The rising and setting sun in Eorza

Rhotbahr

I'm typically RPing in inside areas, so it's not as apparent. When I do RP outside, I just figure out what time of day it should be like, and go from there.

It makes sense that the world would cycle quickly for a game mechanics standpoint when gathering is time/weather dependant. And the skybox in this game's pretty nice. There are actual constellations up there!

And the sad part is? The devs have a tool to change the day/night cycle around them ;_; if not the weather. I'd be totally fine with having something like that as well. Even if it was just a client based tweak. But eh. We ain't getting that.

But yeah, I just... ignore the night/day cycle, really. Best you can do. Or just roleplay inside.

If I want the RP to be at a specific time of day I place it at the specific time we start RPing, or whatever time of day we want. If it's a particularly long interaction I might draw attention to the change in lighting or whatever, but otherwise it stays consistent throughout the RP until the passage of time becomes established.

I generally tend to take the first time of the day that is and stick with it. Like, if it's the morning when I start the RP, then I mention it ICly, and people sometimes change it when it makes sense by mentioning it as well, or rolling with it... I like doing it organically. I don't mention it ICly all the time though. Just when I feel like it. 

We had fog setting up over an event once. It was unexpected and created interesting shenanigans. I tend a lot more to take the actual weather into account, a lot more than the time of the day (that is pretty silly going so fast). Weather can change more easily.

Yes, it bothers me too, especially because my time sense IRL is borked enough as it is! The rapid time shift is pretty disorienting.

I do like that you can see the heavens track across the sky, though, with the moon rising and setting and the stars progressing. And yes, also that there are more sunrises/sunsets.

I also tend to just completely ignore in-game time during RP. I won't even refer to it -- I'll usually decide with partners what time of day the scene takes place in. I do incorporate weather, though.

I actually find the weather to be a bit more troublesome than the day/night cycle. I mean, you can just ignore whether it's day or night... but far more people seem to respond to the weather (rain, for example), which seems to just come and go erratically over and over again. During a Grindstone, it could go from dust storm to clear to rainy to cloudy to dust storm or any other number of permutations within the couple hours that the event takes place.

I just find it more bothersome to just ignore the weather conditions because more people will react to it ICly than the day/night cycle, leaving you at a quandary of whether you react to it as well.

I suppose a good example of this was when I had Gogon watching the Runestone with An and it started to rain. We mostly ignored it, but then another character came up and engaged in conversation... and chided Gogon for not protecting his fiance from the elements. So, suddenly it changes the whole scene and its dynamics because we're now being forced to accept a weather condition we were ignoring previously. If that makes any sense. :blush:

My main use of kupobot is to check the weather. If it's not staying the same for at least 2 periods (but preferably 3), I won't mention it ICly.

Biggest problem with the day/night cycle is reaching an IC consensus on what time of day it is, considering folks are all over timezone-wise, and it's completely possible for me to accidentally "double-book" my character's evening by attending an EU evening RP and then a US evening RP on the same day - both... taking place... in the "evening", and so, unable to coincide, despite happening at different times OOC...

My main use of kupobot is to check the weather. If it's not staying the same for at least 2 periods (but preferably 3), I won't mention it ICly.

Baaaah, but that requires either (what I'm assuming is) an additional program/website or additional research to be done before going to any RP event ever. Far too much work for me! :lol:

Baaaah, but that requires either (what I'm assuming is) an additional program/website or additional research to be done before going to any RP event ever. Far too much work for me! :lol:

It's a Discord bot, and I usually have Discord open on my other screen anyway! #pcbest ;D

Usually I just... like, if the weather's changing, I'll throw a quick !weather Zone into my FC's bot channel, Kupobot will tell me if it's going away in 10 minutes or not, and I can react IC (or not) as appropriate.

6163b055b0.png

You can also ask a friend to go to a skywatcher, I guess? xD

I'm on PC too. I just have one screen like a pleb because I have yet to get around to getting a second monitor. Been debating one for Christmas. Still! I maintain my statement that there's plenty of times that I don't really want to do something like check the IG weather before an event. And that people are ICly more likely to acknowledge these quickly changing conditions far more than the accelerated day/night cycle. ;)

I really enjoy the weather and the time shift, it's just another one of those little things that makes me love this game after playing some games where you rarely see weather, or lighting changes.

Plus, the stars are absolutely gorgeous @ . @

That being said, I do definitely understand the frustration with those mechanics though. I tend to ignore it when I'm RPing unless it's specifically mentioned by others, or if it lends a bit of character to the scene.

It doesn't really bother me all that much. With any game along the lines of FFXIV there's always going to be factors outside of one's control that need to be hand-waved for the sake of immersion. The swift night/day cycles are one such thing.

I've always found it rather bizarre for role-players to react to everything going on around their character in an MMO anyway. That's far more immersion breaking in my opinion.

It's annoying to me, but I just ignore it and go by approximate US times or whatever time the RP is meant to be set (i.e. "morning" if it's some characters eating breakfast). Though I've only had it happen once or twice, the only time it's really bothersome is when another role-player acknowledges the in game day/night cycle IC and you have to either brush it off and accept it in character as well for that scene.

The rapidly changing weather and constant spurts of rain can get disruptive to outdoor RP if they're always acknowledged, too, I find.