Mounts and Minions

This is not related to MY attempts at flashing out characters (I already decided to avoid mounts already since the "Renaissance Man" aspect is a little pushing it without adding "able to ride Primal Horses, Primal Birds*, Fenrir, a Griffin, and/or various Dragons" to that list of credentials (and made an obsession with collecting minions, particularity poppets/mammots, one of her quriks)

(* not that I actually have one of the Lanners...yet)

With that out of the way, I want to know your opinions on Mounts in RP. Do you similarly avoid them like the plague, do you make them part of your character, do you change the context of being able to ride certain mounts to something a little more realistic then say, winning certain amounts of MGP?

Likewise how do you treat the poppets and pets that you get while playing IC?

The great thing about poppets- especially; is that in their flavor text, they often explain them as being sold by the weaver's guild. They're often "sold out" quickly but would come in-stock again. I tend to consider poppets sorta like those silly coach bags that people buy every month. So they're feasible.

Minions are pretty simple as most aren't outrageous and are very simplistic in a way.

Mounts, it depends; stuff like chocobos, coeurls and gryphons I tend to personally use. In gryphon flavor texts highlanders would often use them as mounts. Dragons, "mythic" birds; I do not. But to be quite honest; it's rarely ever mentioned in RP and I find using them are somewhat awkward since you have to be on said mounts for them to be visible. The only real time it's come up in conversation has been on my Coeurl-tribe miqo'te.

I love using mounts and minions in RP. One of my retired characters, Nanagi Nagi, had a chocobo which was usually with her when going out of cities. To make her presence known I would either use the gyashl greens, or just type up a descriptiong as to what the chocobo was doing.

For Kanako and Aulbiene though, no mounts have been seen by there side, but I do have plans for Aulbiene to have some sort of pet; She does like animals.

In general I try to use a mount or minion that is easy to explain and fits in without much stretching. Chocobo, cat, dog etc..

For Nebula, being a witch she has two main mounts her broom and Goobbue (which she treats as a walking hill). Occasionaly may use the others if the situation suits but those are based on an RP need. Flying Magitek - nope, Though she has been trying out the Warlion (cf Aslan?) for some possible RP.

Her minion is her familiar which is a fairy but can take other forms. So her familiar is her summon creatures (fairy, carbuncle, ifrit, etc..) and is mostly a black cat in RP. I do use the frog minion though as nebula is carrying a frog (to find a princess ofc).

In terms of others, what I would ask is be consistent. Don't chop and change your look, pets. mounts etc.. And have some story behind it that anchors it in the unreality. Try to paint a consistent picture of continuity over time.

I love using mounts and minions for RP! Each of my characters has, like, at least one IC pet (but no more than three, usually just one or two) because... I like pets...

IC mounts are less common, only three of my characters have them- Shopu's adamantoise, Awyrbyrt's cavalry chocobo, and Eaubront's chocobo.

Whenever I use minions and mounts for RP, though, it's always something that would make sense for them to have anyway (as opposed to "oh this minion/mount is cool, how could I get one IC?"- with one exception that's still in development but hasn't happened yet). In Shopu's case, it was something she already had IC long before they finally added the thing to the game. Anyways, they can make for fun RP props :3

It wouldn't be overly difficult to explain a primal pony, without having defeated the primal IC. It doesn't HAVE to be that it's a primal offering at all. Maybe it's a form warped ifrit/titan/garuda egi, maybe they're a dirty heretic who was gifted an icy hornless unicorn? I've seen people RP far worse lorebends and have the RP community at large nod and approve.

The birds, hmm. Bismarck bird gifted by the vanu vanu if you do beast quest stuff? Sephirot bird came out of a big allagan vending machine for having beat the 'simulation'? LOL I don't know. The other birds I have difficulty coming up with an excuse for. Honestly it doesn't hurt anyone if you want to RP your shiny mount. If it does hurt them, uh, well. I don't know what to tell them.

If people hate the in game fantasia so much and would rather RP their soul getting sucked out and put in another body.(??? there is one instance of this I know of, KIND OF.. the miqo'te in Mor Dhona? MAYBE? Is there some BLM lore on this stuff? Maybe?) RPing a primal horse/bird being obtained without killing a primal or being something besides what they are shouldn't be so frowned upon or hard to do. Just do whatever you have the most fun doing.

Arvid himself hasn't even got a chocobo anymore since he ruined his life making stupid decisions. He only has his two feet. As for minions.. He has a doman bird toy and someone's stupid Paissa likes him. Filthy rancid monkey. At one point he had a shalloweye, to get over his nervousness of people staring at him and his hate for hair. It didn't work out. He's not really sure where the thing went either. VOIDSENT MYSTERIES.

It wouldn't be overly difficult to explain a primal pony, without having defeated the primal IC. It doesn't HAVE to be that it's a primal offering at all. Maybe it's a form warped ifrit/titan/garuda egi, maybe they're a dirty heretic who was gifted an icy hornless unicorn? I've seen people RP far worse lorebends and have the RP community at large nod and approve.

It irritates me that we have an entire in-game playable race who, in their homeland, are supposed to ride horses on the regular (xaela)... but no normal-looking horses. At all. >_>

So if youse see me riding Sleipnir ICly, I promise you it's because I'm using it as a stand-in for a regular ol' non-magical, non-Primal, biological, mortal horse, lol.

That said, Aghurlal sold his horse when he left Othard and obtained a chocobo a little while after arriving in Eorzea. It's his only animal companion thus far; but he grew up caring for steeds, so it's not difficult for him to fit it into his routine, even if the exact needs of the creature are a little different.

(Although, I will also say that in order to summon an Egi, you have to have been present at the defeat of the Primal it corresponds to. So if you're looking for reasons to have IC Primal horses without having defeated the Primal in question, form-altered Egi isn't gonna work xD Though I do think the idea of a SMN being able to alter the shape and appearance of their Egis is neat.)

It irritates me that we have an entire in-game playable race who, in their homeland, are supposed to ride horses on the regular (xaela)... but no normal-looking horses. At all. >_>

So if youse see me riding Sleipnir ICly, I promise you it's because I'm using it as a stand-in for a regular ol' non-magical, non-Primal, biological, mortal horse, lol.

That said, Aghurlal sold his horse when he left Othard and obtained a chocobo a little while after arriving in Eorzea. It's his only animal companion thus far; but he grew up caring for steeds, so it's not difficult for him to fit it into his routine, even if the exact needs of the creature are a little different.

(Although, I will also say that in order to summon an Egi, you have to have been present at the defeat of the Primal it corresponds to. So if you're looking for reasons to have IC Primal horses without having defeated the Primal in question, form-altered Egi isn't gonna work xD Though I do think the idea of a SMN being able to alter the shape and appearance of their Egis is neat.)

I don't RP a summoner and it's been.. actual years since I've done the quest. I was just tossing ideas for anyone who wanted them. I guess it could be ALTERED CARBUNCLES? ??? I mean that lady in Idleshire has that GIANT ASS CARBUNCLE. Too bad we don't get that for a mount. Come to think of it though I see a literal ton of people RPing they have egis.. and nobody bats an eye..

And.. the only normal horses in the game are for winning 100 frontline matches and they come with annoying ass grand company tack. Oh boy I'm 77/100 for mine. When I was an au ra I thought to get the damn thing but.. GOT LAZY NEAR THE END. :'D Oh well hyur now whatever.

Here's some pictures of the maelstrom one:

Storm_Warsteed_Patch.png

afefee32207fd90a4a78d87db1ab97464ae28154.jpg

(snip for length -kilieit)

I don't RP a summoner and it's been.. actual years since I've done the quest. I was just tossing ideas for anyone who wanted them. I guess it could be ALTERED CARBUNCLES? ??? I mean that lady in Idleshire has that GIANT ASS CARBUNCLE. Too bad we don't get that for a mount. Come to think of it though I see a literal ton of people RPing they have egis.. and nobody bats an eye..

And.. the only normal horses in the game are for winning 100 frontline matches and they come with annoying ass grand company tack. Oh boy I'm 77/100 for mine. When I was an au ra I thought to get the damn thing but.. GOT LAZY NEAR THE END. :'D Oh well hyur now whatever.

Here's some pictures of the maelstrom one:

Storm_Warsteed_Patch.png

afefee32207fd90a4a78d87db1ab97464ae28154.jpg

GIANT... RIDEABLE... CARBUNBLE. Okay I'm sold where do I put my money?

...and yeah, I admit I was not aware of that, but also... bleh, PvP. xD Maybe if I'd not already written my character's horse out of the picture on the understanding that it'd be near-impossible to get a decent physrep, I would consider looking up some beginner's tips for PvP, but...

I do this too and I was actually wondering whether it was a thing I could get a way with, since we have no normal looking horses and Sleipnir is probably closest thing we have... Now I feel better about doing it. xD

snipsnap

...and yeah, I admit I was not aware of that, but also... bleh, PvP. xD Maybe if I'd not already written my character's horse out of the picture on the understanding that it'd be near-impossible to get a decent physrep, I would consider looking up some beginner's tips for PvP, but...

PvP tips.. hmmm. Never run off alone, always follow the herd even if they're going somewhere kinda dumb otherwise if you run off and die alone you'll just be losing your team points. Yes when you die your team loses points.. uuuhh. It's not so bad, the worst thing about it is the queue. Aah I'm getting all off topic here. I don't think anyone would even get mad at you if you RP'd a primal horse as a regular horse. The garuda horse is kind of normal looking, sort of? Maybe? Titan as well.. if you ignore all the magic stuff going on around the hooves.

...I take it back, I forgot just how GREEN the garuda horse is. I love it but, not so normal looking. Then again in a setting where some people have 'naturally' green hair..?

snipsnap

PvP tips.. hmmm. Never run off alone, always follow the herd even if they're going somewhere kinda dumb otherwise if you run off and die alone you'll just be losing your team points. Yes when you die your team loses points.. uuuhh. It's not so bad, the worst thing about it is the queue. Aah I'm getting all off topic here. I don't think anyone would even get mad at you if you RP'd a primal horse as a regular horse. The garuda horse is kind of normal looking, sort of? Maybe? Titan as well.. if you ignore all the magic stuff going on around the hooves.

...I take it back, I forgot just how GREEN the garuda horse is. I love it but, not so normal looking. Then again in a setting where some people have 'naturally' green hair..?

Genereally speaking all the Primal Horses (Kirin replacing Nightmare) in in a color of the rainbow, I hope the Lanners take that aspect but having ether might make it a little Special Snowflakey

SPeaking of PvP mounts? I'm actually consiering make at lease one fo the Allagan Drone mounts the exception to my rule of not having "special" mounts IC. Unlike Fenrir and Kirin, having it sort of makes sense sine I plan on having her be a researching Allagan tech (also helps tie the Frontlines into it if I wanted to, since that revolves around Allagan ruins)

Like nearly anything in rp, mounts and pets are additions to characters as well. 

While Quint may have some, the best example I have is Arala and her companions.

Geppetto, who has his own wiki, is a mammet that looks like a cait sith fill. Since implementing him, he has grown in nearly a year and a half to his childlike wonder and attitude. Plus he has the trademark "Doodle!"

I simply wrote that Arala obtained Geppetto from a few spares they had in the back of the Goldsmith hall.

Bou though had a different story. He was raised since he was a chick at Arala's side...but then one moment changed her life when Chiyo, Arala's friend, wanted to start riding him in the races. Needless to say that Boy and Chiyo started to be more friendly. This as a gesture of frendship, Arala have Bou to Chiyo for her to own. This granting Chiyo her mount.

I consider the use of pets and mounts more personal to the character.

Maybe someday she will have a node. When she will be all badass.

In the meantime though... I wonder lore wise how common are actual horses in Eorzea? Just being curious.

In the meantime though... I wonder lore wise how common are actual horses in Eorzea? Just being curious.

I mean, they'd be imports from Othard, which is entirely under Garlean rule.

I reckon the huge majority of horses in Eorzea arrived because they were imported by Domans or Xaela who, when fleeing Garlean rule, were able to bring their steeds with them. Which is a bit of a precarious situation - you'd have to have somehow safely transported your animal to port, and then have there be room on the ship, and then have it survive the trip to Eorzea, not get sick when exposed to the new ecosystem and food, and adjust emotionally to the new environment.

But the fact there is a Xaela tribe who view animals as on a par with people in terms of importance, and a second, separate Xaela tribe who literally marry their horses, makes me think there are certainly individuals determined to go to any lengths possible to bring their animal with them - their presence in Eorzea would necessarily mean the presence of a horse, too. Probably various Doman nobles and similar, as well - for example: a noble in hiding following the razing, "can't bear to part with" their animal, leveraging whatever wealth or status they have left to have it transported along with them.

So on the whole - not the rarest thing in the entire world, but also not very common, simply owing to the fact that getting one out of Garlean territory alive would be a major challenge.

...more common than primal ponies, though. xD I feel like Average Joe's reaction on seeing such a creature would be "is that a Coerthan unicorn? I thought they were extinct!" and then "No? So one of them exotic 'horse', then?", not "oh, one of those manifestations of a Primal's power, but in rideable format! Cool!"

After witnessing dazzling demonstrations of how a warsteed might turn the tide of battle, the Grand Companies of Eorzea emptied their coffers at the feet of the Far Eastern uma bugyo, each seeking to put themselves at an advantage during Frontline campaigns.

Hoof to neigh, Eorzea knows not the horse for one reason: the horsebird. - Uma Bugyo

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Mount

So according to Uma- who is of the far east (see Othard) Kilieit's thoughts seems to be correct. That they would have to be imported from such locations. Very interesting to see that possibly even at the release of 2.0 if not earlier that Othard has been a consideration for the dev team.

Edit: this is Uma Bugyo, http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Uma_Bugyo

Who is a "far east envoy" part of the questline A Horse for Heavensturn

Kara has... three mounts, if you count her racer, IC'ly.

The first is Dumpling, her GC chocobo. She actually dislikes Dumpling quite a bit; he's a very stupid bird that spends most of his time trying to do an ostrich impression. She uses him very rarely, and... honestly I don't remember where he's IC'ly stabled anymore. I can probably at this point consider Dumpling to have been repo'd by the Flames. She's much more fond of her racer, Outlaw. Unfortunately, she hasn't found a way to sneak him out of the Saucer's stables yet.

And then, she has Max.

Max was meant to be one of those "white elephant" gifts -- a puppy to annoy her. She actually became very fond of the little blue-gray puppy (the wolf pup minion). Of course, like all puppies, it had to start growing up... and surprisingly, Max got even big enough for Kara to ride (Ixal direwolf mount). But as he grew, something odd started to become noticeable about Max. The first being that his coat turned blue. The second being that, even at this point and his size, he hadn't grown into his paws yet -- they were still oversized. Which lead to people asking "What sort of dog IS that..? as he continued to grow.

Turns out, Max is an Abalathian Hoarhound (Fenrir mount).

Going back to the horses thing... I could've sworn that during the 2014 event, there was dialogue SOMEWHERE in the course of the event that insinuated that horses were prohibited from the Twelveswood by the Elementals. Possibly a rumor the 'bo handlers were known to spread around so that they could keep the monopoly on mounts.

Mia usually does not have time or money for finery like minions but she keeps a Moogle minion that a child gave to her.  I play it as a balloon that floats and that's about it.  I really don't have uses for the other minions.

Although if Mia sees a cute and fluffy minion, I'll have her target it and follow it around as though she had hungry, predator eyes.  Ya know, like a cat.  She may be so bold as to pet the fluffy food.  I'd likely only do this if I'm RP'ing and the person I'm with includes the minion in RP.  Some people have OOC minions for whatever reason.

Mia still rides the grand company chocobo but considers it more like a friend rather than a utility.  She can become uncharacteristically upset if Aiko is sick or wounded.  ICly, I don't have her ride any of the other mounts.  And again, I'll RP with the other person's mount or at least mention it, if that person is including the mount in their RP.

One conceit that I do have for her is a shoulder or saddle back with seemingly limitless volume.  It is said to be a "magic bag" that's larger inside than out and was a gift early in her travels.  Is it actually larger on the inside?  Probably not. But I think of it in the same way I do my Honda Fit which has carried everything I've put in it, including a 75" TV - with the hatch closed!

Going back to the horses thing... I could've sworn that during the 2014 event, there was dialogue SOMEWHERE in the course of the event that insinuated that horses were prohibited from the Twelveswood by the Elementals. Possibly a rumor the 'bo handlers were known to spread around so that they could keep the monopoly on mounts.

The most famous horse-rider in the Black Shroud is...

odin.jpg

Ye. xD

I think I found the texts you're talking about, though:

a7a983c591.png

Each of my characters has one or two minions that are IC and one or two mounts that are IC, except my noble who has a small flock of chocobos, a couerl and a personal airship as well as a number of mammet assistants because of massive amounts of personal wealth. 

The way I figure it is so long as you don't go way unrealistically out of hand with it a few things here and there make sense. Particularly having a chocobo as it is the primary method of travel in Eorzea.