Primals in RP?

That still really leaves us wondering about the qualities of tempering though x.x.

Here's a pretty comprehensive post going over what we know of Tempering and its effects. In regards to why some are able to recover somewhat after a first-tempering experience, it's because tempering isn't always a one-and-done deal. Depending upon the dose of the primal's aether a person receives affects how quickly one becomes tempered. Thancred later hints that susceptibility to tempering may even be affected by the victim's anima or aetherial fortitude.

I think someone mentioned that Titan doesn't temper.

Sidenote that every Primal has the ability to temper, though not all of them choose to as frequently as others. This includes Titan:

We Maelstrom officers would' date=' of course, like naught better than to shatter the belligerent old boulder ourselves, but we cannot risk losing our soldiers to tempering. Once again, we must turn to the seasoned veterans of the Scions.[/quote']

He is almost certainly still in shock' date=' but… But we cannot discount the possibility that he succumbed to the primal’s influence. Should that prove to be the case─[/quote']

He must be put to death' date=' like any other thrall. Such is the Alliance’s policy, yes?[/quote']

Judgin’ by what the little feller said' date=' I doubt he’s been corrupted. Sayin’ that, we’ll keep him close till we’ve heard a bit more─just to be on the safe side.[/quote']

Pardon? You wish to slay the Lord of Crags? A woman who can’t be tempered? Useful…but it will not be enough. It is true that the Company of Heroes fought and felled primals─but each victory was bought with the lifeblood of brave men and women. And Titan was the worst we faced. Aye' date=' we defeated him─in the end─but he took from us some of our very best. Even if you possess the power you claim, I have no reason to believe you will succeed.[/quote']

…Unsurprisingly perhaps' date=' these pariahs are not permitted an audience with the Lord of Crags, and thus their ranks are free of fanatics enthralled by the primal’s influence.[/quote']
Sidenote that every Primal has the ability to temper, though not all of them choose to as frequently as others.

I forget whether I read it in in-game dialogue or in a speculative forum post, but I think there was some mention that the Ishgardians were afraid the heretics had been tempered (frozen?) by Shiva, and were relieved to find that Shiva had not tempered anyone; the heretics followed Lady Iceheart because they wanted to.

Other Primals who did not temper are King Moggle Mog, and Enkidu of dubious canonicity.

Moggle Mog was summoned by the Mogglesguard of the Twelveswood Moogles. Judging from the circumstances of his re-summoning for Extreme, the Mogglesguard did not summon his Extreme mode because they were tempered, but merely because Kuplo Kopp tried to lecture them and they got pissy.

Having said that, the quest for the regular Hard version does mention the possibility that Moggle Mog would temper the Moogles eventually, so it's still possible. Also apparently Moggle Mog was first summoned back in 1.0, but I don't have any details on that.

I don't even know what's going on with Enkidu.

Also wanted to ask about what the deal with the boss of Xephatol is doing summoning Garuda so easily... and then she just poofs?

it's a final fantasy game

summons have always been a thing

But by those means, can anyone summon any primal with just a little aether and will at any time? Not just summoners/arcanists?

What's sustaining their existence or keeping them from going berserk to have their own will to obliterate everyone around them or drain every source of aether in sight? In every other case of a direct summon (and not summoner's wanabee chicken nugg titan/garuda/ifrit/etc), has been the result of intense will + aether crystals/aether in general that summons the likes of a near self righteous god into the world. In his case, he just summoned her for a bit and she goes back in just a few moments.... What's the difference here? Just intended purpose/will or amount of aether?

Also wanted to ask about what the deal with the boss of Xephatol is doing summoning Garuda so easily... and then she just poofs?

Of course summons have always been a thing but that instance of it is inconsistent with how it's been handled previously in this game. Which is to say it's not:

A. Summoned through tons of prayers and crystals and hangs around draining aether from the land.

or

B. A little Egi summoned by a summoner.

Of course summons have always been a thing but that instance of it is inconsistent with how it's been handled previously in this game. Which is to say it's not:

A. Summoned through tons of prayers and crystals and hangs around draining aether from the land.

or

Primal rules have been bending for a while now, and Alphinaud very briefly commented on it. It's becoming easier to summon them. Shinryu was summoned by Ilberd to fuel his own wishes of creating another Calamity, directly conflicting with the wishes of the sacrifices he used who were praying for Rhalgr. Who got what they wanted? Ilberd. And in Stormblood, there are two instances of accidental primal summonings.

or

Primal rules have been bending for a while now, and Alphinaud very briefly commented on it. It's becoming easier to summon them. Shinryu was summoned by Ilberd to fuel his own wishes of creating another Calamity, directly conflicting with the wishes of the sacrifices he used who were praying for Rhalgr. Who got what they wanted? Ilberd. And in Stormblood, there are two instances of accidental primal summonings.

Got a theory that the ease in summoning is directly tied to the weakening of Hydaelyn, since Primals are nothing but aether (belonging to hydaelyn) focused and given form through prayer and thoughts. Considering that a dispelled primal stays an entity within the lifestream, perhaps as hydaelyn weakens, it becomes easier and easier to cross the barrier back into the living world.

I think that summoning Primals is becoming way more common in the recent storyline, but it doesn't seem any easier for non-WoL types to take them down. It took an NPC character death to entrap the Primal that Ilberd summoned, and then...

... only people with very strong versions of the Echo (by coincidental design or Magitek experimentation) could control/confront the product of that summoning.

Which is not to say the Echo itself is 'too rare,' because that one Resistance guy has it, but he's nowhere near on par with the WoL/Fordola/Zenos.

In the case of the Lakshmi summoning and the tempering that's going on there, the most plausible speculation I've read is that the WoL, OP that they are, actually uses their super powerful Echo to shield the followers from tempering. If this theory holds up, I can only guess that they don't consciously know how to do it, or else they'd shield everyone all the time.

Or, hey, maybe the WoL does know how, since they are known for taking a "group of their closest friends" into a ton of dangerous situations, up to and including Primal face-offs?