Anime/Manga General

1. Expelled from Paradise

I actually am planning to watch that this week.  I was going to watch it before, but I kept getting distracted by either something I liked leaving, returning to or getting more episodes on Netflix.

The two most recent anime I've seen were Samurai Flamenco and Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, both which I liked a lot more than I expected to.  

Samurai Flamenco appealed to me on a few fronts, but the biggest draw is because I'm a big fan of Japanese superheroes like Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, Ultraman and stuff like that.  It was so ridiculous at times, but I think that just made it all the more appealing to me.

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, though, I had no real clue what to expect other than a post apocalyptic sci-fi element and giant robots.  I really expected this would be a series I would only half-watch, but I was a bit surprised I got sucked in and enjoyed the story.  It was interesting to watch the main character evolve from this brainwashed soldier to an individual who thought for himself.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read manga/anime (I don't hardely read at all) nor have I watched any until a little while ago.

I've only watched Sword Art Online and am now half way through the 2nd season.

The first season I thought was awesome and somehow it helped my in immersing myself into games a lot more. The 2nd season however, snooze fest and I've since lost interest.

What would y'all reccomend as some must watch anime that's on Netflix?

I don't read manga/anime (I don't hardely read at all) nor have I watched any until a little while ago.

I've only watched Sword Art Online and am now half way through the 2nd season.

The first season I thought was awesome and somehow it helped my in immersing myself into games a lot more. The 2nd season however, snooze fest and I've since lost interest.

What would y'all reccomend as some must watch anime that's on Netflix?

First, what are you interested in? It's easier to make recommendations on what type of series you might be interested in.

Do you like drama? The shounen stuff like SAO? What grabs you?

Bear in mind, these are general suggestions and I don't remember if they are fully on Netflix or not.

Seirei no Moribito

Gurren Lagann

Samurai Champloo

Fate/Zero

Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works

Deadman Wonderland

• 3 weeks later...

One Punch Man is a great action series. Plays with a bit of tropes and whatnot.

The series originally started as a webcomic (ongoing) by ONE who cranks out snippets in his free time.

IUQAKRN.jpg

To the left is the original by ONE and to the right is the redraw by Yusuke Murata.

Yusuke Murata collaborated with him for a bit before starting to adapt and illustrate it for manga publication. Murata is known for illustrating Eyeshield 21. From what I can tell, barring small publication specials, Murata is completely following the flow, story and pace of the original.

415a714ad6ae7fe949695e015ea9d73b1362610704_full.gif

I've said before in other places that I take things and myself too seriously... but the humor in One Punch Man is great. I would like to liken it to Gintama's sense of humor if I had to.

Take a look at this Opening here

HcpVSbmphSQ

I enjoy it but the releases seem sporadic. :(

I like Osomatsu-san's first episode. I hope it continues to be funny.

It's always entertaining when they take an old franchise and try to update it for modern audiences. The rate of success can be rather mixed, but I think Osomatsu is very self-aware as a show from the sixties that it is horribly dated, and takes good advantage of that.

I really got into Rokka Braves Of The Six Flowers, and God Eater recently.

I got into the anime and then I realized that the series is more about X question problem than about anything else. I barely know anything about the world or its story. Always about the fucking extra.

Then I looked into some light novel translations and I realized I started into a train wreck. :/

It's got constant "BUT WE HAVE EXTRA BRAVES WHO IS IT" shit going on, still. -_-

I got into the anime and then I realized that the series is more about X question problem than about anything else. I barely know anything about the world or its story. Always about the fucking extra.

Then I looked into some light novel translations and I realized I started into a train wreck. :/

It's got constant "BUT WE HAVE EXTRA BRAVES WHO IS IT" shit going on, still. -_-

Yeah but it's fun putting the clues together, and figuring out who it is. I figured out who the first 7th brave was, using the clues the show gave. I enjoy things like that. I'm avoiding light novel spoilers because I want to figure out the next one too on my own.

I have some ideas.

I also just stared Brave 10 last night. I'm digging it so far (only 2 eps in though.) I <3 Crunchy Roll

I think its a kinda interesting approach to fantasy story, like a whodunit

I think its a kinda interesting approach to fantasy story, like a whodunit

It'd be much more interesting of an approach if it wasn't around 4 years / 6 novels worth, but at this point I'm more interested in something other than another take on "who's the spy" and finding out more about the demons and the Demon god with a little more than just a few stuff about the different factions.

This season, i like Mr. Osomatsu, Utawarerumono 2, (i was fond of the first back when I was in school.) Comet Lucifer, Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans. I also am curious about Perfect Insider, since it's Notamina and I've no idea what sort of show it will become.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went on Netflix add added some anime shows that I thought looked interesting.

Keep in mind I've stated before that I don't really know much about the anime genre and have only watched SAO thru the first season. SO I'm not really sure what to tell you my taatse are, or what I prefer.

I added the following:

Expelled from Paradise

InuYasha

Naruto

Full Metal Alchemist (there where several of these, but from what I can tell this is the first)

Moribito

Attack on Titan

Rosario Vampire

Freezing

Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Noragami

Any comments? Anything to add/remove from this list?

Anything to watch first? etc etc

Keep in mind that Fullmetal Alchemist (2003) is a different series from Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood.

2003 was made in a time when the manga was still early development so for the first 10 episodes ish the 2003 anime and Brotherhood anime are almost exactly the same. After that, the 2003 anime deviates very far from the manga as it had outpaced the source material.

Both are good but Brotherhood is better in my opinion.

Inuyasha and Naruto are very long series (150+ episodes each to say the least) so I wouldn't focus on them.

I personally would skip Rosario + Vampire.

Arpeggio is very very much "OK". It is mildly interesting but also not particularly great. It's only 12 episodes so technically if it's a waste, you're not wasting much time.

Here's a list of all the things I've watched. Though I'm probably missing some. Just in case you're curious about an Anime or what.

Naruto gets way better and way shorter if you skip all the filler. It basically cuts 400+ episodes in half.

That said, I'd recommend One Piece and Kill la Kill if you ever get the chance.

"Kill La Kill" is there on Netflix, but not "One Piece"

Aye. Sadly it isn't. But, Gurren Lagaan should still be up there and it's really good too. For both series, no matter how much you don't like them. Stick it out till about six or seven episodes in. They both take a little bit to get into it.

If you want a good ship anime watch space opera. 

For whatever reason all the bluewater ship animes are about weaboo waifu girl ships.

Battleship Yamato/Crest of the Stars/Legend of the Galactic Heroes are all really good. The new Battleship Yamato is fucking amazing and I'm surprised more people haven't seen it. 

giphy.gif

yamato_by_tristtrist-d6bciko.gif

Space-Battleship-Yamato-2199-animated-gif-5.gif

tumblr_mqxaycscKi1sajcjoo4_400.gif