Non-Adventurers and the Quicksand

So, not long ago, I was participating in some rather enjoyable RP with one other person, while the Quicksand was fairly empty. A couple of other people there, mostly AFK/just listening in as people are wont to do. Anyway, it eventually comes out ICly that Andrea isn't part of the adventurer's guild ICly. This is then followed by this: (sorry for text wall, btw, I just am AWFUL with summarization!)

Andrea Jackson: "Heh, s'appreciated, but there's no way Ah'd be able to contact ya if anythin' -did- happen. An' no. Ah ain't new to the Adventurer's Guild, 'cause Ah ain't ever signed up."

L_________: What... are you doing in here then?

Y_________: "It is a public Inn, and tavern in general. All is welcome."

Y_________: "I am no Adventurer myself."

Andrea Jackson stares at the man for a moment as if he'd lost his mind before gesturing to _______. "What she said..."

L_________: It is the adventurers guild... it has a bar, but it is the guild before. And the inn is only open to registered adventurers.

L_________: Has the keeper mistaken you for guildmates?

Y_________: "Untrue, sir. While I can understand your ignorance, The Quicksand is for all those who seek respite from Thanalan's harsh deserts."

L_________: Errr.... you are mistaken. There is the coffer and coffin a short ways away for civilians.

Y_________: "Are adventurers not Civlians? I see no Grand Company rank obvious upon your persons. And that aside, Grand Company ranks are not granted to all Adventurers, just as all Adventurers are not apart of a Grand Company."

L_________: I am of the Yellow Serpents division of the Twin Adder. And no, Adventurers are not civilians.

L________ holds his ear and speaks "Cousin, you around?"

L________: How do you deal with civilians crowding the guild?

Y________: "As you have mentioned you struggle with finding purpose, mine has been serving the citizens of Eoreza." She glances to L______. "Adventurers, or not."

Andrea Jackson: "Funny, Ah'd think if anyone would have a problem with non-adventurers bein' here it would be Momodi..."

Andrea Jackson: "Even then, Ah didn't think adventurers were this prejudiced against non-adventurers."

G________: " 'Scuse me lasses, did I just overhear tha' yew two aren't apart of that guild?"

K________ carefully watching the two ladies at the bar. "Ye know, most of adventurers don't have a prob'm with civs in their bar. As long as no trouble is cause, no one cares...."

Andrea Jackson: "Heh, just confused as ta how Momodi would be against business of any kind, from any customer..." She then looks to G_______. "Ah ain't part o' the adventurer's guild, no."

Andrea Jackson: "That's what Ah was thinkin'."

Andrea Jackson: "Business is business, right?"

Y________: ((because not everyone likes to be the choosen hero of Light.))

G________: "I don't think Momodi would like someone puttin' words into 'er mouth, sir."

Y________: "Precisely. This is for any and all whom wish to rest from Thanalan. The Adventurers Guild portion is pretty exclusive."

G________: ((That's totally not the point and you know it))

K________ looks at the tan clothed woman. "Aye, business is business."

Andrea Jackson: "Wasn't the Quicksand a tavern long before Momodi took up bein' head of the Adventurer's Guild...?"

L________: (Forcing the hand of an NPC who can't participate and disregarding the most important aspect of the setting wowie zowie oooooooo)

Y________: ((I don't understand the point, I'm afraid. Not from an OOC perspective. It's a bit presumptuous to presume the only tavern of Ul'dah to be exclusive.))

K________ shakes his head. "I'm just saying how business is business an id be surprised to find one in Ul'dah who care more about who the gil comes from than the gil itself."

Y________: ((if this is an OOC QQ drama, lemme know. I'll just go to bed. But I do not work as an Adventurer ICer. And not really in the mood to argue it.))

G________: ((It isn't the only tavern in uldah, it isn't even a tavern.))

L________: (The AG is the AG. If you pay attention in the storyline you'll notice that the privileges are granted, rather than inherent)

L_______: (Established very very early on)

Y_______: ((Very well, sorry to bother you.))

L_______: (Ooooooo biggem biggem scretch)

L_______: (Also the Free Paladins hold 0 rank, position, or authority in the Sultansworn oops)

Andrea Jackson: ((Greeeaaaattt, let's scare RP away just because people don't want to RP adventurers, and still participate in one of the most active RP spots.))

>>I then walked out, and received this tell, after which I blacklisted the player:

G_______ >> ((Please don't try to play the victim when you're clearly in the wrong, I got character whos not an adventurer and I don't bring him around here.))

I'm not trying to stir up anything here but, like, what is the popular opinion towards this? Am I wrong in thinking what I did? Am I supposed to be barred from taking part in a popular RP hotspot like this one because AJ lacks the skill to be even a mildly successful adventurer?

I bring this to you guys because I'm confused, and was hoping some light could be shed on this for me.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since I am one of the blank people of text, I too would really like an opinion. My understanding, as may be stated, is that the Quicksand is a tavern for anyone and everyone, and the Adventurer's guild is just a story item that I personally do not favor following. I do not like the "chosen one" plot lines. There is not a whole lot of options throughout Ul'dah, after all. And that people looking to relax, that is one of the few offered amenities in the entire City-State. 

It's The Quicksand, a bar and inn of Ul'dah, but it is also home to the Adventurer's Guild, thus both "factions" would be welcome.

Non-members of the Adventurer's guild appear in cutscenes at least once or twice during various quests and the main storyline.  Yugiri, for instance, is not a member of the Adventurer's guild - and neither are Alphinaud and...crap, can't remember his sister's name.  Yet, they're all in the Quicksand, and no one throws them out.

Pretty sure you can be in the Quicksand and not be thrown out even if you're not in the Adventurer's Guild.  There are simply other services not available to you if you are not a member.

My character is far from a registered adventurer and she goes to the guilds when she has to. Granted she stays in Limsa mostly .. but I've found myself over in Ul'dah from time to time an I have seen other non adventurer types. Once in a while there is some that rp entertainment, or a tavern hand. 

I'd not pay them too much mind personally... I don't recall any real rule on non-adventurers not being allowed in the guilds. Maybe they wouldn't get a room for free or there wouldn't be space on some given days. I may be wrong on this but it's my thoughts..

That's what I sort of felt. I didn't feel like debating it IC or OOC, so I just left. Which kind of sucks, but eh. I'd argue it IC most times, but too tired to do so sufficiently tonight lol. 

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't in the complete wrong (I am Y in that conversation.) and if I was, I owe some apologies. Thanks goes to Andrea for posting, as it would have slipped my mind. ^^

That's what I sort of felt. I didn't feel like debating it IC or OOC, so I just left. Which kind of sucks, but eh. I'd argue it IC most times, but too tired to do so sufficiently tonight lol. 

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't in the complete wrong (I am Y in that conversation.) and if I was, I owe some apologies. Thanks goes to Andrea for posting, as it would have slipped my mind. ^^

It's possible the person brought it up out of a sincere desire for some kind of conflict RP IC, but it's just not something I would have personally pushed (or put up with).  My character isn't technically an adventurer, and I have never decided if she's a member of the guild or not. But each of the Adventurer's Guildhalls are the only functioning taverns in their respective cities.  It's not something that should be pressed, in my personal opinion.

As far as I'm aware, The Quicksand (and all other taverns) are open to anybody, not just registered adventurers. Maybe the confusion is a result of the Adventurers' Guild being located inside The Quicksand.

*Shrugs.* I personally wouldn't worry about it too much. :)

This is clearly someone/persons who in my mind is being a dick. It's not even -only- to create IC drama as it was clearly continued OOCly. 

Pretty sure the majority of people who do RP will agree with the statements in this thread.

Keep RPing away.

((By the way, if your character isn't a part of the guild... and they aren't allowed in, how are they supposed to eventually get registered to any guild? ;p I mean, that's just bad for business to throw everyone out when they walk in and aren't causing a fuss))

This is clearly someone/persons who in my mind is being a dick. It's not even -only- to create IC drama as it was clearly continued OOCly. 

Pretty sure the majority of people who do RP will agree with the statements in this thread.

Keep RPing away.

((By the way, if your character isn't a part of the guild... and they aren't allowed in, how are they supposed to eventually get registered to any guild? ;p I mean, that's just bad for business to throw everyone out when they walk in and aren't causing a fuss))

*throws Kage out because....of...well...reasons*

8-)

L_______: (Also the Free Paladins hold 0 rank, position, or authority in the Sultansworn oops)

I resemble that remark. :bomb:

Don't mind the dickish roleplayers who are more interested in telling you how to roleplay than in actually roleplaying. Those people are free to have their own 100% headcanon-abiding storylines by themselves, since most anyone else is going to prefer to have fun.

He's gonna be REALLY mad when he finds out AJ's a mecha pilot, huh?

I suppose Botulf has no place in there, nor does the waitstaff. There is nothing, nothing that explicitly states that non-adventurers are disallowed from remaining within the quicksand. The only barring I've seen of non-adventurers has been regarding housing auction -- and even then I think non-adventurers can enter and visit the housing wards. It would be pretty stupid otherwise. If that person wants to limit the scope of their roleplay by being adamant and rude about it, so be it!

Having played through the MSQ for all three city-states, my read of the lore is that the Adventurers' Guilds share space with existing establishments. The Carline Canopy, for instance, serves a variety of dishes, one of which you deliver in the plotline to a non-adventurer. The proprietors of the taverns also happen to be the proprietors of the Adventurers' Guilds, and certain services (leves, for instance) are only available to registered adventurers, but the places themselves are taverns, and that's that. Yes, they're taverns primarily frequented by adventurers (due to the AG being there), but there's a variety of side quests at them involving people there just to have a drink, who need to contract an adventurer's services, etc.

So, yeah. The people in question are wrong both on lore and on behavior. There's no need to be a jerk; if you don't like what someone is RPing, don't RP with them.

So, yeah. The people in question are wrong both on lore and on behavior. There's no need to be a jerk; if you don't like what someone is RPing, don't RP with them.

This is how I feel about this entire thing.

The latter is the viewpoint I take entirely to the jerks and their RP and honestly their OOC statements just cemented it for me.

I don't feel like the Adventurer's guild houses a bar, I more feel like there's a Adventurer's Guild being HOUSED in a bar, kind of like a McDonald's being housed in your local Wal-mart. If your not an adventure you just can't walk over and use, like, the Guildleve services.

This does bring up a question from me though, and honestly something I've not thought about. How do you sign up for an Adventuring Membership? Is it like Sam's Club? 20 gil a month? Just walk up to the counter and fill out some paperwork?

More or less... Yeah, seems to be. Remember, as far as (Ul'dah's) MSQ is concerned you sign on with Momodi BEFORE going to see your guild for your class. It seems to be a catch-all "This is what you do for work when you don't do anything else."

Hell, looks at Edda's group. They were clearly in over their heads but were all permitted anyway.

I see! Thanks for that.

Then who really cares? If it's that easy to be an adventurer and not some invitation only hullabaloo with big secret meetings or whatever, then thats a weird thing to get stuck on lore-wise.

And many of you know I am a stickler for lore, myself.

There are many reasons why non-adventurer's would be in there and doesn't even look like it's closed off from them, it only says in a passing dialogue it's for Adventurer's.

They shouldn't have treated you that way, that was uncalled for.. and it was over something really too small to be argued.