So... that Red Mage, huh?

I'd like to say I could use it as my character, who already fights in melee and uses magic... But I'm getting the feeling that this job is going to go the way of WoL-only with that weapon, fighting style, and the "combination of White and Black Mage" thing.

A rapier doesn't fit Jana at all anyway ;w;

I'm covered mostly on the Black Magic side but I think they used the terms White and Black Magic because players are more familiar with that those names, rather than calling it Thaumaturgy and Conjury, since they pretty much practice lesser forms of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks interesting as a playstyle, but in before the dreaded animation locks for that melee rush in as seen on the video... Guess DRG might not be the only one left to wipe the floor because of that...

Lol, animation lock is my bane. You'd think having played DRG for the better part of a year I'd have learned to work around it by now, but for some reason I still forget that NIN's Assassinate has one and end up sticking my ass in an AoE more often than not.

I'm gonna die so much while getting the hang of that charge. xD

Would be nice if they let us toggle off the display of the floaty-thingy like you can toggle off the appearance of Gauss Barrel. Probably not, though. Edda knows how to use a rapier, mostly for show of course, so I'm ready to hit this job up ASAP (somewhat) ICly...

inb4 the job is basically WoL exclusive lore-wise ala White Mage. Ripperoni and cheese. Most likely not going to happen. I hope.

Would be nice if they let us toggle off the display of the floaty-thingy like you can toggle off the appearance of Gauss Barrel. Probably not, though. Edda knows how to use a rapier, mostly for show of course, so I'm ready to hit this job up ASAP (somewhat) ICly...

inb4 the job is basically WoL exclusive lore-wise ala White Mage. Ripperoni and cheese. Most likely not going to happen. I hope.

Tbf that still wouldn't stop her from just waving a rapier around.

But yeah, I'm super curious to see the lore behind the Stormblood classes.

I'm extremely pleased. I also mained RDM back in FF11, which is what sort of launched my tendency to lean towards classes in MMOs that're either jack-of-all-trades sorts or hybrids.

As I was musing with friends about how RDM would work in FF14 while staying true to what makes RDM feel like RDM, one of my main suggestions was that they could have some official equivalent to Umbral Fire/Ice or Cleric Stance. Where instead of attack vs heal/fire vs ice, you switch between melee and magic, and you had to build a resource for using magic (or certain types of magic) via your melee abilities. Feels good to know I was right on the ball with that!

I plan on making my Ala Mhigan alt a RDM in-character, class lore permitting. (Worst case scenario is that she's a fencer who also picked up thaumaturgy at some point. Not a stretch at all.) The plan right now is that she'll act as a teacher of the art to two of my friends' characters. So we're all pretty excited for it!

(Of course, if they ever release Blue Mage... Depending on how it's handled, my plans could change.)

Likely won't play it, definitely not an IC choice, but I am eager to watch it in action.

My husband, however, is so on board with the class it hurts. All he needed to hear was "rapier and spells" and his ears shut down as he was immediately sold. He loves character classes with high style and dresses his BLM in very high fashion, So RDM is likely going to be a hit.

(Worst case scenario is that she's a fencer who also picked up thaumaturgy at some point. Not a stretch at all.)

This is what I think as well. Mine will most likely be an Arcanist experimenting with swordplay and combining the two, should Red Mage be "WoL only".

However, I've noticed that alot of RP'ers kinda just go "screw that" and play as a Summoner who can summon Ifrit, Shiva and even Alexander, White Mages, Dragoons etc...

I understand why, because the whole restriction of "WoL only" jobclasses is rather annoying. That you can't ICly play the class you chose to be, the class you enjoy playing... Who needs that?

Anyways, sorry, that's for another topic. :P

(Worst case scenario is that she's a fencer who also picked up thaumaturgy at some point. Not a stretch at all.)

This is what I think as well. Mine will most likely be an Arcanist experimenting with swordplay and combining the two, should Red Mage be "WoL only".

Sounds like what I was debating with Gogon - except replace the straight sword with his swordcane. :love:

Well, that's if I decide to have him go that route. I had another angle with him I was going for a bit as a sort of Arcanist 2.0/Calculator route... but that's kind of been left idle for a while. So I'd have to figure which route I want him to go.

My theory is that it'll be a Sharlayan discipline born from their study of the both white and black magics. Their AF gear looking like Old World gear (maybe?) might indicate that, but that might also just be overanalzying.

Are people bothered that their characters might be...uninspired, given the oncoming onslaught of IC red mages? Of course, my priorities in RP are different, when most people go by the doctrine of "I just RP for fun, not to break ground in the art of online improv".

That's just the way of things, really. HW brought a flood of suddenly DRKs and MCHs and ASTs. How many stick around will ultimately be the staying point, both in PvE and in RP. Besides, we still have potential other jobs waiting to be revealed - with how much hype people are having for Samurai supposedly "being confirmed"... you might see more of them than RDMs come the next expansion should it be true.

I wonder if the NPC quest giver for RDM will be Alisaie.

I'm also interested in this if only because SE hasn't confirmed one way or the other if you'll need to be current on 3.x story to begin Stormblood. Since she's MIA from the opening cutscene up until 3.3 it would be weird for her to show up as a job NPC.

But SE also said they didn't want to gate new stuff.

Regarding the inevitable onslaught of incoming RDMs, I'm just bracing for how many people suddenly reveal that they're excellent duelists on top of whatever else they've been RPing for however long. It happened a lot with DRK, and I expect it to be a continuing trend.

Edit:

Spider-Man Shirt Speculation:

Peter Parker is attacked by a radioactive spider.

Peter Parker survives and learns how to use spider attacks.

BLUE MAGIC, BABY.

Regarding the inevitable onslaught of incoming RDMs, I'm just bracing for how many people suddenly reveal that they're excellent duelists on top of whatever else they've been RPing for however long. It happened a lot with DRK, and I expect it to be a continuing trend.

Up until now Virara's method of fighting mages has been simply to get in their face and punch them in the diaphragm so they can't chant or focus enough to channel aether. With a sudden renaissance in melee abilities, I imagine spellcasters in general will write their spells as faster than previously characterized even at the risk of inconsistency. I suppose a new method will be necessary.

Up until now Virara's method of fighting mages has been simply to get in their face and punch them in the diaphragm so they can't chant or focus enough to channel aether. With a sudden renaissance in melee abilities, I imagine spellcasters in general will write their spells as faster than previously characterized even at the risk of inconsistency. I suppose a new method will be necessary.

Amusingly, Chachan's new combat technique still works here: break their stuff. Can't do your casties or your stabbies if your fancy rapier is busted. :thumbsup:

Anyone who knows me from the XI days knows that Hyrist was primarily a Red Mage and has always been the part of a magical Swordsman.

I've kept Hyrist away from 'job' aspects intentionally because I was holding out for RDM specifically. Lin's been at the forefront of my storytelling where Hyrist has effectively played the part of 'a drunken lush'. I don't expect that to change too much. :angel:

As far as how it ties into his personal plot, or even if it becomes an IC thing, it will depend on the lore of the job. But Gameplay wise, yes, playing. They got blind loyalty and a decade's worth of gameplay programming backing that up.

I can't shake the thought, however, that the job will be Thavnarian in origin, so that might be tricky.

Until we know what the lore for the class is, I'm holding off on assuming people will just crank their power knobs to 11. I'm just really certain there's about to be a ton of red mages turning up, discovering their power, finding soul crystals or whatever other "I've been here all along" kind of justifications sprout up. Sekrit Au Ra and all, you know?

That's just the way of things, really. HW brought a flood of suddenly DRKs and MCHs and ASTs. How many stick around will ultimately be the staying point, both in PvE and in RP. Besides, we still have potential other jobs waiting to be revealed - with how much hype people are having for Samurai supposedly "being confirmed"... you might see more of them than RDMs come the next expansion should it be true.

Everyone (or, well, alot of people, at least) want to try out the new shiny toys! But like you said, then some people go back to what they know and enjoy while others fall in love with the new jobclasses and stick with them. RDM is just one of the new toys presented, but it is one that ALOT of people have asked for since FFXIV was first announced. Me being one of them. ^^

However, as for Heavensward, I was first in love with the Dark Knight! I still am, but it's the concept and appearance of it. I love how they look, I love the lore, they are just awesome! But it's a Tank... and I suck at Tank. I've always been DPS. And so, funny enough, I found the Machinist to be really enjoyable and then stuck with it on my current main, Cail.

However, Red Mage would not fit Cail at all. He's a Highlander hands-on and very physical type of guy who never understood that much about magic. However, my very first character in FFXIV was an Elezen Arcanist who became a Summoner, which is now my current alt. And it just feels ALOT more natural for him to be a Red Mage, also because my FFXI character was an Elvaan Red Mage. Because RDM is such a stylish and graceful magic class, it just feels right to have it be an elven character. To me, at least.

am curious to see what the other classes will be though. I might find them fun to play as on another alt, or maybe it would feel natural for Cail to become one of those.

I wonder if the NPC quest giver for RDM will be Alisaie.

I'm also interested in this if only because SE hasn't confirmed one way or the other if you'll need to be current on 3.x story to begin Stormblood. Since she's MIA from the opening cutscene up until 3.3 it would be weird for her to show up as a job NPC.

But SE also said they didn't want to gate new stuff.

Edit:

Spider-Man Shirt Speculation:

Peter Parker is attacked by a radioactive spider.

Peter Parker survives and learns how to use spider attacks.

BLUE MAGIC, BABY.

Alisaie would be a cool RDM trainer. As soon as I saw her doing her thing in that cutscene (no spoilers ;P ), the first thing I thought was "RED MAGE"! So I could see her be part of the whole Red Mage job questlines. It would also make sense, should RDM be Sharlayan in nature.

Also, I love that theory on the Spider-Man shirt. Makes sense to me. ^^

Half of the new RDM won't even be good at the job. Just like MCH who spam got shot and can't manage ammo, DRK who don't use DS and can't keep MP still for their life, and NIN in STR gear.

I admit, I am not the best player. However, I do my best to try and be at least good at playing the classes I've chosen and not make such mistakes you've mentioned above. I try and go online to get tips on how to play a class, so I won't make mistakes like using the Blank ability on Machinist while in dungeons/raids, stuff like that... seriously, people using the arguement "But it is part of my rotation!" just don't seem to care...

However, we're all learning the new jobclasses at first, finding out what works and what doesn't, when to use what abilities and spells, etc. So yeah, it will be somewhat of a clusterfudge in the beginning, but in time people will learn how to use them.

... except those who just don't care.

Edit:

I write "However" alot... sorry.