Lack of Open Pirate FCs?

The problem with pirate FCs is simple: Limsa does not tolerate piracy that it doesn't control. Thus, many people play 'former pirates' simply because otherwise, it's too hard to do so successfully.

I quite disagree! Pirates are just as doable as any other character design. It just takes dedication, effort and know your lore boundaries. The world is vast and pirates as well as any other rogue character can operate under the radar. I really would not discourage people from playing these ideas as they can be really fun!

There also aren't exactly... ships or airships that could be roleplayed on, for the sake of actually doing piratey type things while embarked. And, well, a land pirate is just a bandit.

Actually! There is the Rhotano Privateer which is embarked that is very empty with just two NPCs on board. One Roegadyn at the helm and a Hyur fishing which can be easily overlooked with a group of pirates!

It can be accessed by speaking with the Ferry Skipper in Costa Del Sol 33.29. It's just the one deck and you can't access any other part of the ship but it's still better than nothing should any pirates/travellers want to utilise it! I greatly encourage fellow pirate RPers to do so and would hope to bump into some pirates there someday.

Don't forget the Astalicia, right in the Limsa Lominsa Lower Docks:

Registered as a trade vessel hailing from foreign waters, this battle-scarred warship captained by the lord of the region's underworld, One-eyed Hyllfyr, serves as a gathering place for brigands, cutthroats, and the purveyors of sundry other breeds of villainy. It is here that the city-state's many pirate crews find new recruits to join their ranks.

The problem with pirate FCs is simple: Limsa does not tolerate piracy that it doesn't control. Thus, many people play 'former pirates' simply because otherwise, it's too hard to do so successfully.

Well, there is piracy and then there is acting as a privateer - which is pretty much the same thing, except you are limited in whose ships you may attack.

There is also the fact that quite a few "former" pirates are not nearly as reformed as they would like to appear.

Yes, I was gonna say, you have at least a few possibilities for sea pirates.

For sky pirates however... Lots of sky islands, but a desperate lack of airships in the world. Wish we could at least access our own FC airships at times.

I'd check our the Free Company and Linkshell halls if you haven't already. Also keep an eye out in partyfinder as I've seen some pirate-esque groups advertised there too!

Having been a part of a Skypirate FC before, I think it's kinda hard to put together roleplay content suited for those sort of groups so they seem to come and go. A lot of the members in our FC were good-aligned, so had a hard time actually doing... you know, pirate things. We ended up just becoming a treasure hunting company, and they eventually went down that route in terms of the FC theme. 

I would keep an open mind and broaden your search to look for FCs that do treasure hunting and scavenging, mercenary work etc. They might not be classified as pirates, but perhaps some of their members are/have been? Good luck in your search!

It is pretty difficult roleplay such characters with the lack of access to ships and water. As someone who plays a character of the Thalassocratic Navy, I have the same problem.

I do not know of any pirate linkshells that are currently active, but you're always welcome to join my all-round Vylbrand roleplayer linkshell; Knights & Pirates. Maybe you'll find someone to connect with and roleplay!