A Show Of Hearts! February 28th, 3pm EST

[align=justify]Marvelous time. The skill and talent of the server's creative types blow me away each and every time and it's always a joy to not only see everyone's hard work, but to share in that also. Well done everyone, and thank you Nathan and Ciel for hosting. The time and effort you put into creating such an environment for the arts community does not go unrecognized or unnoticed.♥

Thank you for letting me almost set the place on fire with crazy magitek inventions. (ouo)[/align]

wSIjZe.png

Thank you to everyone who came, both performers and people who simply wanted to watch. I really enjoyed meeting new friends and old and feel honoured to have performed with such talented role players. I can't wait to perform again next month.

I was overjoyed.  Thanks to everyone who came.  Thanks to Nathan and Ciel for hosting.  The Aria is such a pleasure to watch a show at.  Everyone brought something.

Kasumi opened the show with her Kabuki sword dance.  The eloquence of the language matched the grace it was describing.  I know kasumi has had a lot of practice doing this but some of ther persons in my group didn't and I really liked reading the reactions of the players to the eroticism she can write into anything.  Almost a debut, she is the centerpiece of Menphina's respite and she has all manner of exotic routines. 

Nebula, the reigning queen of exciting emote strings.  In my mind I always imagine Nebula singing long soulful notes like whitney friggen houston...Nebula, tell me if that is not the intent, because I read your songs that way.  Nebula was dressed as a pirate and she shot the orchestration machine to turn it on...that sort of behavior wins a lot of points with this listener.

Odette is on the better side of poetry.  The music was also described phenomenally.  She has a great sense of pace that really added a tempo to her performance (I suspect she and I read at the exact same speed, because it was perfect for me).  She had visual effects to.  Like the other two times I have seen Odette the thing that strikes me is the description of the music, it really puts the sound in my head.  I have a hard time doing this myself so I pay special attention to the way odette does it. 

Quri's debut was an especially nice metaphor.  A cat hunting a bird as lovers.  The performance was with a rustic flute and a skin drum which made me think a bit like I was watching a witch doctor.  She was also clever to vividly describe the character within the text of the performance leaving us all wanting to get to see more of her...and at least one lonely cat thinking: damn that skink is hot.  

Macy was just as expected.  Kinda too cool for his own hat.  An exceptional bit of poetry that I now will endorse as server wide canon to be a staple song of the twelveswood.  Immediately timeless.  If he is kind he will post the lyrics and we can sing along the next time it is heard.  Marcy also styles the character as foppish enough to laugh at and flawed enough to adore.  The character IS the performance.

Mina and Cici, this would be the second act I had seen of theirs, and it was a duet interspersed with comedy.  This is really hard to pull off and these two players do it seamlessly.  Mina was the straight-man for this performance.  Savo is convinced that Blendship, Oke and Forgate are all legitimate words.  This performance, hands down, got the most energetic reaction...it was fucking brilliant.

Arralaine gave the first true aria at the aria.  A soulful song about telling about tragic love.  The song was set into Scarborough Faire (an old song) and reinterpreted perfectly for an Eorzean setting.  We also got really well written descriptions of motion and emotion that reflected the mournful lyrics (The original is real ethereal...like a dirge) and you could tell how the sound was flowing by the descriptions Arraleine applied to the character.   

Leanne's song, I admit, I read it as a lot more aggressive and abrasive than was intended...but I fucking loved it.  In my defense, she began by deliberately detuning her guitar which is kinda punk rock.  Leanne and her guitar took the angle of the frustrated love sick.  We got three verses (I am mostly sure it was three, correct me if I am wrong) of a girl letting us know she isn't going to fall for that shit again.  IC this was Savo's favorite.  

Tiroro set us up by saying the performance was ancient.  (Like marcy, had attributed their original work to some other source..this is the soul of modesty)  It was made more poignant that Tiroro standing doing nothing makes one's heart drop, let alone singing a moving tune.  In my group I counted thirteen emotes of gushing between six players.  It evoked an earnestness and literal sweetness (like it was a song that was translated...which begs the question, was that on purpose, because it worked).

Nathan...if the bards of the free cities needed a king (we don't...we're bards) you would be anointed by whatever god decides that sort of thing.  Also, Nathan and Ciel, who put on the show deliberately took the last two spots, which often is where attention starts to flag.  This again shows the generosity of the hosts.  We were treated to a piece he knew would resonate everyone in the room.  I shan't spoil it.  Nathan post the lyrics for everyone who wasn't there.

Ciel was the last performance and hers was styled operatic.  This worked so well since ciel is a tall blonde Elezen...like wagner (vagner) couldnt have invented a singer more appropriate than Ciel.  She was dressed like she was in the eye of a sunbeam and glowed like a chandelier.  I felt that the piece was perfect to close the show, like it was an expose of the extent of art.  (It may not have been intentional but it felt like Ciel was just reminding everyone just how beautiful opera can be when done right)    

-one sewercat's opinion

I feel terrible, but my work called me during what would have been Aya's performance.  I was so distracted that I think I might have missed it.  Could some one tell me if this is the case.

Aya's was the one about being chased by a Tonberry! I played the Tonberry. :blush:

Thats right!  That is one I came back in on.  Everyone was talking about that one when I dashed back in.  Now that I think about it, I did get the tail end of that (It was a very short time I was gone).  That did get a great reaction.  Im sorry I missed it. *sigh*

It was a more than three hour show Savo! That you caught so much of it, and which such wonderful observations is absolutely terrific :)

I know it's not Savo's IC forte, but I'd love to see you writing IC reviews of performances in some capacity :-D

I wish I could mirror her observations in so much detail, but every performance offered something to enjoy from the energetic (even manic) to the sublime and understated.

And of course, I can't post without thanking Tulluride and Ciel! Such a crowd today too!

And thank you everyone for the screen shots. Janis I have no idea how you managed such a perfect one of Aya blowing a kiss!!!!

Skaengeim Winfochwyn:

What can i say. At first i was hesitant to do the transfer over to Balmung but after yesterdays show, i don't think i could regret it. It turned out to be one of my first RP events on FFXIV so far aswell! So that's a pluss!

Good show! Fun people! Can't wait to see more!

Kilid took over 400 screenshots tonight - see them all here! Thank you for letting me perform on Quri Ayaala; I was sweating bullets but I'm really glad I did it!

And of course thanks so much once again for hosting these events. I know it must be a lot of hard work and it surely doesn't got unappreciated. :)

Omg! Did you just spam the screenshot key! :)

Awesomeness