Character music

Dogberry

I don't know about a "theme song" exactly, but this song, to me, kind of exemplifies what Eva is - the tone of the song and such - it's hard to explain:

Tarja Turunen - Damned and Divine

ipxKz5GBNoM

And this one is just kind of really appropriate from a storyline standpoint, for so... many... reasons!  The lyrics and such...

Missy Higgins - The Sound of White

oiovv_srwos

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I don't know about theme songs and I don't really use music when I RP but, I think that Izaria would like this song. Not sure if it would define her though.

UEfQmUUoj5o

But who knows, it could be something that mom sung to her. Hehe I'm not really sure though.

I don't know if I literally have a theme song for them, mostly because I feel guilty when I pick them, haha. But I do have a lot of songs that are very "This puts me in a so-and-so mood"

For Ophelia..it's a tossup between several songs.

7pdtP0zEiXc

Admittedly, especially Aerith's theme. Like more than anything, lol. For Ophelia.

Am I lame for picking FF songs to represent an FF OC? ;;

(Especially this version of her theme)

zrwR6gq9lQA

For K'aworu though, 

Kind of a looooot of Silent Hill, for him. Lots of moreso depressing stuff.

His "primary" theme:

8N_PXTGdlGw

But sometimes also:

qrzNABqN420

SZmMD84XpCs

AND LASTLY. Another Silent Hill, instrumental.

K0pxOmfWAQA

To be honest, Silent Hill music inspires me a LOT for how K'aworu is and what not...so I could probably go on for ages listing music.

Character music is an interesting subject.

I have always been fascinated with the idea of having a soundtrack to roleplay to. Going to my roots, which was and still is original story IM group roleplay and 1v1 roleplay, soundtracks did not just help build my writing, but also defined it.

I recognized the value that certain musical styles and implications can have on setting the mood of a story, a personality of a character, or defining a horizon. For me, music is just as much important to providing the presentation of the story as the actual words being used.

I would of typed out a lot more about my thoughts concerning music and roleplay, but I'm very tired! lol. So I'll just leave a few songs here and my philosophy behind them.

First, a straight up theme song.

[video=youtube]

Lyrics define it. Nothing to say there besides it being extremely metaphorical. If you know Ryanti's story, this fits like a glove.

So now I'll move onto full on orchestra. I do not listen to this often for RP, but this matters towards my character purely. Thomas Bergersen is my composer of choice.

First, Ryanti's orchestral theme song.

[video=youtube]

His Promise to his Father and that of the world, to be the best he can be. It fits the image of a Princely Lion, facing his fate and doing all he can to live up to the pedigree he's been labeled by birth. Picks up at 1:00.

___

Beyond 'themes', my RP atmosphere is usually meditative and introspective. I like to stretch out with my mind, and be at peace with my creative side to perform the art of separating my train of thought with what lies directly in front of me.

I have always been a very spiritual person, and so the significance these few sample tracks of what I usually listen to have is the significance of allowing me to recognize the beauty and magic of the moment, as well as the romantic, meditative atmosphere I am going for.

Here are a few environmental tracks I use. I listen to these not just for Ryanti but also for my original storywriting. I have a specific style of writing, and specific presentation. I hope these can reflect that right.

This is not something that is based off of Ryanti. This is something Ryanti is based off of.

Kevin Kendle is one of my favorite artists. He paints a beautiful picture of dream worlds far away with his transcendent, smooth, out of this world New-Age style.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqdgmsElscI

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFDt5HV5TUY

[video=youtube]

Another artist that have captured my interest is Llewellyn. He is a New Age composer and I respect the man greatly for his spellbounding work.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJ_SrKW9Tz4

A day time equivalent to the kind of atmosphere I love to present in stories.

[video=youtube]

A wonderful 'bed time' melody. Really let's it out there in terms of uniqueness while keeping traditional melody intact.

___

So that's a taste of it. I have a ton of artists and a ton of stuff I can't really link because it's for modern time-esque, future-eqsue stories. What is here can suit XIV but originally tends to suit my original stories.

I hope whoever read all this enjoyed my foray into the kind of music I listen to in order to write like I do. I appreciate threads like these as they allow me to be myself, in a way, and show others my flavor of how I do things.

Rakka'sae Kuhn

T Bone Burnett - Shut It Tight

MZ7Ev5SN--8

[align=left]I find it hard sometimes to say the way that I feel

I do the very things I hate to do

I act like a child and I'm afraid of what is real

And so I try to cover up the truth

I stumble like a drunk along this crazy path I walk

I have a hundred thousand questions too

I'll go to any length to prove that nothing is my fault

Then later on I will deny the proof

I don't like to win but then again I hate to lose

And in between is something I can't stand

I don't care what you think and I hope that you approve

I am just an ordinary man

Sometimes I want to stop and crawl back into the womb

And sometimes I cannot tell wrong from right

But I ain't gonna quit until I'm laid in my tomb

And even then they better shut it tight[/align]

I love threads like these.

All of the music in here is great. (In particular, I noticed Tom Waits, Stray Cat Strut, Florence + the Machine, and Breath of Fire 3 stuff. Mmmmmmm!)

Rendal (or, his given name, Va'ahal Tia), is definitely stricken by a sort of wanderlust; he's never in one place for very long. Part of this is due to his rather large debits owed to some fat cats in Ul'dah, and partially because he's just a sort of lackadaisical vagrant by nature. I like to think that, despite his protests otherwise, he's not wandering -- he's running. And while he may say he's happy, he's actually quite lonely and misses something he doesn't quite understand. So in that respect I think this is a pretty good fit:

[video=youtube]

(Or maybe I'm just a huge sucker for Tom Wait's nicotine crusted, bourbon drenched, leathery voice. Who knows.)

• 2 weeks later...

Although any of the openings of this particular OVA series from Japan could apply, this is the main one I listen to that drives me and puts me "in character" and ready to kick monster butt!

:bomb:

S9b06JueIwo

:bomb:

(This song and the others in it is about focusing your passion and might and "going for it" with no limits to stop you! For those of you who need a basic translation or want to get the gist of the song.)

Have to say, I always feel like big, sweeping, epic tracks are completely out-of-place for describing characters. Unless your character is actually a walking god (and if they are, you are a terrible roleplayer), there is simply no way they can live up to such incredible grandiosity. 

That being said, I could not resist the temptation to post this: 

No, that's not a serious response! It just feels like every time "music" and "catgirls" are mentioned, this track has to be posted. For a serious response, I'd have to go with something like this:

3X_xammncfQ

T'ranu's just a rather happy-go-lucky, fun-loving individual. Sure, she's had her trials and tribulations, and she's far from perfect at that, but most of the time? Tavern music all the way! Haha. As for combat music? Well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMo_iChpals

:lol:

Rakka'li Kuhn

hlc2KYhEVRg

So I will pave this road till glory

Sets our broken spirit free

From every cross-soaked nail pours endless rain

With tears no eye should see

But they could fill our highest ocean

And the rivers in between

With every blade that flowers must grow then drown

With love our cruelest sea

So with a wonder and a wild desire

I will crawl from under every weight

With a wonder and a wild desire

Bless the day it was I shared your name

Yesterday forever speaks your grave

Hail the shower from the broadside

To the heavens down below

Draw one last breath from your fanning ship

Sink the hunger in us all

Shake the hand that speaks of freedom

Kiss hate one final bow

Till each twilight falls then rests till dawn and tomorrow's never sleep

With each word forever speaks your grave

And of the fool we shall not mention

That depraves the cries of youth

Drag not your strength from government

But from the voices they abuse

Only time will tell when this rain of hell, shall wither in defeat

Separate the bread they forgot to share, till the milk still left to feed

Though this body aches then disappeared into the ground, our seeds

He said, "I'd, I'd always comfort thee"

So I will pave this road to glory

Watch as our broken spirits soar

Resignate with perfect reason

Shut life's last gloomy door

As for my Roegadyn...

os5TXyJlEMc

There are no words. It's too awesome.

I usually have character themes, but I haven't really thought about it for my FFXIV characters...I will definitely get back to this after scouring my collection.

I had a hard time finding just one song that fit the whole character... But, I guess this works well enough until I have more access to my music.

And ... this is definitely Misericorde. Definitely. It's historically accurate!

I had a hard time finding just one song that fit the whole character... But, I guess this works well enough until I have more access to my music.

And ... this is definitely Misericorde. Definitely. It's historically accurate!

Hey, I love Fleet Foxes!

And #2.... Dat Beard... Damn the Bolsheviks for taking it from us!