Quickchanging armor -- Okay, or not?

I've usually seen folks just handwave x amount of time to change into a different set of gear, usually accompanied by "walking offstage" basically to show their departure to do so. The quickchanging mechanic is literally just an MMO mechanic for quality of life - saving gear sets so you can switch quickly to them depending on what's needed. I don't think it's ever actually mentioned in the lore; you just "gain" gear sets as you unlock additional classes.

That said, I have seen some people work around it so they "can" quickchange. A magical item that "stores" a single suit of armor or something of the like, or some variation of glamour that somehow creates tangible gear. However, those seem to be more the odd ones out rather than the norm. Whether or not such things are okay, though, is up to the RP group. You've already stated that for your RP circle it isn't allowed, so that's basically the end of it - especially if he's being rude and disrespectful about it. I'd say see his explanation if they were cordial and polite about it, but being mean just makes me less inclined to work with someone.

And really, just another point in my own mind I want to bring up... what does it really add? Emoting walking off or otherwise spending the time to change outfits isn't horribly difficult. The only time quickchanging would be useful ICly is if you're caught with your guard down - you're in a bar and SUDDENLY BANDITS or something. Unless that's a horribly regular event to the point that people would feasibly require being able to quickly change into their battle gear, I don't see it being necessary.

And even then, there's technically work-arounds. Chachan was part of a major plot where there were rogues after him and his friends for an item he had in his possession. So he just started wearing more armor in general when walking around - and I've even frequently made mention that he's lined his smithing clothes with a thin layer of chainmail just to be safe.

I dismiss glamour as a thing despite that it seems to be indeed lore justified... I mean, it seems pretty obvious that they tried to justify a clear game mechanic the same way they did with aetherytes... I have never seen anyone use actual glamour ICly anyway. 

The only thing that annoys me a lot and could justify a quickchanging of armour is for example, you are with a certain class as usual (say MCH), and suddenly you need to switch to blades (ROG) for whatever reason because your character is brought up to use knives... And it suddenly messes up half your attire because it's MCH only... I never had to do that but I have seen people having to resort to it, conveniently retiring behind a shed, swapping, and coming back happily like nothing happened.

And it's either swapping clothes, or not swapping weapons. In both cases, you are screwed.

My conceit is that Mia either carries her gear in a saddlebag when she's not wearing it, or she's carrying some kind of bag that's larger on the inside because of magic.  This is where she might keep her sword, shield, and other necessities.  But I don't have her do any kind of quick change because it's too much of a handicap to drama.

If she's caught unaware, like in a bar or some other social occasion and doesn't have ready access to her equipment, she'll have to think on her feet, improvise, distract, or do anything she can to get away long enough to get her bag and get her gear on - or at the very least get a weapon.

I do like an anime/super sentai style transformation but that's just not a thing she's capable of, although I don't doubt that others could do it.

The only thing that annoys me a lot and could justify a quickchanging of armour is for example, you are with a certain class as usual (say MCH), and suddenly you need to switch to blades (ROG) for whatever reason because your character is brought up to use knives... And it suddenly messes up half your attire because it's MCH only... I never had to do that but I have seen people having to resort to it, conveniently retiring behind a shed, swapping, and coming back happily like nothing happened.

Oh, right, completely blanked on that. You can get around a lot of that by utilizing more All Class gear (which is why I think people keep pushing for more of it, besides just for more glamour options in general), but it can definitely suck if you have a specific look going and it's using various high-level or class-specific pieces. I want more steel-toed boots, for example, and the only all class one that comes to mind is the Tantalus outfit ones.

You can PROBABLY get away with just emoting that you pulled out the weapon without having to switch the class, though. Unless you're also wanting to include that class' specific actions or emotes...

I'll also do the "duck out of sight to get changed" thing. As far as keeping multiple gear sets handy... I just kind of hand wave a Mary Poppins' carpet bag or chocobo saddle bags.

For being able to swap from using a staff to an axe... a tunic and pants or whatever won't impede my being able to swap weapons IC, so I don't see why wearing say bard dungeon gear means I can't pick up a sword if someone rushes me. OOC I would have to change gear just because the game demands it. I just cover it by saying I've not changed clothes and my RP partners need to suspend disbelief for a moment (or, depending on situation, I'll ask that they retcon the new gearset). I think everyone I've rped with does something similar.

If you mean just... is there anything in quest text about quickchanging gear like some anime hero, I don't think so, at least not that I've seen. At this point it sounds more like a problem in dealing with a new member that won't play along with the rest of the group. >.>;

Hard to say, really. As some have said, they don't consider glamour much of a thing, even if it's canon. And SE themselves can be very hand-wavy/tongue-in-cheek with what they show/portray as being "possible."

For example: the only instance of quickchanging I can think of within the game's narrative? Belongs to the one and only Godbert Manderville.

Granted, the man just instantly loses clothing in general. But yeah. 

Is quickchanging possible in a lore sense? Maybe. But there's no hard-and-fast proof that it absolutely is. In this case? Go with what your FC has been comfortable with, up until now. If the new recruit is adamant about it being a thing, and there's no compromise, then I think they'd be happier finding something else that suits their style more. Props to actually doing some digging, though.

I would chime in and say that if your guild has decided to stick to a certain standard, including making standpoints on the more controversial points of lore and interpretations about how you take game mechanics into your RP, then you really should stick to it. You appeal to people who agree with it, and I think players themselves have a degree of responsibility to research and test out if they fit into a guild. Of course you should try to be accommodating to new recruits, but there are limits. It's much better, in my eyes, to let people part ways without hard feelings over waiting for it to build up and cause a trainwreck of drama due to differing opinions. 

Personally I do not consider IC gearchanges-on-the-quick-go to be a thing. If anything it usually makes me assume that the person is OOC. I wouldn't accept something like it as canon unless it was really well reasoned, and also something that isn't used just because they want to wear a different dress half way through a social event. It could be canon lore, but it's an OP move to have your character running around with, due to it's potential use in combat situations. It takes two emotes and a little walk away for a minute or three to get away with changing your outfit, and there's many creative ways for it to be carried around or stored conveniently nearby that doesn't involve "Hey lets put it into a pocket of magical air."

Don't think I've seen anyone do it. That said, I've seen people use magic to get their clothes off... not change them tho. Don't ask. Witcher 2 bathing scene is strong in some folk.

But I don't really consider those changes as an IC thing. Sometimes I change outfits due to Ave picking up a weapon, but I try to plan ahead with that and slap her in lowlevel oufits, so I don't have to change my outfits up completely you know?

The only point I would make is that if you decide to go change your outfit and hold up the RP for an hour because it takes a long time to get into a suit of armor by yourself, your group will probably kill you. OOC. Brutally. 

As for how it works IC, using glamour as an explanation would be a fine hand-wave I think, but I personally excuse myself to change 'off-screen'.

The only point I would make is that if you decide to go change your outfit and hold up the RP for an hour because it takes a long time to get into a suit of armor by yourself, your group will probably kill you. OOC. Brutally.

This is where fading can be helpful - easiest in small groups, though.

I personally think it'd be funny to say "okay, can we pretend an hour has passed while Character's Name changes outfits", have the ooc group leader put a ~1 hour later~ notif in party chat or whatever, and then when Character's Name gets back ""an hour later"" (30 seconds in real time) everyone's ICly really exasperated with them... xD

Works as an IC excuse for OOC AFK, too. "Sorry, family wants me to eat sunday dinner, BRB ~1-2hr let's say my character's off getting changed/ready" lol. When I was younger I had to come up with all sorts of contrived excuses as to why my character was suddenly leaving in the middle of a session; I'm sure I must've used that at least once.

...which is actually some of where an IC "just quickchange!" can be a really troublesome and annoying response to get, since then you get dragged into IC "what does that even mean" "well you see--" when the whole point was to get you out of RP.

I generally think it's best to, where possible, fit in with the atmosphere of the people you're RPing with... there's no point being contrary or obstructive for the sake of it. And if you really can't stand it or it's fundamentally incompatible with what you find fun, find another group to go with, yknow?

I would chime in and say that if your guild has decided to stick to a certain standard, including making standpoints on the more controversial points of lore and interpretations about how you take game mechanics into your RP, then you really should stick to it. You appeal to people who agree with it, and I think players themselves have a degree of responsibility to research and test out if they fit into a guild. Of course you should try to be accommodating to new recruits, but there are limits. It's much better, in my eyes, to let people part ways without hard feelings over waiting for it to build up and cause a trainwreck of drama due to differing opinions. 

Personally I do not consider IC gearchanges-on-the-quick-go to be a thing. If anything it usually makes me assume that the person is OOC. I wouldn't accept something like it as canon unless it was really well reasoned, and also something that isn't used just because they want to wear a different dress half way through a social event. It could be canon lore, but it's an OP move to have your character running around with, due to it's potential use in combat situations. It takes two emotes and a little walk away for a minute or three to get away with changing your outfit, and there's many creative ways for it to be carried around or stored conveniently nearby that doesn't involve "Hey lets put it into a pocket of magical air."

^ All of this. I don't consider it to be IC/canon, just a standard game mechanic. If you can find a way to explain it IC, it still amounts to little more than an asspull imo, and at best it's useless (quickchanging just to change outfits when a character could just walk off screen and change clothes) and at worst it's OP (quickchanging into armor when attacked). Either way, if that's your FC's rules and if the majority of your FC is on board with it, then this person needs to respect the guidelines you've established.

I think a way to get around the quickchange thing is to say it's just a glamour that they put on and take off whenever they need to. Like, for instance they could make armor look like regular clothes and vice versa. It would be just like the game mechanic, except you can activate or deactivate the crystal when you need to. Obviously, it would still remain the original it would just look different. It's really not any more useful than walking off stage, but I guess people like that kind of flavor?

That being said, if you have a standard, people should respect that standard. Especially if they're very clearly posted.