Blood on the Sands Episodic rp event (Rules for Event 2 in first post)

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some OoC commentary from Mr. Saturday Cartoon Villains Organizer is in order. Warning: here be potential spoilers regarding bygone events.

1. No one on the offensive knew exactly what they were causing a distraction for. The one most in the know was Osric, who only knew that Jin'li would be inside the city and up to... something.

2. Fun fact: Southern California imports the majority of its water from the Colorado River. That means that Los Angeles, one of the largest cities in the United States, is extremely dependent on a non-local source in order to support its population, to the point where the local drought this past year forced local and state governments to consider water restrictions/rationing. Supporting a large population with imported resources is difficult, but not impossible. I've heard tidbits here and there from Kahn'a: apparently there are already several efforts underway to shift Ul'dahn dependence from local to non-local sources.

3. Bottled drinks should still be safe, meaning repercussions for unwitting patrons of the Quicksand and other such establishments should be, for the most part, nil... as those drinks would have been bottled prior to the Atrocity (I like that name). This might be enough to hold over parts of the population.

4. IRL, the average human can go for up to 100 hours (three to four days, usually) without water. Same should go for Hyur, and from there you can extrapolate expected needs for the other races.

5. There will definitely be consequences and repercussions for those involved in the event. There's no getting out of this cleanly for anyone who works, willingly or otherwise, for Jin'li.

6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

For an OOC look on what Franz/Merc knew ICly, a lot of the bad guys weren't told what was happening. We were just hired to cause a diversion. 

Needless to say, some of the non-collared bad guys *cough cough* may want to do something about it. It will be interesting to see how he hears of the poisoning, you know, living with Kage and Nat.

Good luck with that defense when you next come back to Ul'dah :-]

Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.

The big thing to consider here is that the hired folk didn't even have a clue what the plans were. I'd say quite a few of us were upset/disgruntled about what happened, and there will probably be some side-changing. From an OOC perspective, I don't think Franz wants Jin'li's money anymore. ...it's probably poisoned too. :geek:

But IC perspective, the only person who really knew Franz was there was Natalie. (Pretty obvious when they heard each other talking). Kage probably has a sneaking suspicion too, but we haven't RPed anything about that yet.

For an OOC look on what Franz/Merc knew ICly, a lot of the bad guys weren't told what was happening. We were just hired to cause a diversion. 

Needless to say, some of the non-collared bad guys *cough cough* may want to do something about it. It will be interesting to see how he hears of the poisoning, you know, living with Kage and Nat.

Good luck with that defense when you next come back to Ul'dah :-]

Yeah, there's not going to be a lot of sympathy for the non-collared.  Even the collared folk Hornet thinks should have taken their own heads rather than do what they did.  But she's a hard-ass like that.

The big thing to consider here is that the hired folk didn't even have a clue what the plans were. I'd say quite a few of us were upset/disgruntled about what happened, and there will probably be some side-changing. From an OOC perspective, I don't think Franz wants Jin'li's money anymore. ...it's probably poisoned too. :geek:

But IC perspective, the only person who really knew Franz was there was Natalie. (Pretty obvious when they heard each other talking). Kage probably has a sneaking suspicion too, but we haven't RPed anything about that yet.

From an IC perspective you're even worse than the collared folk, willing accessories to mass murder.  So.. good luck if you try to return to Ul'dah, don't mind the armed mob!

Well let's just say this, people don't and did not like that some people did some roughing up for the Syndicate when they were being blackmailed. ICly Kage knows certain people wanted Nat's head for orchestrating an event to try and help her dear friend that turned into a debacle. He scrambled around to try and stop any of that sort.

How do you think people will react to the death of hundreds? Knowingly? Even at the threat of one's own life?

I honestly expect that people will be on two sides of the spectrum. Rise to crush Jin'li and those who are helping him knowing full well what has and is going to happen. The other, those who lose morale and are defeated leading to riots etc.

I'm pretty sure the Syndicate will be going full force to stopping this. Their wealth is going to take a hit because of the artificially inflated cost of imports. Funds to go to the brass blades and Immortal Flames to crush them. They certainly won't be happy about all the decontamination and flushing out of the water sources that aren't natural. But any groundwater? That's fucked.

6. This is what happens when you let the flashy, nonsensical frontal assault distract you from the real threat. You get Jin'li in ur base, killing ur d00dz.

To be fair this seems to be less a conscious choice on the part of the defenders, and more just the way it was GMed. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt present it like this.

Everyone breathe. We're all invested, yes, but we should remember we're discussing the actions of our characters first and foremost.

Osric's post is on the money. This isn't a "everyone in Ul'dah on 7/12 is dead" situation, but it's going to increase tension. It's almost amusing how similar the MSQ from 2.3 lines up with this sort of thing.

There are plans underway to alleviate, but not remove, the looming threat of dehydration. There are plans underway to handle potential events on the way.

The victory means nothing if you don't have to overcome something to attain it.

To be fair this seems to be less a conscious choice on the part of the defenders, and more just the way it was GMed. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldnt present it like this.

From what I've heard, there was supposed to have been a conscious effort from the defenders inside the city to keep a watch out for any potential subterfuge.

Apparently that fell through for numerous reasons.

*shrugs*

I'm pretty sure the Syndicate will be going full force to stopping this. Their wealth is going to take a hit because of the artificially inflated cost of imports. Funds to go to the brass blades and Immortal Flames to crush them. They certainly won't be happy about all the decontamination and flushing out of the water sources that aren't natural. But any groundwater? That's fucked.

Think like a shark. Those water supplies have to come through SOMEONE's trading outposts, from someone's business, from someone's caravans. The deaths of hundreds or thousands of commoners means nothing in the face of unrivaled profits AND the ability to increase your own station by cutting off your rivals' heads.

The Syndicate goes where the money goes, and right now that's in the hands of dying citizens willing to pay any price for water.

Everyone breathe. We're all invested, yes, but we should remember we're discussing the actions of our characters first and foremost.

Osric's post is on the money. This isn't a "everyone in Ul'dah on 7/12 is dead" situation, but it's going to increase tension. It's almost amusing how similar the MSQ from 2.3 lines up with this sort of thing.

There are plans underway to alleviate, but not remove, the looming threat of dehydration. There are plans underway to handle potential events on the way.

That's fine and good Warren... but were the players of these characters all aware that their characters were forfeit when they joined the villain side?  That's going to be the end result of this (if it is to be believable).  Its something for Askier and his crew to think about before they set the results in stone.  That's why it had to be brought up.

Warren, SOMEONE's trading posts are those outside of Ul'dah for the most part. That means that those bringing those items in are losing money because they have to drive their own costs up. And the riots will come when they force those costs onto the people. Ul'dahn merchants would lose out to Gridanian or Limsan merchants etc.

Dehydrated people will pay any price for liquids, yes, but the Syndicate's own wealth is going to take a hit while they ration their own saved goods for themselves and try to make that profit. It's not going to be easy money for them.

I imagine the Syndicate's got their fingers in as many pies as they could. Someone was up at the crack of dawn chartering exclusive rights to potable water with vendors in Limsa and Grid. Someone's supply company elsewhere in Thanalan's got sole use of the trade routes to get things there. Easiest way to climb the scoreboard is to cut out those under you.

If I've got water, and I know you've got money, well... You wouldn't want your beautiful wife or kid to die of thirst, would you? I could be swayed to part with some of my water before offering it to the public, but you'd need to pay a pretty price for it. Don't worry, once this whole thing is concluded I'm sure you'll be able to make it back.

Cutthroat business is aptly named.

As a player whose character has alliances with the Syndicate, and plotting all the time with another player who works intimately with the Syndicate...

Mass poisoning of the water supply of ALL OF UL'DAH is not something neither of these two characters above are happy with.

And like with everyone else here, and with the cut scenes that were seen with the Leviathan main scenario, I would think the Syndicate opinions on this would also be split. Some looking solely to the profits, and others to the welfare of THEIR OWN BACKYARD. 

But because Syndicate is an NPC organization of the setting, I will only voice what the characters I control think and react to.

That being said, I think there are some interesting developments on the horizon! :bouncy:

And it seems no one that created the diversion yesterday actually knew what Jin'li was up to, but is now potentially accessory to mass murder. Let RP decide how that plays out, let's not go pass hard fast judgments yet. This is just the beginning after all! Let the story play out folks! :D

That's fine and good Warren... but were the players of these characters all aware that their characters were forfeit when they joined the villain side?  That's going to be the end result of this (if it is to be believable).  Its something for Askier and his crew to think about before they set the results in stone.  That's why it had to be brought up.

Things to remember:

1. The fate of a character is ultimately up to that character's player. No character is "forfeit" unless the player chooses to give it up.

2. Consequently, it is up to each player how the consequences of their actions play out in a somewhat realistic, believable fashion. No one gets a free out... but that doesn't mean they don't get an out.

Case in point: depending on how things go, Osric may get taken into custody, thrown in prison, charged with treason, scheduled to hang, broken out of prison, and have to flee for his life. Alternatively, depending on how any potential plea is received, he may be exiled, or taken into a black ops unit, or hanged, etc. ...

I hear you, but what starting to bother me is the absoluteness of the scope of this.

Every source of water in Ul'dah has been contaminated with a toxin that kills people within 24 hours.

That goes beyond "increasing tension". Speaking personally, what I'd like to know is:

• Shouldn't the NPC guards of the city be able to prevent some of the water supplies being poisoned?
  • How lethal is the poison when it's at the dilution it would be in the water supply? What percentage of the population is susceptible to that?
  • If Jin'li was able to do this undetected, how was anyone able to find out that it even happened? What percentage of the population drank a lethal dose of the poison before that happened?
  • If I were running Ul'dah, and I became aware that this had happened, I'd assume someone was attacking the city. I'd focus on mitigation, but I'd also call up everyone who could hold a sword and ready a defense. This includes both guarding the Sultana (event 2) and the aetheryte (event 3). How will that affect those two events?

This is a large event, and as large events often go, things go awry because people aren't aware of the whole picture. My concern is that this makes it too easy for the villains to achieve victories* that would have long term ramifications which are difficult to play out.

This is a big wall of text, I know. I don't want to sound like an Angry Andy, and I don't want to sound like I'm calling Askier or Osric out for putting this together - this is a fantastic arc, and it's been a lot of fun to play in it (as it was to play in their last arc). I just feel that the actual details of these tension-increasing events need some clarification.

Every source of water in Ul'dah has been contaminated with a toxin that kills people within 24 hours.

That goes beyond "increasing tension". Speaking personally, what I'd like to know is:

• Shouldn't the NPC guards of the city be able to prevent some of the water supplies being poisoned?
  • How lethal is the poison when it's at the dilution it would be in the water supply? What percentage of the population is susceptible to that?
  • If Jin'li was able to do this undetected, how was anyone able to find out that it even happened? What percentage of the population drank a lethal dose of the poison before that happened?
  • If I were running Ul'dah, and I became aware that this had happened, I'd assume someone was attacking the city. I'd focus on mitigation, but I'd also call up everyone who could hold a sword and ready a defense. This includes both guarding the Sultana (event 2) and the aetheryte (event 3). How will that affect those two events?

I'll have to bow out at this point, as Askier'd be the best person to address these questions/concerns. I know he gets off work later tonight.

Guest Ragnar

This is definitely going to leave large, sweeping lines in the sand once it's said and done. I see lots of reformed villains and broken heroes by the end.

I'm very excited to see how this event will affect everyone involved. Alexei already has some changes to make in how I RP him that I never saw coming. :D

The water is tainted, yes, but there was less than an hour passed between it being started and it being discovered. There will be a wave of casualties at the start and it would immediately plateau because of the Flames and Red Wings working on spreading the word. We're not talking genocidal numbers here, but definitely the equivalent of a terror attack.

...man, Atrocity really is the right word for this.

The water is tainted, yes, but there was less than an hour passed between it being started and it being discovered. There will be a wave of casualties at the start and it would immediately plateau because of the Flames and Red Wings working on spreading the word. We're not talking genocidal numbers here, but definitely the equivalent of a terror attack.

...man, Atrocity really is the right word for this.

Reminds me of the anthrax scare the states had for a while.

Things to remember:

1. The fate of a character is ultimately up to that character's player. No character is "forfeit" unless the player chooses to give it up.

2. Consequently, it is up to each player how the consequences of their actions play out in a somewhat realistic, believable fashion. No one gets a free out... but that doesn't mean they don't get an out.

You can say this all you like, Osric, and I know that you are prepared to accept the IC consequences for Osric.

But good luck to anyone who tries to convince people that they took part in this plot, and wound up as anything except:

A) Dead

B) Permanently on the run from authorities, vengeful relatives, and the demons of their crimes.

Mass murder is not fun and games.  Its not redeemable; its not excusable; its not explainable.  They can pretend that they have escaped the consequences somehow, but they shall not RP with me.

Case in point: depending on how things go, Osric may get taken into custody, thrown in prison, charged with treason, scheduled to hang, broken out of prison, and have to flee for his life. Alternatively, depending on how any potential plea is received, he may be exiled, or taken into a black ops unit, or hanged, etc. ...

Orrrr maybe Zhi will finally have a way to firmly put him under thumb and therefore removed as a threat. Teehee. Now just to update ic knowledge. . .:|

I hope that any merchant/trader FCs are getting involved in this! This is the sort of thing that makes me wish I had that sort of character. Legit rp reason to broker deals under tension? Yes please!

I really admire all the hard work in the rp that is happening in Ul'dah, ooc tensions aside. Do remember that this is only Askier's second event, and that it's impossible to organize things in a way that will please everyone when there are a lot of people involved. I think if something happens that you don't like, or you like to be kept oocly informed, just pm the organizers and ask them to next time please give you a heads up as you don't like feeling like the rug has been pulled out from under you. That way they can surprise the people who like being surprised while not making anyone feel like they've been duped. Win/win?

Keep up the good work, you lot. This rp sounds so delicious.

edit - and remember, playing the blame game isn't fun either. I know for me sometimes I can do something and be all happy and excited and think it's cool -- only to have someone really upset because it wasn't the sort of thing they're into. It happens. It's easy to forget that the sort of rp you're comfortable with and love isn't the sort that everyone else loves.

It's rp! Rather than feel upset, put heads together and start working out ways to solve the problems at hand. :) You're all super talented, creative people. I have faith.

I really admire all the hard work in the rp that is happening in Ul'dah, ooc tensions aside.  Do remember that this is only Askier's second event, and that it's impossible to organize things in a way that will please everyone when there are a lot of people involved.  I think if something happens that you don't like, or you like to be kept oocly informed, just pm the organizers and ask them to next time please give you a heads up as you don't like feeling like the rug has been pulled out from under you.  That way they can surprise the people who like being surprised while not making anyone feel like they've been duped.  Win/win?

I agree entirely!

1) Aksier is amazing, and he's done a wonderful amount of work with this event.  I love the guy!

2) Everyone involved in the event has been amazing, and there's been terrific RP.

3) I contacted Aksier privately with my actual issues with the event, as always he's a champ.

4) The reason I have posted what I have in this thread because I decided overnight that the players should have a chance to understand what is at stake here for their characters.  I don't think that many of them realized that their actions would be leading to their character's involvement in so many innocent deaths.  That's something that the event organizes, and players involved, should talk about before its set in stone.

5) If that's the route the players want to take, it may have great story potential.  I am re-evaluating my own involvement just because the scale of the event is well out of reach of anything I ever wanted Aya to be involved in, and I'm not sure that I want to add surviving this sort of atrocity to her resume.  But my own personal concerns aside, everyone is free to RP with their characters as they like :)

Yes people can be made accessories to a crime. Not all accessories are punished the same way as the principals. Many hired hands do -not- know what they were being hired for but for the fact that a distraction was being made. For all they knew this was just an attack on the Sultana and not something that would kill people within 24 hours of consumption. They know now... because the entire city is now in chaos. Riots will happen soon. - This is my assumption based on people saying that this is now widespread information ICly?