So... that Red Mage, huh?

Honestly, I've been hoping for RDM since Stormblade was announced.

It seemed like a pretty cool class in combining melee with magic spells. And the absolute roleplay dweeb in me hoped for it for Chouwa.

RDM is definitely replacing rogue as Chou's ic class. Given her reconnecting with her aether and her issues with her right arm, a class that mixes blades and magic is a pretty good middle ground.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Red Mage just confirmed to fill a pure ranged DPS casting role, like BLM and SMN. No more support role than those two.

Very vague on how it will attack in melee (but I strongly suspect it will be similar to OGCD skill or stuff to trigger at times).

Looks cool, though I'm laughing at all the people who think it's gonna be some DPS/healer hybrid.

I would assume, though, that it will have access to a combat rez and (if still existent in the new CC skill setup) some manner of healing like Cure. So while it obviously won't be a hybrid - the game isn't really set up for that - it might still be able to do some pinch healer-work much like a SMN can.

so it would like the BRD pre-changes ? alright, not sure it makes sense but, ok.

Now if Red Mage was like a SMN, Healer, BLM combined THAT might give some interesting mixture, but otherwise I dont see the purpose, personally, yet I am one of those that was looking forward to having this class into the game.

Lets wait and see.

Until I see someone roleplaying or acting as Macho Man Randy Savage in Red Mage gear...

I'm going to sit back, wait for Samurai (or Blue Mage), and see where it goes.

So far my bet's that:

1. Abilities trigger a melee/ranged stance mode and ability properties change based on what stance the player is in.

2. 1-2-3 combo where the first two abilities are ranged, then the third ability goes into melee quickly before sending the player back into ranged again (think something like the Dragoon leap, where it teles target forward then back to original position).

So far my bet's that:

1. Abilities trigger a melee/ranged stance mode and ability properties change based on what stance the player is in.

2. 1-2-3 combo where the first two abilities are ranged, then the third ability goes into melee quickly before sending the player back into ranged again (think something like the Dragoon leap, where it teles target forward then back to original position).

I'm wondering if it'll just be a sort of DRK-comboish thing. Like, you HAVE your melee ability jump-in ability from the get go and can use it whenever? But, like using Dark Arts, if you use a spell or a chain of spells, it boosts the damage of it significantly.

... Or maybe something like Greased Lightning where you build "spellchain" stacks and that boosts the damage of the melee hit depending on how many stacks you've gotten. I dunno. Just ideas.

Red Mage just confirmed to fill a pure ranged DPS casting role, like BLM and SMN. No more support role than those two.

Very vague on how it will attack in melee (but I strongly suspect it will be similar to OGCD skill or stuff to trigger at times).

I'm not against this, as I like to play pure DPS, which I am doing with Machinist and Summoner... but I do think it could have been cool for it to have SOME support spells. Not necessarily direct healing spells, but maybe like a spell that boosts someone's MP or a 10-sec spell  which does a bit of healing to the party equivalent to the damage the RDM does within those 10 seconds... stuff like that.

Well, all we can do is wait and see what they give the Red Mage. ^^

In order to avoid the whole "I've been an amazing fencer the whole time you guys" thing, I've created a new character with the purpose of grooming them to become a RDM. I do plan on having them go through a swordplay training arc though.

That's what I'm doing too. Just changed my alt (soon to be main) who is this Elezen who has studied as an Arcanist and is now training some swordfighting to see if they can combine. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

It certainly has a warrior-scholar feel I'd attribute to Sharlayan.

I'm hoping it's not a case of "ultra rare super secret art that only like, one person in the entire world will ever learn".

I'm hoping it's not a case of "ultra rare super secret art that only like, one person in the entire world will ever learn".

If it does end up being Sharlayan in origin, I wonder if the quest line will have a similar situation as the AST one - considering Sharlayan's oh-so-friendly approach to any of their potential combat-usable knowledge being spread around.

If it does end up being Sharlayan in origin, I wonder if the quest line will have a similar situation as the AST one - considering Sharlayan's oh-so-friendly approach to any of their potential combat-usable knowledge being spread around.

I think 5.0 is gonna be on the other side of the map. I dunno why. Just....feeling.