemr i scream when told "I want the dress to be pretty."  With all the parts of a dress rp characters are the same thing. I can't make a good one liner like. "Your turquoise eyes pull me in like the sea." if you just discribe them as pretty! Ugh...

On another note. Zach has a lot of scars. Across his chest and arms. Yet I' have to add that to his description or emote that when he reveals his upper torso because FF needs more texture designs! ;-;

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But then the character creator wouldn't cooperate.  At best, in game she looks dirty and boyish; the most I can hope for is 'plain' but most people consider her 'cute.'

Yeah this is it really... there is nowhere near enough variability in in-game appearance of models.  In my opinion people that either do not use or do not consider descriptions are doing themselves a disservice, and limiting their power of imagination.  If you only imagine other characters and even scenes in their specific, limited, in-game form, you are simply missing out.  There is a much wider world of RP out there.

That said, descriptions that are qualitative rather than descriptive are not as helpful.  No one should presume a quality such as beauty, and so on.  They may be useful as quick shorthand, but they do not hold much power or meaning in trying to fuel the imagination.  "Beautiful" should be the assumed normal in RP land (just like in movie-land) anyway ^^.

This thread exists because RPers are spiteful, contrarian little shits who don't like being told what to do - but only if they're told to view a character positively.

There is no quibbling over "ugly." There is no quibbling over other vague descriptors that imply other informed traits like "sickly" or "plain." It is only when a player dares suggest a character is viewed in a positive fashion that players get their hackles up and start fleeing to the warm, inviting confines of subjectivity.

This is the wit thread, redux.

This thread exists because RPers are spiteful, contrarian little shits who don't like being told what to do - but only if they're told to view a character positively.

There is no quibbling over "ugly." There is no quibbling over other vague descriptors that imply other informed traits like "sickly" or "plain." It is only when a player dares suggest a character is viewed in a positive fashion that players get their hackles up and start fleeing to the warm, inviting confines of subjectivity.

I think that's a little unfair.

People tend to react fine to such things. It's only when demands are made based on looks. 

"My character is pretty!" seems not to be an issue, "Your character must find mine attractive" is. Or taken to it's extreme, "Your character should act a certain way based on that."

I like complaining about the character creator at any opportunity I get!

/rabble

That said, when it comes to ugly, it means a lot of tedious repetition. People assume attractive, or at least average. They do (average is average for a reason, after all). If I want people to think otherwise without a glaringly obvious image in front of them, I have to provide specifics. Frequently. It gets old.

Beauty is more than physical description.  Some people might be physically attractive, but the moment they open their mouths, it doesn't matter how attractive their features might be.  They're ugly in every sense of the word, and even their features may appear unattractive once you've heard what is in their heart.

Beauty is more than physical description.  Some people might be physically attractive, but the moment they open their mouths, it doesn't matter how attractive their features might be.  They're ugly in every sense of the word, and even their features may appear unattractive once you've heard what is in their heart.

This message brought to you by disney movies.

I think something like this is mostly just left up to the mind of the person you're roleplaying with and their in-character idea of 'is the person pretty or not because I think they are.'

You can roleplay your character with a description, mentality that defines them as your personal ideal of handsome to a point where they have the attitude that matches them knowing something like that but to the next person you might aswell be some mediocre peasant while to another you're an arabian prince riding a white steed that attracts women like a brand new lamborgini.

This message brought to you by disney movies.

Actually, it was brought to you by Elliot Rodger.

I don't see what's wrong with it, tbh. Yes, beauty is subjective but if someone describes their character as 'beautiful' I picture the western societal idea: average weight with curves, pore less skin, no under eye circles, no blemishes, no unsightly moles, a nose that isn't too long but isn't pugish, full lips, symmetrical features, and optionally: a light touch of make up.

In particular, flawless complexion.

I'm on the fence on just how subjective beauty is though at this point in my life. There seems to be cultural differences for sure but a lot of factors for beauty seem dependent on how healthy a person is. Health can go hand in hand with complexion so that would make sense.

That isn't to say that I think magazine models are perfect examples of beauty, though.

The way I tend to do it is, I give a character certain traits to shoot for a certain level of attractiveness/unattractiveness according to conventional beauty standards. And then I let people judge it as they may!

For instance, I don't view Ojene as unattractive by any means, but she certainly doesn't match American beauty standards. Now, whether or not other people's characters see her as such is entirely up to them.

When someone refers to their character as "attractive" or "unattractive," I use much the same notion to judge how my character reacts. What they say gives me a good idea of how the character is supposed to be judged (probably according to conventional standards of beauty), and then based on my characters' tastes/judgement, they behave accordingly.

My character is supposed to be creepy and gloomy, but SE's character creator gave me a very cute kitty person. I usually try to throw in with emotes info like Jana's posture or sunken eyes (or on the more positive side, her toned muscles because Miqo'te don't get that slider).

My character is supposed to be creepy and gloomy, but SE's character creator gave me a very cute kitty person. I usually try to throw in with emotes info like Jana's posture or sunken eyes (or on the more positive side, her toned muscles because Miqo'te don't get that slider).

Her mask actually goes a long way towards making her creepy!

I RP primarily via body language, expressions, and dialogue. "Beauty" and "attraction" can come from that, given that all our base models are pretty by default. So if someone does not like Kale's personality, I'm happy for others to think he's not attractive.

Failing that...well, you could always throw money at artwork...

I RP primarily via body language, expressions, and dialogue. "Beauty" and "attraction" can come from that, given that all our base models are pretty by default. So if someone does not like Kale's personality, I'm happy for others to think he's not attractive.

Failing that...well, you could always throw money at artwork...

Kale is a big jerk!!!! :c

- Evangeline

Well, I mean obviously people are going to have different tastes in what they find attractive. That goes with my character too. He's a look some people love, some people don't love as much lol. And I understand that. Who defines the beauty of a character? I think it's the society in the lore more than anything from a IC perspective. Sometimes I think it leaks OOC influences too. What people like OOC, they transfer to their characters.

I have my own IRL preferences in what I like. Ryanti's preferences deviate from mine in places. When it comes to descriptions in wikis and stuff about people being pretty or ugly, I take that from a societal perspective. In other words, if a wiki/description describes someone as beautiful, then I take it as they are considered beautiful in their culture. What is beautiful in Ul'Dah may be different in Limsa, etc.

Ryanti has his own unique tastes. Sometimes they don't match the majority. I mean sure he's found the commonly accepted pretty ones pretty. But he's also found people that find themselves 'not considered the most pretty' ... pretty.

So if a RP'er describes someone as beautiful or ugly, I kind of absorb that message as 'this is what society thinks of him/her', but then I run it by Ryanti's mind after that and sometimes the results are different.

Her mask actually goes a long way towards making her creepy!

The mask is a step in the right direction and I'm glad people dig my use of it, but Jana is actually more confident when she wears it. Problem is, the times she isn't wearing it tend to outnumber when she does, and I worry I'm not putting enough effort into making her look the way she does to me for others to "see" in their memory of her.

I like to describe the parts of a character's appearance that stand out, and let the other character come to their own conclusions about it. I think that if someone uses "beautiful" to describe their character, they're referring to the general cultural expectations of the character's background, or the setting overall. Though usually I try to account for differing preferences. I could see some Ul'dahn Lalafell finding Virara fascinating because of her odd height, so I described her as having a statuesque sort of beauty, but I also think there are those who feel threatened by taller women, or find her frigid-looking. Not everyone will react the same way, I think.

It's lucky however that I don't really need to engage with perceptions coming the other way. Virara does not really have much of an interest in romance, so all of her observations are generally objective things or her personal impression, like "you're weak-looking," or "you're fat," or "you look strong," "your eyebrows are big," etc. There really isn't any room for like or dislike physically; all of the things that draw her inexplicably to another person are mental/emotional.

I usually describe characters with the base facts about them, with very little opinion-based descriptions. Things like saying a character is pretty ripped would mean all manner of things to a person, but the general idea is that they would have some muscle and a six/eight pack.

Things that boil down to the emotional side of things however..

Engineer: Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy.

Strangely this seems quite profound to me since it's quite right, and someone may find a common man/woman with a scarred face more attractive than a well-bred lord/lady of the same age and race.

The same goes for fear, and sometimes even smell as some people might find certain scents repulsive whilst others are drawn to it.

To put words like 'beauty' in to describe a person seems quite arrogant in my eyes, as it's up to the others to determine whether they are beautiful or not via a state of opinion, and anyone who attempts to force anything like that on me will be met with IMMEDIATE disdain, and will have their 'beautiful' features ignored in RP or generally placed in a comical light to downgrade the level of seriousness that RPer has put in their character.

Everyone will have an opinion of whether a character is beautiful based on the person's description of their character in Roleplay. Which is, pardon the pun, the beauty of it.

For my part, this is how A'rklonn views himself, which is all that matters to him.

Edit: Stupid links, ugh. Just watch the I'm Too Sexy video, you'll get the idea. xD